Author Topic: Lame corporate shoe company has lame corporate skate video premier  (Read 22768 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Wow adidas! You are SO PROFESSIONAL! You should feel proud! I went to your premier on Saturday in San Francisco, and wow, you are total piles of shit who have no respect for skateboard culture. Let's get into it a bit, shall we?
1) In both LA and SF you made SKATEBOARDERS going to a SKATEBOARD video premier check their skateboards at the door of the theatre. That's right:
SKATEBOARDS ARE NOT WELCOME AT ADIDAS SKATEBOARD VIDEO VIEWINGS.
What the fuck is that shit? Its the type of shit that happens when non-skateboarders set up a skateboarding event.
Don't try to blame the venue, because you could have ASKED IF SKATEBOARDS WERE ALLOWED if they made the rule, but when talking to a Castro theatre worker, he said he was pissed he had to enforce such a stupid rule. I've skated to the Castro many times, and until ADIDAS had a SKATE VIDEO SHOWING, there was never a problem. Along with that, those checking in boards said "take a picture of your board just to be sure." Cool, you confiscate our skateboards at a skateboard video showing, and then won't even ensure they will be treated properly.
Again, don't blame the venue, you fucking booked it in both SF and LA and could have figured that out, if you actually were run by people who cared about skateboarders aside from the money they have to spend.

2) This ticket BULLSHIT. So in LA and SF you had both tickets required and a guest list for people who skated for shops. How did that work out?
Well, in LA, people who had tickets and were on the guest list were denied entry. Why? Because FUCK skateboarders.  I had a friend on a shop's guest list (I won't mention the VERY LARGE southern California skate shop, not chain, my friend was on the list with as to not drag them into this), he got there early, lined up, was on the list and was denied entry. We know Nike had no problem throwing shops under the bus once they got big enough, it appears as if Adida$ is all about it too. But y'all wanted that, let's be real.

Then in SF, you had the opposite- you gave out more tickets than the theatre had seats again- which is total bullshit and disrespects your customers with a false ticket, but this time, the theater didn't fill up. I wanted to grab something from my car and wanted to walk out of the unfull theatre real quick, knowing at this point that they weren't even asking for tickets. I go to the front door and I am told if I leave, I may not come back. What the fuck was that? Was this a high school dance or a skate premier? I literally told the guy the theater wasn't full, and you didn't need tickets to enter. He said he was going to remember me if I left and intentionally not let me back in. Cool, so now I'm some sort of criminal? FUCK YOU.
The tickets had ZERO correlation with admittance. In LA, a ticket wouldn't get you in, and in SF, you didn't even need one. Just some sleazy marketing trick that intentionally disrespects anybody who thinks the ticket they just got means anything.

3) Marc Johnson. Not much else needs to be said that hasn't already. No respect there.

Here's my main point- Adidas may market itself as being down with skateboarding and all about the scene, but when it comes down to actually doing business with and interacting with skateboarders, they don't have any respect for us. They don't care how our culture works, they don't care how our scene works. They disrespect shops, shop riders, and people who actually *gasp* ride their skateboards to a skateboard video premier.

Let's be real, you can like Adidas shoes if you want, just acknowledge, they ain't skateboarders, they don't care about skateboarders or skateboarding aside from the money they can take from us. 
If this event was a sign of things to come in the skateboarding scene, then things are looking very depressing moving forward.

Don't buy their shit, especially this video. You can EASILY pirate it from online, and most people I know already have done so. Just ask around. Those fucks don't respect you, why on earth would you give them your dollars? Why on earth would you respect their right to treat you like shit and take your money?
Fuck that.
Fuck adidas and their corporate bullshit. No matter how much marketing you do, no matter how many experts you hire, you'll never be skateboarders and you'll never understand skateboarding. Go the fuck away.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

mareo

• Rep: -342
Re: Lame corporate shoe company has lame corporate skate video premier
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »

Here's my main point- Adidas may market itself as being down with skateboarding and all about the scene, but when it comes down to actually doing business with and interacting with skateboarders, they don't have any respect for us. They don't care how our culture works, they don't care how our scene works. They disrespect shops, shop riders, and people who actually *gasp* ride their skateboards to a skateboard video premier.

Yet they sell more shoes than those brands who do.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Also, Addidas fucked over everyone in the video by making it so goddamn long and packed with riders, that nobody really got to stand out. About half way through, I started thinking I was ready for the video to be over and then it went on for like another three hours.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
The premier in Vancouver....theatre was empty....no advertising.....no one knew about it.....

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
The NYC one was fucking dumb too. As someone who actually organizes events, it is mind-blowing how fucking hard it was to get a decent answer to "I have a ticket, where do I stand in line?"

Also the fucking Lion King live in the same building didn't help.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
is adidas traveling city to city or is it a PR group handling the ground work?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Would you be more upset if it were a Nike premiere?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
Why aren't these things hosted outdoors?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
^ A local SF video called "sprinkles" did just that the night before. Had people meet at the DMV and then skate into the panhandle (of golden gate park) where they had an inflatable screen and a generator with speakers and a projector. It was fucking rad, and actually an event made for skateboarders by skateboarders with love.
is adidas traveling city to city or is it a PR group handling the ground work?
Even if they aren't, they hired the contractors.

Would you be more upset if it were a Nike premiere?
No, I'd be just as pissed. Though I'll even give credit where its due- I've been to nike premiers, and none were as shitty and lame as this one.

Simply put, adidas only cares about the wallets of skateboarders, and are trying to turn our culture into theirs, not adjusting how they do business to fit how our culture does things. Fuck them. Really appreciate that shit move where you guys made me take sides between two of my favorite skateboarders, you fucking corporate pricks. FUCK YOU ALL (including the fucking sell outs on the team who decided their money is more important than our culture- the definition of sell out)

micky682

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
Why don't they just let skate shops host premieres either in the shop or somewhere nearby. Just give a copy of the video to the shop and let them have smaller premieres. The Deathwish video was like that and I loved watching it at Pitcrew, it was mellow and fun.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
Also, Addidas fucked over everyone in the video by making it so goddamn long and packed with riders, that nobody really got to stand out. About half way through, I started thinking I was ready for the video to be over and then it went on for like another three hours.
I don't think the problem was length to be honest, most recent Crailtap videos have been as long or longer (Yeah Right, Fully Flared and Pretty Sweet). I'd say the problems was cohesion and trying to fit in too many riders and parts. With a team that large a better strategy might have been the Nike approach, which is break the team into 3 seperate videos of about 45 to 50 minutes in length. Between the Gonz narration, and amount of riders the video felt overloaded. Granted, I disagree on your standing out point, Silas and Busenitz 100% did for me.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
I went to the LA premier and had a great time enjoying drinks with a ton of friends, and on Adidas dime might I add. To add to that, a lot of the great people I got to see and hang out with were flown in by Adidas.

Sorry to hear you had a shit time Ronnie, I'll admit I've been to big premiers on many an occasion and thought it was a shit show and barely worth it, but hey, it's a brand spending a ton of money so you can see something for free.

*this post was not paid for by adidas, said poster posted of his own free will.
I need a coffee

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • JACKASS
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »
Quit bitchin
The 1947 premier in philly did the same thing (board check)
They wouldn't even let me (already had checked in my board) in because I drank a beer in line... It's the venues not the company

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:07 AM »
Not stoked about having to check boards in, drove to event.  ;D Finding shit to bitch about for the sake of bitching.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
^ Nope. skated there. Not that you would know, but hey, that proves my point is pretty solid if corpo whores have to make up facts about me in order to defend their masters.
Quit bitchin
They wouldn't even let me (already had checked in my board) in because I drank a beer in line... It's the venues not the company
So why is it that on EVERY OTHER NIGHT that venue allows skateboards?

I went to the LA premier and had a great time enjoying drinks with a ton of friends, and on Adidas dime might I add. To add to that, a lot of the great people I got to see and hang out with were flown in by Adidas.

Sorry to hear you had a shit time Ronnie, I'll admit I've been to big premiers on many an occasion and thought it was a shit show and barely worth it, but hey, it's a brand spending a ton of money so you can see something for free.

That's because they know you as an industry guy with some sway. If you worked for or owned a shop, you'd be treated like shit, like my friends were down there.
Let's be real, you know DAMNED WELL they weren't giving out free drinks to everybody, just adidas determined "vips" (even though they gave out more VIP wristbands than they had VIP seats- real classy....

And wow, adidas spends a ton of money to try to dominate skateboarding more and attempting to reinvent how our cultural events occur to fit their own corporate model..I'm SO shocked they would do that.

You may not have been paid by adidas for this, but I'm guessing there are interests that make you feel like talking nice about them is a good idea. If that's not true, say something bad about adidas, if you need my help figuring out something they have clearly fucked up on, let me know. If you refuse, I'll assume its because you have some incentive to side with corporations instead of skateboarders, which would be really really disappointing.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 10:55:22 AM »
Am I the only person that actually hates going to premieres?

Fuck that, I would rather be comfortable on my couch with a couple homies where I can actually enjoy it.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
I just wonder if video premieres are handled way different then before. Last premiere I went to was Pretty Sweet and they had like 2 lines for people with tickets and without and I know a lot of people couldn't get to go in the theater. I still remember going to premieres way back like 5 years ago and it was simple and sweet. The Kayo vid was just done at a club with a projector and everyone huddling behind it.

I wonder.....why don't major corporations like Adidas just pay to have a theater run their video all day and have shows ever hour or so? They'd  make some coin and everyone hopefully will be able to see the video this way.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
i stopped bringing my board to premiers after the lrg video where it took about an hour to retrieve. the Castro theater adidas premier was not very full, id like to think no one really showed as a act of rebellion ;)
i fell asleep due to getting roofied at the gay bar across the street, but it's ok since pretty sure everyone has watched the pirated copy anyway. woke up in time for sbn and dennis.

the volcom premier last night was rad tho, no problems if you didn't bring your board
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Eric ricks

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 11:19:46 AM »
That does sound pretty lame

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think the problem was length to be honest, most recent Crailtap videos have been as long or longer (Yeah Right, Fully Flared and Pretty Sweet). I'd say the problems was cohesion and trying to fit in too many riders and parts. With a team that large a better strategy might have been the Nike approach, which is break the team into 3 seperate videos of about 45 to 50 minutes in length. Between the Gonz narration, and amount of riders the video felt overloaded. Granted, I disagree on your standing out point, Silas and Busenitz 100% did for me.

yea busenitz for sure did stick out... what with the ABDs and the shittiest trick done at Pulaski wall in recent memory, and that circus trick of an ender. i love busenitz but this part was beat

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
^ Nope. skated there. Not that you would know, but hey, that proves my point is pretty solid if corpo whores have to make up facts about me in order to defend their masters.
Expand Quote
Quit bitchin
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
That's because they know you as an industry guy with some sway. If you worked for or owned a shop, you'd be treated like shit, like my friends were down there.
Let's be real, you know DAMNED WELL they weren't giving out free drinks to everybody, just adidas determined "vips" (even though they gave out more VIP wristbands than they had VIP seats- real classy....

And wow, adidas spends a ton of money to try to dominate skateboarding more and attempting to reinvent how our cultural events occur to fit their own corporate model..I'm SO shocked they would do that.

You may not have been paid by adidas for this, but I'm guessing there are interests that make you feel like talking nice about them is a good idea. If that's not true, say something bad about adidas, if you need my help figuring out something they have clearly fucked up on, let me know. If you refuse, I'll assume its because you have some incentive to side with corporations instead of skateboarders, which would be really really disappointing.

Wow.

Look, was getting into the Away Days premier in LA a shit show? You damn well bet it was! Did they fuck up and not make sure that shops that carry their product got in? Yup again.

But really man, It's fucking LA, these things are always a shit show. Grown ass men should know this and take a little responsibility them self. I got to the premier early, why? Because I wanted to get in and see the video/hang with friends and I've been left out of a few premiers in the past, ticket in hand.

Do I say fuck you Transworld? You're not good for skating and you don't care about it? By your standards TWS is the same as Adidas because not everyone with tickets gets in?

Find some balance.

I need a coffee

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quit bitchin
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wow.

Look, was getting into the Away Days premier in LA a shit show? You damn well bet it was! Did they fuck up and not make sure that shops that carry their product got in? Yup again.

But really man, It's fucking LA, these things are always a shit show. Grown ass men should know this and take a little responsibility them self. I got to the premier early, why? Because I wanted to get in and see the video/hang with friends and I've been left out of a few premiers in the past, ticket in hand.

Do I say fuck you Transworld? You're not good for skating and you don't care about it? By your standards TWS is the same as Adidas because not everyone with tickets gets in?

Find some balance.

thank you. someone gets it
my 2cents..
i went to the adidas premiere in LA and the lines were ridiculous but there was two showings of the vid so people had chances, but knowing the LA skate scene and the surrounding cities I'm sure adidas had no idea it would get out of hand like that. its hard to gauge it but i knew it would be like that so i went in knowing the situation and what i had to do to get in.  the venue was part of the problem there was a vip line and regular line and there was iPad check in areas in the front.  I walked straight to the iPad check in for VIP and got in within 10 mins of parking my car and walking a block to the theatre. if they had clear signs it would be smoother but what do you expect.  The people that didn't get in either weren't paying attention or weren't adamant on getting in. If you really wanted to see it you would've  got in. Ive been to a lot of premieres majority of them is chaotic like this corporate or non corporate.

this is just me but I don't get why you would ride you board to a skate video premiere? I get it being a transportation thing but at the same time if you got a invite to a major movie theater release like a marvel movie or something would you ride your skateboard to it? The venues are treating it the same way so think from their perspective.

I don't know if you been to events outside of skateboarding or events in general but you gotta be aggressive for the free shit unfortunately.  Have you ever been to a club when its free vodka before 11? you get inside and its gone by 10:30 yeah because its free everyone is going in on it. I know its vip and all but that shit don't really apply at certain times.  This being one of them. I had no problem getting drinks and i had several.  I get your argument but at the same time it seemed like you want things served to you on a platter gip. You just gotta go hard and try and take advantage of the corps like they do us.  I had a good time and met some pros and seen a lot of my homies that i don't get to see.  I guess what I'm trying to say is it is what you make it.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:18 PM »
...It's the venue.. I've been to many premieres in SF before and had to check my board, including the Polar one and the GX one in recent weeks. Both were "run by skateboarders". I don't blame them, you get that many drunk skateboarders together they're gonna cause some damage. have some fun. watch some skateboarding. hate the corporation, that's all good and I understand that, but what you're complaining about are typical policies in place at most venues across the country.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:21:55 PM by SIMPLY »

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
this is just me but I don't get why you would ride you board to a skate video premiere? I get it being a transportation thing but at the same time if you got a invite to a major movie theater release like a marvel movie or something would you ride your skateboard to it? The venues are treating it the same way so think from their perspective.

Exactly,
Bringing your board to a premiere is like bringing your board in a nightclub.. definitely not the time and place for that.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly,
Bringing your board to a premiere is like bringing your board in a nightclub.. definitely not the time and place for that.

and then you get the corny kids "playing skate" in the middle of the theater floor tryna make a show or some shit.. nope

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly,
[close]

and then you get the corny kids "playing skate" in the middle of the theater floor tryna make a show or some shit.. nope

lol kids doing yo-flips beaming you by the ticket booth

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
Video premiers in general suck ass.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Video premiers in general suck ass.
They don't have to, the status quo is pretty lame!

Outdoor venue
Nighttime
Big screen projector
Free

It's not some exclusive event it's a skate video, get everyone stoked

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »