Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797536 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3960 on: July 21, 2021, 06:03:20 AM »
Right between 99/101 sounds ideal. I been on conicals for a while but was considering going for the rounded shape for a change
i can’t say enough good things about them! If you want classic shape, go for the teardrops

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3961 on: July 21, 2021, 06:14:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Right between 99/101 sounds ideal. I been on conicals for a while but was considering going for the rounded shape for a change
[close]
i can’t say enough good things about them! If you want classic shape, go for the teardrops

How do the teardrops slide compared to the v shape? (If you have tried both).

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3962 on: July 21, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

funny thing, my v-cuts slide considerably better than the teardrops which kinda doesn’t make sense, but because they are hand poured you can get variance from wheel to wheel!
A guy at my local bought 54mm v-cuts after trying my 56s and then come up to me and was like, “they’re broken, they don’t slide like yours!” I rode around on his board for a minute to warm them up and while they screeched at little bit at first, I was sill doing some Leo Valls inspired combos within a few minutes on them.

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3963 on: July 21, 2021, 07:24:16 AM »
I’ll pick some up this week and report back. Leaning towards the teardrop shape tbh

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3964 on: July 21, 2021, 07:25:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
funny thing, my v-cuts slide considerably better than the teardrops which kinda doesn’t make sense, but because they are hand poured you can get variance from wheel to wheel!
A guy at my local bought 54mm v-cuts after trying my 56s and then come up to me and was like, “they’re broken, they don’t slide like yours!” I rode around on his board for a minute to warm them up and while they screeched at little bit at first, I was sill doing some Leo Valls inspired combos within a few minutes on them.

Interesting! Yeah, the variance in urethane seems to be a factor. I’ve had two sets of square shapes and three sets of v shapes and noticed that one set of the squares slid exceptionally well whereas none of the v shapes slid well at all, except for the 95a ones. I thought maybe the smaller contact patch and rounded edges of the teardrop shape might make a difference but it sounds like it doesn’t haha

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #3965 on: July 21, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
56 v-cut loopholes are my fav wheels ever!
Can be a bit of inconsistency with the urethane though as they are hand poured. My 56s were always like absolute butter to slide on but I have some 52mm teardrops they didn’t really come into their prime until I wore them down a mm or so...

Went with the 56s Vee! Thanks for the feedback, gonna report back!  ;D

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3966 on: July 22, 2021, 01:03:12 AM »
Expand Quote
56 v-cut loopholes are my fav wheels ever!
Can be a bit of inconsistency with the urethane though as they are hand poured. My 56s were always like absolute butter to slide on but I have some 52mm teardrops they didn’t really come into their prime until I wore them down a mm or so...
[close]

Went with the 56s Vee! Thanks for the feedback, gonna report back!  ;D
you’re in for some fun!!!

sketchyrider

« Reply #3967 on: July 22, 2021, 06:42:59 AM »
A quick ride report, OJ elites are really fast and slide well. Has the feel of modern high tech thane. They don't get a lot of attention on here but I think they are fair competition to SF and bones. Some people have mentioned flat spots but I wonder if that's their "from concentrate" line.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3968 on: July 22, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
Anyone have a favorite wheel for truly icy concrete parks?

Moved to a new town, I thought I liked real hard wheels on smooth concrete, but the park under the bridge is like glass and a little dusty from soot/tire dust.

Seems like the real hard wheels need a little texture on the ground to grip, these 101a oj elites are fast but scary.

I've been riding spitfire 97a classics in 54mm lately and i was amazingly suprised how well they gripped at my park. took em to a almost completely painted spot yesterday and they held up super well too, no downsides of these softer wheels in my opinion.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3969 on: July 22, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
Been back on Bones V5 99a and really like how they work for curbs and ledges....and oddly enough I finally came to realize that they're basically my favorite spitfire (awol) shape:

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3970 on: July 22, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »
A quick ride report, OJ elites are really fast and slide well. Has the feel of modern high tech thane. They don't get a lot of attention on here but I think they are fair competition to SF and bones. Some people have mentioned flat spots but I wonder if that's their "from concentrate" line.

agreed, skated some 101a mini combos last year and they were good wheels for what they were (small, wide, hard) and worked especially well where other wide wheels fail (slides). Interested in trying the 55mm 99a duro in the hardline shape and seeing how it feels compared to sml 99a formula which ive been skating for a minute now

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3971 on: July 22, 2021, 09:28:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agreed, skated some 101a mini combos last year and they were good wheels for what they were (small, wide, hard) and worked especially well where other wide wheels fail (slides). Interested in trying the 55mm 99a duro in the hardline shape and seeing how it feels compared to sml 99a formula which ive been skating for a minute now

The regular pro OJs and fthe 'from concentrate' (pp wheel) line are trash.  Elite on the other hand is right up there with bones and spit in terms of quality but they're much MUCH grippier, even the 101s, and they stay white forever. I've a set of 54mm 101 hardlines I use for park/bowl use only - stupid fast and only slide out when you really want it (because you have to nudge them just a bit more).

Seeing as they are NHS, it's no wonder they get passed over on this forum...If wheels ain't brown, slap ain't down.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 239
« Reply #3972 on: July 23, 2021, 05:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Interesting! Yeah, the variance in urethane seems to be a factor. I’ve had two sets of square shapes and three sets of v shapes and noticed that one set of the squares slid exceptionally well whereas none of the v shapes slid well at all, except for the 95a ones. I thought maybe the smaller contact patch and rounded edges of the teardrop shape might make a difference but it sounds like it doesn’t haha

Same experience here. The slide on my first set of square shapes was insane. Then I had some teardrops but the slide wasn't the same, still good, but not like the square shapes. I've got a new set of squares which break into slides better than the teardrops but not like that first set I had. All of them have been 54mm.

I have some V shapes to try next. I really like what those Loophole dudes are doing, they've got my support.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3973 on: July 23, 2021, 06:33:59 AM »
anyone tried the OJ Nomads 95a?

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3974 on: July 23, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »
Been running the 92a Chrome Clouds for awhile. Tremendously comfy without feeling "soft". Just put the 83b Smallbeating wheels back on and these things are so hard. Haven't done more than pop a few ollies in the garage but they're immediately more jarring. Will take them to my smooth concrete, mellow bank spot tonight and see which win out for my skating. Probably the softies. Both 56mm

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3975 on: July 23, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
Been running the 92a Chrome Clouds for awhile. Tremendously comfy without feeling "soft". Just put the 83b Smallbeating wheels back on and these things are so hard. Haven't done more than pop a few ollies in the garage but they're immediately more jarring. Will take them to my smooth concrete, mellow bank spot tonight and see which win out for my skating. Probably the softies. Both 56mm

I’ve never tried the 92 clouds that I can recall, do they slide at all or are they 100% grippy?

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3976 on: July 23, 2021, 02:48:42 PM »
The reason I switched to hard is I want to get comfortable sliding. So I'm not currently the guy to ask because I'm not competent at it. That said, they do feel as if they're on the slideable end of soft wheels. But I only get little chirps for the most part. They feel like, for a competent street skater, they could be the perfect cruiser wheel set up, as it won't completely kill all your tricks. But I dunno

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3977 on: July 23, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »
The reason I switched to hard is I want to get comfortable sliding. So I'm not currently the guy to ask because I'm not competent at it. That said, they do feel as if they're on the slideable end of soft wheels. But I only get little chirps for the most part. They feel like, for a competent street skater, they could be the perfect cruiser wheel set up, as it won't completely kill all your tricks. But I dunno

I gotcha, thanks for the info!

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #3978 on: July 23, 2021, 07:00:30 PM »
I kinda have a wheel crisis going on right now and I need some pal recommendations. I've skated everything from 101, 99, 97, 95 in spitfire and others and I don't know if it's my hefty weight that allows me to break into powerslides so easily and also slip out when I don't need to but I really need a wheel that will let me still slide well yet not slip out yet also not pitch me either. Shalom

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #3979 on: July 24, 2021, 03:54:27 AM »
I kinda have a wheel crisis going on right now and I need some pal recommendations. I've skated everything from 101, 99, 97, 95 in spitfire and others and I don't know if it's my hefty weight that allows me to break into powerslides so easily and also slip out when I don't need to but I really need a wheel that will let me still slide well yet not slip out yet also not pitch me either. Shalom

if you've tried softish wheels (95, 97) and you are still slipping out I'm guessing it more about you actual board control.

edit: didn't mean to sound like a dick and I'm not assuming you aren't a good skater either. but if you are slipping out and can't always bring it back under control then maybe practice frontside and backside power slides. get used to how it feels to control slide and then maybe when you feel a slip coming you can get it back under control.

What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3980 on: July 24, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »

99a Hardline OJ elites
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:47:21 AM by Xen »

logjammin

« Reply #3981 on: July 24, 2021, 11:18:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you've tried softish wheels (95, 97) and you are still slipping out I'm guessing it more about you actual board control.

edit: didn't mean to sound like a dick and I'm not assuming you aren't a good skater either. but if you are slipping out and can't always bring it back under control then maybe practice frontside and backside power slides. get used to how it feels to control slide and then maybe when you feel a slip coming you can get it back under control.

Hey man, no worries. My board control is all there, I should have clarified I'm more of the hills/tranny/slappy type so when I'm in concrete bowls or skating indoor I just slip out easily at my weight and strength compared to the smaller sized more lean type dudes when I'm powering through tricks and making sharp turns on my Ace's. Not really much to offer where I live when it comes to street skating unless I make the drive to the city which is rare. The easy break into slides does have its advantage when bombing hills around here and we got some steep ones, but I could still probably manage fine if I find that grippier wheel I'm looking for. Cheers man.

99a Hardline OJ elites

I never mess with OJ's is the hardline shape more grippy? I tend to prefer the round shape and it looks like theirs is the "ez edge". You think that shape will be grippy enough? Thanks for the input man.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #3982 on: July 24, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hey man, no worries. My board control is all there, I should have clarified I'm more of the hills/tranny/slappy type so when I'm in concrete bowls or skating indoor I just slip out easily at my weight and strength compared to the smaller sized more lean type dudes when I'm powering through tricks and making sharp turns on my Ace's. Not really much to offer where I live when it comes to street skating unless I make the drive to the city which is rare. The easy break into slides does have its advantage when bombing hills around here and we got some steep ones, but I could still probably manage fine if I find that grippier wheel I'm looking for. Cheers man.

Expand Quote
99a Hardline OJ elites
[close]

I never mess with OJ's is the hardline shape more grippy? I tend to prefer the round shape and it looks like theirs is the "ez edge". You think that shape will be grippy enough? Thanks for the input man.

The hardline shape is slightly wider than the bones V5 and resembles a spitfire conical. The wider riding surface will slow down the slide but having skated some rly wide OJ 101a's I can say that the urethane slides nice. 101a is pretty slippery on glassy skatepark ground so 99a definitely feels softer but I cant say how much. I would cop them in 55mm personally and its a potential next wheel for me. The ez edge is only offered up till 54mm so not for me but they are very very similar to spitfire classics (0.6mm wider riding surface but same width and shape). In 99a that should work for you.

logjammin

« Reply #3983 on: July 24, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
99a Hardline OJ elites
[close]

[close]

The hardline shape is slightly wider than the bones V5 and resembles a spitfire conical. The wider riding surface will slow down the slide but having skated some rly wide OJ 101a's I can say that the urethane slides nice. 101a is pretty slippery on glassy skatepark ground so 99a definitely feels softer but I cant say how much. I would cop them in 55mm personally and its a potential next wheel for me. The ez edge is only offered up till 54mm so not for me but they are very very similar to spitfire classics (0.6mm wider riding surface but same width and shape). In 99a that should work for you.

Damn, looks like they don't offer the ez edge in a 99a unfortunately. I'll try and scoop the hardlines from a local if they got em, otherwise I'll end up ordering them. Thanks for the response man!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3984 on: July 24, 2021, 07:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

99a Hardline OJ elites

Been eyeing these since my local doesn’t have any F4s in my size. How do they compare to F4 99s?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3985 on: July 24, 2021, 07:20:19 PM »
Anybody ridden Acid wheels? The local shop is pretty well stocked on them. Looking for an F4 alternative at the moment

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #3986 on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »
Guys, I’ve heard that a wider wheel patch makes sliding easier, despite what we intuitively think about having more surface=more friction.

From what I understand, it’s the opposite. More surface spreads out the pressure, allowing easier sliding, whereas a smaller contact patch concentrates the pressure on smaller areas.

Is this true or not? In skiing and snowboarding, bigger boards definitely float and go faster than smaller ones.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3987 on: July 24, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Guys, I’ve heard that a wider wheel patch makes sliding easier, despite what we intuitively think about having more surface=more friction.

From what I understand, it’s the opposite. More surface spreads out the pressure, allowing easier sliding, whereas a smaller contact patch concentrates the pressure on smaller areas.

Is this true or not? In skiing and snowboarding, bigger boards definitely float and go faster than smaller ones.

I can't find video but a while back Proff.Schmitt (grain of salt here) mentioned that even for bowls/vert whatever, thin wheels were just as grippy as wider wheels with the benefit of weight savings.

The real benefit is how well a wider wheel handles rough terrain vs a skinnier wheel.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #3988 on: July 24, 2021, 11:21:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't find video but a while back Proff.Schmitt (grain of salt here) mentioned that even for bowls/vert whatever, thin wheels were just as grippy as wider wheels with the benefit of weight savings.

The real benefit is how well a wider wheel handles rough terrain vs a skinnier wheel.

this!

a wider wheel definitely makes the shit skaters want extra riding surface for easier to handle, it makes sense. I do agree tho that say, on glassy skatepark ground or uniform concrete (Westchester for example) a wider wheel would definitely still slide just as good as a thinner wheel.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #3989 on: July 24, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »

also bro try SML AG formula in the wide shape (not V cut) its 99a and slides sick once the treads wear off. such a sick wheel I love ripping around on them even at a super slippery skatepark (hella smooth ground and dust from construction) cuz I can just kinda slip and slide around the place avoiding everyone like Kevin Bradley