Author Topic: new greco film..... [coming soon]  (Read 27886 times)

shripshrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
Re: new greco film..... [coming soon]
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Your comparing his behaviour to yours like its relevant or important. Nobody fucking cares.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
boring cunt

I'd LOVE to hear your examples of skaters who aren't playing dress up
[close]

[close]
[close]

How soon we forget... ^ ;D
[close]

You still couldn't give any examples.. Because even "blending in" is a thought out costume, it's just the one everyone else is wearing.
[close]

I gave a very clear description of the clothing styles I don't find disagreeable. I'm not going to do the work for you and make a list of skaters I like - figure that out yourself.

If you honestly don't understand the difference between a costume and normal clothes, I can't help you. You're deep though, bro... so deep.
[close]

The question wasn't about who's "agreeable" (or who you like), it was about who's wearing a costume. You're argument is shaky, and you know you can't defend it if you bring it to specific examples.
[close]

Or, you might have poor reading comprehension. I was asked for examples of who WASN'T playing dress up. Instead of bothering to make a list, I made it very clear by stating what sort of fashion I thought was cheesy. Process of elimination, duh.

But, for starters, how about the whole Sour team? Wes? Walker Ryan? Daewon? Cairo? Alexis Ramirez? Jesus? Danny Brady? Enrique? McCrank? O'Neil? Tiago is playing 90's dress up, so there's one guy I like who makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but obviously the list goes on and on. I actually think it's funny I had to name names to get through to you guys. Holy fucking dense.

The whole position you're trying to defend is stupid.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

but your version of normal clothes would be a costume if i wore it. 'normal is completely subjective. to Corey Duffel a few years ago normal was  a Pepe Le Pew hairdo and a topshop leather jacket. this years Greco's normal is stolen wardrobe from a mobster movie. why do you care so much about other peoples clothes?
[close]

You could argue that normal is subjective, to a degree, but I'm more inclined to call blue jeans and a basic tee normal over purposely torn women's jeans, 17 different accessories, a skin tight freddy krueger shirt, and a fedora. That, to me, seems a bit more like flair... like very much trying NOT to be normal.

As for your question about why I care about people's clothes...   It's a message board for discussing skateboarding, and my comment was regarding why I don't particularly like this skateboarding. I found it very cheesy, and part of that was the clothing. Skateboarding is a visual thing, and we all decide what visuals appeal to us. A LOT of skaters seem to love fashion and following trends or dressing kind of wild to 'be different'... which is fine. But I don't have to like it... and I don't.

I guess the bigger question is - why does it bother YOU so much that I don't care for Greco's style? Man crush maybe?
[close]
People like to put effort into their dress because it's fun and makes life more interesting. You sound like you're very much on the spectrum though with you clearly being threatened by people with personality (something people with autism find challenging) and your "movies aren't my thing" comment (wtf) .

Hahahahahahaha! That is hilarious! Man, SLAP brings out the most random characters. Nice try, SLAP MD.

Where is this idea that I feel "threatened" coming from? Lol. I'm talking about what skaters/videos I like/dislike, and the reasons why. I personally think people who dress kind of wild are just funny, and often attention starved/narcissistic. There's plenty of personality studies that would reinforce that assertion.

As for my movies comment, yeah, I'm not a big film buff. Especially not 'art' films. I prefer documentaries or movies based on real events, not some film made so the director/star can jack off to himself for the rest of his life.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
Budgie, do you think that your distain for movies stems from the actors basically playing one big game of dress up? “Hey actors, be yourselves, ya botherin me.”

Sorry I kid, I know this is an especially tough month for you with Halloween right around the corner.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:25:34 PM by Googan Christmas »

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Your comparing his behaviour to yours like its relevant or important. Nobody fucking cares.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
boring cunt

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

You still couldn't give any examples.. Because even "blending in" is a thought out costume, it's just the one everyone else is wearing.
[close]

I gave a very clear description of the clothing styles I don't find disagreeable. I'm not going to do the work for you and make a list of skaters I like - figure that out yourself.

If you honestly don't understand the difference between a costume and normal clothes, I can't help you. You're deep though, bro... so deep.
[close]

The question wasn't about who's "agreeable" (or who you like), it was about who's wearing a costume. You're argument is shaky, and you know you can't defend it if you bring it to specific examples.
[close]

Or, you might have poor reading comprehension. I was asked for examples of who WASN'T playing dress up. Instead of bothering to make a list, I made it very clear by stating what sort of fashion I thought was cheesy. Process of elimination, duh.

But, for starters, how about the whole Sour team? Wes? Walker Ryan? Daewon? Cairo? Alexis Ramirez? Jesus? Danny Brady? Enrique? McCrank? O'Neil? Tiago is playing 90's dress up, so there's one guy I like who makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but obviously the list goes on and on. I actually think it's funny I had to name names to get through to you guys. Holy fucking dense.
[close]

And what position is that, exactly? Why don't you try to sum up what you think I'm saying so we can clear up if you actually understood my comments or not?

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »
Bucky, do you think that your distain for movies stems from the actors basically playing one big game of dress up? “Hey actors, be yourselves, ya botherin me.”

Sorry I kid, I know this is an eapecally tough month for you with Halloween right around the corner.

Funny enough, I prefer movies without recognizable actors, so you may be onto something...  ;)

And also, coincidentally, yes, I fucking hate Halloween. Debbie downer over here. 

shripshrapper

« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
boring cunt

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

And what position is that, exactly? Why don't you try to sum up what you think I'm saying so we can clear up if you actually understood my comments or not?

Nah, you're crazy.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »

Nah, you're crazy.

No worries, I guess that just means you think all the skaters I listed are "stupid". That clears that up.

shripshrapper

« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Nah, you're crazy.
[close]

No worries, I guess that just means you think all the skaters I listed are "stupid". That clears that up.

Yup, they're all stupid: whole Sour team? Wes? Walker Ryan? Daewon? Cairo? Alexis Ramirez? Jesus? Danny Brady? Enrique? McCrank? O'Neil? Tiago.. Yup. Super stupid people.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
One thing I've learned in life is that people often find honesty offensive, and would much rather just hear their own opinions echoed back to them. Using reason and well thought out arguments doesn't work with internet trolls, or people who would rather trade insults than consider a relevant rebuttal or counterpoint. We're also in the age of the term "hater" which has be co-opted to mean anyone who has a different opinion than your own. It's much easier to call someone crazy or insult them for having a different view, than to actually listen to them and respond intelligently.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
fuckk off cunt

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
fuckk off cunt

An E or an A in place of the U would have worked better than the two K's, for the full phonetic effect. Insult fail.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
I'm not understanding the "art" comments. This seems like a fairly straightforward documentary (at least in the sense that a skate video is a documentary, even if it is mostly a montage of tricks to music). Filming someone slam in the worst way possible and driving himself to a hospital doesn't preclude it from being an historical record. I am sure both Greco and the filmer knew it would make good footage, but it was still a real slam and probably a real hospital visit.

It may be a coincidence, but I'm seeing a lot of Lance Mountain BB Video Show influences here. If you've never seen the first Powell video (i.e., the first skate video ever), Lance "narrates" the film by skating throughout L.A. and running into different people or having flashbacks (cuts to different skaters' parts) after looking at Hawk's board in a shop or thumbing through a Thrasher left on the ground. Similarly Greco has his first flashback after being supposedly anesthetized, cutting to the Penny part, after crossing the viaduct near where Lance also skates. I can't help but also think that Greco skating his loft is an homage to Lance/O/Blender's Ban This house skating montage (and even more similar to his The Firm Can't Stop skit). Like BBVS, Greco also favors the urban areas of Downtown and Westlake, especially the CCW Courthouse with the quick-bust big spined quarterpipe.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
The only two things I got out of this film is that Greco and Penny are still great at skating and LA is a shithole.  I never “get” these weird hipster art films, but I enjoyed it and Greco’s skating is always a treat to watch.
[close]
i got it. it was greco's paen to pink floyd's the wall. greco plays 'pink' an artist who has had too much applause, too much drugs and too many slams. he becomes detached from reality and asks 'kay ko should i build the wall?'
next stage of greco will be leader of a fascist state, racist skaters w/ hammers on their neck battering the poor, the weak, the mongo.
at the end greco will have to express genuine feeling and stop hiding behind art.

Very underrated comment. Props
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
  • breathcakes
« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2018, 06:58:13 AM »
I'm not understanding the "art" comments.

What I believe people mean by this is that it's influenced by European art house cinema, in its style. People have cited Cassavetes, take a look at his work. There's no dialogue, slow pace, slice-of-life stuff that's not gonna fly in American movies today.

In regards to other people not "getting it", I'm not sure you even have to. Honestly, one of my favourite things about arthouse films are that I almost never get it, but I absolutely love the tone and atmosphere where the characters, scenes, plot, etc. feel more like textures than things to grasp on to. I'm way more into visuals than narrative, so it makes sense to me, even though it doesn't.

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
Similarly Greco has his first flashback after being supposedly anesthetized, cutting to the Penny part
Can't believe it didn't occur to me before now but that must be a tribute to Sorry, right?

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm not understanding the "art" comments.
[close]

What I believe people mean by this is that it's influenced by European art house cinema, in its style. People have cited Cassavetes, take a look at his work. There's no dialogue, slow pace, slice-of-life stuff that's not gonna fly in American movies today.

In regards to other people not "getting it", I'm not sure you even have to. Honestly, one of my favourite things about arthouse films are that I almost never get it, but I absolutely love the tone and atmosphere where the characters, scenes, plot, etc. feel more like textures than things to grasp on to. I'm way more into visuals than narrative, so it makes sense to me, even though it doesn't.

This is so nicely put and I feel the same way about cinema. They get a lot more interesting when you don't have to think about the plot and can focus on other things and how they are presented such as mood, sound, colors etc.

Anyways theatre has like 6 different types so how many times can you make the same movie??

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Similarly Greco has his first flashback after being supposedly anesthetized, cutting to the Penny part
[close]
Can't believe it didn't occur to me before now but that must be a tribute to Sorry, right?

It absolutely is. It's just not as obvious since he doesn't use the "dreamy" filter.

Censored

• Rep: 5
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
It was enjoyable but goddam the comments in this thread make me cringe

Pigeon

« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
I fell asleep, trying to watch this. The only parts I really remember were: when he slammed his knee skating over a car or some shit, and him with some woman on a couch.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »
Since a couple of people asked earlier in the thread, the gold shoes are a colorway. New Thrasher has an ad showing them as well as a black and brown colorway.

I didn't feel this one as much as I did his previous movies but I'm glad to have this thread since there were at least two references to older videos that I fully missed. Also, I like that Jim uses Italian film music in at least one sequence in all his movies. Those are usually my favorite non-skating parts.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
Finally got around to watching this tonight. Made the effort to watch it on my tv instead of my phone which was a good move. Sound and filmstock are really nice.

Skating was great. I especially like the Penny footage.

Got to give it to Greco, although he at points comes across a bit strong, he's always done his own thing. I'm glad that he's found this medium to showcase his skating.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
Why do people on Slap pay so much attention to grammar and highbrow words
It's actually so sad looking at some of the posts here

The cries to appear intelligent, the lust for moral high ground

Gimme a break

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »

Gimme a break

Dude, learn how to use punctuation at the end of your sentences.

Fuck I'm so hard now.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Gimme a break
[close]

Fuck I'm so hard now.
I reached erection dictating your counterpoint also.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Gimme a break
[close]

Fuck I'm so hard now.
[close]
I reached erection dictating your counterpoint also.

Besides this very thread, what would moral high ground porn look like?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
Childbirth footage

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #236 on: October 03, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »
Strong independent career oriented abortion footage

shripshrapper

« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
Female-on-male rape.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
All the above,but with 80's business professional attire. Chicks in blazers, and a bunch of Gordon Gecko's getting dominated.

Narrated in great detail by Robin Leach.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »
All the above,but with 80's business professional attire. Chicks in blazers, and a bunch of Gordon Gecko's getting dominated.

Narrated in great detail by Robin Leach.

You're hired!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.