Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 141698 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1440 on: August 03, 2023, 02:45:07 PM »
I just have a low tolerance for bullshit and bro science, which this is. There is zero evidence that this could even be possible.

That is not why they sell different wheel shapes at all. Frankly this is getting boring and you're illustrating how little of an understanding you have of how a skateboard actually works.

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #1441 on: August 03, 2023, 03:10:07 PM »
I just have a low tolerance for bullshit and bro science, which this is. There is zero evidence that this could even be possible.

That is not why they sell different wheel shapes at all. Frankly this is getting boring and you're illustrating how little of an understanding you have of how a skateboard actually works.

You need evidence for the subjective opinion that wheel shape affects the handling and feel of a truck?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1442 on: August 03, 2023, 03:36:46 PM »
Nobody is arguing that wheels don't change the feel of the board in terms of tippiness, but they simply can not change the actual turning.
I think where our opinions differ is what contributes to "turning".
Can we agree on this?: If you basically attach a piece of chalk to your board (in the center, touching the ground) and do some turns, those chalk lines would be independent of the wheels. Only without wheelbiting of course.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #1443 on: August 03, 2023, 04:19:10 PM »

please enlighten us on precisely why they sell different wheel shapes then, in full detail!

please also illustrate to us your superior understanding of how a skateboard actually works

like holy fuck dude, get over yourself

get off your fucking high horse man

i’m so sirius rn >:( why are people not aligning their views with mine, i know how this works and they don’t  >:((((( i know so because i have a friend thats an engineer in endurance motorsports 😳☝️☝️ >:(((

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #1444 on: August 03, 2023, 05:02:28 PM »

The manner in which you try to engage in discussion once again is proving to be very belittling and snarky. What a tone you take when you're done.... I presume you are not this much of a wanker in real life?

Calling other people pedantic is hilarious at this point. I have a "low tolerance" for it  ;D

al_cvbrera

« Reply #1445 on: August 03, 2023, 05:05:26 PM »
@lebowskisrug you called someone Mr. Pedantic before once on this site like a sarcastic asshole when you’re actually a pedant yourself. i’m against smart-shaming, don’t get me wrong. people appreciate educated viewpoints. but when people are just giving their own insight as consumers, just take it as that: insight. there is value in other people’s experiences, whether or not you necessarily agree with them. all i’m trying to say is you’ve consistently been a dick on this site and act like your knowledge is indubitably correct, like your opinion is an undeniable fact. and you get sand in your pants when people don’t agree with you. like whats your deal man? have you not gotten laid in a while or what? are things tough at work and you’re just super stressed out? like whats really going on man? are you ok? stop being so snooty and acting like your shit doesn’t stink dude
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 12:00:44 AM by al_cvbrera »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: August 03, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »
Just doing a quick bit of google "bro science" and there is a lot of car talk on how tire width impacts stability, handling and tire wear, or the scrub radius.... completely subjective I concede, but with wider wheels (everything else the same) the way my board turns, feels  different.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1447 on: August 03, 2023, 06:08:33 PM »
Sure. I mean, I think we all get that geometry is geometry and physics are physics, but you’re still adding variables when you change things like wheel shape. You’re changing the effective track width of the board, which affects how much pressure is needed to lean it over and how much lean you get before wheelbite. The extra urethane contact make wide wheels feel very connected to the ground, adding to the stable and precise feel of the turn, while narrow wheels feel more loosely connected to the ground… all the variables working together is “the turning” to me, and it’s much more complex than somehow measuring the radius of the board doing a theoretical perfect U-turn under a precise, consistent load.

Does anyone realistically think of turning with that narrow of a definition? It’s just not indicative of how a skateboard turns or moves in any realistic situation.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1448 on: August 03, 2023, 06:13:37 PM »
I agree.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1449 on: August 03, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »
i love how a boring truck (i’m a fan, but to me they ‘just work’), has a thread that’s got some spice.
i dig lebowski’s strong opinions, it adds to my enjoyment of the site.
but.
my anecdotal experience: a narrower wheel, wheelbites later, allowing more turn. wider wheels, feel more stable, to me, and frustratingly so, when im trying to get the board to flop over and flip.
fortunately, for me, all of this shit is opinions and bro science. skateboarding has always had an almost unhealthy dose of mysticism/gibberish/snake oil tactics, when it comes to the gear. it used to frustrate me a lot, and now i kind of dig it. helps it from turning into ice skating, or pro cycling, or whatever the fuck (this is also how i can like Gino and Wade the best, and not some far more productive/capable youth). so much about skating is opinions and nonsense.
i mean for heavens sake there has been reference to ‘surfy’ etc, which is, to me, thankfully, not some quantifiable metric. i don’t surf.
anyways, carry on, i like reading this stuff.
and when i skate thunders (147s) i prefer smaller spitfire classics.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:13:21 PM by Ok »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1450 on: August 03, 2023, 07:21:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
please enlighten us on precisely why they sell different wheel shapes then, in full detail!

please also illustrate to us your superior understanding of how a skateboard actually works

i’m so sirius rn >:( why are people not aligning their views with mine, i know how this works and they don’t  >:((((( i know so because i have a friend thats an engineer in endurance motorsports 😳☝️☝️ >:(((

The fact that your best insult is "get over yourself" shows that you must be really frustrated at potentially being incorrect about something and it triggers your insecurities. Those insecurities are then used to try and insult me, but frankly dude it's fucking Slap who actually gives a shit?

Larger contact patch smooths out rough terrain and some feel it grips more

Different sidewall shapes lock in differently

Larger and smaller wheels have various effects on pop and speed.

Durometers impact grip and speed

Colors impact people's desired aesthetic

And none of this impacts turning. If it did pro skaters that skated tight transition wouldn't almost universally skate wider, larger wheels.

I think maybe short posts make people think I'm mad or care. I have friends that make claims like this and we banter about it, but it's not serious. It's simply not possible, but if you wanna believe it then go for it. Making up explanations that are borderline ridiculous like wider wheels make you turn at a bigger arc just makes it even more ridiculous and is pretty easy to disprove. I don't take myself or this board seriously or view myself as any sort of authority on any aspect of skateboarding.

To answer your questions that are thinly veiled insults I am doing great on all of your questions and not salty or upset. I just don't agree with what you're saying and pseudo science explanations that can be disproved in a driveway. In general we live in an age where people just make up whatever they want and expect that since it's their opinion no one will question them. I questioned you and you didn't actually provide any sort of explanation that is rooted in the realities of physics or just basic common sense observing skateboards turn.

You can keep getting mad and being insulting but I'm not mad or really feeling anything about posts on a skateboarding message board.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:32:52 PM by LebowskisRug »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1451 on: August 03, 2023, 07:26:10 PM »
Sure. I mean, I think we all get that geometry is geometry and physics are physics, but you’re still adding variables when you change things like wheel shape. You’re changing the effective track width of the board, which affects how much pressure is needed to lean it over and how much lean you get before wheelbite. The extra urethane contact make wide wheels feel very connected to the ground, adding to the stable and precise feel of the turn, while narrow wheels feel more loosely connected to the ground… all the variables working together is “the turning” to me, and it’s much more complex than somehow measuring the radius of the board doing a theoretical perfect U-turn under a precise, consistent load.

Does anyone realistically think of turning with that narrow of a definition? It’s just not indicative of how a skateboard turns or moves in any realistic situation.

Yes myself and others do because what you're describing isn't "surfiness". It doesn't make the board feel looser or tighter and barring wheelbite or breaking into a slide it won't matter. I totally agree that wheelbite and breaking into a slide matter and the outside width is wider, but the center of the wheel is still where it is. If you're talking a conical vs conical full difference in width there won't be anything noticeable for turning, but maybe some for wheelbite and slides. I'll never dispute that or disagree.

What I will disagree with is that it absolutely cannot effect pressure to lean it over. The wheel is not exerting pressure enough to break into a slide and unless the amount of friction change drastically and quickly, the differential in a normal turn wouldn't be noticeable.

And frankly I asked someone much smarter than me that works on things that turn because I thought "maybe I'm wrong, I should get additional opinions" because that's kinda what you do if you're trying to make a case.

At this point I get it y'all hate me and are gunna just sit there and look anything I post so we're not getting anywhere. Wish you the best and I'm not going to derail the thread about tricks further. Maybe take this to the wheels thread where in the past someone like me was able to disprove that wider wheels take more effort to break into slides.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:34:15 PM by LebowskisRug »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1452 on: August 04, 2023, 05:39:09 AM »
I would like for Thunder to pull an Indy and reissue blasters and chargers.

I miss that crazy Gothic bushing seats and earring baseplates with the ill gingerbreading (for lack of a better term)
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1453 on: August 04, 2023, 06:24:19 AM »
I think I made the mistake of saying "more surfy" by adding the classics but that was really not the correct word to use there. I see why you guys are getting upset over this. I really just meant "less stable".

I think the art direction for the thunder catalogs and ads has been really good lately. I think Thunder is really killing it in all aspects the last 5 years or so, the seeing the god tier legion of pros that endorse them. Their branding is acttually kind of shit though, I wish they would do more with the thunderbolt or something. the actual font they use on the trucks is pretty cool but they dont print shirts with it.

like this new logo on that dark green shirt actually isnt too bad, but i am not drawn to it either. I would love a shirt that combines the THUNDER font and thunderbolt logo from the baseplate somehow. something iconic like the Venture AWAKE shirt.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #1454 on: August 04, 2023, 06:30:51 AM »
those shirts aren't bad. It's funny because Thunder is absolutely my favorite truck, but I also feel like it's the least "cool" truck company out of the top brands.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1455 on: August 04, 2023, 07:46:54 AM »
those shirts aren't bad. It's funny because Thunder is absolutely my favorite truck, but I also feel like it's the least "cool" truck company out of the top brands.

The branding is by far the worst. Even the grenade logo which I used to like a little bit looks like a knock off snowboard brand logo

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1456 on: August 04, 2023, 08:24:54 AM »
Explore the distinctions among different skateboard wheel shapes – conical, radial, and classic. Each shape interacts with the road uniquely, impacting how we lean into turns. For instance, a conical shape with a wider outer contact patch offers more stability and predictable turns. On the other hand, classic wheels might feel more nimble but less stable during turns.

A wider wheelbase enhances stability during turns by increasing resistance to sudden direction changes. This is especially noticeable in high-speed carving turns, where a larger moment of inertia leads to smoother, controlled maneuvers. Wheel width greatly influences how easily turns are initiated.

Wheel size matters too. Similar to larger tires affecting F1 car handling, a skateboard wheel's diameter influences turning dynamics. Bigger wheels have broader contact patches, altering pressure distribution and the board's responsiveness to the rider.

The notion that wheel shape affects skateboard turning is grounded in a comparison to motorsports. While skateboarding and F1 racing differ, the principle of optimizing wheel characteristics for specific performance remains consistent.

Our ankles play a crucial role in shaping our skateboarding experience and suspension system. They influence how we navigate the skateboard, impacting turning, stability, and overall maneuverability. The flexibility and adjustments of our ankles during turns affect how we perceive different wheel shapes and sizes.

This personal adaptation, combined with wheel characteristics and other skateboard components, provides a comprehensive understanding of skateboarding dynamics. The collective impact of ankles, wheel shapes, and other factors contributes to the diverse nature of the skateboarding experience.

Maybe LebowskisRug just skates faster and has impressive ankle control. It's all Physics and Science at this point.

Why TF am I even in the thunder thread?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1457 on: August 04, 2023, 08:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The branding is by far the worst. Even the grenade logo which I used to like a little bit looks like a knock off snowboard brand logo

One of my oldest friends got that grenade logo tattoo on his neck... We don't talk much, and he's never even skated a pair of Thunder trucks. He does also have a Spitfire tattoo. A true DLX loyal pawn. Lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1458 on: August 04, 2023, 10:16:21 AM »
I think I made the mistake of saying "more surfy" by adding the classics but that was really not the correct word to use there. I see why you guys are getting upset over this. I really just meant "less stable".

I think the art direction for the thunder catalogs and ads has been really good lately. I think Thunder is really killing it in all aspects the last 5 years or so, the seeing the god tier legion of pros that endorse them. Their branding is acttually kind of shit though, I wish they would do more with the thunderbolt or something. the actual font they use on the trucks is pretty cool but they dont print shirts with it.

like this new logo on that dark green shirt actually isnt too bad, but i am not drawn to it either. I would love a shirt that combines the THUNDER font and thunderbolt logo from the baseplate somehow. something iconic like the Venture AWAKE shirt.

They did a series with Frankie Villani that I actually liked but didn't really plug it. They should do that more like Venture does and slowly fade out the heart grenade

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1459 on: August 04, 2023, 10:18:49 AM »

I dunno if you follow Ted Barrow much but he rips on Thunder a lot for their aesthetic, corny marketing, and massive team. I feel that a truck is as "cool" as who is riding it so if Ishod or Lucas is ripping on them they're cool to me.

I just hope the T2 has better baseplate slide and bushing quality.

skateboardingenthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1460 on: August 04, 2023, 03:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The fact that your best insult is "get over yourself" shows that you must be really frustrated at potentially being incorrect about something and it triggers your insecurities. Those insecurities are then used to try and insult me, but frankly dude it's fucking Slap who actually gives a shit?

Larger contact patch smooths out rough terrain and some feel it grips more

Different sidewall shapes lock in differently

Larger and smaller wheels have various effects on pop and speed.

Durometers impact grip and speed

Colors impact people's desired aesthetic

And none of this impacts turning. If it did pro skaters that skated tight transition wouldn't almost universally skate wider, larger wheels.

I think maybe short posts make people think I'm mad or care. I have friends that make claims like this and we banter about it, but it's not serious. It's simply not possible, but if you wanna believe it then go for it. Making up explanations that are borderline ridiculous like wider wheels make you turn at a bigger arc just makes it even more ridiculous and is pretty easy to disprove. I don't take myself or this board seriously or view myself as any sort of authority on any aspect of skateboarding.

To answer your questions that are thinly veiled insults I am doing great on all of your questions and not salty or upset. I just don't agree with what you're saying and pseudo science explanations that can be disproved in a driveway. In general we live in an age where people just make up whatever they want and expect that since it's their opinion no one will question them. I questioned you and you didn't actually provide any sort of explanation that is rooted in the realities of physics or just basic common sense observing skateboards turn.

You can keep getting mad and being insulting but I'm not mad or really feeling anything about posts on a skateboarding message board.
I’m sorry to keep diverting from the intended purpose of this thread, but I find it funny how you think “get over yourself” was that dude’s best insult. You were asked if you haven’t gotten laid in a while and if you “are that much of a wanker in real life”, and were called a pedant after you called someone else Mr. Pedantic yourself (which you kind of deserved to have turned back onto you because you seem like you are one, in all complete honesty). You can say you aren’t mad or feel some type of way, sure… but you definitely seemed like you did when you said your whole shtick about low tolerance and called other people’s viewpoints bullshit.

You also said “I don't take myself or this board seriously or view myself as any sort of authority on any aspect of skateboarding”, and then you also said “Maybe take this to the wheels thread where in the past someone like me was able to disprove”… uhh… someone like you? What’s that supposed to mean?
Very peculiar choice of words you’ve got there for someone who says they have no authority on any aspect on skateboarding.

To add about the wheels discussion so we can finally continue to discuss Thunder trucks, I think you just misinterpreted it when people simply gave their consumer reports about how thinner and smaller wheels vs. wider and bigger wheels change how the truck turns for them. I think they meant thinner wheels make Thunder trucks (which are known to have a stable feeling turn) feel like they have a more agile turn, compared to how wider wheels on Thunders make the turn feel less agile, which I personally agree with.

I would personally go with thinner wheels on Thunder’s, like a Classic shaped wheel. I’ve tried both Classics and Conicals on Thunder’s, and Conicals on them do make them subjectively feel like they have the effect of narrowing the already rigid feeling turn of Thunder trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1461 on: August 04, 2023, 05:56:10 PM »
Did you really create an account just to keep a stupid argument going and try to insult me? I can't imagine myself ever caring enough about a message board topic to go and do that. What an epic weirdo.

I've skated Thunders on and off since 1999 on basically every normal shaped wheel 54mm and under and still think wheels are a personal preference. I definitely don't like going too wide if it's 53-54 just because o wheelbite on them more. I think the Classic/Thunder pairing has my favorite feeling pinch and lock in of any combo. I've never found any Thunder to turn rigid myself and quite like the turn regardless of wheel. I might be in the minority that doesn't find them twitchy

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1462 on: August 04, 2023, 10:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dunno if you follow Ted Barrow much but he rips on Thunder a lot for their aesthetic, corny marketing, and massive team. I feel that a truck is as "cool" as who is riding it so if Ishod or Lucas is ripping on them they're cool to me.

he’s not wrong, but indy isn’t exactly cool, neither is ace.
venture is cool.

i’ve skated thunders, off and on, since i started skating again, almost 30 years ago. and i keep coming back, for either/both: the performance (pop) of the truck, and then some of the riders (antwuan, wade, ellington, mj, ishod, lucas, you get it).
i like the stock thunder bushings, they work well for me. it seems somewhat common for people to give some personal stars when talking bushings, i’m short, and weigh 170 (so, fat). the bushings break, but it doesn’t seem to mess anything up, for me. i’m not good tho.
i haven’t seen anything about the t2, will certainly want to try

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1463 on: August 05, 2023, 06:29:53 AM »
The T2 has been in testing for like 3 years at this point. Pictures surfaced 1.5 years ago and riders have been spotted with em but there's not many details. The set I have a pic of has a normal kingpin but there's an IKP set. It's hard to tell if the baseplate is longer, but it's more rounded on the wheel side like the old Thunders.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #1464 on: August 05, 2023, 07:18:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

he’s not wrong, but indy isn’t exactly cool, neither is ace.
venture is cool.

Maybe not being "cool" has been kinda good for thunder. Indy was pretty cool from 05-2015 but now it's chat. Venture used to actually be embarassing and now it's top. Thunder just consistently stayed at number 2 for the last 20 years

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1465 on: August 05, 2023, 07:33:02 AM »
I make fun of thunder's marketing too but the trucks are great.....team is great, IMO it's the truck that forced the other trucks to change their designs to be more modern. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1466 on: August 05, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »
@j....soy.....

Could you expand on that? I wasn't paying much attention to gear before 2018 so I'm not familiar with how things changed from like 2008 until then.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1467 on: August 05, 2023, 10:15:04 AM »
The T2 has been in testing for like 3 years at this point. Pictures surfaced 1.5 years ago and riders have been spotted with em but there's not many details. The set I have a pic of has a normal kingpin but there's an IKP set. It's hard to tell if the baseplate is longer, but it's more rounded on the wheel side like the old Thunders.

Did these photos of the T2 make it into this thread? If not do you mind posting the photo you have?

Dou_02

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1468 on: August 05, 2023, 11:04:24 AM »
148 std on real 1/8risers
My luck ran out after 2 weeks and my top bushing started to crack on both sides.
Nothing worked so i put a indy bushing.
This is the 6th  time with thunders I don’t want to worry about it even with aftermkt. Going back to indy hollow 144 stds for a bit.
Bummed cause thunders are my best percorming truck but i need to be fully comfortable when i skate

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #1469 on: August 06, 2023, 09:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lucas been riding indys.
In the 90s thunders looked fucking weird. I was watching the 411 ny metrospective and one of my favorites does a line in thunders. Loose as fuck and with good style and the ugly ass thunders ruined it for me. Might be cause they were small thunders. So the hanger looked small and chubby.

Matt reason made the extra wide ones with 20 riser pads and 60mm look cool

With that being said, thunders are the best trucks. Biggest complaint everybody has is the baseplate. I dont care about it.