Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144738 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »
I'm interested in how the control decks look because the ones I've seen are always mellow and really flat kicks.

I tried to snap a few pics for you before I put grip on but my phone camera is pretty shit and they didnt turn out great

I don't want to clutter up the thread and kill peoples data plans with a bunch of pics so here's a link to the gallery with a few more.

If you want me to take any other ones I will but the board is gripped now so its not as easy to see. I did give it a quick test drive with 144's (decks 8.38 and I have 149s on the way for it) and it handled really, really well. It feels lighter than a Pennswood and I love the concave. Update: Control wood blows, sogged out after literally one session and I gave it away.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:01:29 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

hip bruise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
Was psyched to finally grab the numbers tony d pro board...sogged out in just over two weeks, broke at the tail a couple days later and I break boards once every two years maybe.

Guessing all PS aren’t as bad as that, but funny to see the recent posts.

Back to South Central & BBS.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote

TLDR: Do BBS make a shape similar to the 8.5", 32.25", 14.25" wb with super square kicks that I've come to love from ps stix?
[close]

The Harper habitat Icon series i believe is all bbs and the 8.5 is those dimentions, cant speak to the kick but the 8.3 ive had in recent times were fairly mellow

https://www.habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/harper-icon-series-8-5
Yo thanks for the heads up. My latest ps stix def sogged out fast so going to grab this on Monday.
I grabbed a Heroin 8.5 last week on sale but the wb and tail were too long and I couldn't hack it, the wood was awesome tho so looking forward to this.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
Does anyone know more about dog town skateboards, the shop, quality, resin, etc.
thank you

PMA

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Just got my first PS Stix board in over 10 years after riding nothing but Generator and Chapman. I got a GX1000 board.

Within the first 10 minutes of riding it I have determined that this might be the worst board I've ever skated in 20 years.

First, the tail is way the fuck too square'd. You can feel the board heavily scraping the ground every time you try a flip trick, and flip tricks feel really sloppy and slow. The squared nose doesn't bother me, but that tail is useless. It didn't look that bad at the shop, but once I got home and gripped it I had an "oh shit" moment.

Second and worst of all, this is the shittiest wood I've ever skated. The board feels like it was pressed with old rotting wood.. no stiffness whatsoever. You feel the tail flexing when ollieing. It feels dead; no pop at all and you can feel that thing flexing just pushing around, it is just so soft. Zero torsional stiffness at all. My 1-year old Hotel Blue (Chapman) that was beaten to hell and somehow never snapped feels much stiffer.

I've got about an hour on this board and I'm getting a Real this afternoon. How PS has that big of a following is beyond me.
[close]

I think I had similar thoughts when I got my first one about 6 months ago. The square shape certainly took me a session or two to figure out, but once I got my stuff dialed back in I love it! Maybe what you received was a one off issue, every Quasi board I have ridden is very snappy pop, I will also say they sog out after about 2-3 weeks. Maybe GX is using different glues or veneers.

had a similar experience with that JJ quasi saves board, but the Bledsoe shape is perfect iMO.

Also noe that the Al Davis boards arent on that super stiff wood the shapes feel a lot better. Didnt someone also say that the pros ask PS for a not so stiff board? Forget what topic that was in

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #335 on: July 21, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
Curious, who's pressing Sour boards for North America? The list only mentions Jart, which I don't think I've ever seen over here.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #336 on: July 21, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »
Curious, who's pressing Sour boards for North America? The list only mentions Jart, which I don't think I've ever seen over here.
Hopefully somebody else, HLC boards in my experience gets soggy and soft after 2 weeks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: July 21, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hopefully somebody else, HLC boards in my experience gets soggy and soft after 2 weeks.

Definitely heard nothing but bad things in every woodshop thread. That said, I gotta assume someone else presses them in NA. They're in tons of shops here in Canada (none in my local or I'd just go look myself), and I've never seen (or even heard of) the other Jart/HLC brands in shops here.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #338 on: July 22, 2019, 06:16:28 AM »
Pretty sure they are generator in NA....

ballintoohard

« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
I really liked one of my Polar 8.5's- it had a 14.3 wheelbase and very mellow concave. I want it in 8.25 as I don't like their 8.38 shape, but I can't seem to find something that is as mellow and doesn't have an even more massive nose. Any leads?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Definitely heard nothing but bad things in every woodshop thread. That said, I gotta assume someone else presses them in NA. They're in tons of shops here in Canada (none in my local or I'd just go look myself), and I've never seen (or even heard of) the other Jart/HLC brands in shops here.
all the sour boards at my shop are hlc, they say made in europe.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #341 on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
I really liked one of my Polar 8.5's- it had a 14.3 wheelbase and very mellow concave. I want it in 8.25 as I don't like their 8.38 shape, but I can't seem to find something that is as mellow and doesn't have an even more massive nose. Any leads?

Polar 8.5” has a 14.5” wheelbase. Or has it changed? 😮

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar 8.5” has a 14.5” wheelbase. Or has it changed? 😮
14.5 wb sir
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ballintoohard

« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
Literally have a Hjalte 8.5 right here (dragon on it) that is 14.38.  Had a few team decks including this one: https://www.amazon.com/POLARSKATECO-Polar-Where-Here-Skateboard/dp/B07K8S6876 that I just measured as 14.38. Unless WB is not measured from center to center of the bolt holes.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Literally have a Hjalte 8.5 right here (dragon on it) that is 14.38.  Had a few team decks including this one: https://www.amazon.com/POLARSKATECO-Polar-Where-Here-Skateboard/dp/B07K8S6876 that I just measured as 14.38. Unless WB is not measured from center to center of the bolt holes.

Well shit. You seem to be right. Just measured my Polar 8.5” that I have waiting and it’s 14.375” and not 14.5” despite what it says on Polar’s website and on the board. Bummer.  :(

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »

Thanks man! Have any first hand experience riding them?

Also, your shop in Calgary, Ninetimes or Source or...?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

source

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
Does anyone know the wheel base on the G027 shape on chocolate?
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »

14.00"

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been riding a National Skateboard Co. board that is apparently HLC, according to the first post in this thread anyway. I bought it because it was on sale for cheap and would probably get another one. I'm in Australia though.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #350 on: July 24, 2019, 02:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated a Sour board from HLC time ago. It was nice but heavy and it felt "fat". Like the layers were bigger than usual. It felt like cheap stuff.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #351 on: July 24, 2019, 02:17:49 AM »

What was the concave on your logo deck like? My old scumco got stolen and I just got a new logo deck yesterday that's from control (or at least I assume that's where it's from, it has a Made in Canada sticker) and the concave is pretty mellow. I'd say it's mellower than any of the Pennswood decks I've seen, and it seems thinner/lighter too but Pennswood decks are pretty sturdy so that's not really a surprise. I'm still waiting for the trucks and grip I ordered so I haven't skated it yet but I'm excited to see how it handles.

My friend who doesn't even skate bought a Troika pennswood deck that's marked "8.38 steep" so I'm going to set them up at the same time so I can compare them.

Control was mellow compared to the Penswood.

I skated a Sour board from HLC time ago. It was nice but heavy and it felt "fat". Like the layers were bigger than usual. It felt like cheap stuff.

Second that for all HLC crap.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #352 on: July 24, 2019, 06:12:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

14.00"
thats relatively short, right?

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #353 on: July 24, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.00"
[close]

imo very short
14"-15" is usual, everything outside would tip towards "extremes"

PMA

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #354 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.00"
[close]
[close]

imo very short
I notice how short of feels when I try to Ollie, it feels like I have to put a lot more effort in because it’s so short. I skated an AH SE and that felt longer than this one. Gave my AH away.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.00"
[close]
[close]

imo very short
[close]
I notice how short of feels when I try to Ollie, it feels like I have to put a lot more effort in because it’s so short. I skated an AH SE and that felt longer than this one. Gave my AH away.

Huh. I actually feel like it's helped my ollies/flips since you don't have to slide your foot "that" much farther, although I could see the argument that the longer wb would help gain more friction foot slide hence higher ollies...

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #356 on: July 25, 2019, 07:26:01 PM »
Does anyone know more about dog town skateboards, the shop, quality, resin, etc.
thank you

Is it a faux pas to quote yourself?

PMA

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
I doubt he’d get back to you but
@heavymetalchuck   On Instagram works for dogtown now I think

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2019, 05:43:16 AM »
He didn’t.
 But I got a 8.75 loose trucks on sale, i’ll set up over the weekend and see for myself.

PMA

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #359 on: July 26, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »
Anyone know which woodshed does Tired?