Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798721 times)

Space Monkey and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7680 on: November 05, 2023, 09:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@rothdigga

What's the deal w/ the 306, is that still going strong in the line-up, or do i need to stock up?

One of the best shoes I've ever skated in 28 years of riding this useless wood toy.
[close]

The Foy?   From what I hear, that’s likely their best seller.  I’d guess it’s safe
[close]

i see lot of people skating in them around LA
Same here in Prague, is quite impressive. Happy for Jamie since dude deserves all.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7681 on: November 05, 2023, 11:47:26 PM »
Was a little surprised the 600s weren’t as soft on first try on.   Do they need some good break in time?

They're not as instantly skateable as e.g. the 440, but mine broke in really quickly, pretty much 1-2 sessions and they are totally fine. I just started doing everything with them from the get go, not taking it easy at first or anything. No problems.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7682 on: November 06, 2023, 03:15:35 AM »
Btw suplerglue is needed on the stitches on 600? I'm so used to the triple one from 808 which doesn't need anything extra.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7683 on: November 06, 2023, 07:11:10 AM »
@rothdigga any word on whether or not there will be colorways of the 600 without the mesh over the toe?

want to try them but was not a fan of that on some tiagos I had.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7684 on: November 06, 2023, 11:41:36 AM »
@rothdigga

What's the deal w/ the 306, is that still going strong in the line-up, or do i need to stock up?

One of the best shoes I've ever skated in 28 years of riding this useless wood toy.

It’s the shoe that made me realize I could still skate vulcs even though I’m pushing 40, and while I’m back in cups now (loving the shit out of the Reynolds 480, and 480s in general), I really love that shoe.

Truthfully, there were some clips of Foy skating the 480s, and I don’t know the last time I saw him skate a cupsole (nike flow, maybe?), but the 306 upper on a 480 ish cupsole would be a thing I’m interested in. I think they’d sell a shit ton of those too, but I’m guessing that a 306 cup won’t be in the works anytime soon.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #7685 on: November 06, 2023, 01:30:29 PM »
The only thing that surprises me about the 306 is that Foy doesn’t have a new model
But maybe the slip version counted as such

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #7686 on: November 06, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »
The only thing that surprises me about the 306 is that Foy doesn’t have a new model
i think its a "if it aint broke, dont fix it". shoe sells well, skates well, they come up with different packs and such like the deathwish collabs and jetski versions.
the slip was great, but i don't think it sold well enough sadly.

slapattack

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7687 on: November 06, 2023, 02:03:11 PM »
@rothdigga any word on whether or not there will be colorways of the 600 without the mesh over the toe?

I too want to know this

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7688 on: November 06, 2023, 03:31:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i think its a "if it aint broke, dont fix it". shoe sells well, skates well, they come up with different packs and such like the deathwish collabs and jetski versions.

Agreed, but they can run two at the same time like Tiago.    Maybe it’s just a matter of how many pro shoes they have in the line up.    They all seem to be working at the moment, plus the addition of Reynolds in the future and hopefully the other Tom K gets the hookup

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #7689 on: November 06, 2023, 03:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed, but they can run two at the same time like Tiago.    Maybe it’s just a matter of how many pro shoes they have in the line up.    They all seem to be working at the moment, plus the addition of Reynolds in the future and hopefully the other Tom K gets the hookup

As much as Foy definitely deserves a.second shoe, I'd rather they keep it diverse and let the other guys on the team get some shine and pro models.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #7690 on: November 06, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

If we're going by following and potential sales, Chris may bump Tom K the second.  Not saying Tom K isn't deserving, but Chris's following is about 3x his and would potentially equal more sales for the company.  But who am I to say

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7691 on: November 06, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

If we're going by following and potential sales, Chris may bump Tom K the second.  Not saying Tom K isn't deserving, but Chris's following is about 3x his and would potentially equal more sales for the company.  But who am I to say

Cookie?   Based off of how NB has been running, it seems like colorways indicate who is in line.   Tom K and Frankie seem tied for most so far and Frankie has his pro shoe.   Plus Tom is a Day 1 guy, maybe the only one left (Arto and PJ and I forget who else…maybe Levi Brown and Tim Tim?)

wax poetic

« Reply #7692 on: November 06, 2023, 04:41:16 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to cookie.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm not sure the pull the other Tom K would have for a pro model but I'm biased as I know Chris.  But if I take Chris out of it, I have never felt pulled to buy one of Tom's color ways so I wouldn't be swayed for his pro model either.  The Reynolds will be ordered the moment it's available though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7693 on: November 06, 2023, 04:55:11 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to cookie.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm not sure the pull the other Tom K would have for a pro model but I'm biased as I know Chris.  But if I take Chris out of it, I have never felt pulled to buy one of Tom's color ways so I wouldn't be swayed for his pro model either.  The Reynolds will be ordered the moment it's available though.

Totally fair.   I’d have so see what a Reynolds or a Tom K look like before id make a claim to want either.   Tom Ks would likely be in the 100-300 range (numbering convention not price) so I don’t necessarily know if that’d be for me, but most shoe I buy aren’t for skate performance

wax poetic

« Reply #7694 on: November 06, 2023, 05:02:28 PM »
That's true too.  I say a Reynolds is an instant buy but that is based off of loving all of his shoes in the past.  There is a chance it may not be what I'm looking for now but I'd say there's a better chance than not I'd like it.  And I think either Chris or Tom would come in with a lower number shoe and neither of those would be a buy for me to skate in, given I've been skating the higher number # range.  I'd pick up a couple pair of Chris's for chillers and just to support him though given he's a friend.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7695 on: November 06, 2023, 05:27:50 PM »
600s arrived today (didn't skate them). I wear a US10 in everything but Tyshawn's (10.5), and ordered these in a 10.5 (luckily).

As usual with the 'square toe' (westgates/1010s NB# 10.5 seem just a hair roomy (with heel slip) so a 10 would be too small (like many reviewers on youtube note...)..so you either like them snuggie or roomy vs TTS. I think many have different opinions on which of those (snuggie or roomy) is how they refer to TTS, i.e., personal pref.

The runner eyelets, thankfully, fix the heel slip - so we'll see. I like the look of them enough to try and make them work.

Light

They're narrower than then look online; they have a long shoe look (vs something like the 480/foy/255) which is usually the case with NB# Square toes (e.g.,westgates)

No sockliner =( but a single tongue stay strap

Only one pair of (white :( laces

Zero padding - even the upper/collar is very thin

Super flexible / very thin upper (which, TBH, gives them a sort of cheap/thin feel, especially the suede, like a payless shoe)

Moderate to low arch feeling

Ortho lite insole is nothing special, if a bit stiff, not very cushy; gonna swap it out for something thicker, hopefully taking of some to the roomy fit

SKINNY mid-foot, like the 480s - if you have rubble feet, these won't be for you

They remind me of the ishods, fucking toob subway footlong shoes (but fit better)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 07:38:35 PM by Xen »

wax poetic

« Reply #7696 on: November 06, 2023, 06:03:14 PM »
I hadn't ordered my 600's yet and after that review I'm thinking I should make my way over to cowtown to see if they have them for me to try on before I just order them up. 

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #7697 on: November 06, 2023, 06:08:48 PM »
I hadn't ordered my 600's yet and after that review I'm thinking I should make my way over to cowtown to see if they have them for me to try on before I just order them up.

Cowtown should have some for you to try on I would think.  They stock most of our stuff and for sure the new models.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #7698 on: November 06, 2023, 07:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I too want to know this
It is kinda weird that no subsequent colorways have been leaked yet.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #7699 on: November 06, 2023, 07:26:22 PM »

Saw this on NB's front page. Lovely photo.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7700 on: November 06, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I too want to know this
[close]
It is kinda weird that no subsequent colorways have been leaked yet.

Yeah.  Don’t know if that one on the 288 sole is in consideration or not

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7701 on: November 06, 2023, 08:09:27 PM »
600s arrived today (didn't skate them). I wear a US10 in everything but Tyshawn's (10.5), and ordered these in a 10.5 (luckily).

As usual with the 'square toe' (westgates/1010s NB# 10.5 seem just a hair roomy (with heel slip) so a 10 would be too small (like many reviewers on youtube note...)..so you either like them snuggie or roomy vs TTS. I think many have different opinions on which of those (snuggie or roomy) is how they refer to TTS, i.e., personal pref.

The runner eyelets, thankfully, fix the heel slip - so we'll see. I like the look of them enough to try and make them work.

Light

They're narrower than then look online; they have a long shoe look (vs something like the 480/foy/255) which is usually the case with NB# Square toes (e.g.,westgates)

Super flexible / very thin upper (which, TBH, gives them a sort of cheap/thin feel, especially the suede, like a payless shoe)

Ortho lite insole is nothing special, if a bit stiff, not very cushy; gonna swap it out for something thicker, hopefully taking of some to the roomy fit

SKINNY mid-foot, like the 480s - if you have rubble feet, these won't be for you

They remind me of the ishods, fucking toob subway footlong shoes (but fit better)

They look dope
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

wax poetic

« Reply #7702 on: November 06, 2023, 08:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cowtown should have some for you to try on I would think.  They stock most of our stuff and for sure the new models.

Definitely.  It's crazy, I've only been there a couple times since moving here even though they are amazing.  I tend to default to past locals and just order.  I need to make a larger effort to get out and support my new local more.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7703 on: November 06, 2023, 08:49:53 PM »

Light

Couldn't disagree more on many of these points. Mine are 10 and TTS vs my other NB. I am skating 440s right now and they have more padding than both the 440 and 508, the upper isn't as flexible as either and doesn't feel cheap whatsoever, the insole has a low arch, but more than the 440, 480, and 508, they don't feel skinny, the padding in the entire shoe is greater than the 440/508 (forefoot, rear foot, collar, sides, heel), and they don't have a long/skinny look on my bird feet.

Its literally smack in between a 440/508 and 1010 in every way I can imagine. The insole is a skate insole and thus quite unremarkable. Zero heel slip with them. Honestly if I felt the way about a shoe as you described this one I wouldn't even buy it, but it seems you'd rather just complain about how NB don't fit you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 08:59:07 PM by LebowskisRug »

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #7704 on: November 06, 2023, 08:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
@rothdigga

[close]
Nothing planned to change the 306 as of yet.  It's still working very well for us and going strong both in the US and INTL so no changes coming or need to stock up on it, unless you want to just go buy 100's of pairs to help our bottom line I guess.  Not going to dissuade you from doing that.

Just Checking, Thanks @rothdigga

I'll probably buy 10, does that work?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7705 on: November 06, 2023, 11:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Light

[close]

Couldn't disagree more on many of these points.

Color me not surprised, of course you disagree dude, that’s your forum MO.

Hopefully it skates/is more durable than it feels (regardless of fit); it reminds me a lot of the AVE/rapid weld (which also felt really cheap material wise, but skated fine), but thinner…

Enjoy the shoe!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 12:08:30 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7706 on: November 07, 2023, 12:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Light

[close]

They look dope

Style yes, panels and mesh look great! Hence the purchase, the looking down elongated shape not so much but they’ll bag out a bit hopefully.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7707 on: November 07, 2023, 01:45:37 AM »
Roomy fit, as in tall? You could try to shrink them by soaking them in water, then dry with heat.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7708 on: November 07, 2023, 07:09:17 AM »
My size 10 are not roomy at all compared the 440 and 1010 I've skated in the same size for the last 1.5 years.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7709 on: November 07, 2023, 07:34:25 AM »
Here's a side by side with the 440, it's fairly easy to see how there's more padding and material in the entire upper: