Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 145463 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1530 on: September 06, 2023, 10:10:32 PM »
Anyone have any news about the T2? I'll probably be asking monthly for the next several years.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1531 on: September 06, 2023, 10:34:21 PM »
Anyone have any news about the T2? I'll probably be asking monthly for the next several years.

also interested

SupremePizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #1532 on: September 07, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »
Has anyone gone from venture to thunder and prefer thunder? I ride venture 5.6 with the loose truck kit and 56mm classics. I love everything about this combo and want to pick up some 8.5 trucks next. Venture seems like a safe bet but thunder has some pretty nice colorways. I mostly just skate flat ground, ledges and small transition

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1533 on: September 07, 2023, 12:33:42 PM »
Has anyone gone from venture to thunder and prefer thunder? I ride venture 5.6 with the loose truck kit and 56mm classics. I love everything about this combo and want to pick up some 8.5 trucks next. Venture seems like a safe bet but thunder has some pretty nice colorways. I mostly just skate flat ground, ledges and small transition
Don’t switch if you feel comfortable and nothing is going wrong. I switched bc I wanted a lower truck and my switch heels weren’t working. Plus I can get much more tech on Thunders.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1534 on: September 07, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »

I was on Thunders with 1/8" wooden risers for a while before going back to Indys. I'd recommend getting some risers too if you plan on using 56mm wheels. I was on 54mm and wheelbite was pretty wild before getting the wooden risers.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1535 on: September 07, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »

Yes. I am on V-lights right now and they're great, but I think my overall pop and manual tricks are better on Thunder. The Venture grind is pretty bad at the few curb spots I have skated recently. Thunders can get quite turny compared to Venture so you shouldn't need to do much there but can remove the bottom washer to get em even crazier. They are 1mm lower so you might want to consider risers if your wheelbite is too bad.

PolarJames

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1536 on: September 07, 2023, 05:14:08 PM »

I had Venture and am getting some Thunders tomorrow so will be able to tell you. I know from having Thunders before that I preferred the turn though. However, I didn't try the Venture soft bushing kit which I should have done or Bones bushings. If you already like the Ventures I wouldn't switch but it's your call. They're both good trucks. Venture doesn't grind quite as nicely I think due to a harder metal but the difference isn't huge.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1537 on: September 07, 2023, 06:27:36 PM »

i go back and forth between these two brands a lot. from strictly an ease of skating perspective, thunders work for me a little better.
but i prefer ventures (lo’s tho, so this isn’t really an apples to apples comparison).

thunders are not rad, for me, on bigger wheels. i’ve skated 56 classics on 148 lights, and 149s, and gotten away with it, but not the best.
if i had to ride big wheels, i would go with venture hi’s over thunders.

if i wanted to stop being a goofball that spends too much time on here whinging about gear crisis type shit, i could probably just skate my 148 lights and call it a day.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1538 on: September 07, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »
My popping knee is not doing well ans I’ve considered buying thunders….

I think thunder is a great truck, lighter…..the light pop is helpful on some stuff….the grind is better than venture. 

It was the wheelbite and I ground through them quick……

Ben d will swear by them next week…..

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1539 on: September 08, 2023, 01:10:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i go back and forth between these two brands a lot. from strictly an ease of skating perspective, thunders work for me a little better.
but i prefer ventures (lo’s tho, so this isn’t really an apples to apples comparison).

thunders are not rad, for me, on bigger wheels. i’ve skated 56 classics on 148 lights, and 149s, and gotten away with it, but not the best.

if i wanted to stop being a goofball that spends too much time on here whinging about gear crisis type shit, i could probably just skate my 148 lights and call it a day.

I can go back and forth pretty easily between Thunders and Ventures with barely any adjustment period. I like my Ventures better, but tbh that's probably knowing I'm on Ventures just as much as the actual properties of the truck.

I second the notion that bigger wheels and Thunders don't mesh too well, even with risers. I haven't figured out why that is yet, but it just doesn't work as well for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1540 on: September 08, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »
I have chatted with Ben quite a bit on IG and he openly admits that he loves Thunders, especially the forged 148s. He is just on a Venture kick and riding what he enjoys.

Schinken

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1541 on: September 09, 2023, 01:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can go back and forth pretty easily between Thunders and Ventures with barely any adjustment period. I like my Ventures better, but tbh that's probably knowing I'm on Ventures just as much as the actual properties of the truck.

I second the notion that bigger wheels and Thunders don't mesh too well, even with risers. I haven't figured out why that is yet, but it just doesn't work as well for me.

After changing the bushings in my thunders to stock 90a indy bushings I can run 56mm without any problems. I think most of the thunder wheelbite issues is due to the design of their stock bushings.  The stock thunder bushings are kind of conical which wheelbite very fast. With barrel style bushings the depth of turn is more restricted.

PolarJames

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1542 on: September 14, 2023, 10:38:24 AM »
Skated my new Thunder 149s last Friday night. Really stoked with them. I skated them with the bushings stock tightness and they tightened during the session to a point where they're perfect. Didn't have to adjust them at all. Loving the Thunder stability and turn. Really nice on transition. Don't think I'll be changing truck brands now. Not sure why I went away from Thunders before.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1543 on: September 16, 2023, 04:21:52 AM »
How bad is the kingpin clearance on 147’s as i’ve heard that their hangers are 2mm lower than 148 and up? Or is the height difference from the baseplate too?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1544 on: September 16, 2023, 05:55:49 AM »
How bad is the kingpin clearance on 147’s as i’ve heard that their hangers are 2mm lower than 148 and up? Or is the height difference from the baseplate too?

it is a noticeable challenge. the baseplates are the same, the height reduction comes from the hanger.
147s are very similar to venture lo’s. i like them a lot, i’m not good at grinds, and i love the pop, so take it with a grain of salt i guess

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1545 on: September 16, 2023, 07:19:47 AM »
Skated my new Thunder 149s last Friday night. Really stoked with them. I skated them with the bushings stock tightness and they tightened during the session to a point where they're perfect. Didn't have to adjust them at all. Loving the Thunder stability and turn. Really nice on transition. Don't think I'll be changing truck brands now. Not sure why I went away from Thunders before.

I found the same ref the bushings tightening up to make them perfect.

Just moved got some 151s Hollow Lights and they’re my first ever pair of thunders.

So far I’m loving them, tried going back to Indy’s with Bomes bushings and it felt wrong.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1546 on: September 16, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »
Thunders are a great home base. I often come back to them from other migrations and never really regret doing so.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1547 on: September 16, 2023, 08:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it is a noticeable challenge. the baseplates are the same, the height reduction comes from the hanger.
147s are very similar to venture lo’s. i like them a lot, i’m not good at grinds, and i love the pop, so take it with a grain of salt i guess

Yep, 147s probably have less than a millimeter more clearance over Venture lows

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1548 on: September 16, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »
147s are like if a venture low turned better and you could actually run a wheel above 51mm while having it relatively loose. I setup some 147s on an 8.0 a few weeks ago coming from 148s on an 8.2 and I’m having a good time on em

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1549 on: September 16, 2023, 09:22:17 PM »
147s are like if a venture low turned better and you could actually run a wheel above 51mm while having it relatively loose. I setup some 147s on an 8.0 a few weeks ago coming from 148s on an 8.2 and I’m having a good time on em

eh….i can maybe run 52s on 147s.
now 148s, i do not understand those shits, they can handle a 56 imo.
i prefer 147s. i’m pretty sure. i like the lower height, the pop. but 148s are more versatile.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1550 on: September 17, 2023, 11:52:21 AM »
a thunder team is already so light i cant really comprehend why anyone would go lighter
it feels like a damn tech deck  ;D

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #1551 on: September 17, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »
Really hyped on the Museum collab pack

might have to grab a set to put back for later.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1552 on: September 17, 2023, 06:32:16 PM »
Are those bushings clear or silver?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #1553 on: September 17, 2023, 07:43:17 PM »
Are those bushings clear or silver?
DLX says
Clear 90duro

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1554 on: September 18, 2023, 03:30:29 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1555 on: September 18, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
those clear bushings look amazing

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1556 on: September 24, 2023, 05:13:44 PM »
Just setup some lightly used 147 lights with fresh white 90a bushings to replace some 5.2 lows.  Feels right to be back on them and I’m wondering why I keep leaving in the first place.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: September 24, 2023, 11:36:58 PM »
Just setup some lightly used 147 lights with fresh white 90a bushings to replace some 5.2 lows.  Feels right to be back on them and I’m wondering why I keep leaving in the first place.

i go back and forth between 147s and 5.2 lo’s, frequently.
what do you like about 147s more?
i like 5.2 lo’s more, i think. i’ve never done a good comparison, on the same deck.
why do you like more?

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1558 on: September 25, 2023, 06:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i like 5.2 lo’s more, i think. i’ve never done a good comparison, on the same deck.
why do you like more?

I’ve been skating them on the same 8” deck and the thunders to me just feel more stable while turning better at the same time.  I feel much more confident bombing a hill on 147’s than the 5.2 lows, not sure why.

Pop and trick wise they are very similar but I think overall I’m just more used to Thunder timing.  The extra 1-2mm of height helps too.  I’m picky about truck height and these seem to be my sweet spot.

Also with the new thunder team baseplate design, I can run a ikp pretty easily so I look forward to doing that to have a low truck with good kp clearance.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1559 on: September 25, 2023, 07:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

why do you like more?
[close]

I’ve been skating them on the same 8” deck and the thunders to me just feel more stable while turning better at the same time.  I feel much more confident bombing a hill on 147’s than the 5.2 lows, not sure why.

Pop and trick wise they are very similar but I think overall I’m just more used to Thunder timing.  The extra 1-2mm of height helps too.  I’m picky about truck height and these seem to be my sweet spot.

Also with the new thunder team baseplate design, I can run a ikp pretty easily so I look forward to doing that to have a low truck with good kp clearance.

thanks

do you use the same size wheels on both? my biggest drawback with both of these trucks: i’ve never  ‘successfully’ (very relative), ridden larger than 52s.

the kingpin clearance is bad, on both.

pop wise, my kickflips are better with 147s, ollie’s and everything else better with the ventures.

i like 151s, 149s. i don’t like to skate larger boards as much anymore, as the particulars get too precious for me. i have some 148 lights, and those ….trip me out. i’ve been giving them the side eye, like an ex drunk gazing at an unopened bottle on a tall shelf, that is there for ‘decorative’ reasons: the 148s are too big for the 8s and below i like to ride, but those damn things just seem to ‘work’, on whatever. i’ve set them up on wildly different boards, with very different wheels, and no problems.
but i persist in just liking 147s and lo’s.
well now i feel better, thanks