Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 801194 times)

CreepySweaty and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6990 on: September 27, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hmm, he’s not telling the whole story it seems. He went to NB to ask about something as straight forward as midsoles? Why couldn’t he ask Vans, his then sponsor, about developing what he was looking for?
[close]

Vans was very obviously not interested in developing more than a colorway with him

He mentions in that interview that he saw the writing on the wall with 'core' skate shoe brands and wanting to stay relevant and getting on Vans was probably a nice way to toe the line in theory as he could be on a major brand while still being 'core' but the reality is their shoes just don't fit what he likes and he wasn't enough of a get for them to want to invest in building something up long term
Which makes sense. Most companies wouldn’t give someone a new shoe at that point in their career (unless you’re Jordan or Lebron).

So I don’t blame Vans. They’re not really shoe nerds or big on tech, so he shouldn’t have been there in the first place IMHO. But good on New Balance.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 01:16:12 PM by OhioGuy »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6991 on: September 27, 2023, 01:36:25 PM »
To this day, the 808s are still the coolest looking Numeric shoe to me. After many years of skating vulcs, I’m now “cupsole curious” one might say (I asked about the 480s in this very thread a few weeks ago). Unfortunately all I’ve read about the 808s are that they are clunky and offer zero boardfeel. I know the 440 is suggested as a transitional cupsole, but I hate it. I want to skate the 808, god dammit. Is it really that bad?

I’ve skated at least 6-7 pairs of the 1010s and currently enjoy the 480s a lot

I got the 808s back in like feburary and still haven’t skated them. Even for a cupsole only guy like me, they are hella thick

If I absolutely had to make due with them then I could adjust, and maybe they feel different when actually skating vs wearing around, but they are most defintely some chunky boys no way around it

1010 still perfectly tows that line between boardfeel and cushioning IMO

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6992 on: September 27, 2023, 01:39:55 PM »
To this day, the 808s are still the coolest looking Numeric shoe to me. After many years of skating vulcs, I’m now “cupsole curious” one might say (I asked about the 480s in this very thread a few weeks ago). Unfortunately all I’ve read about the 808s are that they are clunky and offer zero boardfeel. I know the 440 is suggested as a transitional cupsole, but I hate it. I want to skate the 808, god dammit. Is it really that bad?
Love the look. Wore them for  three months and they’re still crazy stiff. There’s absolutely no board feel and you may as well skate in boots 😅

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #6993 on: September 27, 2023, 01:52:24 PM »
I only had a pair of the 1010s right when they came out (grey and red colorway) did the fit change a little? There was a ton of arch support in my pair so if NB made them flatter I would definitely try a pair.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6994 on: September 27, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hmm, he’s not telling the whole story it seems. He went to NB to ask about something as straight forward as midsoles? Why couldn’t he ask Vans, his then sponsor, about developing what he was looking for?
[close]

Vans was very obviously not interested in developing more than a colorway with him

He mentions in that interview that he saw the writing on the wall with 'core' skate shoe brands and wanting to stay relevant and getting on Vans was probably a nice way to toe the line in theory as he could be on a major brand while still being 'core' but the reality is their shoes just don't fit what he likes and he wasn't enough of a get for them to want to invest in building something up long term
[close]
Which makes sense. Most companies wouldn’t give someone a new shoe at that point in their career (unless you’re Jordan or Lebron).

So I don’t blame Vans. They’re not really shoe nerds or big on tech, so he shouldn’t have been there in the first place IMHO. But good on New Balance.

just throwing this out there, but AVE and Reynolds are the same age (1978)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #6995 on: September 27, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote

I enjoyed it, good read. I follow Matt Welty from Complex sneakers podcast too and love when the sneaker world and skate world come together

Jeff Mikut wearing the 600 Knox in one photo

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6996 on: September 27, 2023, 02:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I forgot about his shoe. Ah, maybe they just thought AVE would sell more shoes.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6997 on: September 27, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Vans likes their homegrown guys and AVE has been on there close to 20 years at this point

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6998 on: September 27, 2023, 04:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah their loss our gain though right?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Vans likes their homegrown guys and AVE has been on there close to 20 years at this point
also very true

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6999 on: September 27, 2023, 06:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m not saying Reynolds is skateboarding Jordan but he’s close to it. And I don’t know who would be skateboarding Jordan.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7000 on: September 27, 2023, 06:34:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m not saying Reynolds is skateboarding Jordan but he’s close to it. And I don’t know who would be skateboarding Jordan.

They couldn't do right by Tony Hawk obviously his protege couldn't get far too, now Boss man needs to Tony Hawk on NB

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7001 on: September 27, 2023, 07:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s Koston bc for years up and comers like PRod and Malto and others were called the next Koston, like a bunch of up and coming ball players were called the next Jordan.   No one has ever been described as the next Reynolds (which of course isn’t a knock against his talent)

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7002 on: September 27, 2023, 07:40:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

it would be hard to argue against him being on the mount rushmore, thats for sure. that brown on brown new balance that is no where near what is currently cool sold out at like every shop by sunday. andrew reynolds is my MJ.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7003 on: September 28, 2023, 01:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Love the look. Wore them for  three months and they’re still crazy stiff. There’s absolutely no board feel and you may as well skate in boots 😅
440 are nowhere close to be a traditional cupsole. Go for 508 if 808 are too much for you, I'd even recommend 1010. 808 are great once you get used to then + walking them at least one week
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DanRar009

• Rep: 60
« Reply #7004 on: September 28, 2023, 03:55:19 AM »

In my opinion there are no negatives with the 808, but I only skate cupsoles. To me boardfeel doesn’t matter in the slightest, and after some break in time you can feel your board just fine in them. I feel 100 percent confident skating in the 808, it saved my feet, knees, and back from pain I would get skating thin cupsoles/vulc shoes. Just try em out and commit to wearing them, it’ll take some getting used to if you’ve never skated a thicker shoe like that but trust me it’s worth the time and effort.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #7005 on: September 28, 2023, 04:26:04 AM »
@moonordie @DanRar009 Can you guys tell me something about the 808 fit? I could get my hands on a pair in my usual size for very cheap, but I've read conflicting things about how they fit and am a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7006 on: September 28, 2023, 05:52:21 AM »
@moonordie @DanRar009 Can you guys tell me something about the 808 fit? I could get my hands on a pair in my usual size for very cheap, but I've read conflicting things about how they fit and am a little hesitant to pull the trigger.
If you like snug go TTS, if you want a little room + .5. I have them both and +.5 works better for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

scab

« Reply #7007 on: September 28, 2023, 06:21:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you like snug go TTS, if you want a little room + .5. I have them both and +.5 works better for me

Thanks my man, I just ordered them. Excited for my first pair of NB#s.

boneless900

« Reply #7008 on: September 28, 2023, 06:27:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been sick for the last week so I haven't gotten to skate them yet, but I've been breaking in my 808s and I love how they feel. I prefer a stiffer, more supportive shoe so the 808 is right up my alley. I went TTS and they're snug but not overly tight/uncomfortable for my foot (you could definitely snag a +.5 if you want extra room on the pinky toes).

As of now, I see myself sticking with the 808s over the 1010s. The 1010s were awesome and lasted a very long time, however it was a bit too flexible for me and I needed something bulkier. Feels like I'm in the minority here so hopefully I can continue finding some nice 808 colorways for sale

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #7009 on: September 28, 2023, 06:47:32 AM »
how's the fit on the 213 pro court? i don't know if they still make that model but i found an older pair for cheap and i like the look, should i go tts with them?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #7010 on: September 28, 2023, 07:01:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've been sick for the last week so I haven't gotten to skate them yet, but I've been breaking in my 808s and I love how they feel. I prefer a stiffer, more supportive shoe so the 808 is right up my alley. I went TTS and they're snug but not overly tight/uncomfortable for my foot (you could definitely snag a +.5 if you want extra room on the pinky toes).

As of now, I see myself sticking with the 808s over the 1010s. The 1010s were awesome and lasted a very long time, however it was a bit too flexible for me and I needed something bulkier. Feels like I'm in the minority here so hopefully I can continue finding some nice 808 colorways for sale

You and me both 808, first modern cupsole I've skated that could pull me away from the Accel OG.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7011 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

You and me both 808, first modern cupsole I've skated that could pull me away from the Accel OG.
808 are awesome. You can wear them all day for whatever you're doing and then skate them withoutbthe need to changing shoes if you know what I mean.
Currently I'm skating some 1010, which I love, and I feel they're like a light 808.
Couldn't be happier with the options that NB# offers.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

DanRar009

« Reply #7012 on: September 28, 2023, 07:08:14 AM »

Everyone’s feet are different but I personally wear my true size in the 808. Size 12 fits perfect

scab

« Reply #7013 on: September 28, 2023, 07:16:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everyone’s feet are different but I personally wear my true size in the 808. Size 12 fits perfect

For sure, in the end I need to see how they'll fit on my own feet. Some models/brands seem to be way off though, that's why I asked (e.g. I had to downsize a full size for LRAB). From what you guys are saying that's not the case with the 808, so I'm looking forward to my pair in size 12. I've been dealing with a nagging mid foot bruise for months now, let's hope the shoes help alleviate that a bit.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7014 on: September 28, 2023, 07:44:55 AM »

440 are nowhere close to be a traditional cupsole. Go for 508 if 808 are too much for you, I'd even recommend 1010. 808 are great once you get used to then + walking them at least one week

The 508 is a fantastic shoe. Haven't skated anything from NB# besides the 440 and 508 and I don't think I even need to. Both are fucking great. 440 has an almost vulc-like boardfeel for a cupsole and the 508 is the goldilocks zone between the 440 and any sturdier shoe, providing added protection but still with nice boardfeel. Plus they both look awesome.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:08:11 AM by rikki »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7015 on: September 28, 2023, 08:07:04 AM »
speaking of the 508, can we get this sole color back or is it too samba-like/whatever?

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7016 on: September 28, 2023, 08:21:27 AM »
I just had to order the Reynolds NB# 480's from a shop in the UK, can anyone tell me how they fit?  I've heard people say that they fit a little big, so I ordered a 1/2 size down...but here on this thread I'm seeing people saying that some NB# are snug or smaller than sized...(the 808's specifically)
Anyone know how these 480's are gonna fit?

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 95
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #7017 on: September 28, 2023, 08:24:33 AM »
I just had to order the Reynolds NB# 480's from a shop in the UK, can anyone tell me how they fit?  I've heard people say that they fit a little big, so I ordered a 1/2 size down...but here on this thread I'm seeing people saying that some NB# are snug or smaller than sized...(the 808's specifically)

In my experience the 480s have been a little big, but only width-wise. I normally just get my normal NB size although in the 480s I feel like a half size down wouldn't be bad! Probably just gonna fit a little snug at the toes if you've got hands for feet like myself.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7018 on: September 28, 2023, 08:34:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my experience the 480s have been a little big, but only width-wise. I normally just get my normal NB size although in the 480s I feel like a half size down wouldn't be bad! Probably just gonna fit a little snug at the toes if you've got hands for feet like myself.

Cool, since I ordered from the UK, the sizing was not what I'm used to seeing and I've seen charts saying that UK vs US is anywhere from 1 to 1/2 size different from each other - so I had to do way too much math when ordering these and now I'm a bit stressed on if they're gonna fit... I'm sure I could sell them pretty quickly if they don't fit well, but damn I've been drooling over these shoes for so long now it would kill me to have to part with them.
I'll post how they fit / feel when they arrive - If anyone is interested I may have a pair of US size 10(ish) (ordered as UK9) Reynolds 480's for sale in a few days...but hoping not.  I'm not a reseller and I would only charge what I paid. ($123)

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 31
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #7019 on: September 28, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
how's the fit on the 213 pro court? i don't know if they still make that model but i found an older pair for cheap and i like the look, should i go tts with them?
Half size down. I wear 10 in 1010, 10.5 in 808s and I wear a 10 in 213