Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790574 times)

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3930 on: July 02, 2021, 06:02:19 AM »
I'm thinking of 56-60mm. The faster the better.  Currently I'm riding worn down 53 stf 99a. I liked them and thought about those 58-60 spf 81b. Maybe I should try those bones 56 v6 in 99a.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3931 on: July 02, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »
Regarding Loopholes I had the total opposite experience on the classic shape. I got the Krebs 52's, 2 sets from a legit shop. Both measured different- one was 50.5 and one was 51. They wore pretty well and felt better than my SML's, but I thought they were much harder to break into a slide than F4 99. Overall a good alternate. QC might be a little rough as both sets and my friend's sets had some bubbles in the sidewalls, but this really doesn't matter.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3932 on: July 02, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »
I'm thinking of 56-60mm. The faster the better.  Currently I'm riding worn down 53 stf 99a. I liked them and thought about those 58-60 spf 81b. Maybe I should try those bones 56 v6 in 99a.

If you are already on Bones, then you know what they feel like, so no issues there - go get the bigger Bones wheels.

It is more if people don't know how Bones wheels feel, then they often get a surprise if they are used to other wheels.

Those bigger ones will definitely go fast and last a lot longer too!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

« Reply #3933 on: July 03, 2021, 02:57:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are already on Bones, then you know what they feel like, so no issues there - go get the bigger Bones wheels.

It is more if people don't know how Bones wheels feel, then they often get a surprise if they are used to other wheels.

You make me curious, your post reads like bones feel like "garbage". What's the point, are spitfires, oj ... faster, smoother or more tolerant to death pebbles or...? I've never ridden other wheels than bones(besides soft wheels from various manufacturers).

I'm not planning on riding super smooth parks only. My 53 stf are down to 50-51 and start to get stuck in cracks and being stopped by pebbles, so I thought maybe those 58s spf 81b might be good for hard wheel fun on medium crusty asphalt.
Watched some Ben degros video bones Vs. f4 and he said that his bones 83b felt the fastest. 81b spf should be slightly softer I guess?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3934 on: July 03, 2021, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm not planning on riding super smooth parks only. My 53 stf are down to 50-51 and start to get stuck in cracks and being stopped by pebbles, so I thought maybe those 58s spf 81b might be good for hard wheel fun on medium crusty asphalt.
Watched some Ben degros video bones Vs. f4 and he said that his bones 83b felt the fastest. 81b spf should be slightly softer I guess?

I haven't skated the 81B - but have boards currently built with 84B SPF, 103 STF, 99 STF, 101 F4 and 99 F4.   

As I understand it, the 81B have more grip than the 84B but are still a park wheel and not something that is going to be all that great in the street.

99 STF are meant for the street.  And they are pretty good in the park as well.  They have a bit more grip than the F4 99a if you want that - or get the F4 99a if you want to slide more.   On crappy pavement you should look for the shape that has the widest contact patch. V6 bones would be great, as would Conical Full spits.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3935 on: July 03, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You make me curious, your post reads like bones feel like "garbage". What's the point, are spitfires, oj ... faster, smoother or more tolerant to death pebbles or...? I've never ridden other wheels than bones(besides soft wheels from various manufacturers).

Ha yeah, more so just trying to help with the options you have at hand.

Sometimes I feel like people almost want to be told this brand or this size will work better for them, but I guess at the end of the day, if you know what the product feels like, then you are already half way there, but if you are not at all sure of what something is like (and have no way of trying it out before you buy it) then it makes it a little more difficult.

Bones and Spitfire have always been in 1st and 2nd place on the wheel ladder and even though I prefer Spitfire myself, I would never try to talk someone out of buying Bones, especially if that is more so what they have available.  Some other people I know have always been Bones only and for good reason - the longest lasting, most flatspot resistant wheel on the market for such a long time.  Since Formula Four came through, I think a lot more people have never looked back and are only riding Spitfire, which I can also understand, as I am pretty much in that category, even though I have lots of other wheel brands on other boards too.

I feel like Spitfire F4 99 duro are a lot more forgiving on rougher ground, as I skate road and carpark areas a lot on them, but that is not to say that those Bones 81b wheels will not also skate great on the same areas.

The F4 97 duro is also a good one for rougher ground and lots of people have them as their main board nowdays, but I found them to be just a little soft for what I am used to as my everyday board, otherwise I would have said those ones too.

The different brands have quite different compounds of urethane, so perform differently too, but at the end of the day, I think those Bones 81b wheels in 58 would be great for, as you said - medium crusty asphalt.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

« Reply #3936 on: July 04, 2021, 04:52:24 AM »
All right, I ride my spare wheels and keep my eyes open for either Bones v6 or conical fulls.
Thanks

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #3937 on: July 05, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »
spf have less rebound so don't do well in the streets.  also they don't slide as well.  this is from my experience using spf 81b as a street wheel a few years back pre stf 99, which have the best roll on asphalt of all the hard wheels but can grab a little in slidy situations.

i stay on F4 99 classics these days for the slide and general all around highest marks. 

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3938 on: July 07, 2021, 02:22:01 PM »
i just got some new 54mm spitfire classics in 97a and i think they might be my favorite wheel yet. they grip on park and transition well enough you feel secure while also being fast. i also rode them in the rough parking lot spot i hit and it has been a smoother ride than the 99a ones i had before this. would reccommend these as a good all around wheel so far

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3939 on: July 07, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
So are Loophole wheels actually good?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3940 on: July 07, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »
So are Loophole wheels actually good?
yes!!!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

con_hielo

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3941 on: July 08, 2021, 07:09:37 AM »
Need help guys! I've been trying to decide since last week between 58mm 97A Spitfire Conical Fulls and 56mm NFG/Loophole V shape, but I can't ahah. I'm lightly broke so limited to one set for the summer ahah ( "-_-)/

Riding 58mm 99A Spit CF worn down to 48mm right now and skating mostly old/newish concrete parks and a little bit of street cruising/skating. I'm torn apart because it feels like the 97a would be the best for cruising around on my normal setup and let go of my big cruiser with OJ on and that the Loophole would slide better than my 99a, which I feel are kinda sticky in the parks.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3942 on: July 08, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »
56 v-cut loopholes are my fav wheels ever!
Can be a bit of inconsistency with the urethane though as they are hand poured. My 56s were always like absolute butter to slide on but I have some 52mm teardrops they didn’t really come into their prime until I wore them down a mm or so... 

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #3943 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »
NFG/Loophole/Smoothie urethane is the shit, don't sleep on 'em... there may be some QC issues like bubbles and sizing inconsistencies but those guys are trying their best with what they have their hands on in terms of equipment, they would absolutely love to upgrade their setup and plan on doing so once they an afford it but the stuff one uses to make wheels like whatever those big mixer/pourer things are called and the machined wheel molds are super expensive. The bossman already has to deal with paying rent for a shop space in the Bay alongside paying a living wage to the skaters that come in to help make wheels, in addition to the COVID induced price increases in urethane which seem to keep growing every day. Essentially, if we all buy more NFG urethane, their QC issues that people like to point out will eventually disappear, since they are pretty much fixed by throwing money at them, so to speak. Besides, a little bit of bubbles on the sidewall never hurt anyone. When I ride NFGs with the bubbles facing inwards they don't mess with my grinds at all really, and they look kinda cool after they've been worn down a bit. If you're in doubt about trying them just get a set of 2nds off their website, you will likely notice that they ride just as well as full price wheels.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3944 on: July 15, 2021, 01:20:50 AM »
Anyone know the dimension on Autobahn wheels?

Specifically the 52mm Street Slims / 54mm Duo Durometer ones?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sketchyrider

« Reply #3945 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:59 AM »
Anyone have a favorite wheel for truly icy concrete parks?

Moved to a new town, I thought I liked real hard wheels on smooth concrete, but the park under the bridge is like glass and a little dusty from soot/tire dust.

Seems like the real hard wheels need a little texture on the ground to grip, these 101a oj elites are fast but scary.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3946 on: July 19, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

Moved to a new town, I thought I liked real hard wheels on smooth concrete, but the park under the bridge is like glass and a little dusty from soot/tire dust.

Seems like the real hard wheels need a little texture on the ground to grip, these 101a oj elites are fast but scary.

Had the same experience recently - got a new local park that is slick like ice - Bones SPF 81B is the answer. Insanely fast and grippy.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3947 on: July 19, 2021, 03:26:47 PM »

Speedlab bombshells are my favorite wheel for really slick concrete. They grip like a 97a but have the speed of a 99a+ wheel. If 57mm is too big or you’re not into green wheels, I’m sure any of the other 99a offerings from Speedlab will have similar grip. They also have the 56mm 97a Nomads that I’ve heard nothing but good things about.

I ride Spitfire F4 99 duro. They’re not the best on slick concrete but they are good enough.

If you’re going for absolute confidence that you won’t slip out, go with the Speedlabs. If you don’t mind a little bit of slip here and there, go with the Spitfire F4 99 (because they are the best all-around wheel, most of Slap will back me up on that)

Stay away from Bones on the slippery stuff

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3948 on: July 19, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »

Bones SPF truly have a Magic’s formula for skatepark concrete. Nothing else I have skated compares.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3949 on: July 19, 2021, 07:39:17 PM »

Their Instagram is probably your best resource. Should be easy to get answers.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3950 on: July 20, 2021, 01:53:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Their Instagram is probably your best resource. Should be easy to get answers.

Got myself a set an broke out the calipers.

Measured size x width x contact patch
54 x 29.7 x  17.4

Maybe it started off as
54 x 30 x 18

Really liked them at the park today. Skinny wheels lock in so well.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3951 on: July 20, 2021, 08:14:32 AM »
Rode two sets of those DD ABXs great wheel and soo fricking slim.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3952 on: July 20, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
Rode two sets of those DD ABXs great wheel and soo fricking slim.

I have the 52mm on my wife's board and they lightened up the board so much.

Haven't tested them out of slick surfaces yet, but these are definitely a hidden gem of a wheel in terms of tech performance. Same width as a Bones V3 with a little more riding patch is a definite plus.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #3953 on: July 20, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »
I'm looking for some big soft wheels for cruising and filming. Has anybody tried Slime Balls? Never had a set but I dig the look of them and the tees and gear they make too. Should I just stick with OJ's?

Haven’t tried Slimeballs but Oj super juice mini and Ricta clouds are the best cruiser wheels I’ve skated. No chunking and super smooth

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3954 on: July 20, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm looking for some big soft wheels for cruising and filming. Has anybody tried Slime Balls? Never had a set but I dig the look of them and the tees and gear they make too. Should I just stick with OJ's?
[close]

Haven’t tried Slimeballs but Oj super juice mini and Ricta clouds are the best cruiser wheels I’ve skated. No chunking and super smooth
+1 on Ricta clouds, i had the 92a 57mm and they were awesome
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3955 on: July 20, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
+1 on Ricta clouds, i had the 92a 57mm and they were awesome

Ricta Clouds are the de facto suggestion for cruiser wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3956 on: July 20, 2021, 11:09:37 PM »

My wife has the 60mm 78a Slimeballs, they’re really nice for bombing hills or cruising to the beer store. They handle the shitty roads here in Seattle really well. They are surprisingly not terrible for carving around bowls either.

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3957 on: July 21, 2021, 03:01:07 AM »
Any opinions on loophole wheels?

I’ve got some 101 f4s and they’re a bit slidey at my local. Considering 99 f4s but they are £50! Also not sure if they’ll feel too soft?

Local shop has loopholes in a bit cheaper wondered if they are a viable alternative?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3958 on: July 21, 2021, 03:26:07 AM »
Loopholes are the best, I’m not riding else for e meantime! Feel somewhere between a 99 and 101 F4 imo, the v-cuts ricin of you like conicals

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3959 on: July 21, 2021, 04:06:42 AM »
Right between 99/101 sounds ideal. I been on conicals for a while but was considering going for the rounded shape for a change