Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 150923 times)

jorch250 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1470 on: August 06, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »
@j....soy.....

Could you expand on that? I wasn't paying much attention to gear before 2018 so I'm not familiar with how things changed from like 2008 until then.

I just always think of Ventures always being really low and not turning, Indy's being heavy and early 2000's they had that bad batch where the axels bent.

Thunder's being a lighter truck that was low enough to get technical but the turning radius was stable enough jump down stuff....they still have a bit of of turn that you could skate a bowl.

I have the ole...'well such and such skated them...and he ripped!' but pretty sure Mcrank rode for Royal...skated Thunders. Sick team, sick product....just shit logos.

To me it was a cue for Indy to slim down and eventually for Venture to redesign. 

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 152
« Reply #1471 on: August 06, 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
@j....soy.....

Could you expand on that? I wasn't paying much attention to gear before 2018 so I'm not familiar with how things changed from like 2008 until then.
[close]

I just always think of Ventures always being really low and not turning, Indy's being heavy and early 2000's they had that bad batch where the axels bent.

Thunder's being a lighter truck that

I have the ole...'well such and such skated them...and he ripped!' but pretty sure Mcrank rode for Royal...skated Thunders. Sick team, sick product....just shit logos.

I always liked the grenade logo. Im in the minority then  ;D

I also like the lighting bolt with no box.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1472 on: August 06, 2023, 10:39:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
those shirts aren't bad. It's funny because Thunder is absolutely my favorite truck, but I also feel like it's the least "cool" truck company out of the top brands.
[close]

I dunno if you follow Ted Barrow much but he rips on Thunder a lot for their aesthetic, corny marketing, and massive team. I feel that a truck is as "cool" as who is riding it so if Ishod or Lucas is ripping on them they're cool to me.

I just hope the T2 has better baseplate slide and bushing quality.
[close]

Lucas been riding indys.
In the 90s thunders looked fucking weird. I was watching the 411 ny metrospective and one of my favorites does a line in thunders. Loose as fuck and with good style and the ugly ass thunders ruined it for me. Might be cause they were small thunders. So the hanger looked small and chubby.

Matt reason made the extra wide ones with 20 riser pads and 60mm look cool

With that being said, thunders are the best trucks. Biggest complaint everybody has is the baseplate. I dont care about it.

All I gotta say about Thunder and the old days is: Kenny Reed, Huf, and Marc.

A lot of the old Krux team used to put oval stickers on their Thunders and I know Jerry rode them instead of Royals for the most part. I always thought they looked better than Stage 6-8 Indy's.

Weirdly I remember the old more rounded baseplates sticking out more but maybe that wasn't real.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 152
« Reply #1473 on: August 08, 2023, 08:54:55 AM »

This ad was cool, thunder wides do look good. I have a John Cardiel black label Reissue with the 8.75 thunders and looks pretty cool.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1474 on: August 08, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
There’s a ton of people who quietly ride thunders and they are all really good…..

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #1475 on: August 09, 2023, 06:54:00 AM »
I used to skate Thunders exclusively in the 2000's but I broke several hangers in a row (and I was 5'6" and 150lbs at the time) and I swore off them and switched to Indy which I've rode ever since

I'm tempted to try my hand at some Thunders again though and see how they feel

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1476 on: August 09, 2023, 07:31:42 AM »
the best part of thunders for me is i can ride a non hollow truck that doesnt weigh 500 lbs
i wonder what it will feel like to drop ~80g off my Egg setup by changing the Aces to Thunders

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1477 on: August 09, 2023, 09:30:33 AM »
There’s a ton of people who quietly ride thunders and they are all really good…..

They're gaining more traction again after the Ace/Venture trends at least locally in SD. I've seen a few shop riders/employees on them and talked to one yesterday that was Indy flow and skates mostly big ass transition, parks, gnarly street stuff, and he raves about his Thunder Forged Lights. Another transition/big terrain dude at the park yesterday was on Indy Flow and got so sick of mids that he copped a pair of Team Hollows from the shop bargain bin and was raving about how great they are.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 474
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1478 on: August 09, 2023, 11:35:37 AM »
Speaking of Thunder Lights, I had a bent axle and DLX customer service is still top tier:

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1479 on: August 09, 2023, 02:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're gaining more traction again after the Ace/Venture trends at least locally in SD. I've seen a few shop riders/employees on them and talked to one yesterday that was Indy flow and skates mostly big ass transition, parks, gnarly street stuff, and he raves about his Thunder Forged Lights. Another transition/big terrain dude at the park yesterday was on Indy Flow and got so sick of mids that he copped a pair of Team Hollows from the shop bargain bin and was raving about how great they are.

I think my assessment checks out and applies to all things SD....really good skaters.....I"m going to guess that at least 70% of skaters who ride thunders can nollie flip.....ACE: 50.....It's a DLX brand, but I don't really see them claiming SF as hard as the board brands and spitfire....Now I'm dating myself...but if there was a current day Tracker...it's Thunder...

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1480 on: August 09, 2023, 05:46:32 PM »
Speaking of Thunder Lights, I had a bent axle and DLX customer service is still top tier:

Did you just message them through the DLXSF product warranty page? Currently have a bent axle on my trucks that are only a few months old.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1481 on: August 09, 2023, 10:45:47 PM »
More reasons to pull the pin and get on thunders! 

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1482 on: August 10, 2023, 05:04:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you just message them through the DLXSF product warranty page? Currently have a bent axle on my trucks that are only a few months old.

Yes, I used the warranty page at DLXSF.com. They emailed me with a few questions and I sent a few photos. A week later this box of goodies was on my porch.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1483 on: August 10, 2023, 07:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think my assessment checks out and applies to all things SD....really good skaters.....I"m going to guess that at least 70% of skaters who ride thunders can nollie flip.....ACE: 50.....It's a DLX brand, but I don't really see them claiming SF as hard as the board brands and spitfire....Now I'm dating myself...but if there was a current day Tracker...it's Thunder...

my first trucks were TRACKER HAWK's in a bargain bin! Its funny how I have come full circle. They actually do feel a lot like those trucks. I rememeber thinking how great those trucks were at the time but everyone was into Grind King and Destructo in my area and told me they sucked! hahaha

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1484 on: August 10, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
For those of you who have tried both 147s and 148s, is there much difference in feel between them? The height difference comes from the hanger so I was always curious if there was a noticeable change in geometry.

I've tried 147s on a couple of occasions but never kept them on my board long enough to really get used to them. I can go between Indy and Venture without much issue but going to those 147s felt strange. I felt like I couldn't get my board to follow me up so I'd get super sketched out trying to get onto or over things.

I do get tempted by the 148s as you would get more KP clearance and less wheelbite (I assume). I don't ride loose trucks by any means but I also found the 147s to be tight with the stock bushings.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 893
« Reply #1485 on: August 10, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

my first trucks were TRACKER HAWK's in a bargain bin! Its funny how I have come full circle. They actually do feel a lot like those trucks. I rememeber thinking how great those trucks were at the time but everyone was into Grind King and Destructo in my area and told me they sucked! hahaha

Tracker were garbage. Thunder are not.

I'd love to hear some science behind the percentage of who can do what because of the trucks they ride. This is next level Slap Speculation. Slapulation!

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #1486 on: August 10, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd love to hear some science behind the percentage of who can do what because of the trucks they ride. This is next level Slap Speculation. Slapulation!

Trackers were meant for vert/bowl skating. Not the best turn as they didn’t need it as much (albeit better than predecessors minus Bennet; but their trucks fell apart), fast-forward to more regular and nuanced street skating, here comes things that could flick and turn better, although still big, weigh way less than some 9in trackers. Then it went to tight low trucks and small wheels. An era of trying to make the board flip as much as it could = less sensible gear imo. Fast forward to now…

To chime in on the speculation of who attributes which trick ease to what trucks: that shit’s all marketing and ego built into your choice to buy based on the identity the brand markets, and trick selection and style are prob the two biggest buttons pushed when you watch an ad of the right guy skating the right trucks doing the right trick. If you’re letting your trucks dictate how you wanna skate you’re already not having as much fun as you could be. No way anyone telling me Tyshawn is more tech than Tiago (BUT HE RIDES THUNDURZ  :o )

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 893
« Reply #1487 on: August 10, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Gotta turn to ride a bowl.  And I'd ride Thunders in a bowl long before Trackers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:02:09 PM by Frank and Fred »

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1488 on: August 10, 2023, 12:10:34 PM »
For those of you who have tried both 147s and 148s, is there much difference in feel between them? The height difference comes from the hanger so I was always curious if there was a noticeable change in geometry.

I've tried 147s on a couple of occasions but never kept them on my board long enough to really get used to them. I can go between Indy and Venture without much issue but going to those 147s felt strange. I felt like I couldn't get my board to follow me up so I'd get super sketched out trying to get onto or over things.

I do get tempted by the 148s as you would get more KP clearance and less wheelbite (I assume). I don't ride loose trucks by any means but I also found the 147s to be tight with the stock bushings.

I asked this question a while back and the answer I got was that they were the same in terms of feel. In my experience though just from standing on boards in the shop that my customers had built the 147 feels much tighter at “stock setting “ (nut flush on the kingpin) than the 148 which has a looser feel at stock in my opinion. Now my 148 will stiffen up quite a bit during the break-in process but becomes a bit more malleable after some patience which led to a quick, dependable turn that I prefer over most other trucks.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1489 on: August 10, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »

148s turn better/deeper, less wheel bite, looser, better kingpin clearance. Just an all around better truck IMO unless you like lighter and tighter trucks. Then they can't be beat.
How much for an order of ribs?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: August 10, 2023, 04:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Trackers were meant for vert/bowl skating. Not the best turn as they didn’t need it as much (albeit better than predecessors minus Bennet; but their trucks fell apart), fast-forward to more regular and nuanced street skating, here comes things that could flick and turn better, although still big, weigh way less than some 9in trackers. Then it went to tight low trucks and small wheels. An era of trying to make the board flip as much as it could = less sensible gear imo. Fast forward to now…

To chime in on the speculation of who attributes which trick ease to what trucks: that shit’s all marketing and ego built into your choice to buy based on the identity the brand markets, and trick selection and style are prob the two biggest buttons pushed when you watch an ad of the right guy skating the right trucks doing the right trick. If you’re letting your trucks dictate how you wanna skate you’re already not having as much fun as you could be. No way anyone telling me Tyshawn is more tech than Tiago (BUT HE RIDES THUNDURZ  :o )

I'm talking comparatively in the 80's and where they sat in the market.....a good ole six track wasn't a bad truck for what people were skating at the time, and what else was out there from what I recall....

Anyhoo......carry on. 

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #1491 on: August 10, 2023, 09:39:40 PM »
Bummer, my set of Thunder 161 Standards have axle slip.

I've owned them for about a year but have been skating them for maybe two/three months total, and one truck is more grooved than the rest. Haven't hit axle on any hanger. Should I bother contacting DLX support or just take the L? Their warranty is super vague, and I've had success and failure previously getting issues resolved with them.

Marv100

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1492 on: August 11, 2023, 01:16:44 AM »
Hey all, got a quick question. I just bought some second hand 147 lights and was wondering why they don‘t have the „Thunder Lights“ print (not the sticker) on them as seen literally everywhere. Is this maybe an older version or should I worry about them being fake? Doesn‘t look like that but was just curious.. Thanks!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1493 on: August 11, 2023, 04:17:55 AM »
Bummer, my set of Thunder 161 Standards have axle slip.

I've owned them for about a year but have been skating them for maybe two/three months total, and one truck is more grooved than the rest. Haven't hit axle on any hanger. Should I bother contacting DLX support or just take the L? Their warranty is super vague, and I've had success and failure previously getting issues resolved with them.

Never hurts to ask, cause all they can do is say no, unless you think you might get a bad rep for too many warranties, but if it is a legitimate issue, at least to put it to them to see.

Hey all, got a quick question. I just bought some second hand 147 lights and was wondering why they don‘t have the „Thunder Lights“ print (not the sticker) on them as seen literally everywhere. Is this maybe an older version or should I worry about them being fake? Doesn‘t look like that but was just curious.. Thanks!

I am thinking they might be older stock, given anything second hand could be well before what is the current standard of labels or logos.

Pics always help here too, as some people who are more familiar with counterfeit product could have a look and tell you one way or the other, if you do think there might be questions about them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1494 on: August 11, 2023, 11:16:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies re: 147s vs. 148s

I think the differences might be enough to give Thunder another shot. I'll hold off for a while and see if those T2 versions end up making an appearance at some point.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1495 on: August 11, 2023, 12:41:35 PM »

Lights should have a forged baseplate and a hollow kingpin. As far as I remember they not always had the 'Thunder lights' print on them.  Check out their archive of old ads: https://www.thundertrucks.com/ads/

Like this from 2017. Forged baseplate, hollow kingping, no logo print:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:48:33 PM by tuesday »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1496 on: August 12, 2023, 03:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

LOL how to dump stock that isn’t selling, dump them mids on flow riders 🤪

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1497 on: August 13, 2023, 08:30:42 AM »
Ya the dude was like "I super glued the kingpin and this shit still comes loose every 5 minutes"

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1498 on: August 13, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
Ya the dude was like "I super glued the kingpin and this shit still comes loose every 5 minutes"

While it should need to happen, slapping in some locktite is the way to go for all IKPs, just in case (I've never had an issue, but I fux with my trux a lot); from the start I put blue locktite on my slappy trucks; just yesterday I went to snake the flat washers from them and goddamn, that shit was tight AF, almost gave up on one truck.

Having used Superglue, JB weld, epoxy and locktite - superglue just does not work for long on metal that isn't porous.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 12:31:08 PM by Xen »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1499 on: August 14, 2023, 10:47:12 AM »
personally I find any truck in a 8" width always feels super Tic-Tacky, so going 148 gives you at least some sense of turning imo, while not being so fat that you eat the entire curb when you go for a slap. also not so massive your flip trikcs dont feel like a boat. imo 148 thunder team is the perfect truck for my body! i am 5'11" with short legs, 167 lbs