Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 419876 times)

TrainWreck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1920 on: February 23, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »
I remember when Gary Rogers started his Youtube thing, before he got picked up by Thrasher. I guess Gifted Hated will become part of the industry at some point.

He started almost ten yaers ago https://youtube.com/@metroskateboarding/videos . He had a short time, when he was with the ridechannel, but changed quickly to thrasher. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he can make a living out of this.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1921 on: February 23, 2023, 03:33:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember when Gary Rogers started his Youtube thing, before he got picked up by Thrasher. I guess Gifted Hated will become part of the industry at some point.
[close]

He started almost ten yaers ago https://youtube.com/@metroskateboarding/videos . He had a short time, when he was with the ridechannel, but changed quickly to thrasher. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he can make a living out of this.
in all honesty his ride channel stuff was a lot more funny. Or maybe I was just 13 and someone not dickriding the industry was just hilarious and edgy to me

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1922 on: February 23, 2023, 03:50:17 PM »

I think he’s already part of the industry. Skates with pros, has a connection to sci-fi and last resort. His pocket mag followed is one of the most viewed and his YouTube numbers per video are usually around 100k. Not to mention he earns more from patreon than most mid-tier pros I’d bet.

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1923 on: February 23, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he’s already part of the industry. Skates with pros, has a connection to sci-fi and last resort. His pocket mag followed is one of the most viewed and his YouTube numbers per video are usually around 100k. Not to mention he earns more from patreon than most mid-tier pros I’d bet.

yeah exactly. I think that he's made it into his spot in the industry. He's always with Jerry Hsu, Ryan Lay, Chandler Burton. He has his friends and gets sent product by scifi, last resort. He said on Ben Degros channel that he was sent forged indys but who knows where from.
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #1924 on: February 23, 2023, 10:21:25 PM »
in his newest patreon video he confirms that the song choice was 100% not for laughs, he genuinely likes the song and thought it matched the skating.

alright nexxxtttttt

notskatetheorist

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1925 on: February 24, 2023, 06:37:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I bet you are right. I talked to a decent sized YouTube skater recently that said he thinks there probably arent even 100 pro skaters that make a living off of pure skater. Gifteds Patreon numbers are crazy big he is probably making more than 99.999% of skaters other than the top 10-20 guys

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1926 on: February 24, 2023, 10:44:16 PM »
he was put on this planet to be Gifted Hater

his voice and his takes piss off all the right people and i love watching him go after ppl i thought deserved some

that Illegal Civ kid being one of them

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1927 on: February 25, 2023, 06:12:26 AM »
lol I just looked and he’s at nearly 2000 patrons paying a minimum of $4.99 per month, which means at least $10,000/m income. And of course, a lot of those probably pay $10 for the higher tier, so $10k is the absolutely floor. So yeah, unless you’ve got a shoe and/or a drink sponsor (or sell && volume of decks), he is absolutely in the top 1% of the skate industry. His tax liability has gotta be brutal, though.

Of course, he only earns a fifth of what Michael Burnett makes, and that’s the real issue.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1928 on: February 25, 2023, 08:07:22 AM »
lol I just looked and he’s at nearly 2000 patrons paying a minimum of $4.99 per month, which means at least $10,000/m income. And of course, a lot of those probably pay $10 for the higher tier, so $10k is the absolutely floor. So yeah, unless you’ve got a shoe and/or a drink sponsor (or sell && volume of decks), he is absolutely in the top 1% of the skate industry. His tax liability has gotta be brutal, though.

Of course, he only earns a fifth of what Michael Burnett makes, and that’s the real issue.
Nah pros names are worth way more than that. Just ask Keelan dadd

notskatetheorist

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1929 on: February 26, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You think there are a lot of pros making over 100k a year?? 🤔

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1930 on: February 26, 2023, 06:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
seeing money coming in but it ain’t enough.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1931 on: February 26, 2023, 09:46:17 PM »

His number of patrons is shockingly big. There's YouTube channels with millions of subscribers who have less patrons than him. Fool is able to make over 6 figures in a year from patreon with less than 100k subscribers on YouTube. Good for him

bohemian

• Rep: -324
« Reply #1932 on: February 27, 2023, 03:44:24 AM »

our dude gets payed, but how the hell is hill leading the pack lmao

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1933 on: February 27, 2023, 05:07:00 AM »
Hell yeah I got in the video in the GH thread screenshot, baby.  Better start my patreon

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1934 on: February 27, 2023, 07:25:18 AM »

I suppose there is a way to track these numbers, but I don't think there's any truth at all to the premise that GH's rise is tied to a "horribly mismanaged Battle at the Berrics." That's just more grease for his content mill.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1935 on: February 27, 2023, 07:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I suppose there is a way to track these numbers, but I don't think there's any truth at all to the premise that GH's rise is tied to a "horribly mismanaged Battle at the Berrics." That's just more grease for his content mill.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC82d7bBOUmsE_b8crhEgSIw
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1936 on: February 27, 2023, 08:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC82d7bBOUmsE_b8crhEgSIw

This would require me to pay a modicum of attention to the Berrics, though.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
« Reply #1937 on: February 27, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »
Hell yeah I got in the video in the GH thread screenshot, baby.  Better start my patreon

Woah, didn’t know we had a celebrity amongst us.  Can I get your autograph?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1938 on: February 27, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »

This video is really embarrassing and catty. I try not to be negative on SLAP, but this video was toxic, passive-aggressive, and even dishonest at times.

Unrelated (not dishonest, just bad data visualization): 3 mins in got hit with this graph (red MS paint doodles are mine):

The graph starts at 128,120 rather than 0. Then takes 2/5ths of the graph to get from 128,120 to 500,000. Then takes less than half of that amount to get from 500,000 to 1,000,000. Its like some sort of bizarre logarithmic graph for no reason. I'm so confused.

This guy seems to care more about presentation, production quality, and -appearing- smart/professional/mature than anything else. He seems like he smugly looks down on others who don't carry his own demeanor, even though he too resorts to bully-tactics, but just behind an intellectual facade.

I don't have any context for this channel but it seems he is holding a major grudge with GH over something, and this video is using the presentation of "facts and logic" to defeat Gifted Hater "in the marketplace of ideas". The "Gifted Haters fans are children buying Patreon subscriptions with their parents credit cards" bit just felt so bitter. So did making fun of GH's voice and appearance behind the guise of "I'm just showing a video of someone else critiquing him!".

There is plenty to critique GH about, but this felt like it was entirely in bad faith. As well as schoolyard bully comments about GH rather than substantive critique.

On a more positive note, I just watched Dumb Data's Chad Caruso 50 States analysis video, and that was excellent. I watched that challenge live as it was uploaded (and his previous 30 tricks 30 days challenge live as he uploaded) so it was cool to see this type of breakdown. Dumb Data should stick to more positive content, this GH video was a really bad look for him, but I think Dumb Data has a niche in skateboarding that's worthwhile. He just needs to drops the ego and keeps things more positive.

Also, reminder to everyone that there is no such thing objectivity when it comes to data, news reporting, history, etc. All humans are biased. Data is biased. Beware of "objectivity" STEM-lords.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:58:20 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #1939 on: February 27, 2023, 12:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This video is really embarrassing and catty. I try not to be negative on SLAP, but this video was toxic, passive-aggressive, and even dishonest at times.

Unrelated (not dishonest, just bad data visualization): 3 mins in got hit with this graph (red MS paint doodles are mine):

The graph starts at 128,120 rather than 0. Then takes 2/5ths of the graph to get from 128,120 to 500,000. Then takes less than half of that amount to get from 500,000 to 1,000,000. Its like some sort of bizarre logarithmic graph for no reason. I'm so confused.

This guy seems to care more about presentation, production quality, and -appearing- smart/professional/mature than anything else. He seems like he smugly looks down on others who don't carry his own demeanor, even though he too resorts to bully-tactics, but just behind an intellectual facade.

I don't have any context for this channel but it seems he is holding a major grudge with GH over something, and this video is using the presentation of "facts and logic" to defeat Gifted Hater "in the marketplace of ideas". The "Gifted Haters fans are children buying Patreon subscriptions with their parents credit cards" bit just felt so bitter. So did making fun of GH's voice and appearance behind the guise of "I'm just showing a video of someone else critiquing him!".

There is plenty to critique GH about, but this felt like it was entirely in bad faith. As well as schoolyard bully comments about GH rather than substantive critique.

On a more positive note, I just watched Dumb Data's Chad Caruso 50 States analysis video, and that was excellent. I watched that challenge live as it was uploaded (and his previous 30 tricks 30 days challenge live as he uploaded) so it was cool to see this type of breakdown. Dumb Data should stick to more positive content, this GH video was a really bad look for him, but I think Dumb Data has a niche in skateboarding that's worthwhile. He just needs to drops the ego and keeps things more positive.

Also, reminder to everyone that there is no such thing objectivity when it comes to data, news reporting, history, etc. All humans are biased. Data is biased. Beware of "objectivity" STEM-lords.

Agreed. Dumb Data is wack, his snarky voice is grating in its own way and his faux-intellectual number crunching approach is pretty soulless. He also seems to value technical difficulty over actual style and unique talent, which definitely doesn't speak to me.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1940 on: February 27, 2023, 12:11:48 PM »
Dumb data trying to stay relevant by starting beef. Guy is whack

Also he should've gave us a jump scare warning for that photo of dan corrigan at 3:20
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:36:16 PM by ejazzle »

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #1941 on: February 27, 2023, 01:02:06 PM »
friend sent me this last night

https://www.instagram.com/joafield/

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #1942 on: February 27, 2023, 01:09:57 PM »
Dumb data guy is indeed awful.

GH used to really irk me but he's grown on me a little lately. Still not really my thing but can appreciate him as a goofy/entertaining character. The comment he made about Nora cackling at Venice Beach curbs almost made me spit take all over my monitor.

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1943 on: February 27, 2023, 01:50:06 PM »
Dumb data wanted to colab and GH said "no, lol".
That wqs like 1 year ago but apparently this data guy is stil dealing with the rejection, he has a vid from back then called "responding to GH" but I ain't watching that, or this one.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1944 on: February 27, 2023, 03:05:02 PM »
I can't stand that dumb data guy, everytime he tries to diss or make joke it gets pretty embarrassing.   
He is milking probably this topic for views now that the battle at berrics is gone.
check my music

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1945 on: February 27, 2023, 05:52:46 PM »
My theory with dumb data is it started as a fun idea/joke like how stupid would it be if someone actually went into such specific detail but then after a few videos it's like what's the point anymore but also can't quit now cos they've got some following

my bad cuh

« Reply #1946 on: February 28, 2023, 07:02:05 AM »

honestly its missing some of that previous vlogman4000 soul and some important characters
but it makes sense because it seems like hes been with the sci fi people like everyday for the past month which is also great

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #1947 on: February 28, 2023, 07:50:43 AM »
I can't stand that dumb data guy, everytime he tries to diss or make joke it gets pretty embarrassing.   
He is milking probably this topic for views now that the battle at berrics is gone.
Yeah. He's obviously trying to attract views by using Gifted Hater in the title; the same thing he mentioned other channels doing.
My theory with dumb data is it started as a fun idea/joke like how stupid would it be if someone actually went into such specific detail but then after a few videos it's like what's the point anymore but also can't quit now cos they've got some following
I wanna give you the benefit of the doubt, but dude seems to really like the Rodney vs. Daewon videos and Ryan Decenzo's skating, so I'm hesitant to give him any credit for being that ironic or not actually invested in his number crunching schtick. He has terrible taste/takes.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1948 on: February 28, 2023, 08:36:12 AM »

honestly its missing some of that previous vlogman4000 soul and some important characters
but it makes sense because it seems like hes been with the sci fi people like everyday for the past month which is also great

I don't remember them having much soul, they seemed like silly one off videos. Hilarious to very unsubtlety drop the clip of the Milton fist bump, though.

slimvanilla

« Reply #1949 on: February 28, 2023, 09:47:33 AM »

that ankle injury Steve Berra transition was gold. also who was that comparing GH to Andrew Tate? lol