Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40896 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2023, 09:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but anyone try skating any 53mm (or bigger) wheels on the lows?  If so, how is the wheelbite?
[close]
I’m on 53 conical fulls and have had 0 issue on the lows but I am running the hard bushings

Thanks for the response.
Haven’t seen you comment for awhile

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #451 on: March 12, 2023, 07:06:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but anyone try skating any 53mm (or bigger) wheels on the lows?  If so, how is the wheelbite?
[close]
I’m on 53 conical fulls and have had 0 issue on the lows but I am running the hard bushings
[close]

Thanks for the response.
Haha I still lurk but don’t find myself having anything useful to post so I normally don’t.
If it matters though I’m very happy with the ace lows

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #452 on: March 12, 2023, 08:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
Haha I still lurk but don’t find myself having anything useful to post so I normally don’t.

Shit does not stop me from firing off a bunch of half-cooked drivel.

That does matter, because if I have it right, you sometimes fuck with ventures, and maybe even liked business & co. And I like those things.
Apologies if I’ve confused you with someone else.
What size you go with?
I am currently messing about with af1 44s, regular height. Love the turn, grind is good, I enjoy being able to ride a wheel over 50. I’m using no speedrinfs on the inside, seems to work, and the truck is a great size for 8-8.125+ imo
Strangely, I like the pop on low trucks more, and the ace pop isn’t my fave.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: March 13, 2023, 02:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

That does matter, because if I have it right, you sometimes fuck with ventures, and maybe even liked business & co. And I like those things.
What size you go with?
I am currently messing about with af1 44s, regular height. Love the turn, grind is good, I enjoy being able to ride a wheel over 50. I’m using no speedrinfs on the inside, seems to work, and the truck is a great size for 8-8.125+ imo

Nope that’s me. I actually don’t love my regular AF1’s but love the lows.
Came straight from a long run of ventures but never the low because I couldn’t get them in the width I wanted. I did put them on a longer wheelbase board to ease myself into the difference in Wb they create. Ran the 8.3 with 14.3 wheelbase generator boards with the 44’s now I’m on the dlx truefit 8.3 with the 14 inch wheelbase which is much more comfortable for me. I feel like the low unlocked switch and nollie stuff for me and had a pretty easy switch from venture which I was shocked about .
I run two speed rings on the inside and haven’t had wheel bite issue with 53 but I’m probably running mine a tad bit more medium than most ace folk. The 44 with 8.3 works good because I feel like i have more leverage for scoopy tricks.
It’s the one time gear madness has been beneficial for my skating lol

Sorry for the long winded response

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2023, 03:00:20 PM »
AF1's 100% have the same height hangers on hi's and lo's. The only difference is the baseplates, therefore yes, a hollow AF1 hanger of any size can be used on a hi or lo baseplate.

The lo's have better kingpin clearance than the hi's, and they shrink the wheelbase. So to kinda make my AF1's turn into classics, I'm running stacked Ace risers (1/16" Ace shock pads under the 1/8" Ace shims) which brings them to 54mm height. Paired with 52mm wheels, pretty much zero wheelbite and insane turning. I did this mainly because I liked how the classics turned better, and the AF1's offer better strength so I get the best of both worlds now.

Some good pics of the differences between regular AGF1s and Lows here

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
I still love these trucks on riser pads. Feels just like ace classics (without the bending)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2023, 08:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

What size you go with?
[close]

Came straight from a long run of ventures but never the low because I couldn’t get them in the width I wanted. I did put them on a longer wheelbase board to ease myself into the difference in Wb they create. Ran the 8.3 with 14.3 wheelbase generator boards with the 44’s now I’m on the dlx truefit 8.3 with the 14 inch wheelbase which is much more comfortable for me. I feel like the low unlocked switch and nollie stuff for me and had a pretty easy switch from venture which I was shocked about .
I run two speed rings on the inside and haven’t had wheel bite issue with 53 but I’m probably running mine a tad bit more medium than most ace folk. The 44 with 8.3 works good because I feel like i have more leverage for scoopy tricks.

Very helpful.
The deck to truck recommendation is sick. The only bbs board I want to try is one of those true fits.
The only scenarios that I good pop with ace’s were on 14” wb. Doesn’t jibe with the theories some people have espoused about effective wb…but it worked. I have no idea why, but had two different setups, years apart, that both were popping, and thinking back, both had the short wb’s, and one even had 56 mm wheels which I usually think is stinking.
Blah blah blah

The lows look really interesting: a low truck that can clear a 53 is a game changer for me

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2023, 10:53:00 PM »
I still love these trucks on riser pads. Feels just like ace classics (without the bending)

This is exactly what I want to try. A 52mm truck with a short wheelbase is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm torn between trying these or the Indy Mid Hollow cast. The kingpin on those really irks me though.

I'm on smaller boards these days and regular Indys feel disproportionately tall with 8.125 or 8.0. Even the forged hollows feel a little tall with 54s. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #458 on: March 14, 2023, 06:41:11 AM »
I tried both and the mindys I think are a better middle ground.  The lower height and pushing the wheelbase in made the pop feel a bit too light.  They are super low though so if that’s what you’re looking for, they do the trick.  Minimal wheelbite, grind well…..I dropped a krux kp into the mindys and they seem to be working fine. 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: March 14, 2023, 07:23:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

What size you go with?
[close]

[close]

Very helpful.
The deck to truck recommendation is sick. The only bbs board I want to try is one of those true fits.
The only scenarios that I good pop with ace’s were on 14” wb. Doesn’t jibe with the theories some people have espoused about effective wb…but it worked. I have no idea why, but had two different setups, years apart, that both were popping, and thinking back, both had the short wb’s, and one even had 56 mm wheels which I usually think is stinking.
Blah blah blah

The lows look really interesting: a low truck that can clear a 53 is a game changer for me
I liked my true fit so much after the first session I went to the shop and got another one. I love the combo. Could probably cop the aces on the mesa distro site that has a 10 percent sign up code

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2023, 08:09:13 AM »
anyone running the 60 lows?
only other truck that has me considering a purchase
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #461 on: March 14, 2023, 08:31:49 AM »
anyone running the 60 lows?
only other truck that has me considering a purchase
I'm on the 60 lows, and I actually swapped out the hangers with a set from the AF1 Hollows, so now i've got a fully hollow low 60. I love them, I like the light pop feel, but the wheelbite is bad (I ride stock bushings extra loose with flat top washer, 50mm smokies)
I then put the used 'solid' hanger on the regular AF1 baseplate and put that on my cruiser and I kind of hate it. Ghost pop all day

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #462 on: March 14, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
is there any other company that makes a true low in an 8.75?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2023, 09:15:55 AM »
indy mid forged are 50.5mm
mini logo has the lowest 8.75 axle iirc
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2023, 10:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
indy mid forged are 50.5mm
mini logo has the lowest 8.75 axle iirc

50.5 is a good height. I, and maybe just me, liked the previous royals that were that height. Great pop.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2023, 10:04:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

What size you go with?
[close]

[close]

Very helpful.
Blah blah blah

[close]
I liked my true fit so much after the first session I went to the shop and got another one. I love the combo. Could probably cop the aces on the mesa distro site that has a 10 percent sign up code

Thanks for the site tip
How flat is the true fit? Bbs is…I whine a lot. Like a lot. But their boards have too much concave for me. Because I whine. But I’m gonna get one of these, because of there short dimensions.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

What size you go with?
[close]

[close]

Very helpful.
Blah blah blah

[close]
[close]

Thanks for the site tip
How flat is the true fit? Bbs is…I whine a lot. Like a lot. But their boards have too much concave for me. Because I whine. But I’m gonna get one of these, because of there short dimensions.
I normally like a 4 In the press but the one I have is a 2 with the one I have on deck a 4. It feels pretty good. Not quite as flat as the roger I had before this but it’s very comfortable. I’ll give it a look when later today and see how they compare

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2023, 12:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response.
[close]
[close]

What size you go with?
[close]

[close]

Very helpful.
Blah blah blah

[close]
[close]

Thanks for the site tip
[close]
I normally like a 4 In the press but the one I have is a 2 with the one I have on deck a 4. It feels pretty good. Not quite as flat as the roger I had before this but it’s very comfortable. I’ll give it a look when later today and see how they compare

Thanks

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2023, 08:36:50 AM »
After 2 almost years one the regular AF1's I switched to the lows and I think I finally found the perfect truck for me. They make everything so easy and ghost pop is not an issue anymore. I hope Ace keeps them in their lineup since they don't seem to be too popular.

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2023, 01:34:39 PM »
Is anyone running bushings other than ace's?

I really like these trucks. I was on the royals and enjoyed them. But going to an 8.0 board, I feel like I needed to go lower, and the royals(52mm hieght) only lacked in grind feel and distance maybe but they dont scale down in height with size... now on the ace af1 33 lows. Psyched on how light they "feel" as I've never had ace, thinking they are heavy trucks. But these trucks are what I've needed.I wanted low, but not super low and pushed out like venture/thunder. They grind and feel so good.
 I'm not a heavy guy and I got the hard low bushings from ace but they still feel softer to me. I really don't want to crank them down as I normally try not to on trucks.
    I'm also curious if those prototype bones looking bushings will actually be released by ace. My bushings are just starting to be mashed by the washer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 11:09:26 AM by ulpsb »

Mixed Bag

« Reply #470 on: September 27, 2023, 09:16:09 AM »
Im at 199lbs and I have settled on Riptide Krank 93a after sanding down the bottom barrel bushing to 10mm.
sand down the side with the sharp edge (open end of mould side) and have that face your hanger.

I was wheel biting with Ace Hards, put wheel wells on the board I was on, and still got wheelbite! 

52mm f4 classics or conicals, 52mm dragons for shite ground.

Then I went through bushing madness:

Indy Black aftermarket 94a (way softer than Riptide Krank 93a) but they were much cheaper so I gave it a punt.
I was thinking to try the 96a yellows, but im not into yellow bushings

Riptide APS 95a (felt stiff and didn't feel very responsive) they could have worked just didn't turn deep enough

Riptide Krank 96a (worked, but decreased the turning radius of the truck, maybe for big peeps or those that want to see if 56mm and up will work)

Riptide Krank 93a bottom 96a top, I liked this combo, might go back to it.

Bones Hard, kinda worked, but for me it just turned into a harder to turn truck, and I can go to another truck brand for that.

Riptide bushings seems to be harder than other brands, or maybe they are just more accurate in their duro rating?

I also put in riptide pivot cups halfway through the bushing changes, all I can say is they are GREEN......

Im on a FA/Hockey original shape 8.18 with DIY wheel wells, I think I can easily go to 54mm and still not wheelbite.

Now the trucks will still turn and feel like the stock bushings, and ACE hard bushings, but I just don't wheelbite.

Hope this helps.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #471 on: September 27, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
you win...how much is that in bushings?  like $100?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: September 27, 2023, 02:58:03 PM »

mixed bag….of bushings….

Mixed Bag

« Reply #473 on: September 27, 2023, 10:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mixed bag….of bushings….

Well played…

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

mixed bag….of bushings….
[close]

Well played…

The APS formula is great, but I use the 90A mostly, and I use 80A or 75A in some of my cruisers. Riptide makes a short barrel so you don’t have to cut the normal ones down.

Mixed Bag

« Reply #475 on: September 30, 2023, 10:00:22 PM »
Good to know, I just assumed like a stooge that they didn’t make barrels that short!

I was onto aps, but now prefer krank, at least for the aces