Author Topic: running into pros  (Read 31524 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: running into pros
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2017, 05:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was at a wedding when Jamie Thomas jumped off of a patio in my direction and I had a few seconds to decide whether to catch him, possibly risking my internet career, or let him fall and possibly risk his skate career. I kind of caught him.
[close]

Who are you, dude? You grow up skating with Ryan Nix and Danny Renaud. At a party, Bobby Puleo fucks your girlfriend. Now, you go to the same weddings as Jaime Thomas. Your whole life is a revolving door of encounters with pro skaters.

What's next? Nate Broussard is gonna pull up in his UPS truck and deliver a package to your apartment?
[close]

Tried. He tried to fuck my girlfriend. I'm just a super cool man of mystery there's no reason to be upset about it.
[close]

I'm not upset, I think you're tight, dude.

I was skating at the spot in your sig gif in NY (nice line if that's you) a month ago and some short dude with a high pitched voice complimented my Alien Workshop board like "Yaje board siiiick." I said thanks and he left but then I was like yo I know that voice who was that. Did my googles real quick and remembered he was indeed skating an Alltimers... it was def Zerred Basset.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2017, 05:31:03 AM »
Idk if he's even pro but I talked to Tyshawn Jones in a coffee shop a couple weeks ago too. Wasn't sure it was him but the sponsors verified it for me again. He was carrying 2 adidas shoe bags and wearing a supreme shirt

Dead Horseman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
A few I'm trying to remember.

Zero team showed up at our makeshift park box / flatbar we used to set up in this parking lot in Florida. Random people would show up because it was decent. Skated with Chief, Ellington, Mumford, Lopez wasn't there, Copalman didn't skate I remember. My friend that brought them there was full on trying to get sponsored pushing as fast as he could ollieing shit. hah. Pretty surreal moment. Many people did not believe us.

Jason Dill used to show up at this record store I hung out at in NYC all the time '05-'06.

Donny Barley knocked on our hotel room door at Tampa Pro and asked for rolling papers, but we only had a bowl.

Stayed in HB a lot in the summer growing up so I would see everyone around? doesn't really count I guess.

augor

• Rep: -25
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
First that comes to mind, even though I don't remember if he went pro, was Jani Laitiala. Him, TX and some other dudes were skating my local spot and Jani was just chilling nearby where I was,dude farts hella loud and says "smells like strawberries" laughing.

Another good one is Darren Navarette and Jon Ponts trying to find a room in Vegas at the Fremont (where I worked front desk) this turned out to be that "It could've been a Buddy Holly story" Thrasher article. They had on the pilot hats and everything,so rad.

I literally ran into Jeff Lenoce beat boxing to himself leaving virgin records once.

I met Jeff Grosso at Hot Topic,which is embarrassing yet funny.

Please elaborate. This sounds like the potential for a great story.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
Had dinner at quantiro with Jlay, chopper dave, brad,and some dudes on friday

doublesteveburger

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Was part of a group art-exhibition a few months back sponsored by vans. Not really 'ran into' considering it was a given that some names would probably be there but it was rad meeting Rowley and JLay. Even waited in line to use the restroom for what seemed like an eternity chatting it up with Axel Cruxburger. I'm not even going to attempt to spell his last name.

Oh, and having Van Doren BBQ'n was another highlight that night. Watched dude feed the Tempe homeless burgers and dogs with the biggest smile on his face.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:22:09 PM by doublesteveburger »

such

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
ate a burger with luan. or well he sat down next to me. biggest fucking douchebag ive ever met. im 80% sure he was on coke too. he started giving me shit for not talking enough, before i could even respond he told me to stop talking so much and skate more. really weird dude, mood swinging all over the place. he kept cracking jokes about baby scum bag being in jail which was pretty funny but then he would suddenly get really mad.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:13:41 PM by such »

Nora9

• Rep: -81
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
he gives off heavy coke vibe

Nora9

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
u guys ate the same burger?

Nora9

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »
what does luan get on his burger nh

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
ate a burger with luan. or well he sat down next to me. biggest fucking douchebag ive ever met. im 80% sure he was on coke too. he started giving me shit for not talking enough, before i could even respond he told me to stop talking so much and skate more. really weird dude, mood swinging all over the place. he kept cracking jokes about baby scum bag being in jail which was pretty funny but then he would suddenly get really mad.

Did he offer you a bump at least? Sharing is caring...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »
told these before but ah well:

- I went skating with my friends in Barcelona and at parallel we rolled up and heard a dude screaming like hell. We rolled a little further and it was Rob Dyrdek just losing it. He looked and acted like an asshole and was yelling at the filmer. He landed the trick after ages (smith flip out?) and excused himself to the filmer and us for cursing. Packed his stuff right after he landed it, still kinda pissed, and walked off. But he still said 'bye guys, have fun!' to us...

- At the same trip we went out in the city and saw Jim Greco getting thrown out of a pub. We didn't say anything, he was wasted/stoned as hell... but we were all in awe.

- Kris Markovich did a demo at the shittiest local park ever (on an all plastic course) and literally KILLED it. Said hi to all of the kids and advised us to learn wallrides (after he stuck a HUGE one). ? Took his advise, slammed very hard > Fuck you Kris. Random thing was he that we went eating afterwards and he talked to my parents quite long, which was cool.

- Penny walking around the macba neigbourhood, I was too afraid to go talk to him.

- Tom Knox (the OG) randomly showed up at the '1996 Belgian championships of skateboarding'. I think he was on tour and they invited him or something. I was skating outside and he came outside as well. I bumped in to him as I wanted to go inside again. I was just some 14 year old kid and thought he was going to freak out. Dude was super super cool. I was just getting into photography and I shot some tricks of him on the mini ramp. I just had a convo with him on insta as well. I love Tom Knox.

- At a Nike Sb demo, Youness took my Lance Mountain board backstage to get signed by Lance. They invited me ? backstage as well and I ran into Wieger and Koston on the way in. They both liked my Morrissey shirt. But what I still remember VERY well is that in the back P-Rod was sitting in some kind of couch with literally 4 HOT chicks around him in the couch, and dudes sitting on the floor in a circle around him. They were all looking at him and he gave me small nod when he saw me. He kept smirking and looked like a gangster that just pulled off a major drug deal. ? I litteraly think I was just a few seconds away of getting called to go kiss his street league ring or something... but fortunately I had to go. That was 'odd' to say the least...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:10:27 AM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

Nora9

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2017, 04:32:36 AM »
i talked to rodney mullin while high on acid at least i think it was rodney mullen it may have just been hobo

shit_for_brains

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »
Who's doing cocaine before sitting down to eat a burger?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2264
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
After the Muska KOTR episode I remembered meeting him at this convention right when he was starting Circa, the ghetto blaster was there and Chad was in full TSA gear yelling on the mic connected to his radio. Dude was super positive and rad,eventually his ghetto blaster died but he kept yelling "CIRCA FOOTWEAR YA'LL KNOW" into it.

Alsl ran into Jim Greco there,drunk as fuck,he signed tbis noise maker that podium was handing out and says "What the fuck is this,a dildo?" Another good quote "I ride Baker for my health" since that shit was about to drop. Later some other homies took care of his then drunk ass as he polished a bottle of jack

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »

this is hilarious

Griselda Blanco

• Rep: 1
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was at a wedding when Jamie Thomas jumped off of a patio in my direction and I had a few seconds to decide whether to catch him, possibly risking my internet career, or let him fall and possibly risk his skate career. I kind of caught him.
[close]

Who are you, dude? You grow up skating with Ryan Nix and Danny Renaud. At a party, Bobby Puleo fucks your girlfriend. Now, you go to the same weddings as Jaime Thomas. Your whole life is a revolving door of encounters with pro skaters.

What's next? Nate Broussard is gonna pull up in his UPS truck and deliver a package to your apartment?
[close]

Tried. He tried to fuck my girlfriend. I'm just a super cool man of mystery there's no reason to be upset about it.
[close]

I'm not upset, I think you're tight, dude.
[close]

I was skating at the spot in your sig gif in NY (nice line if that's you) a month ago and some short dude with a high pitched voice complimented my Alien Workshop board like "Yaje board siiiick." I said thanks and he left but then I was like yo I know that voice who was that. Did my googles real quick and remembered he was indeed skating an Alltimers... it was def Zerred Basset.

That's a sick story. I always figured Zered had to be like 4-feet tall.

Dude in the gif is Soy Panday, tho. I wish I could nosegrind like that...
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
If the year is 2000/2007 I'll take you up on a nose bag and burger any day.

such

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »

it was at demo/ warmup the day before xgames.

such

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »

he got a regular cheseburger, but he didnt eat the tomatoes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i did ask him if he was on coke but he just gave me this weird awkward laugh.

McJagger

• Rep: 3
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
saw bobby worrest pushing around downtown the other day and stared at him thinking "oh shit that's bobby worrest".  then he made direct eye contact with me, saw i was just staring at him, turned away, and started pushing faster...

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2264
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »
saw bobby worrest pushing around downtown the other day and stared at him thinking "oh shit that's bobby worrest".  then he made direct eye contact with me, saw i was just staring at him, turned away, and started pushing faster...
Scared away like an opossum

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Pigeon

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »
someone who is addicted to cocaine

Nora9

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2017, 05:27:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

he got a regular cheseburger, but he didnt eat the tomatoes.

wow thats dope i do the same thing lol fucc tomatos usless wet things

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2017, 06:04:11 AM »
Henry Sanchez was filming a line at Pier 7 and I cut him off. Gave me a very angry look.

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
I had just watched Bag of Suck when it first came out visiting NY for a weekend, and we went for tacos. Our boards were lined up on the entrance an Jerry fucking Hsu walks by just staring blankly at our skateboards. It was trippy as. I then exploded my kneecap at the white tile bank to wall spot in Coney.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
When I was a kid I went to some contest and got Paul Machnau to sign a Hubba ad for me.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
I moved to Louisville KY shortly after they built the park there. 2003?  Anyways, i got to run into plenty of "pros" during 13 years I lived there.  I first met Lance Mountain there. He introduced himself to me. Shaking his hand he said, "Hi, Im Lance Mountain." I kinda chuckled, smiled and said, "I know who you are"  Ha. The only time I actually puled a Fan Boy was to Chris Miller. I was way day drunk and just tripping on how good he was. I kept calling him "Mr. Miller!!" I def Kooked out there...

Not Unlike You

• Rep: -23
« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
I will share a few from my childhood since skateboarding sadly has become the more so about the business as of late for me.

When I was younger I would skate EMB, the old one, it was a great spot, but the ground was really rough. You'd hit the brick at times and slam, but it wasn't my favorite spot, but I would go there to see what was possible. I would buy nearly ever video, but in person things seemed more tangible. One of the pros who was very nice to me was Shamil Randle.

I remember a few times he would set a price (I forget how much) and I would buy his box from his sponsors, I remember my friends and I did that a few times split the cost and would be pretty hyped.

- Cairo Foster is a really nice guy, but would skate the greater East Bay Area and was known for going to spots locals had done a film-worthy trick and do the same thing. I remember seeing him skate the Walnut Creek J.C.C. gate gap as well as Northridge rail and feel odd seeing him doing tricks that other locals had shot photos with the same photog, a guy named Bruce who was tied to Think.  Not to bury the guy, he always remembers me and if he sees me he'll give me shit for this, but it is just what he is known for.

- Sean Payne on one of these trips to the Northgate rail, a bunch of skaters went to the Northgate High School rail to shred. This was a staple for Corey Duffel in his prime and when Corey filmed everyone would come out since he was doing tricks on rails most hadn't thought at the time. Sean was a scrawny, tall kid, who talked sheepishly. He rolled up to the spot and tailslide it multiple times, everyone was pumped, Matt Field filmed a 50-50 down it in his real to reel part, most of us wanted to try a 5-0 that day down the rail so it was motivation. Sean then became a folklore legend as he landed on about 30 Tailslide kickflip outs snapping a board or two, all the while being humble a good guy.

- I use to see Trevor Prescott and Gary Smith when in I lived in the outer mission, I remember seeing them film a line that was beyond belief. I linked the clip below. I had seen Trevor around and we talked. He was a really good guy, he filmed me do a trick at a spot in the mission that day. I miss those days in which, it was all about making a few hundred dollars floating aimlessly, running into a fellow skater and pushing yourself, I guess that's why I enjoy watching some of the east coast videos a lot.

- I remember skating the 3-up, 3-down in the mission and Stevie parking a brand new Lexus or Benz, something fancy in the red. He went on to do some tech trick, I want to say something switch into a fakie manual in about three or four tries with some random filmer he brought. I never saw the footage, but he was really cool. The cops came after he left and we sat on the steps thinking they were going to talk to us, but they never approached us so we left while they lingered in front of the stair well.

- Mike York was and will always be in my opinion one of the nicest skaters. He was really fun to be around and in the hayday of the Yeah Right video would just be a good dude along with Karl Watson. They were like the nice people who protected the young skaters whereas Henry Sanchez and a few others would enforce rules such as "no wax", no getting in their way while filming, etc.

- I would skate with one guy from 510 back in the day since I thought it would help me turn pro, but it was always a bummer. He'd take me to odd spots that were the opposite of fun, play a bunch of boring jazz, complain about skateboarding (something I loved) and then post a lot on fecalface. I remember a few times going to bump to bars hoping to shot a photo and getting wrecked based off the sheer unenjoyment of the day.

I have more, but I am going to eat I hope this was enjoyable to some.