Author Topic: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?  (Read 16344 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They've got to be one of the most profitable companies in skate. And half the company is owned by Carlyle Group, which is entirely antithetical to what skateboarding stands for. But it doesn't seem like they get any criticism at all. I feel like lots of skaters have learned to be super-critical of Nike, but it doesn't seem like there is a mass consensus about Supreme being bad for skate.

I can't recall ever hearing about Supreme doing stuff for skaters–besides sponsoring riders. No contests, no dontations, no skateparks, nothing at all that I can recall. Am I missing pieces of the picture, or is this an accurate take?
[close]

what about DVS being owned by SBG. Huf and Lakai being owned by Altamont Capital. Supra being owned by K-Swiss. Vans being owned by VF. converse being owned by Nike. I could go on and on. Point is they started as a skateshop. they employ countless skaters and allow many of them to have careers. do you think half of todays pro skaters would still be pro skaters if there was no corporate support? no they'd have to get a real job and support their family. you may hate it but most of if not all of the skaters you love have been able to have a long successful career party because of corporate sponsors at one point of their career or another.
[close]

You missed something: (I hate that I'm posting a link to a Hypebeast page but): https://hypebeast.com/2017/11/huf-tsi-holdings-acquisition-90-percent-stake
If you listen to ISUCK's podcast you'd understand that without outside investment HUF wouldn't still be a brand. They were killing it but demand was outstripping supply and they struggled to get the capital needed to continue. That's the nature of the "expand or die" system.

ManMelt

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »
I bought a bunch of things from the store in the early 2000’s, when Hickey was still there. mostly hats. I’ve been to embarrassed to even wear them in the current climate, so I sold them all this Vietnamese guy that lives in the apartment across the hall. He paid a pretty penny for each one, and was so hyped to be getting “vintage Preme”. It was cringe worthy. You couldn’t pay me to wear a Supreme hat in 2018.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2018, 06:08:22 AM »
"Vintage Preme" .. that makes me laugh / sick together

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »

If you listen to ISUCK's podcast you'd understand that without outside investment HUF wouldn't still be a brand. They were killing it but demand was outstripping supply and they struggled to get the capital needed to continue. That's the nature of the "expand or die" system.
[/quote]

HUF(co) could have stayed in business and not grown at all and the only sad people would have been their initial investors not getting paid like their American dreams demand. Its not like they pull your business license if you dont grow 5% YoY. You fell for their bullshit just like the kids do. Cant hate on Huf(nagel) getting paid, but dont pretend that its the same company. Its just a series of stickers some investment bankers now own.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »

HUF(co) could have stayed in business and not grown at all and the only sad people would have been their initial investors not getting paid like their American dreams demand. Its not like they pull your business license if you dont grow 5% YoY. You fell for their bullshit just like the kids do. Cant hate on Huf(nagel) getting paid, but dont pretend that its the same company. Its just a series of stickers some investment bankers now own.
[/quote]
Aiming or deciding to remain an independent or cottage business is a sure fire way to limit your company's life expectancy when you have outlets in SF (currently America's most expensive city) and Tokyo (Asia's most expensive city). If you want to relocate to a less expensive regional locale and scratch by then fine. If there's a demand for more original products then you need to "expand or die". How'd you think the initial investors are gonna feel about that business model?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »

But with the TON of money they're sitting on it would be cool to see if they gave back to skaters/kids that come from a 'less privileged' background... They use that image to SELL after all right? The grungy/grimey NY look?

Well I truly wish they would start some kind of charity to help the kids that come from those neighborhoods, that maybe skate and barely have enough money to buy a pair of walmart jeans...

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought No it doesn’t but after this pic it def gives back

[close]
That's a lot of pixelation. He either hangs mad dong or there's a wanted little person hiding in his crotch.
[close]

Haha

Supreme and that whole culture of limited street wear at its core has such strange fetish to it. They run on how badly people want the products. Just making them as desireable as possible which means they need to be very limited and expensive. It is not for everyone! You can't just skate our bowl, we don't associate with that regular shit. You need to know people!
The other day at the skatepark I saw a whole group of people in their thirties doing a photo shoot for a limited release nike shoe. Literally for hours they would put the shoe in different positions and take photos from various angles. Later I saw them taking photos of each other standing on this old looking railroad bridge. I guess they wanted to add some grittiness to their pictures. Fucking standing on the railroad tracks risking their life for dumb photos with some stupid sneakers!

Theyre trying to expand nike into the bridge walking market. They work for the marketing department. Special ops.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
I bought a bunch of things from the store in the early 2000’s, when Hickey was still there. mostly hats. I’ve been to embarrassed to even wear them in the current climate, so I sold them all this Vietnamese guy that lives in the apartment across the hall. He paid a pretty penny for each one, and was so hyped to be getting “vintage Preme”. It was cringe worthy. You couldn’t pay me to wear a Supreme hat in 2018.

Why would you even have to mention his race you fucking privileged 'white' douchebag piece of shit fuccboi?! If we're getting all sjw on this shit, let's bring it all out there.

And I guarantee, you're cringe worthy in real life you closet racist fuckface.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:24:39 AM by verylowimpact »

shark tits

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why would you even have to mention his race you fucking privileged 'white' douchebag piece of shit fuccboi?! If we're getting all sjw on this shit, let's bring it all out there.

yeah, how dare anyone mention race! i'm aghast.

verylowimpact

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did that on purpose butthole, but didn't expect anyone stupid enough to actually call me out on it. But, closet racist have to stick together...aye?

shark tits

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Did that on purpose butthole, but didn't expect anyone stupid enough to actually call me out on it. But, closet racist have to stick together...aye?
i don't think you did. it's consistent w/ your corny wanna be reagan persona.
i don't care for the guy but at least he's original. you're a copy of a wack dude who at least 50-50'd hubba.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »
Asians love Supreme lets not all pretend this isn’t a universal truth

verylowimpact

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »

Doesn't every fucking race love supreme? Or is it OK to single out one minority race?

Would love to hear your educated factual explanation on your ignorant statement.

verylowimpact

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i don't care for the guy but at least he's original. you're a copy of a wack dude who at least 50-50'd hubba.

Absurd..lmao. Go eat some spaghetti out of the bath tub. I can't even with you.

shark tits

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

can't even what? that's not a complete sentence, valley girl.

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
can't even what? that's not a complete sentence, valley girl.
Damn ya'll really doin this

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doesn't every fucking race love supreme? Or is it OK to single out one minority race?

Would love to hear your educated factual explanation on your ignorant statement.
If I was selling some "vintage Preme" and it was a sealed bid between races I'd bet that the Asian contingent of the auction would out bid all comers. I might be wrong but I don't see how that is racist.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
you guys are so gay man like for reals

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
you guys are so gay man like for reals
Thank you for noticing.

verylowimpact

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If I was selling some "vintage Preme" and it was a sealed bid between races I'd bet that the Asian contingent of the auction would out bid all comers. I might be wrong but I don't see how that is racist.

Racist? Maybe not, prejudice tho? 100%

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice Gummo reference
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

verylowimpact

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice Gummo reference

;)

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not one single person of average intelligence can claim to be free of prejudice. That does not mean that anyone has any good reason for being racist.

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Not one single person of average intelligence can claim to be free of prejudice. That does not mean that anyone has any good reason for being racist.

Agree. Prejudice will exist unless one can completely dissolve themselves of any/all meaning.

verylowimpact

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Let's not kid ourselves. When it comes to race and prejudices combined, it's a fine fucking burry line. You can't really separate the two into becoming the majority of the time...somewhat negative. With that clusterfuck, it morphs into some type of systematic dislike or generalized false truth, which in turn, could be considered somewhat racist.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:12:52 PM by verylowimpact »

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Agree. Prejudice will exist unless one can completely dissolve themselves of any/all meaning.
Psychedelic Maaan!

Alex looking like mike honcho

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Let's not kid ourselves. When it comes to race and prejudices combined, it's a fine fucking burry line. You can't really separate the two into becoming the majority of the time...somewhat negative. With that clusterfuck, it morphs into some type of systematic dislike or generalized false truth, which in turn, could be considered somewhat racist.

Racism is inherently prejudicial, but prejudice isn't inherently racial??

My vape pen could be doing the talking rn.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Presumptuous at worst. Thinking that a person of Asian descent would be willing to pay more for vintage preme is based on basic market research. To be racist or even prejudice would somehow disadvantage that purchaser when your end goal is the make skrilla.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Presumptuous at worst. Thinking that a person of Asian descent would be willing to pay more for vintage preme is based on basic market research. To be racist or even prejudice would somehow disadvantage that purchaser when your end goal is the make skrilla.

so fulltechnicalskizzy,
via Imgflip Meme Generator
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:52:24 PM by behavioralguide »

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

What podcast is this? Link me please?