Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797541 times)

SHIREFLIP

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1680 on: April 15, 2019, 07:43:42 AM »
Just got these 80hd conical chargers. I will confirm if "EVERYTHING BURNS" and report my findings.

Please do!

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1681 on: April 15, 2019, 03:36:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im sure this has been asked before, if so please direct to correct page number. But can someone crack an egg of knowledge on the difference and purpose of the radial,conical, etc. Been skating some 99a classic Spits. I usually stick to ledges and rails. Was looking to give the Sfw's a try. I like the look of a wider wheel, but wondering other than grip what they excel in. Thanks
[close]

Width of the wheel has nothing to do with grip. A wider wheel will roll over crummy ground better than a narrower one. Wider also wears down slower cuz there's more material to wear down. Wheels shape can help you lock into grinds or get into slappies etc.
[close]

this has never made sense to me. you'd think if you have two wheels of the same formula and duro, the wider wheel would be grippier bc of higher probability of contact? i guess that assumes wherever you're skating is not a perfectly flat surface. or, on the other hand, would a slimmer wheel distribute/concentrate the same weight on a smaller riding surface which could increase grip? or maybe its not even friction but the torque applied to the edges of the wheel which would be determined by the distance from the axle? idk these are random thoughts (and i almost failed general physics II) it's just hard to imagine width has nothing to do with grip.
[close]

Yeah, I know it's kinda counterintuitive for some reason. Took me a while to get too. But the thing is that the weight bearing down to the ground is distributed over a larger area with a wider wheel so per mm^2 in a wider wheel the friction is less but as the wider wheel has more area, the overall grip (friction) will stay the same. If the friction per mm^2 would keep the same, then widening the wheel would make it more grippy but it doesn't due to the force pressing down on the wheel distributing over a larger area.

I think this is a nice explanation:
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

I've also posted this video many times before. It has a decent example of what is going on IMO:

this makes sense on a flat surface, but i don't know how it translates to uneven ground where active area of contact changes constantly? i feel like at that point it becomes a probability thing of how much ground the area of the wheel is actively touching vs. how much pressure is being exerted on that active patch of contact? although that would reach a similar conclusion to what you're saying: wider wheels would slip less often (based on area) but more/longer (based pressure per area) than a slimmer wheel?? "overall grippiness" would be the same if those two factors scale linearly? sorry, im definitely overthinking this :o
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

TooManyPros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1682 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im sure this has been asked before, if so please direct to correct page number. But can someone crack an egg of knowledge on the difference and purpose of the radial,conical, etc. Been skating some 99a classic Spits. I usually stick to ledges and rails. Was looking to give the Sfw's a try. I like the look of a wider wheel, but wondering other than grip what they excel in. Thanks
[close]

Width of the wheel has nothing to do with grip. A wider wheel will roll over crummy ground better than a narrower one. Wider also wears down slower cuz there's more material to wear down. Wheels shape can help you lock into grinds or get into slappies etc.
[close]

this has never made sense to me. you'd think if you have two wheels of the same formula and duro, the wider wheel would be grippier bc of higher probability of contact? i guess that assumes wherever you're skating is not a perfectly flat surface. or, on the other hand, would a slimmer wheel distribute/concentrate the same weight on a smaller riding surface which could increase grip? or maybe its not even friction but the torque applied to the edges of the wheel which would be determined by the distance from the axle? idk these are random thoughts (and i almost failed general physics II) it's just hard to imagine width has nothing to do with grip.
[close]

Yeah, I know it's kinda counterintuitive for some reason. Took me a while to get too. But the thing is that the weight bearing down to the ground is distributed over a larger area with a wider wheel so per mm^2 in a wider wheel the friction is less but as the wider wheel has more area, the overall grip (friction) will stay the same. If the friction per mm^2 would keep the same, then widening the wheel would make it more grippy but it doesn't due to the force pressing down on the wheel distributing over a larger area.

I think this is a nice explanation:
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

I've also posted this video many times before. It has a decent example of what is going on IMO:

[close]

this makes sense on a flat surface, but i don't know how it translates to uneven ground where active area of contact changes constantly? i feel like at that point it becomes a probability thing of how much ground the area of the wheel is actively touching vs. how much pressure is being exerted on that active patch of contact? although that would reach a similar conclusion to what you're saying: wider wheels would slip less often (based on area) but more/longer (based pressure per area) than a slimmer wheel?? "overall grippiness" would be the same if those two factors scale linearly? sorry, im definitely overthinking this :o

I've had this discussion a few times. Based on that logic, a wider wheel would have a greater chance of being grippier, no? ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:15:36 AM by TooManyPros »

Larry Dallas

« Reply #1683 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
I just bought 60mm spit classics.  I saw Koston had a set on some thunders without risers and it sent me on a downward spiral.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1684 on: April 16, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got these 80hd conical chargers. I will confirm if "EVERYTHING BURNS" and report my findings.

[close]

Please do!

They're fun, but they're really just cruiser wheels. I was hoping for something in the middle. Fun for speeding around rough asphalt though. They'd be perfect for a college campus or city commuter set-up if you don't wan't something too longboardy.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1685 on: April 16, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
I just bought 60mm spit classics.  I saw Koston had a set on some thunders without risers and it sent me on a downward spiral.

Damn
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1686 on: April 16, 2019, 08:19:42 PM »

I love these wheels. Been riding them for a few months and while it did take a bit to get used to the jump up in size (from 54/56), they feel comfortable now and slide really well now that they are broken in a bit

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1687 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:26 AM »
60mm on thunders without wheelbite?  ??? ???

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1688 on: April 17, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »

Super tight and with risers maybe? Otherwise:

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #1689 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nah, it's impossible not to get wheelbite on thunders with 60mm wheels, unless you have risers that are 10mm tall or something. even if the trucks are as tight as they get without not being able to turn at all you'll get wheelbite on them from my experience.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1690 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

nah, it's impossible not to get wheelbite on thunders with 60mm wheels, unless you have risers that are 10mm tall or something. even if the trucks are as tight as they get without not being able to turn at all you'll get wheelbite on them from my experience.

Same, riding 51s(?) on thunders with stock bushings and the bite/pinch is lethal.

Larry Dallas

« Reply #1691 on: April 17, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
You get wheelbite on all size wheels. Anyway, spitfires are made in Mexico now?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1692 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:24 AM »
in my experience in the last 3/4 years on thunders youll be alright up to around 52mm but after that yeah youll start getting wheelbite. running risers with 54s atm.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #1693 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »
You get wheelbite on all size wheels. Anyway, spitfires are made in Mexico now?

every pair

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1694 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »

Just got these to see what 92a’s feel like. They don’t powerslide nearly as well as the Spitfire classics (99a) I usually ride, but they handle rough terrain and fucked up gravelly streets slightly better. They don’t handle that terrain nearly as well as the 90a Mini logos I’ve tried (those make everything feel comfortable), but they powerslide a little whereas the ML’s don’t budge an inch.

Ledge trick wise, the 92a’s work fine. They don’t stick like the 90a’s do, and while they do stick slightly more on boardslides and lipslides than the 99a’s, nose/tail slides and crooked grinds are totally fine with these.

Overall, I like them. It would be nice if they made them in a bigger size, like 60mm, as that’s what I’m used to riding at the moment, but I like these fine.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1695 on: April 19, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »
You should try easy streets....

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1696 on: April 20, 2019, 06:03:27 AM »
You should try easy streets....

Just checked out the Easy streets thread and they sound like what I’m looking for. Might try some of the 56 fatties next, thanks!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1697 on: April 20, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »
To me they fee like a soft wheel that's been built up to slide and provide a bit more performance.  I don't think they are for everyone, but if you like those 90 minilogo wheels these might be up your alley. 

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1698 on: April 20, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
To me they fee like a soft wheel that's been built up to slide and provide a bit more performance.  I don't think they are for everyone, but if you like those 90 minilogo wheels these might be up your alley.

Awesome, thats exactly it, I love the mini logo wheels (and the other soft wheels I have ridden) as far as feel on rough terrain goes, I even like that weird bounce they have (though it would be better if they were slightly less bouncy), but I can’t get over how bad they stick on slides and ledge tricks

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1699 on: April 20, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Awesome, thats exactly it, I love the mini logo wheels (and the other soft wheels I have ridden) as far as feel on rough terrain goes, I even like that weird bounce they have (though it would be better if they were slightly less bouncy), but I can’t get over how bad they stick on slides and ledge tricks
I skate 52mm 95a wheels.. lil bit more grip but once i use to them still slide fine

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1700 on: April 20, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I skate 52mm 95a wheels.. lil bit more grip but once i use to them still slide fine

Sweet! What brand are they? Also, how are they on rough streets?

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1701 on: April 23, 2019, 04:44:36 AM »
Anyone skated SML 99d grocery bags? I usually skate Spitfire classic formula, but these are in the local shop in a 56 conical, and my usual wheels are not.

thebacker

« Reply #1702 on: April 23, 2019, 05:33:52 AM »
Anyone skated SML 99d grocery bags? I usually skate Spitfire classic formula, but these are in the local shop in a 56 conical, and my usual wheels are not.
they are very similiar to the classics

you'll enjoy them

GasTheHostage

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1703 on: April 23, 2019, 05:53:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah soft wheels aren't recommended for slides or ledge tricks cuz (obviously) they're grippier. I agree that basically any soft wheel ive had bounces (I honestly hate it cuz i like to throw down my board when hopping on)

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1704 on: April 23, 2019, 06:38:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they are very similiar to the classics

you'll enjoy them

Thanks!

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1705 on: April 23, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
I was lying on my office couch and pondered: what’s the purpose of the conical outside of lock ins? if the blunt edge is for locking in, is the outside cutaway just for looks? reminds me of the debate about whether they were supposed to be graphics in or out, which makes me think those who put em wrong were essentially just riding conicals.

on the other hand, do ppl think the conical “lip/overhang” has an effect on wheel grip or wheelfeel if it’s like, bendy? (like how you can “bend in” the edges of a 78a wheel)

and why are wheels usually symmetrical? I’d assume weight distribution, cus otherwise when do we use the outside of wheels? this is pretty much my stream of consciousness so feel free to address/ignore any or all of it.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1706 on: April 24, 2019, 07:06:10 AM »
I was lying on my office couch and pondered: what’s the purpose of the conical outside of lock ins?

Rolling over coping is easier with a rounded edge.
and why are wheels usually symmetrical?
So you can flip them when they start to cone out and use them longer.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1707 on: April 24, 2019, 07:15:04 AM »
Expand Quote
I was lying on my office couch and pondered: what’s the purpose of the conical outside of lock ins?
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I usually just trash them and move along with a new set
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1708 on: April 24, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I also feel like the conical outside makes some of my flip tricks feel less clunky. I had bones v2s for a while, they were not coned on the outside, and once they wore down a little it made flipping the board feel way jerkier. Not bad, but not great either.

I just got some 101 f4 lockins and it fixed the problem.

(It might all be in my head, though.)

mongopushingmallgraber

• Rep: 31
    • Voicemail avatar image
« Reply #1709 on: April 26, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
I love the F4 Classic shape 55mm 99a Wheels so much that if they stopped making them I would stop skateboarding.