Author Topic: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark  (Read 56324 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark
« Reply #570 on: February 07, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »

Yeah these are all from springfield haha good times!
and its funny you commented because youre the guy that kid (pretty sure his name was Thor) was waving to in the first story
I skated with you quite a bit back in the day and i always remember you hosting the comps and providing the product for the prizes
My names Connor I used to ride for chemical storm and i followed you on instagram recently, I appreciate you always supporting the local skate scene much love mate hopefully we can skate again sometime

For sure.

Still skating, still doing my thing.  Not much has changed in that regard, maybe more just low key, cause thankfully so many others coming up have been able to take over running events and are doing awesome things around local parks in South East Queensland.

More than anything, just trying to still help out with anything to do with skateboarding in any way without kooking it too much.

Edit:

So a funny thing at a place I skate (all free to ride, volunteer staff and no payment or whatever on entry).

Dudes are skating this ledge beside a ramp and an older "transition skater" comes in and sits on the ledge to put his pads on, in front of others right there.

Me being the person sort of running the place and knowing everyone, including this guy, just says casually, "Hey you might not want to sit there, it is covered in wax as well as these guys are skating that" to which he replies "They can wait" like he is the only one that matters at the skatepark, so I just go "O -K..." and shake my head and go do something else.

Funnier thing is first run on the ramp, he eats shit and then complains about it being too slippery to which I just smile and think "Yeah ok" and then he leaves.

I get on the ramp later with some others who were also skating the ledge and although the ramp is skatelite and I know it is a little less grippy than raw concrete, it skates fine and the guys who I would trust for ability and an accurate review of such things think it is just right, not too slippery at all.

The whole interaction was so totally meant for this thread, I just didn't realise it at the time.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:42:06 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2023, 05:08:52 PM »
Heartwarming Situations at the Skatepark

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 104
« Reply #572 on: February 08, 2023, 03:04:33 AM »

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #573 on: February 08, 2023, 03:34:53 AM »
For a period of 6 weeks or so I skated a very small pre-fab park in a very poor area.  I went because it had a 3ft mini ramp and a micro spine, so it was ideal for learning.

I never saw anyone else skate the park, but the local children (I'm talking maybe 6-12 years old here) for some reason didn't want anyone to skate it either. The park was in the middle of a grassy field near a school and the children started to dig up the dirt from the perimeter of the skatepark and dump it on both the obstacles and the flatground.

At the start, it was manageable: I just took a brush and swept it off, but this seemed to just enrage them more.  It became impossible to skate due to the quantity of dirt, sweets, gum etc that had been dumped on the skatepark. The last time I went, a friend drove me and we had to leave because the children threw rocks at his car.

Really quite perplexing.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

IpathCats

« Reply #574 on: February 08, 2023, 06:09:06 AM »

2 young girls sniffing glue then got arrested, my mate filmed it on his vx but ill feel bad if i posted the link to the vid because it was pretty sad

HOLY SHIT! def glossed over this one. Aussies on that gummo shit.

For a period of 6 weeks or so I skated a very small pre-fab park in a very poor area.  I went because it had a 3ft mini ramp and a micro spine, so it was ideal for learning.

I never saw anyone else skate the park, but the local children (I'm talking maybe 6-12 years old here) for some reason didn't want anyone to skate it either. The park was in the middle of a grassy field near a school and the children started to dig up the dirt from the perimeter of the skatepark and dump it on both the obstacles and the flatground.

At the start, it was manageable: I just took a brush and swept it off, but this seemed to just enrage them more.  It became impossible to skate due to the quantity of dirt, sweets, gum etc that had been dumped on the skatepark. The last time I went, a friend drove me and we had to leave because the children threw rocks at his car.

Really quite perplexing.

Some children of the corn shit. You were being a total outlander bro, not cool. Should've shown up with some sort of sacrificial offering to appease the local savages. A small mammal, or maybe some nice baguette mini sandwiches with hummus and peppers like @cucktard

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #575 on: February 08, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »
Heartwarming Situations at the Skatepark

New thread…

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #576 on: February 08, 2023, 09:01:04 AM »
mid-morning sesh.

trying a flat ground trick.

do it.

look up, see a guy clapping looking right at me.

first bump him as i pass.

seems a bit off.

look back.

he's hugging his mate who did something much harder on the hip right behind me.

internal screaming.

same day.

go back for an evening sesh.

do a trick.

think to myself 'yeah, that one was nice.'

hear someone yell 'yeah, that one was nice.'

refuse to react on the basis that they must be talking to someone else.

'bro, that one was really nice.'

continue to studiously ignore the voice.

'yo, what the fuck? are you trying to cool guy me?'

go red. apologise a lot. my voice goes weirdly posh for some reason.

more internal screaming.

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #577 on: February 08, 2023, 09:44:59 AM »

Really quite perplexing.

I posted this way earlier in the thread but some little shithead kids started throwing dirt in the park when some grown-ass dude was talking shit to them. Then they started pouring water and pissing on the ramps after we left. Kids went buckwild but the dude shouldn't have been talking shit to the kids.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #578 on: February 08, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »
mid-morning sesh.

do it.

seems a bit off.

look back.

internal screaming.

same day.

do a trick.

more internal screaming.

I'm feeling some second-hand embarrassment from this one

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: February 08, 2023, 10:05:23 AM »
I can see me doubling down on the conspiracy surrounding a serial celebrator…..does this guy even skate?  He just celebrates….I’m sure he’s going to leave the skatepark, join a pick up game of basketball and high five a bunch of guys…..then to an AA meeting where after trying to incite a chant he’s told it’s about support….not celebration….

I’d tell him straight up….’you ever heard of a a muted: yew!??’  That’s all I really want….

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #580 on: February 08, 2023, 11:32:32 AM »

Really quite perplexing.

The feral children in Dublin are like this...

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #581 on: February 08, 2023, 11:37:44 AM »
Expand Quote
mid-morning sesh.

do it.

seems a bit off.

look back.

internal screaming.

same day.

do a trick.

more internal screaming.
[close]

Same here, this one hurts. Sorry you went thru this

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #582 on: February 08, 2023, 12:06:56 PM »
i always feel awkward when the little park i go to gets crowded and some cool dude has to have his friend film him skatepark clips when the park is most busy...

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: February 08, 2023, 12:30:32 PM »
i always feel awkward when the little park i go to gets crowded and some cool dude has to have his friend film him skatepark clips when the park is most busy...

i don't really judge people for filming at the park (okay, i actually do a tiny bit - but leaving that aside...). the only problem is that an awful lot of people think that you suddenly have priority if you're filming.

like, if it's something really heavy and they're really close and need to keep the flow going, i get it and will happily make an allowance and let them take, say, two or three goes to everyone of mine. but i'd do the same whether they were filming or not.

what i'm definitely not gonna do is just suddenly stop hitting the ledge i came out to session because you've decided instagram needs to see you do kickflip nose tap flop out. as a single trick. filmed on the scratched lens of 4th most recent iphone. by your visibly embarrassed mate.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #584 on: February 08, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »
The feral children in Dublin are like this...

Close, this was Scotland.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #585 on: February 08, 2023, 04:21:25 PM »
tweaker sitting on the ledge smoking crack

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #586 on: February 08, 2023, 05:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
mid-morning sesh.

do it.

seems a bit off.

look back.

internal screaming.

same day.

do a trick.

more internal screaming.
[close]

I was visiting a park I had never been to and after a bunch of tries managed a really long boardslide on a round bar (the easy way but it was probably 24’ or something). As I was riding away some guy I’ve never laid eyes on is skating toward me with his hand up, cocked for a high five, going “yeah man!” However, there’s another guy behind me and I’m sure the high five is for him.

I skate by the guy and he’s like like “What the hell dude? Leaving me hanging?” I turn around and apologize and told him I thought he was talking to someone else. I claim the high five but the moment has already passed and now it’s just awkward.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #587 on: February 08, 2023, 06:01:59 PM »
Me and some friends used to go to Burnside at like 5-6am before class in middle school. One time we got there and a guy with dreads down to his knees was painting “GO BMX” on the big wall in white WITH HIS DREADS. He was on a fixie with paint buckets on either handlebar dumping white paint all over the park and had covered some serious ground. We threw bottles at him until he left.
 Then my friend dropped in on the elbow, slipped in paint and ate shit into a puddle of paint. His whole side was painted white and we ended up being late to school that day lmao
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2023, 08:10:00 PM »

I forgot this was a thing but the other day….like a real filmer showed up to the park….acting like his crew was wasting his time warming up at the park…..pretending to sleep, staring at his phone…..heaven forbid he actually rode a skateboard…….the alpha filmer…..totally forgot about that guy…..that’s a big fish skateboarding isn’t really missing…

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #589 on: February 09, 2023, 01:52:00 AM »

Really quite perplexing.

Have you considered pretending to be a cop to dissuade these kids from trashing the park?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: February 09, 2023, 03:00:55 AM »
Expand Quote

Really quite perplexing.
[close]

Have you considered pretending to be a cop to dissuade these kids from trashing the park?

red head duck

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
so a couple of weeks back I take my 6 year old kid who skates to this skatepark I never been and he really liked the park. so much so he one sunday after lunch he asked me out of the blue to take him to that specific park.

me as an old skater who has a6 year old kid who is trying to learn how to ride and learn how to ollie, I usually take him to spots or skateparks in the mornings so everywhere is less crowded.

obviously sunday after lunch, we were lucky just a couple of teenagers skateboarding they even gave some tips to my son as they had already watched him try to ollie. I noticed they left around 5PM, I thought well its winter its getting chilly I'm gonna let my son have the skatepark to himself. 1 hour later 3 teenagers who weren't skaters with ski masks on came up to me and told me "you are the enemy of the day"... maybe they thought I was another teenager and they wanted to rob me or whatever and before they could keep talking shit to me or whatever, I was like look kid I'm not a teenager nor your "enemy of the day" I'm calling the cops so don't even try anything on me or my kid.

asked my son to pick his board, got to the car, for real called the cops and left. while I was getting my kid in the car saw another guy leaving as well probably another victim of being "the enemy of the day"...

really sad it was a decent skatepark, but I rather enjoy my time on the board and the bonding time with my kid without having to deal with ghetto teenagers trying to be skatepark gangstas...

for me it was awkward as hell as I'm not a teenager anymore and now warming up is basically part of my time on the board... and any time stupid skatepark shit happens to my time with my boy is a drag.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:03:36 PM by Numeral »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2023, 11:55:27 PM »
Well ya all got me mad excited about all the things that will happen in my local park in the next weeks since it now gets a bit warmer here.

Usually we have the park for ourselves. But when the weather is nice, all kinds of people decide to hang out at a skatepark. Most of them don't skate tho.

My favorites are the families having a picnic on the flatrail.
And the 40+ crowd with RC cars are also rad people.
IG: @flowterspace

IpathCats

« Reply #593 on: February 13, 2023, 06:35:30 AM »
I know this thread has become more about just crazy skatepark stories (which i love)

But something genuinely awkward did happen to me recently.

These two newer guys started showing up to the park, one of them is more experienced than the other. The more experienced one is a nice guy, he gets stoked for people when they land things and has a general sense of park etiquette.

The less experienced one is completely tatted, wearing jordan 11's, and those skinny jeans with the rips all up the front. He looks like a fish out of water, but hey he's trying, I cant hate.

The awkward part is how the less experienced one watches others. I will be skating the ledge, and dude will just come up about 4 feet away from the middle of the ledge off to the side and stand there/stare with a blank face.

I asked him politely to move and he literally took one step away.

He didn't get mad or anything, was just sort of expressionless and blank. Standing there, watching me, listening, smelling.... waiting.

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #594 on: February 13, 2023, 08:30:15 AM »
There's a dude that goes to one of our local parks to farm non-skate content for tiktok or some shit. Like rolling bowling balls around the bowl in order to hit himself in the nuts. I went there to skate the bowl one time and he was in there, so I asked him to get out so I could skate and he got super huffy about it. It was so bizarre to get aggrieved when his lowest common denominator BS is an annoyance to literally everyone over the age of 7.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
« Reply #595 on: February 13, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »
How do you guys get that one kid to fuck off that starts with "i like your board" then proceeds to follow you around the park the entire time you're there?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #596 on: February 13, 2023, 10:04:56 AM »
How do you guys get that one kid to fuck off that starts with "i like your board" then proceeds to follow you around the park the entire time you're there?

I've had this happen a few times. I do one of two things. First, I'll start charging around the park at full speed. If that doesn't work, I'll make my way to my car and pretend I'm fixing something on my board.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: February 13, 2023, 10:10:49 AM »
You have to put on your happiest face and say…..’ hey little buddy, following me around like that isn’t really safe… cool?’  You then need to fist bump him at least once….praise him a couple more….then say bye to him, preferably with parent….it’s fucked but it’s how it is….kids aren’t afraid of adults….they look to them for approval, not sure where they learned that…..

Here’s a bullet I dodged with a ten year old kid who was leaving the park….’you better go catch up with your grandma!……

‘That’s my mom….’

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #598 on: February 13, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »
You have to put on your happiest face and say…..’ hey little buddy, following me around like that isn’t really safe… cool?’  You then need to fist bump him at least once….praise him a couple more….then say bye to him, preferably with parent….it’s fucked but it’s how it is….kids aren’t afraid of adults….they look to them for approval, not sure where they learned that…..

Here’s a bullet I dodged with a ten year old kid who was leaving the park….’you better go catch up with your grandma!……

‘That’s my mom….’

Yeah, I usually give them a little encouragement and try to go too fast for them to follow. If they still do just say, don’t get too close, I need some room.
  Most of the times it’s little kids that are dying for attention from a parent figure. I’ll look over at the benches and they have a tweaked looking dad or mom, or they are there with a grandmother that is chainsmoking and half dead. I literally saw a dad/ (maybe mom), girlfriend couple kick a little 6ish year old kid out of their car into the park. They told the kid tell him to not bother them until they called. 5 minutes later she is ass up in the front window giving the dad a blowjob. Classy.

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
« Reply #599 on: February 13, 2023, 11:56:14 AM »
Expand Quote

‘That’s my mom….’
[close]

Yeah, I usually give them a little encouragement and try to go too fast for them to follow. If they still do just say, don’t get too close, I need some room.
  Most of the times it’s little kids that are dying for attention from a parent figure. I’ll look over at the benches and they have a tweaked looking dad or mom, or they are there with a grandmother that is chainsmoking and half dead. I literally saw a dad/ (maybe mom), girlfriend couple kick a little 6ish year old kid out of their car into the park. They told the kid tell him to not bother them until they called. 5 minutes later she is ass up in the front window giving the dad a blowjob. Classy.

Wow spot on with this holy shit. Mom drops him off when the park opens at 9 am and doesn't pick him up till it closes at 9pm. I was there at 7:30pm. Also told me how his dad moved to the otherside of the country and he doesn't ever see him.

Some parents are rough around the edges.

Expand Quote
[close]

I've had this happen a few times. I do one of two things. First, I'll start charging around the park at full speed. If that doesn't work, I'll make my way to my car and pretend I'm fixing something on my board.

Tried the go to my car thing and he followed me right to the door of my car lol gonna go for the charge around the park full speed thing next time. Little fucker kinda rips though. Park was completely empty so I had in headphones too btw...