Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 111026 times)

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -137
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #360 on: July 06, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
met chris haslam, it was awkward but not bad. Similar to his approach to skating no?
big texas cummer

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #361 on: July 06, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »
Met some creature guy, was at mike fox skatepark in SC (hometown) and he was sitting on the copping of the big bowl tripping out or something. Was drinking some weird black sludge, never even skated. Just sat there for like an hour and left.

Style Pilot

« Reply #362 on: July 07, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:56:06 AM by Style Pilot »

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #363 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:26 AM »
Expand Quote
8ballr sighting a couple of months ago. San Diego. I pulled my car into the mini mart at the same time as him. I think he sees a local skate sticker on my car so he looks at me as I get out and walk in at the same time as him. He sees that I'm old but with skated shoes and seems to realize that I recognize him. I nodded without a word and he did the same. I know the coolest thing to do is not to say anything and he seemed stoked with that. 
He's in line in front of me now and ignores the female cashier the perfect amount. She's always surly but she was super sweet to 8. She watched his truck leave and then seemed almost too hypnotized to gimme a pack of smokes. Dude's got game.
[close]

There's a pro named 8ballr?  Are you talking about Ol Dirty Smolik?

Winkowski, IIRC.

Edit: I just understood why you thought it was Smolik. That’s super funny.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:50:52 AM by SHIREFLIP »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #364 on: July 07, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
My brother and his friend shot a blow dart into Cory Duffel’s ass and can be seen in the credits of Destroy Everything Now.

I was probably around eating something, don’t remember.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #365 on: July 08, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Seeing P-Rod in La Llorona.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Was visiting NYC/Williamsburg this weekend for a friends wedding, was leaving a hotel hungover as fuck with a couple of friends. Most who don't skate and just see this tall guy with long hair and a board. I'm just like "Figgy?" Turned out to be him. I just said hello and that I'm excited to see Baker 4 and went on my way. A bit surprised to see him there given he's a west coast guy but it appears he, Slash and Jon Dickson were there on some trip. I also thought I saw Max Palmer the day before but I couldn't tell for sure.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2019, 06:40:45 PM »
That other thread on the first page made me think about this one.

I met Matt Hensley at a Warped Tour stop Flogging Molly were playing when I was like 14. I got him to sign my Innes t-shirt. I felt super awkward because that's how I am. It was probably 1997 or 98 and he probably knew that I didn't really know how important he was to skateboarding. But, I'd seen some pictures and he taught me to no-comply 180 via a Transworld trick-tip. I'd figure it out later.

At an Osiris demo I heard a kid ask Jerry Hsu how to pronounce his last name. Jerry just said "Richards" and skated away. My brother and I still laugh about that one.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »

I met Matt Hensley at a Warped Tour stop Flogging Molly were playing when I was like 14. I got him to sign my Innes t-shirt. I felt super awkward because that's how I am. It was probably 1997 or 98 and he probably knew that I didn't really know how important he was to skateboarding. But, I'd seen some pictures and he taught me to no-comply 180 via a Transworld trick-tip. I'd figure it out later.

At an Osiris demo I heard a kid ask Jerry Hsu how to pronounce his last name. Jerry just said "Richards" and skated away. My brother and I still laugh about that one.

this is awesome

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
Matt Hensley use to have a flop/punk house in Tucson, AZ. I had met a bunch of skinhead buds and we ended up partying with a few members of Flogging Molly and it hit me a few hours later and I as like holy shit!!!!! Definitely one of my highlights.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
Witnessing the locals taunt Tj Rogers during his visit. He was good about it. Felt sort of bad for him, which surprised me - Red Bull is probably my top three pet peeves in skating. It was fucking hot that day.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:30 PM »
Witnessing the locals taunt Tj Rogers during his visit. He was good about it. Felt sort of bad for him, which surprised me - Red Bull is probably my top three pet peeves in skating. It was fucking hot that day.

How’d they taunt him?

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
How’d they taunt him?
They were asking if he had Red Bull tattoos, and making no attempt to hide their pleasure in watching him be saddened behind the shades - the heart ones.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is awesome

Yeah. It's one of my favorite skate moments and probably the instant made Jerry one of my all time favorite skaters, and all his skating, i guess.

turtleboy86

• Rep: -14
« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2019, 12:10:54 PM »
I was at an event in Hollywood Los Angeles, and I see a guy in a wheelchair smoking a cigarette.

He was white with a beard and a hat. I walk up to him and he kind of looks at me like he didn't want to talk to me.

My intentions for coming up to him were to just ask for a light for my cigarette. When I asked him he seemed kind of thrown off and it gave me the impression he thought I recognized him. His reaction caused me to scan my mind for a face match while lighting and by the time I handed him the lighter back I thought " oh, that's PETER SMOLIK" since he came off as though I was about to dick ride him prior to me asking him for a light I didn't acknowledge who he was and just walked away.

This is funny because peter Smolik was my favorite skater for a bit when fulfil the dream came out and his board with the graffiti graphic and pig cop was one of my first boards. But the version of Smolik I encountered was laughable and sad to see him with as much confidence in his celebrity to think his clout was that of a Nyjah Huston.

His facial expression was oh this guy going to give me props or dick ride but I just wanted a lighter and had no connection that he even skated.

Skimper

• Rep: -64
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2019, 05:59:48 AM »
Seen James Hardy randomly one morning at my local park in Texas. I didnt ask him anything or try say whats up, but my weird little friend went up to him and asked how he was doing.
Shalom

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2019, 07:10:54 AM »
I was at an event in Hollywood Los Angeles, and I see a guy in a wheelchair smoking a cigarette.

He was white with a beard and a hat. I walk up to him and he kind of looks at me like he didn't want to talk to me.

My intentions for coming up to him were to just ask for a light for my cigarette. When I asked him he seemed kind of thrown off and it gave me the impression he thought I recognized him. His reaction caused me to scan my mind for a face match while lighting and by the time I handed him the lighter back I thought " oh, that's PETER SMOLIK" since he came off as though I was about to dick ride him prior to me asking him for a light I didn't acknowledge who he was and just walked away.

This is funny because peter Smolik was my favorite skater for a bit when fulfil the dream came out and his board with the graffiti graphic and pig cop was one of my first boards. But the version of Smolik I encountered was laughable and sad to see him with as much confidence in his celebrity to think his clout was that of a Nyjah Huston.

His facial expression was oh this guy going to give me props or dick ride but I just wanted a lighter and had no connection that he even skated.

8)

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »
Met cardiel doing a dj set at vans and told him his sight unseen part was my favorite and a big inspiration. He was stoked but I felt like a kook.  That was the only time I’ve ever fanned out on anyone.

Same day I talked to ray barbee for 15-20 mins about guitar and tortoise.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
Wasn’t sure where to post this but I just got breakfast and my total was 10.10

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »
Wasn’t sure where to post this but I just got breakfast and my total was 10.10

Yesterday I saw a man slightly shorter than me walking down the street who was wearing a fedora on top of a beanie and for a brief moment I was startled

dmemz

• Rep: 26
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
Ran into Bobby Worrest at the Village Lantern in Grenwhich Village years ago. They had a comedy mic I would go to every Thursday to perform. I came up after my set and got a beer and Bobby walked in board in hand. I said what’s up and introduced myself, he was nice if not a little taken aback that he was recognized, not sure. He finished his drink and said he would be back later. It was awesome and surreal, definitely one of those ‘did that just happen’ moments.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
Was visiting NYC/Williamsburg this weekend for a friends wedding, was leaving a hotel hungover as fuck with a couple of friends. Most who don't skate and just see this tall guy with long hair and a board. I'm just like "Figgy?" Turned out to be him. I just said hello and that I'm excited to see Baker 4 and went on my way. A bit surprised to see him there given he's a west coast guy but it appears he, Slash and Jon Dickson were there on some trip. I also thought I saw Max Palmer the day before but I couldn't tell for sure.

Ive thought this too when I’ve seen them but Baker Boys pop up in NY sometimes. Ellington’s wife owns a skate shop in Williamsburg that obv stocks Baker/Deathwish heavily and does events.

KRKD1

« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
A decade ago at least, I was a young lad at the now extinct Krush Skatepark in Tinley Park Illinois and mistook Patrick Melcher for a pedophile. He was hanging outside by the door, smoking cigrets dressed as he does, mustache and everything. Giving off weird vibes to the uninformed. Then he went back to ripping inside and someone told me he was actually pro pro and real talented and probably not a pedo and it was all cool after that.

Ran into dixon at Asylum once, literally crossed paths with my head down and ran into him. had to bear hug his sweaty overalled having brickhouse self just so I wouldnt go flying. Like hitting an immovable object, think i had whiplash after that. That dude is no joke in person, sort of intimidating. But down to earth and farming folk are easy to get along with. Cool dude though.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
One of the skate kitchen kids tried to be real nice to me at Borough Hall once but I was not having it. My homie flaked and I was mucho hungover. they seemed cool though
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

silvertone_spacemachine

• Rep: 63
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »
Grew up in a small ass town in the Northern part of PA, all my brothers friends skated (6 years older) so they were probably 13-14 and I was probably 7-8 (94-95?) at the time, but I remember my mom taking them to go skate our downtown area with people named "Bam Margarin" and "Kerry Gets..." and some of the Sub Zero riders (I thought these were nicknames) . Being from PA, all my brothers friends repped Sub Zero hard and were fanning out but I had never heard of any of them up until that point, minus the dope Sub Zero stickers all over my town. I distinctly remember catching a glance at the person I'd come to "know" as Bam when my mom dropped them off at the spot. They weren't friends with Bam, Kerry or any of the Sub guys, just heard they were in town and wanted to go skate with them I guess? Heard they were all mad nice and one of my brothers friends even got flowed for Sub (I believe? It's been a minute) after that

Met Simon Woodstock at a park demo, he was wearing some sort of skinsuit and a board modified with a milk crate cut in half on top? It was right around the time "One Louder" came out and I loved his antics and humor. He signed my board (a newish Invisible team board, was too poor to buy another so I skated it after) and he was actually really pleasent.

A snowboard shop that sold some skate shit in the Poconos (a popular east coast tourist destination known for it's skiing/snowboarding) was having a demo/jam. One of the parts of the event was best 30 second "run" on a trampoline while having a snowboard bound to your feet - an event which I proudly WON I might add - and used my gift card winnings to buy snowboard wax thinking it would work on curbs, but I sort of recall it not for whatever reason?) ANYWAY, I remember getting dapped up by some people at the demo for being a young kid making a fool out of himself on a snowboard trampoline contest, one of which turned out to be Ricky Oyola
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:51:10 AM by silvertone_spacemachine »

yourlocalsk8bum

• Rep: -40
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2019, 11:33:29 AM »
Met Kevin Romar at a Hopsin show a friend of mine was opening at. Super relaxed dude, asked about manuals, He laughed and said "fuck em", asked me if I wanted a photo .. raged with him on the homies set too!! Incredibly fun experience.

The shop I work for has a resident pro, Jamie Tancowny. The homie is too chill, glad to see Edmonton(Red Water) skater holding it down.. Plus he just got engaged!!

Met Will Blatly? Batly? The welcome homie. He was tearing up Plaza in Van, super chill. Definitely blew the opportunity to go filming street with him.. meh life goes on

NineTimes Calgary's Kevin Lowry! Lowkey had a moment of being star struck, he definitely saw it coming from a mile away.. Dealt with it surprisingly well, hooked me up with a sick photobook. Skate Euroasia! 10/10 read!

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
at a premiere in 2017, awkward for me watching, while i was at a urinal i saw a bunch of guys pop into the toilet to powder their nose, an ex shortys rider (not muska nor smolik) tried to get in as well, but the door closed on him, and he just stood there flipping off the door, before muttering 'aight, aight' and walking away

doublesteveburger

« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
Brandon Turner showed me up at a skatepark in San Diego after he’d been watching me try a trick a couple times so I so badly want it to be him that you’re talking about

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -625
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
volcom was touring through Asia (i lived there for almost 10 years working in aerospace). this was back when Provost had long hair...like 2010 or so.

I can speak korean well and i knew alot of the areas like the back of my hand so it was helpful to have a local foreigner around, especially since i didnt want free shit or to get sponsored.  i saw brandon westage sitting down at a spot, made sense, he was on volcom, said hey brandon...only it wasn't brandon.  it was grant taylor and he was really bummed hahaha.

he wasn't a jerk about it and he hadn't yet come into full bloom, so it wasn't like i confused a SOTY or anything.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:51:32 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
NineTimes Calgary's Kevin Lowry! Lowkey had a moment of being star struck, he definitely saw it coming from a mile away.. Dealt with it surprisingly well, hooked me up with a sick photobook. Skate Euroasia! 10/10 read! 

He's solid for sure. We talked about my board collection through Insta. Hooked my friend up with a Vision Gonz board as well. Would be cool to see him skate in person one day.