Author Topic: I have the ollie hole disease / Why am I like this  (Read 4438 times)

NoHopeNoHarm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
I have the ollie hole disease / Why am I like this
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:50:44 AM »
I get the gnarliest ollie hole so fucking quickly. Anyone else have this problem? And what have you done to combat it?

I suppose it's because I have the gnarliest tailor's bunions on both feet. This is a bone protrusion / deformity from wearing pointy toed skate shoes my entire life. While most peoples' ollie wear pattern seems to be distributed across the shoe or at least to two or three separate spots, my contact point above the tape is literally only on this one spot. I will rip an ollie hole thru new suede in two sessions on my left foot. On my right, maybe after two weeks. I have been plagued with this for as long as I can remember and my salvation has always been shoegooing every few sessions which gets really cumbersome and annoying.

From people who have this problem, what have you done to deal with it? I've tried so many things, from using non-abrasive grip (yeah, nah), to putting rip-resistant material on the ollie spot (ends up actually wearing down the grip on the nose and eventually negatively impacts traction) to attempting to change the way I ollie to be more on the front of my foot. Nothing's worked.

If you have the ollie hole disease, I'd like to hear from you.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
Re: I have the ollie hole disease / Why am I like this
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
first, i take an old blown out pair of shoes, then i cut a circle or square out from the shoe, finally, i shoe goo it onto the pair of shoes im skating now, to avoid future blow outs.

HTH

ha.

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »
Ye I do that too, superglue another piece of suede onto the ollie area, but that just like everything else wears thru quickly and I have to replace it in a couple of days. I just wanna got to a podiatrist and get them to surgically just fucking grind this bone down

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Toss a handful of packing peanuts in there, you’re good to go.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 58
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
Pop harder so you don't have to drag so hard. Just light enough to level it out.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
I'm skating the eS Symbols rn and they have a meaty silicone pad in the ollie spot
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 10:47:25 PM »
i could never pull off that d3 knock off. I look stupid enough when i skate as it is

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 06:30:22 AM »
I'm skating the eS Symbols rn and they have a meaty silicone pad in the ollie spot
I can literally skate those for months without getting a hole.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 06:36:53 AM »
i could never pull off that d3 knock off. I look stupid enough when i skate as it is
I’ve been skating in the red symbols and the most reoccurring/annoying thing I’ve heard from other people at the park is “YO! Did you just do that in Jordan’s?” But I have had like 3 people ask me if they were D3’s too.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
I mean skate in what you want. You asked about shoes that prevent ollie holes and two people have recommended the eS Symbols. But wear whatever you feel makes you look less stupid. Seems kind of insecure but do you.

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
Oh Gosh don't be toxic Ed!! Don't take it so personal. If you recall, I wrote that I could never pull them off. But you may be able to, and in that case, more power to ya my guy.

Also I guarantee I'd still rip an ollie hole in those in five sessions or less. It's completely unavoidable for me.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Do you, playboy.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »
Skate in Chuck Taylors and learn how to ollie without turning your foot into a bloody mess.

The pain forces you to ollie different, to slide on a different spot.

It takes a while to learn but once you do you can make a pair of shoes last a while

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »
That's an interesting take... i might have to try it.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:40 PM »

Fuck other people first of all. do you skate for them or you? Skate leather shoes. I had some blazers that never holed from 09. The soles came off before any ollie holes and I shoe gooed the soles back

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
I've had leather shoes. I burned through those too. Plus leather doesn't breathe for shit and it's about to be 90+ degrees every day in NY.

For anyone that searches this problem and finds this thread -- What I have done that's helped in the past that has helped with the pain from the tailor's bunion and helped the wear pattern on the shoe is cut a hole straight through the upper where the bone growth is, then superglued on a piece of suede that covers that hole and the surrounding area of the upper. This sort of evens out the contact patch. Still grinds down more in that specific spot, but spreads out the contact a little bit.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Timbs. It's always 90+ in Florida. Blazer high's that weren't even SBs have been my longest lasting. I get a crazy callous on my right ball of my foot that always wears through my insoles I just swap.them out

Captain Party

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 06:28:09 AM »
got the same ugly deformed feet problem.
tried everything: shoe-goo, leather patches, super-glue...
nothing really works besides built-in toe-caps / pads.
like the chima 2, etnies marana, dc infinite, etc...
interestingly cons slip ons really last long. maybe it´s leather quality.
never skated nike - but a homie with the same quasimodo feet swears on them.

YungJugg

• Rep: 228
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
Mob grip eats shoes.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 06:31:01 AM »
I apply Shoe goo before I even use the shoes for the first time. Use an ice cube to put it on...makes life easier and anything that does that is rad, in my book.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 01:35:25 AM »
i don't have the foot problem...but learning to ollie in the 80's with no nose meant the drag was always big on ollies...but grip tape wasnt as grippy...anyway...only a few months ago i trained myself out of the drag on the side of my foot...and now i drag with more of the edge of the sole under my pinky toe. I dont know if its the right way, but its saving my shoes and i feel like im keeping more on my toes rather than been flatfooted on the board.

Banned from the room

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »
I'm telling you super glue gel and a piece of bike tubing is the move.

I can get like a month or two out a a good shoe with a piece of inner tube

Hombreezy

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »
Every pair of adidas I’ve ever had has lasted me super long. And I skate every single day usually for 3 or so hours. I feel like anyone can pull off adidas too unless you’re wearing shorts. Takes some extra steeze to pull off adidas and shorts

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »
Maybe try a less abrasive grip tape like jessup

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm telling you super glue gel and a piece of bike tubing is the move.

I can get like a month or two out a a good shoe with a piece of inner tube

Ok this is the kind of response I'm looking for. I'm definitely gonna try this out.

i don't have the foot problem...but learning to ollie in the 80's with no nose meant the drag was always big on ollies...but grip tape wasnt as grippy...anyway...only a few months ago i trained myself out of the drag on the side of my foot...and now i drag with more of the edge of the sole under my pinky toe. I dont know if its the right way, but its saving my shoes and i feel like im keeping more on my toes rather than been flatfooted on the board.

do you mean you don't use the upper to drag, but just the tape? Hmm. I don't know if thats possible for me or at all. How do you not turn your foot over when you ollie? I feel like my foot would just whiff the ollie or some shit. Idk. I'm gonna try this out too.

Maybe try a less abrasive grip tape like jessup

Cmon man. You think I skate mob? Actually, I'll put whatever the fuck I want between the bolts because it simply does not matter what goes there provided it has some tack or grip, but bolts and beyond its jessup you better believe it. I started skating before mob even came out dog. I think.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »
Fashion a patch of suede and stick it on the hole with super glue.  After that surface the patch with shoe goo and you almost have a pair of DCs.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 07:00:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

do you mean you don't use the upper to drag, but just the tape? Hmm. I don't know if thats possible for me or at all. How do you not turn your foot over when you ollie? I feel like my foot would just whiff the ollie or some shit. Idk. I'm gonna try this out too.

Yep its pretty much all tape.

I started put by moving my front toes closer to the middle of the board and my heel further off the board...that made me stay on my toes more...also angled my foot...so looking down at my front foot its at about 60 degrees...those two things automatically changed my ollie and where i drag...over the time ive adjusted my foot position to being a bit more natural feeling but that managed to train my foot.

I actually noticed, since posting this that not only am i not getting a ollie whole, i’m also not fucking up my laces near the collar of the shoe, which always use to tear pretty quickly.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »
Got the same problem, and I got pop for days.

As suggested, the best option is to use a flexible glue, and glue on something to protect. Wether it be suede or rubber is up to you. It does ruin the look of the shoe.

Skate nike to prevent ollie holes? Lies.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
Drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and give a trusted friend a very sharp Dremel tool and shave that bone off.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 10:51:48 PM »
I also suffer from bunions and I know the struggle of blowing through shoes. I used to be a big dunk guy but over the years the bunions have gotten worse and I can no longer wear nikes due to their narrowness. The one shoe that has done the best for me recently has been the DC Lynx. For me, the rubber outer sole sticks out enough to take some pressure of the uppers. Good luck