Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 111541 times)

GOKU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2019, 05:10:17 AM »
Not painfully awkward but was in DTLA and bumped into Daniel castillo waiting for an elevator a couple weeks ago. Asked if it was him to verify, told him I liked his skating. He said thanks and avoided me like the plague in that 18 floor decent. Noticed how tiny of a human he really was.

Same day, later in the afternoon, I see manchild and Sam Smyth on the corner of the street as I’m getting on the freeway. Didn’t say anything but noticed they, too, were both freakishly small people.

What’s up with pros being the size of jockeys? Is that why sample size is 9?

It's so true, they are tiny. I tower over Rowley and Ethan Fowler and I'm not even a big guy at all

corndogs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2019, 05:52:43 AM »
I was skating at a team pain mini park in Colorado and Chet Childress rolled through by himself. Some kid asked him to play skate and completely smoked him. Then he just kinda vanished. Albeit he isn't known for kick flip sex changes, it funny to watch him try. I was bummed though, wanted to see him skate the mini pool wall it had.

Knightmare

• Rep: -6
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2019, 06:02:02 AM »
A few that come to mind...

Chad Muska & Tom Penny -  Outside the hotel in Melbourne, Globe World Cup was happening. I walk out the front of the hotel for a cigarette... i see Muska & Penny just sitting on this ledge talking. I rolled up and said hello shook their hands and just sat on the ledge next to them. I didn't say anything else.. just sat and listened.. Chad ended up tagging the wall next to the ledge with a bright blue marker that said "MU$KA"... Tom talked about how much he loved wu tang and said that the Grave Diggaz '6 feet deep' album was one of the best albums of all time...i just sat in awe. finished my cigarette walked back inside...

Jake Duncombe  - i was at a skate video premier everyone was very intoxicated as usual. We were all dancing after the video, night club dance floor, getting wild, then Jake grabbed me pulled me into his face and attempted to make out with me... i wasn't into it and kinda flicked him off to the side of me where he found another guy to make out with...so that was nice.

Bryan Herman - was on a tour with a broken leg he was not skating, asked us if we knew any bars close by... we took him to a bar had some food a few beers, rolled up some & smoked. Most genuine dude ever! Much respect, so humble, such a top bloke (nothing awkward happened)

Shane Cross - I was at a skate party at some bar Shane approached myself who was waiting in cue to pay for a beer he said "Hey man, how are you?,you want a beer?" i of course excepted! He threw 10 free tickets down, gave me 5 beers we toasted, cheers! Then set off back into the party. Legend on and off the skateboard !

Nick Trapasso - saw him in a bar i was quite wasted and asked if i could shoot a photo of him he was like yeah, whatever.. i took a picture with a point & shoot, he then came right up into my face grabbed my cheeks and squeezed the fuck out of them and said something along the lines of "I like your big cheeks" then i went to get another drink

Marc Johnson - i went to a spot and saw basically "Girl & Chocolate" at the time Marc was skating around most guys were sitting around, i asked him for a game of s.k.a.t.e he's was like "yeah, cool" just seconds after he was about to set a trick Ty Evans comes rolling over "Hey Marc we're outer here, let's go" Marc looks over "sorry dude gotta go.."

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Not painfully awkward but was in DTLA and bumped into Daniel castillo waiting for an elevator a couple weeks ago. Asked if it was him to verify, told him I liked his skating. He said thanks and avoided me like the plague in that 18 floor decent. Noticed how tiny of a human he really was.

Same day, later in the afternoon, I see manchild and Sam Smyth on the corner of the street as I’m getting on the freeway. Didn’t say anything but noticed they, too, were both freakishly small people.

[close]

I think skating is easier to shorter people, as your centre of gravity is lower. You can probably could all the active pro's over 6 feet on two hands. Same things goes for a lot of other action sports.

It's so true, they are tiny. I tower over Rowley and Ethan Fowler and I'm not even a big guy at all
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:15:19 AM by sometimeperhaps »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I think skating is easier to shorter people, as your centre of gravity is lower. You can probably could all the active pro's over 6 feet on two hands. Same things goes for a lot of other action sports.

[close]

This is why the manolo's tapes for Castillo is 4 hours long
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
I used to work at Macys and meet a couple pros there. Sold Felipe Gustavo some undies once. Julian Davidson and Nick Garcia came in to buy some Jean's once. Here's something that was interesting. I remember when I rung up Julian and he gave me his card it said Julian Garcia.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »
My mom paid Tony Tieu to give me skate lessons when I was like 8. He was dope and always hit on my babysitters.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
Went to El Sereno park in Los Angeles with some buddies and was teasing my friend on the way up about how he started wearing bandanas to keep the hair out of his face. I told him that Bandana B (Sinner) would be able to sense his bandana from miles away and would be at the park waiting for him.

We roll up to the park and we see Sinner trying to huck front heels down the set, missing and shouting/cursing angrily all while wearing a bandana. At that point me and my friends lost our shit because of the circumstance

Glurmpz

« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »

Marc Johnson - i went to a spot and saw basically "Girl & Chocolate" at the time Marc was skating around most guys were sitting around, i asked him for a game of s.k.a.t.e he's was like "yeah, cool" just seconds after he was about to set a trick Ty Evans comes rolling over "Hey Marc we're outer here, let's go" Marc looks over "sorry dude gotta go.."

Not to single you out, but since some other posters posted similar things, and this happens to me a lot...

Do people not realize that asking someone you don't know to play SKATE is an incredibly kooky thing to do? I get that, for some people, meeting a pro makes them nervous and they may end up saying or doing something stupid like that, but I swear the next time a random kid asks me to play SKATE at the park I'm going to grill him about his intentions. Is it a power trip because you need to feel better than someone? Is it social anxiety making you say something dumb instead of a simple 'Hi, I'm _____, nice to meet you"? Play SKATE with your close friends if they're not already having fun trying a trick (can't stand when my friends stop me from trying something to convince me to play SKATE with them. I'm not competitive at all and would prefer to never play it). Don't bother strangers.

Black Frycook

« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not to single you out, but since some other posters posted similar things, and this happens to me a lot...

Do people not realize that asking someone you don't know to play SKATE is an incredibly kooky thing to do? I get that, for some people, meeting a pro makes them nervous and they may end up saying or doing something stupid like that, but I swear the next time a random kid asks me to play SKATE at the park I'm going to grill him about his intentions. Is it a power trip because you need to feel better than someone? Is it social anxiety making you say something dumb instead of a simple 'Hi, I'm _____, nice to meet you"? Play SKATE with your close friends if they're not already having fun trying a trick (can't stand when my friends stop me from trying something to convince me to play SKATE with them. I'm not competitive at all and would prefer to never play it). Don't bother strangers.

Lol found the dude who sucks at flatground

doublesteveburger

« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
no he’s absolutely right and if you think otherwise we know who you are at every skatepark

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

On the other hand, is it kooky to jump in on someone else’s game of skate and start a 3 way? Sometimes I’ll watch my buddies play skate and wanna hop in cause I see one of them do something cool and get stoked. Obviously gotta do every trick that got thrown in a row but that’s the price to pay for intruding.

Antonio Durao skates my local park sometimes whenever he’s back on long island, used to for a while when he was flow for Girl. One time we were standing on top of a coinbank and I asked him how’s life going and he goes “pretty good man” immediately drops in, switch fs flips the euro and nollie heels the double set flawlessly. It was awesome.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:55:16 PM by Yonnycage »

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
i met Lewis Marnell once after a demo. there where a bunch of cup cakes on the table in front of us i made a shitty diabetes joke not knowing he was diabetic.he was cool about it and he ended up talking about living with diabetes on tour and stuff for a bit. after that we played a game of pool. it was a tight day.   

Glurmpz

« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

On the other hand, is it kooky to jump in on someone else’s game of skate and start a 3 way? Sometimes I’ll watch my buddies play skate and wanna hop in cause I see one of them do something cool and get stoked. Obviously gotta do every trick that got thrown in a row but that’s the price to pay for intruding.

I'm not the best person to answer this, since, as I mentioned, I prefer not to play SKATE at all, but - I'd say if it's more than 3 tricks in you should wait to play the next game. And again, only if it's your friends.

My secret SKATE weapon is that I somehow manage to land even the tricks I'm horrible at most times, but with heinous style that makes the other people laugh so hard they have trouble landing their next attempt. Only problem is I'm also laughing at how badly (not heel/toe drag bad, just fucking ugly as can be) I did the trick, so I have to compose myself by the time I'm up again.

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

who wouldnt wanna say they beat a pro in a game of skate?
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
I was at a former demo and Austyn Gillette was chilling right next to me before attempting a trick. To break the silence I literally asked him how he was finding the heat that day.
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
One time my brother and I walked into the bathroom at a bar and slash stared at my brothers dick for a few seconds then apologized.

The same night I was wearing a low card beanie and Collin provost starts screaming lowcard in my face and asked me what my name was. I told him and he was tripping out saying his brother had he same name. He started introducing my brother and I to his posse and you could tell they were all like “what the fuck who are these dudes??” And we took some shots of Jameson with him.

Another time some dude forced me into a game of skate with figgy. The whole game was awkward and he destroyed me. Then he asked to play another game no repeats and that one was fun.

Another time me and a homie went to cinco de slamo in sd and I walked out of a gas station and looked up and billy marks was just skating up to me GLARING the fuck out of me and didn’t look away. That dude is super weird.

ahah just picturing this happen seems hilarious. Billy Marks is an interesting dude.

Once saw Bryan Herman at an airport in LA just chillin with his board looking at magazines, one of my first times in the states so I was like in awe that one of the first people I see is Herm, fanboy'd out, made awkward eye contact and didn't approach him haha though looking back on it now I'm sure he woulda been super chill and humble to just say whats up to.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -42
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lol found the dude who sucks at flatground
no you found the dude that knows kook habits .

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
i met Lewis Marnell once after a demo. there where a bunch of cup cakes on the table in front of us i made a shitty diabetes joke not knowing he was diabetic.he was cool about it and he ended up talking about living with diabetes on tour and stuff for a bit. after that we played a game of pool. it was a tight day.   

I've been diabetic for the past 19 years and I always thought it would be cool to hear how other skaters deal with traveling with insulin. This applies to all illnesses that require medications as well. If you ever google it the recommended method is so fucking stupid, I'd like some practical advice.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 70
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
The Butcher came up behind my friend at Tampa Am and straight up sniffed him while he wasnt looking. Dudes a sniffer.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been diabetic for the past 19 years and I always thought it would be cool to hear how other skaters deal with traveling with insulin. This applies to all illnesses that require medications as well. If you ever google it the recommended method is so fucking stupid, I'd like some practical advice.

My girlfriend is diabetic and we just finished a 4 month long bike ride around the US, sleeping outside mostly every night. She used the frio insulin sleeves to keep her insulin cold and all you have to do is submerge the sleeves in cold water every couple of days.
If you need to re-up on insulin, you can have a parent pick up the insulin for you and then mail it to post offices via general delivery, the post office holds it for up to 30 days but it mostly just works in small towns.
She has a pump, you can PM me if you have any other questions  :)

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not the best person to answer this, since, as I mentioned, I prefer not to play SKATE at all, but - I'd say if it's more than 3 tricks in you should wait to play the next game. And again, only if it's your friends.

My secret SKATE weapon is that I somehow manage to land even the tricks I'm horrible at most times, but with heinous style that makes the other people laugh so hard they have trouble landing their next attempt. Only problem is I'm also laughing at how badly (not heel/toe drag bad, just fucking ugly as can be) I did the trick, so I have to compose myself by the time I'm up again.

I mean if I have to hit every flip and heel it’ll take me 5 minutes and I’ll miss 3 of them guaranteed and at that point I’m in the game. I don’t wanna keep my boys waiting haha.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »
I bet Ben Kadow in SoHo NY in 2016, he was with Chris Millic I think and both were really nice in person. I explained I was on holiday from England and asked for some local suggestions. Got a photo then left

I ran into Kadow when I went to New York a while back. This was before he was on Hockey and I was riding one of the first graphics that came out. He said “that’s a sick board” and we continued walking our ways. Nice dude as far as I know.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2019, 02:43:41 AM »
I was so stoked when I saw Grant Yansura at a random skatepark when I was living in Spain.
I spotted him and went to him awkwardly saying ‘dude sorry for bothering you, but I’m a fan’ and then ‘cosmic vomit!’. Shook his hand. He looked happy about it though, then left with the rest of the WKND team.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2019, 11:27:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not Jamie Thomas's biggest fan, but I remember watching him play skate with a bunch of kids at a demo one time. It stoked the kids out to be able to interact with him in that way because he had to pay attention to them for a second. He wrecked everyone (some of the kids could barely kickflip), but it didn't appear to be about winning or losing, but having JT, someone with an insane amount of status in the scene pay attention to the random locals or interact with them as a peer for a few moments. Who doesn't want their hero to pay attention to them for a second?

That being said, yea, there is nothing worse than the hometown hero who tries to show up the visiting pros.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1574
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2019, 12:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm not Jamie Thomas's biggest fan, but I remember watching him play skate with a bunch of kids at a demo one time. It stoked the kids out to be able to interact with him in that way because he had to pay attention to them for a second. He wrecked everyone (some of the kids could barely kickflip), but it didn't appear to be about winning or losing, but having JT, someone with an insane amount of status in the scene pay attention to the random locals or interact with them as a peer for a few moments. Who doesn't want their hero to pay attention to them for a second?

That being said, yea, there is nothing worse than the hometown hero who tries to show up the visiting pros.

I saw Haslam try that once in Rouen, France at the park on some Indy tour. That was around the time Almost and Haslam had a cult following so more and more kids just kept jumping in upon noticing that was happening, in the end it was like 25 kids versus Haslam so he just skated off.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

ballintoohard is this dude confirmed

[/quote]

This is my favorite skate clip of all time and I’ve been trying to find a gif of it forever. Thank you. I can die happy now.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dare i sound entitled but i think this sort of thing is part of the job of being a pro. Theyre public figures and all
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »
I was so stoked when I saw Grant Yansura at a random skatepark when I was living in Spain.
I spotted him and went to him awkwardly saying ‘dude sorry for bothering you, but I’m a fan’ and then ‘cosmic vomit!’. Shook his hand. He looked happy about it though, then left with the rest of the WKND team.
those WKND/RipnDip dudes use to party at a friends house 3 houses away, I'd be lurking around skating his miniramp and i had a DIY conrete ledge and quarterpipes at my house. Those dudes were alright the only person i didn't like was Ryan and he just seemed too cool to have fun skating a driveway with a spot. The rest of those guys were rad as shit love me some WKND.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

ThlapPalth

• Rep: -10
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
I met Heath at the 2007 Wild Ride Tour thinking that he'd be super antisocial or standoffish from all his short answers in interviews and lack of "thank yous" in This Is Skateboarding's credit section, but he was so much friendlier than I had expected him to be that I just didn't know how to act and made the entire experience of getting his autograph and picture super awkward.
Then while I was getting Jerry Hsu's autograph at the same demo, my friend wouldn't stop talking about how since Jerry and I both have brown skin and switch heeled the same set that he should get me hooked up with all his sponsors. I didn't even get to say anything to Jerry because dude wouldn't shut up the entire time.
And then after the demo Brandon Westgate accidentally kicked a soccer ball straight into my gut. Probably accidentally.
Sickest demo ever.