Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 110995 times)

captaindoody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -73
  • A turd for you
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #540 on: August 18, 2020, 06:58:49 AM »
i saw Tiago as i left the Encore premiere in LA with my friends and my drunk ass shouted something along the lines of "yo you're the best yo!". he was a lot shorter than i had imagined. makes his skating that much more impressive considering how large some of the obstacles he skates are.

I always pictured he'd be around BA or Evan Smith's size but was closer to paul or trent mcclung

ballintoohard

« Reply #541 on: August 18, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
Saw Kenny Anderson and a few dudes in the Lima airport. Said I had his Planet Earth board and he said "oh damn" and turned around to keep walking and come nowhere near me

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #542 on: August 18, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
Should have gone with ‘Abuse me like one of your Instagram girls.’

Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: August 18, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
The night before first demo I ever helped out at I go a small peak behind the scenes of skateboarding.

I was hanging out in the hotel room, one of the ams hoped in the shower, got out, and then started to complain about how wasn't able to cum while jacking off in the shower. He seemed pretty worried that he had a medical issue. At 19, I was not able to answer medical questions on this level and had no idea what to tell this am who I had never heard of before this night.

Prior to this, Randy Colvin got super fucked up super quick and didn't really care who saw him pissing all over the place. I've bumped into him a couple times since then and it always weird to look a man in the eye after you've seen his dick. The last time was at the airport in PHX or San Diego when he was with his wife or gf.

And, outside of the above awkward aspects of this night before, Ben Schroeder was part of the demo as well. He stayed up all night getting fucked up out of his mind and couldn't even stand on his board the day of the demo. It was a huge bummer. A few weeks later he was sleeping on a friend of friend's sofa and pissed himself (I think this happened more than once, but I can't remember)... everyone was pretty happy when he finally decided to stop staying in their apartment.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #544 on: August 18, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
The night before first demo I ever helped out at I go a small peak behind the scenes of skateboarding.

I was hanging out in the hotel room, one of the ams hoped in the shower, got out, and then started to complain about how wasn't able to cum while jacking off in the shower. He seemed pretty worried that he had a medical issue. At 19, I was not able to answer medical questions on this level and had no idea what to tell this am who I had never heard of before this night.

Prior to this, Randy Colvin got super fucked up super quick and didn't really care who saw him pissing all over the place. I've bumped into him a couple times since then and it always weird to look a man in the eye after you've seen his dick. The last time was at the airport in PHX or San Diego when he was with his wife or gf.

And, outside of the above awkward aspects of this night before, Ben Schroeder was part of the demo as well. He stayed up all night getting fucked up out of his mind and couldn't even stand on his board the day of the demo. It was a huge bummer. A few weeks later he was sleeping on a friend of friend's sofa and pissed himself (I think this happened more than once, but I can't remember)... everyone was pretty happy when he finally decided to stop staying in their apartment.

Nice, I lived in phx for a summer. I got to skate with Livingston, staab and Colby Carter at this indoor park in Mesa.   Staab was drinking heavy at the time. I remember being on the deck of a ramp and smelling whiskey sweating out of him.  It was 9am, he still ripped.   Colby was the coolest, silent slayer.  Livingston could disaster ever air, like head high shit. 

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #545 on: August 18, 2020, 05:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice, I lived in phx for a summer. I got to skate with Livingston, staab and Colby Carter at this indoor park in Mesa.   Staab was drinking heavy at the time. I remember being on the deck of a ramp and smelling whiskey sweating out of him.  It was 9am, he still ripped.   Colby was the coolest, silent slayer.  Livingston could disaster ever air, like head high shit.

Livingston is still out here killing it behind the shadows. Shredding backyard pools.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #546 on: August 18, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
one time when our park was new janoski and biebel came down. i didn't say anything to them but my idiot friend went over to janoski and said "hey i got one of your boards and it broke" like i think he was trying to fish for a free deck but came off like a dick instead.

i was wearing a gg allin hated shirt and janoski gave me an odd look, then he did some crooked wizardry on the rail. biebel was wearing this big ass all white sweater and i noticed some snake had spit a nasty red tinted lugie on his back but he did this awesome kickflip down a 6 and then kickflipped up the small four block. janoski switch flipped the double set and landed like 10 feet out, it was epic.

then some dude sold them norco
even the steven

Brguy

« Reply #547 on: August 18, 2020, 09:41:16 PM »
one time when our park was new janoski and biebel came down. i didn't say anything to them but my idiot friend went over to janoski and said "hey i got one of your boards and it broke" like i think he was trying to fish for a free deck but came off like a dick instead.

i was wearing a gg allin hated shirt and janoski gave me an odd look, then he did some crooked wizardry on the rail. biebel was wearing this big ass all white sweater and i noticed some snake had spit a nasty red tinted lugie on his back but he did this awesome kickflip down a 6 and then kickflipped up the small four block. janoski switch flipped the double set and landed like 10 feet out, it was epic.

then some dude sold them norco
You can say its a four stair, no one will make fun of you.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #548 on: August 19, 2020, 12:16:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Livingston is still out here killing it behind the shadows. Shredding backyard pools.
Nice, I still get out that way once a year.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #549 on: August 19, 2020, 02:01:02 AM »
Met the girl team at a signing in like 2003, met BA, he was chill, we took a pic and rapped out as much as a grown man and 13 year old fan can. My friend asked him to play skate, you could tell he was reluctant, and it was over 100 degrees. My friend then made a mission to destroy BA in skate with the craziest tricks. Not chill.
Same signing I’m standing in line getting my poster signed and I come to McCrank, he signs it and when he’s done I just look at his signature amazed like, “wow” and look up, we meet eyes, he gives me a puzzled look and kind of shakes his head like “what?!” And he throws a sticker at me, as if I was expecting more than a signature. I look at him again and he kind of shoos me away with his hand, but it was so crowded so I just kind of stood there waiting to move, feeling awkward, and feeling like mccrank hated me..

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #550 on: August 19, 2020, 03:03:12 AM »
Cant remember if I already posted this drunk in this thread, its a long ass thread! Was in Hollywood with the gf checking out sights with homie from downtown acting as tour guide. We did the sights for the girl (blvrd, hills) and chowed down at Mels  for a feed. While there we saw in the carpark Paul McCartney giving his kid a driving lesson in a Range Rover. Old mate tour guide was juiced sayin 'fuck there u go! did I deliver or what!' Im like yeh whatever. GF was pretty psyched. Homie gets the shits and asks me what the fuck it would take to impress me. I say 'meeting the muska?'. Bummed response was had. Next stop Hollywood high, get there and was a little bit of commotion, some kids standing at top of the 16 flexing like they were going to throw down, no real action. I look up road and see some hippy lookin mofo with a big ass beard on a old school pushbike cruising by. He pulls in, makes a joke about hitting the rail on his bike and I click that its the fucking muska! My gf tells me to go say hello and im like 'fuck that kooky shit!' so she walks over to him (shes been forced to sit through all his parts before so practically knows the dude) and says 'my boyfriend is a huge fan but hes too scared to say hello to you, can we get a pic together' he laughs and pic is taken, he pulls the trademark muska hand gesture and tour guide homie is like 'ok now you better fucking tell me i delivered!'

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #551 on: August 19, 2020, 04:52:49 AM »
Cant remember if I already posted this drunk in this thread, its a long ass thread! Was in Hollywood with the gf checking out sights with homie from downtown acting as tour guide. We did the sights for the girl (blvrd, hills) and chowed down at Mels  for a feed. While there we saw in the carpark Paul McCartney giving his kid a driving lesson in a Range Rover. Old mate tour guide was juiced sayin 'fuck there u go! did I deliver or what!' Im like yeh whatever. GF was pretty psyched. Homie gets the shits and asks me what the fuck it would take to impress me. I say 'meeting the muska?'. Bummed response was had. Next stop Hollywood high, get there and was a little bit of commotion, some kids standing at top of the 16 flexing like they were going to throw down, no real action. I look up road and see some hippy lookin mofo with a big ass beard on a old school pushbike cruising by. He pulls in, makes a joke about hitting the rail on his bike and I click that its the fucking muska! My gf tells me to go say hello and im like 'fuck that kooky shit!' so she walks over to him (shes been forced to sit through all his parts before so practically knows the dude) and says 'my boyfriend is a huge fan but hes too scared to say hello to you, can we get a pic together' he laughs and pic is taken, he pulls the trademark muska hand gesture and tour guide homie is like 'ok now you better fucking tell me i delivered!'

Amazing ha

Gotta see this photo
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Phobos

• Rep: -8
« Reply #552 on: August 19, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »
This happened in September 2017 and i had been off skating for 5-6 months because of a bad ankle injury that wouldn’t heal. Was going thru a pretty rough patch and eventually sold my electric guitar that i had invested alot of money on for the 1/3 of its value to get myself fixed.
Didn’t really know/cared but it was around the time of the Dime glory challenge and it was my 2nd day back on board and i’m skating this park on my own. When i came in, i saw a bunch of “gangster” looking dudes chilling at a corner of the park which i really didn’t pay attention to because i was just stoked to have an empty park to myself.
Start warming myself up: do 2 footplant to tail on the QP, go for a bs bigspin disaster and got it 2nd try and hear clappings coming from the dudes chilling and i just ignored it.

Then i’m on the pyramid about to go down to do a judo plant to tail and hear someone roll up and get off board behind me. I turn around and it’s Jimmy Cao.
I’m like “holy fuck, is this Jimmy Cao?!”. He goes “yeah!” Then i immediately tell him that 30 minutes prior to coming to the park i had just looked up his name on YT expecting to see new footage. Then he cuts me off and says jokingly “and you expected to see me here?”.
I answered back that i didn’t even know he was here and that i just fucking loved his style and his video parts. He thanked me and i told him it was my 2nd day back on board since a bad injury and that i had to sell my guitar in order to get myself fixed. Then he kinda reacted as if he was hurt to hear what i just said and i just said “it’s all good man, shit happens”.
So i ask him if he was here to film for a new Skatemafia video or something and he tells me that he came with the Skatemafia dudes for the Dime glory challenge. So i’m like “no way! I totally forgot about that, wait... is Wes Kremer also there?”
He goes “yeah man! Wes, Jamie, Tyler, all the dudes are there man come chill with us!”
So i go “nah man, i know you guys travel all over the world and have a shit ton of kids annoy you all the time and last thing i want is to bug you guys(i was 26 btw)”.
So he goes back to the crew, they start shredding the park and at some point Wes comes up to me and strikes a conversation with me but i was so dumbfounded that i couldn’t manage to chat with him so it was kinda awkward. Told him i had just gotten back to skating, he told me “get some!” And went back to skating.

A little later Tyler Surrey had been working for a Nollie bs blunt to fakie on the Prefontaine bank right next to the park. At some point i just stood up with a block of parafine and asked if he needed some wax. He just glared at me seemingly pissed and said “yeah...”.
Waxed the bank, threw back to block at me and landed his trick 1st or 2nd try after that. I fucking yelled when he landed it and he came up to me all smiling and shit and fist bumped me.

Later i was chilling on some bleachers talking to some kids and one of the kid told me “hey your friend is gesturing towards you”.
It was Tyler, he had put his board on the bench and gave me a “peace” sign and took off.

Kids told me that i should take the board and i said that i had just bought a new one and i’d rather let someone who needs one take it.

In hindsight, i kinda regret not having taken the board but whatever.

Got 2 more short stories but don’t feel like posting them right now.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #553 on: August 19, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
I ran into Mark Suciu and forgot that I wasn’t 14 for a second. I just greeted him and complimented him and complimented him on his verso part but obviously seemed a little too excited to meet the guy and had to approach him from the side in front of his friends
?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #554 on: August 20, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
This is the best thread.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #555 on: August 20, 2020, 09:45:58 PM »
This is the best thread.

Yeah dude, spit on biebels jumper lmao
listen to cosmic psychos

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #556 on: August 21, 2020, 05:50:25 AM »

You sound like a bitch getting your broad to talk to muska for you. Also muska is more impressive to you than Paul mc cartney? Jesus Christ.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #557 on: August 21, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
My only time in New York was 2015, I was in the airport heading home, my first flight was to Montreal around the time of the Dime Glory Challenge and Dick Rizzo and Jared Sherburt? (guy who takes photos for supreme) were waiting to get on my flight. Rizzo was really new to me but he had a couple quasi boards and huf shoes on so I sat there and googled him to confirm it was him. I was walking over to talk to him as he got in an argument with someone at the gate and stormed off, I guess something was up with his ticket. I saw Jared board the flight but no Rizzo and never got a chance to say I liked his style.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #558 on: August 21, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »
Oh God I've met a couple people in the skate scene,  Lance Mountain is by far the coolest person ever was at one of the first KOTR in Carbondale CO he offered me a soda and a spot near the bowl to watch; fuck anyone who says differently.

So I'm riding with my friend's on public transportation Frank Gerwer and I shared a bus seat on my way up from Portland to Olympia he saw a group of us crusties on the back of the bus and my dog was smitten with him and I was fanning out about 6the & Newell.

He at first didn't know how to take our group, sketched out and shit but by the end of the trip I threw him an invite to a punk house that was having a huge party, if he came I didn't know as I was shitfaced.

Spent quite a bit of time with Angel Ramirez and his crew David Reyes along with Ernie Torres.  They've been known to have weird group orgies and that to me is really really really awkward.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #559 on: August 21, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
Oh God I've met a couple people in the skate scene,  Lance Mountain is by far the coolest person ever was at one of the first KOTR in Carbondale CO he offered me a soda and a spot near the bowl to watch; fuck anyone who says differently.

So I'm riding with my friend's on public transportation Frank Gerwer and I shared a bus seat on my way up from Portland to Olympia he saw a group of us crusties on the back of the bus and my dog was smitten with him and I was fanning out about 6the & Newell.

He at first didn't know how to take our group, sketched out and shit but by the end of the trip I threw him an invite to a punk house that was having a huge party, if he came I didn't know as I was shitfaced.

Spent quite a bit of time with Angel Ramirez and his crew David Reyes along with Ernie Torres.  They've been known to have weird group orgies and that to me is really really really awkward.

I like the idea of Ernie dressed as the SOTY trophy at the orgy.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #560 on: August 21, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I prefer my orgies to be solitary.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #561 on: August 21, 2020, 03:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer my orgies to be solitary.
Orgy of one?

Obscura

• Rep: 12
« Reply #562 on: August 21, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
I think this story fits the thread:

The Toy Machine team came through my town in NH and skated at the indoor skateshop/park I worked at when I was just out of highschool. I think it was summer of 1996? I remember Ed, Mike Maldonado, Elissa, and Satva were there. I was vegan and pseudo-political at the time, and was really stoked to meet Ed Templeton. I tried like 3 different times to get a conversation going with him, but he didn't seem too into it. I did a stupid little punk/activism zine (of course), and really wanted to interview him for it, but was feeling super weird and uncomfortable approaching him because he seemed sort of annoyed by literally everyone at the demo. After the team was done skating, I sat outside on the sidewalk while they signed autographs and packed up, and I was dying inside about whether I should bother him again. Right before they all hopped in the van, I decided to just go for it and ask him for an interview, because pros coming through New England was super rare, and I'd never get this chance again. He ended up being cool about it, gave me a little stilted interview about the 'He-Man Ed Haters Club' and other random shit, and even drew me an original Turtle Boy panel comic for the zine. He wasn't very warm or "nice" to me, but it was cool of him to take the time and I'm glad that I still have the shitty zine with his original artwork 24 years later.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #563 on: August 21, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »
Me and a couple of friends teamed up with Forrest Edwards and Blake Carpenter and skated around Barcelona a whole evening looking for some bar Forrest wanted to go to(Manolo's) a few years back. Blake seemed like a really humble and down to earth guy, and Forrest was way cooler than I expected. Forrest was really drunk and almost got into trouble with some cops at MACBA later that night, but we got him away before he got arrested.

This was the first year Street League was hosted in BCN, and on the same trip my friend got us in to the SLS afterparty with all the pros. Got to hang out with Shane O'Neill, Luan, Wes, Ishod and a bunch of other guys. Everyone was really friendly and nice to hang out with, and it ended up being one of the sickest nights in my life.
I remember some guy tried to buy Luan a drink at the after party, and Luan got really offended by it.
Oh and yeah, Dyrdek's douchebag cousin Big Cat(which I think was an SLS judge back then?) gave me the finger for no apparent reason at the afterparty.
Still have tons of videos and photos of drunk Forrest roaming the streets of BCN. Good times.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #564 on: August 22, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
So I worked on a commercial that cast Stella Reynolds as talent.

Her dad was just chillin in the holding tank all day, being a set dad while Stella worked. I chatted with him a little, but it was awkward just cause he seems kinda like an awkward guy in general and it was in a completely out of skateboarding context.

When he left, a dude popped his head out of another shoot and goes "was that Andrew Reynolds?" Sure enough, it was.

loose_trucks

• Rep: 3
« Reply #565 on: August 24, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
I saw Arto Saari and some Volcom dudes at a local restaurant once across from my school and I pretty much just ran over to him and said "You're Arto Saari" and that was basically it. Still embarrassed about that one to this day.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #566 on: August 24, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »

missed opportunity to lend a hand right there

loose_trucks

• Rep: 3
« Reply #567 on: August 24, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »
Also I was once in New York, walking down some street, and heard someone talking to a person in the street. I looked to where the voice was coming from and it was Atiba Jefferson walking out of somebody's place onto the sidewalk literally as I passed him and had no idea what to do so I just kept going.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #568 on: August 24, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
I think this story fits the thread:

The Toy Machine team came through my town in NH and skated at the indoor skateshop/park I worked at when I was just out of highschool. I think it was summer of 1996? I remember Ed, Mike Maldonado, Elissa, and Satva were there. I was vegan and pseudo-political at the time, and was really stoked to meet Ed Templeton. I tried like 3 different times to get a conversation going with him, but he didn't seem too into it. I did a stupid little punk/activism zine (of course), and really wanted to interview him for it, but was feeling super weird and uncomfortable approaching him because he seemed sort of annoyed by literally everyone at the demo. After the team was done skating, I sat outside on the sidewalk while they signed autographs and packed up, and I was dying inside about whether I should bother him again. Right before they all hopped in the van, I decided to just go for it and ask him for an interview, because pros coming through New England was super rare, and I'd never get this chance again. He ended up being cool about it, gave me a little stilted interview about the 'He-Man Ed Haters Club' and other random shit, and even drew me an original Turtle Boy panel comic for the zine. He wasn't very warm or "nice" to me, but it was cool of him to take the time and I'm glad that I still have the shitty zine with his original artwork 24 years later.

This is a rad one. Also out of curiosity, was it pioneers or Rye?

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
I have a super awkward one. I know a few pros from living in sf in the 90’s. I went to a SF Giants game with Welsh and we ran into BA. Rob introduces me and BA was double fisting large beers and reached one toward me and said “what’s up dude” I was like “wow thanks man” and tried to grab the beer, I got a hold of the beer but he didn’t let go. He said “I’m not giving you the beer I’m just doing a fist bump”. I should have known better, beers are like 15 bucks apiece. Pretty embarrassing. Sorry if I already posted this story.