Author Topic: Jake Phelps persona non grata  (Read 122001 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Jake Phelps persona non grata
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:11:04 AM »
Apparently Jake is accused of spitting at a nine year old girl skating the bowl at HOV London as well as other skaters. The next day at southbank and Stockwell park he was heard throwing racial slurs and forced to leave by locals. Details are sketchy but he's also allegedly squared up to young black skaters after his slurs.

shit_for_brains

Re: Jake Phelps persona non grata
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
I'm shocked I tell you SHOCKED

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
put this man in a retirement home already

Yu Dum

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
I used to defend Phelps because he was cool when I met him, but as time goes on I’ve seen nothing but kooky actions and words spewing from his crooked maw.
Take him down and give that position to someone who will treat it (and those involved; whether directly or indirectly) with some goddamned respect.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »
Who could have seen it coming... Real bummer that as he ages he's showing himself to be more and more of a scumbag, but it's not really anything new. Old age is just an excuse to not put so much effort into being personable.

Burnett for editor in chief

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »
The first time I met Jake was in Australia on Salman Agah's SOTY trip. He was cool with us but tried to sell me wheels for more than what shops sold them for at the time. I laughed.

I sincerely believe that he does not discriminate according to people's ethnicity but rather is a derelict old fart who's hit his head once too many times  and smoked hubba way too much and lacks a filter in his brain. His perceived position of power in this industry has allowed him to get away with it and the ass kissers have his back.

Most likely nothing's going to come of this but I've heard other details about what he's done over the past few days that I'm not going to share without consent by the people who witnessed it, and he is way out of line and the skaters of London do not let that shit slide.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »
i always get stuck defending these guys but we've all seen videos of phelps dropping 'niggas' but never as a 'racial slur'. phelps thinks he's down, whether he's delusional older white guy or he's got minority friends who cosign, he's using it in friendship.
there's a video of him talking rampside about how boston was the first time he was introduced to racism and he doesn't sound stoked on it.
the 10/10 thread was funny though so carry on.
[ps you're all banned from the bible. -- t-ed]

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
I use to not care about Phelps now i care even less.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
i always get stuck defending these guys but we've all seen videos of phelps dropping 'niggas' but never as a 'racial slur'. phelps thinks he's down, whether he's delusional older white guy or he's got minority friends who cosign, he's using it in friendship.
there's a video of him talking rampside about how boston was the first time he was introduced to racism and he doesn't sound stoked on it.

Take note that I have not called him a Nazi, and even stated I don't think he discriminates according to ethnicity. I also used "allegedly" when recounting what he's supposed to have said. I just think he needs to get checked if he thinks he can get away with that when he's a guest here.

calvinsdream

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »
Anyone else notice phelps using way more slang whenever he interviews black skaters? Shit was always pretty cringy

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 07:53:06 AM »
Expand Quote
I've heard other details about what he's done over the past few days that I'm not going to share without consent by the people who witnessed it, and he is way out of line and the skaters of London do not let that shit slide.
[close]

do you live in london?
Yeah, Stockwell was my local for years. The last thing you want to do there is get on the wrong side of those guys.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:32 AM »
as I've always said, fuck that guy

Yu Dum

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
Regardless of what constitutes being racist or prejudiced in your eyes, white people should never use any variant of “nigga.”
Even if you’ve been “co-signed”, you should know better than to even refer to anyone by the color of their skin.
Is it really that difficult for people to refer to one another as literally anything other than that term?
Not referring solely to you, Sharktits.
More of a rhetorical question to see the reasoning behind choosing to use clearly offensive wording.

Not Local

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've heard other details about what he's done over the past few days that I'm not going to share without consent by the people who witnessed it, and he is way out of line and the skaters of London do not let that shit slide.
[close]

do you live in london?
[close]
Yeah, Stockwell was my local for years. The last thing you want to do there is get on the wrong side of those guys.

Stockwell is one of my favorite parks on the planet. Largely due to the location, locals and history.

Love to hear the details on this one...

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
Dude is a kook. This should surprise no one

ungzilla

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
surprised it took this long for this cro-mag to spew some antediluvian garbage in the wrong place at the wrong time

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
i am going to make some popcorn

make sure it is white cheddar and drizzled with butter

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »
i am going to make some popcorn

Me too.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

John Florence

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
Apparently Jake is accused of spitting at a nine year old girl skating the bowl at HOV London as well as other skaters. The next day at southbank and Stockwell park he was heard throwing racial slurs and forced to leave by locals. Details are sketchy but he's also allegedly squared up to young black skaters after his slurs.

Sounds very sketchy, however Kingpin magazine has no credibilty these days, nobody goes on their website. I know what you're trying to do Kingpin mag. I wouldn't be surprised if other mags would follow this boycott call, they've been struggling in Europe since Thrasher took their viewers.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »
I back Phelps, I think he's retarted though. I'm a fan of low filter brains, your all fucked in the head, you just know how to hide it better.

I think thrasher, while not what it once was, still does a fair job of promoting all sides of skating.

I'm locked in on this one.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
Can't say I'm surprised but still disappointed.

This also makes me wonder: what's a post-Phelps Thrasher gonna be like/who would take the helm?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
Kingpin was where Kyle Beachy's article on 1010 and the "skate nazis" wound up when literally no one else would publish it, right? I think they have more credibility than you think. I doubt they are doing this to take down Thrasher the same way I doubt that Phelps is personally responsible for Thrasher's YouTube dominance.

Give Burnett the keys already. Get Phelps to a neurologist. CTE is a fucker of a thing to have.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

calvinsdream

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
"Hellride, bro! These civilians will never get it! We went to 67 parks in 5 hours! Sleeping in the flat bottom!"

Get wheelbite in the rain already. It's all you're owed.

godDAMN

casper

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
He’s like grandpa Simpson

ungzilla

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »

but replace yells with spits and cloud with small girl

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3317
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
All you S1W kuks taking offense ur bitchez I mean Jayke has bben this way 27 year why you so snofake pussy bitches if you tak offens at thi ur gaggot

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
"Like...BLACK HOLES? Right? Like, who would even want to do that? THHHHP!
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
of course thrasher never said anything about the 10/10 either.

more importantly has anyone reached raven and patlanta for comment yet?

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
Time for Thrasher to drop this loser. His drunken antics are getting to be a serious liability. When your mascot spits on a child, it's time to take action. Even if Kingpin magazine isn't accurate, Phelps is by far the worst thing about Thrasher.

Burnett has had editorial control of Thrasher for some time now, so the actual content of the mag and site won't change. I'm not saying Thrasher needs to shed it's "Skate and Destroy" image, it just needs to express that vision without some drunk 50 year old man shouting "Bobgnar" at every event.

C'mon, Tony. Step up and drop Phelps like he was bombing an SF hill.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.