Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 151413 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1590 on: October 03, 2023, 10:52:39 PM »
The main similarity of thunder and ace is neither are Indy’s…….

I just envision how the wheel, truck and tail respond to popping while your foot is in the pocket…..

It would be sick to really slow mo how the truck, wheel, tail respond while popping because I think it makes a difference with the geometry of each truck.  I noticed this on Aces for sure….the truck almost turns when you pop…

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1591 on: October 04, 2023, 12:06:52 AM »
Thanks ya all so far. Of course I have more questions..

I think I am set on 8.25 Magenta decks (~6.65" Tail with a 14.25" wheelbase) and 52mm Spitfire Conicals.

148 Thunder Lights are 51mm in height, right?
52mm wheels should be fine?
The tail shouldn't be "too short" for these trucks?
What was the wheelbase lengthening of Thunders again? + 3.25"?
IG: @flowterspace

diplodocus

• Rep: 170
  • long neck
« Reply #1592 on: October 04, 2023, 01:06:10 AM »
Thanks ya all so far. Of course I have more questions..

I think I am set on 8.25 Magenta decks (~6.65" Tail with a 14.25" wheelbase) and 52mm Spitfire Conicals.

148 Thunder Lights are 51mm in height, right?
52mm wheels should be fine?
The tail shouldn't be "too short" for these trucks?
What was the wheelbase lengthening of Thunders again? + 3.25"?

Lights used the forged plates so yeah 51mm

52mm should be fine. Actually one of the wheel sizes I would recommend with the 51mm height.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1593 on: October 04, 2023, 01:28:43 AM »
52mm on Thunder lights are fine. As always: how much wheel bite you get depends on how loose you like your trucks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #1594 on: October 04, 2023, 01:34:55 AM »
Surely depends on your weight, I can easily ride 54mm wheels on thunder lights that are wiggly loose. I only weigh 58 kg /127 lbs.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1595 on: October 04, 2023, 01:50:45 AM »
Thanks again. More questions came up.

Lights? Hollow Lights? Titanium? Which one and why?

My Indy Titanium also broke at the axle recently. I was so angry that I threw them in the rubbish can and walked home like Daffy Duck.

I would prefer the 51mm height of Thunders because I know how Indy Forged with 53.5mm feel. These are fine so far but my best skating happened on Thunder 147s, but that was a lifetime ago.
IG: @flowterspace

Meathook

• Rep: 83
« Reply #1596 on: October 04, 2023, 05:29:05 AM »

My Indy Titanium also broke at the axle recently. I was so angry that I threw them in the rubbish can and walked home like Daffy Duck.

I would prefer the 51mm height of Thunders because I know how Indy Forged with 53.5mm feel. These are fine so far but my best skating happened on Thunder 147s, but that was a lifetime ago.

Exactly why I’m riding 147s now lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1597 on: October 04, 2023, 06:53:47 AM »

Teams or Team Hollow. The extra height still makes it a mid, they're already light too, can run a tiny bit bigger wheels if you want. I've gone 54 no problem.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1598 on: October 04, 2023, 07:01:57 AM »
Yep Thunders already weigh significantly less than Indys and Aces, I find the Team version to be the perfect weight for me. Going to anything hollow / light just feels like a tech deck to me.

I skate a 9"+ Egg with AF1 + 54mm conical fulls and I can ollie the same amount of decks that I can with a 8" board with titaniums and 48mm classics, its moreso i get tired faster doing it on the 50 lb setup.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1599 on: October 04, 2023, 09:06:50 AM »

With thunders, I only go Ti when riding bigger boards/wheels (say 8.5 / 54mm wheels and up).

The Hollow lites (axle and pin) are so light as it is. Team Hollows if you want that extra mm and weight. There's also the lites, solid axle forged plate with hollow pin  (sort of of middle ground of the hollow lights and team hollow).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1600 on: October 04, 2023, 09:13:23 AM »
Team plates are a good height but I even understand why some run forged and risers……Ben d subscribes to forged bottoms solid tops….i think all the above have an argument….

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1601 on: October 04, 2023, 09:19:39 AM »

I've got a set-up with 149 Titaniums on an 8.3 deck and one 8.5 with 151 hollow lights. I love them both. It really comes down to psychology. Currently you pay around two dollars for every gram that the Titaniums weigh less than the hollow lights. For me it was worth it when I got the 149s. I just wanted to have the lightest. At least I can't blame it on the trucks if my pop is not high enough.       

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #1602 on: October 04, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
Got two quick questions - thinking of copping the hollow light II his.

My preferred board size is anything between 8 - 8.25 / 31.5 - 32.25 / 14 - 14.25 . With mellower kicks and concave.

I skate wheels in the 51-53mm range. I like to skate flat, small ledges, curbs, flatbars.

Do the trucks I'm interested in make sense for my setup? Pretty sure they do but would appreciate another opinion. And are there any bushings anyone could suggest other than the stock bushings?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1603 on: October 04, 2023, 09:58:34 AM »
They would work fine. It's splitting hairs. Forged pop will be a bit faster and lighter, but Thunder are already snappy as it is. Your wheel range works fine on both. I always recommend people go with standards first on a truck then experiment with lighter at least with Thunder and Venture. Indy I almost recommend the opposite. AF1, Indy Forged, Thunder Standard/Team, and Venture cast are all in the 52-53ish height range and unlikely to be too polarizing.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #1604 on: October 04, 2023, 10:36:20 AM »
They would work fine. It's splitting hairs. Forged pop will be a bit faster and lighter, but Thunder are already snappy as it is. Your wheel range works fine on both. I always recommend people go with standards first on a truck then experiment with lighter at least with Thunder and Venture. Indy I almost recommend the opposite. AF1, Indy Forged, Thunder Standard/Team, and Venture cast are all in the 52-53ish height range and unlikely to be too polarizing.

Thanks LR, gnarred

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1605 on: October 04, 2023, 02:46:16 PM »
Can confirm that the stock bushings are shit in terms of durability. I've had these trucks since mid February and the bushings are pretty cracked and worn down. For some reason they still skate good which is why I haven't changed them. They always have been shit IMO but the trucks are too good and it is not that noticeable.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 03:27:15 PM by gsosa »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 894
« Reply #1606 on: October 04, 2023, 02:49:34 PM »
I love a fucked up looking bushing that still performs well.

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #1607 on: October 05, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
For real, thunder stocks are ass in terms of durability, Admittedly, still kinda like the way they turn. I've also destroyed the pivot cups too. From crooks especially. Riptide bushings are the only ones that have been durable enough to last more than a few months, but they are pricey.

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #1608 on: October 05, 2023, 04:40:15 PM »
For real, thunder stocks are ass in terms of durability, Admittedly, still kinda like the way they turn. I've also destroyed the pivot cups too. From crooks especially. Riptide bushings are the only ones that have been durable enough to last more than a few months, but they are pricey.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #1609 on: October 05, 2023, 04:59:28 PM »
Back on Thunders after 3-4 years on Aces. Skated thunder before ace. I went from the AF-1 Hollows to the Thunder Team Hollows. Here are things I noticed:

- Pinch way better on rails, ledges, transition
- Pop is snappier, quicker. All my flat feels way better.
- Don't mind the wide arcing Thunder turning, I actually quite like it and how it rebounds to center. Stable as fuck, but stil responsive.
- How light they are, flips easier, takes less energy.

As i'm getting older, I think thunders just make more sense. Less cumulative energy usage over the duration of a long session and less effort put into trying to flip a heavy ass set up. I think gifted hater said skate aces just makes things harder for yourself. I'm inclined to agree.

agree with a lot of this.

i had so many different ace setups that i just couldn’t ever get the pop right. the pop leverage with thunders just works best for me.
tbf i had some miracle feeling ace completes, but orettt much only on really short wb’s.
ace does feel like it makes a lot more difficult

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1610 on: October 08, 2023, 01:54:03 AM »
Are 161 Hollow Lights going to be made again? Can only find the team standards in the UK and Europe. :(

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 100
« Reply #1611 on: October 08, 2023, 02:06:38 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated! I ended up ordering 149 Team Editions because of availabilty issues. Lots of old dead stock over here in germany. Maybe interesting for collectors. Will report back once i got a chance to try them.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1070
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1612 on: October 08, 2023, 05:01:57 PM »
Are 161 Hollow Lights going to be made again? Can only find the team standards in the UK and Europe. :(

I don't keep track of everything, but there are still some available from what I just saw online and they are on the more recent full catalog, not just the current short one.

Guessing though it depends on the area / country, as to what stock is available, or what local distributors ordered in and then what shops have ordered as well.  Stock could be sitting on distributors shelves, but none in shops easily enough.

Some of the higher end only go up to 149s now though.

Team editions (full range although 181 are currently not being made)

Team hollows to 149.

Ti axle to 149.

Lights to 151.

Hollow lights to 161.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/summer-2023/

In particular this one / these two with the current sizes in those options:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 25
« Reply #1613 on: October 08, 2023, 11:28:40 PM »
Can confirm that the stock bushings are shit in terms of durability. I've had these trucks since mid February and the bushings are pretty cracked and worn down. For some reason they still skate good which is why I haven't changed them. They always have been shit IMO but the trucks are too good and it is not that noticeable.

I can tell by your mixed hardware nuts you need to get longer hardware my guy

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1614 on: October 09, 2023, 06:59:34 AM »
^^ for real. 7/8" on team plates with risers (what are they btw? they look really slim - only ones I've found like that are the ACE 1/16) is pushing it.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1615 on: October 09, 2023, 08:02:43 AM »
What drugs are Thunder on? Black nuts? Gotta get all the nuts chrome/silver/gray... I have swapped them out on my team editions

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1616 on: October 09, 2023, 08:06:24 AM »
I think it's on brand....

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1617 on: October 09, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I can tell by your mixed hardware nuts you need to get longer hardware my guy

Yeah no doubt, Ive lost quite a few bolts due to them loosening up and just flying off and being unable to find them again.
^^ for real. 7/8" on team plates with risers (what are they btw? they look really slim - only ones I've found like that are the ACE 1/16) is pushing it.
They are actually 1 inch  hardware and the risers are the Real wooden risers (the 3 ply ones). I thought 1 inch would do the trick but it's not really the case. It's not THAT bad either just gotta make sure they arent loosening up but I'll for sure get some new hardware soon haha thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 01:10:08 PM by gsosa »

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #1618 on: October 09, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »
Hardware not long enough = hardware that self loosens = ovalling of baseplate mounting holes

Definitely get some new hardware that fully engages the nylock and thus wont loosen up on you

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1619 on: October 10, 2023, 07:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Back on Thunders after 3-4 years on Aces. Skated thunder before ace. I went from the AF-1 Hollows to the Thunder Team Hollows. Here are things I noticed:

- Pinch way better on rails, ledges, transition
- Pop is snappier, quicker. All my flat feels way better.
- Don't mind the wide arcing Thunder turning, I actually quite like it and how it rebounds to center. Stable as fuck, but stil responsive.
- How light they are, flips easier, takes less energy.

As i'm getting older, I think thunders just make more sense. Less cumulative energy usage over the duration of a long session and less effort put into trying to flip a heavy ass set up. I think gifted hater said skate aces just makes things harder for yourself. I'm inclined to agree.
[close]

agree with a lot of this.

i had so many different ace setups that i just couldn’t ever get the pop right. the pop leverage with thunders just works best for me.
tbf i had some miracle feeling ace completes, but orettt much only on really short wb’s.
ace does feel like it makes a lot more difficult
It's a bit more nuanced from my experience with both. Thunder's stablility makes starting the trick (popping) alot more reliable. I do find aces easier to finesse a trick if I don't land perfect though. Where I can get away with alot more tricks on aces, with thunders, if my balance is off, I often have to step off and bail a seemingly done deal.