Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144768 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
Unity needs to be added underneath BBS

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #481 on: October 06, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
who makes Sour in the USA? or are they imported? any good?
[close]

I thought generator but I think they are euro....jart?

Jart is HLC. Most people seem to hate on their boards alot, but the last two boards i've ridden are from the National Skateboard Co. out of England of which are apparently pressed at HLC. That might have changed but they were nicer than my current Passport board which is Generator.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #482 on: October 07, 2019, 05:40:48 AM »
Couldn't agree more on current HLC wood quality.
Local shop makes their boards there and they are really great.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #483 on: October 07, 2019, 06:40:45 AM »
Couldn't agree more on current HLC wood quality.
Local shop makes their boards there and they are really great.
HLC improved a lot since they changed their glue and process. They also moved last year and the new manufacture is super modern. I've been riding almost exclusively HLC wood for the last 3 years (besides some Hopps and Isle here and there) and I feel a really big improvement. I'm currently riding an Habitat made in Europe and the shape is amazing, and the pop is super durable.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #484 on: October 08, 2019, 05:05:15 AM »
Last HLC boards I tried, I believe it was 2 years ago, felt nice but only for 2 weeks; after that it was wet cardboard.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
Nice CSI work, the Watson website is dated 2006 and talked about Fibrelam boards, the ones with wavey texture on the underside of the board.

Ya unfortunately most woodshops don't have a lot of information on their actual sites. You kind of have to just follow them on social media and/or email board companies and ask them where they get their wood. I find most smaller companies will usually answer you but some will ignore you or give you a bullshit answer like "we use a top industry wood shop with 100% hard Rock Canadian maple wood, buy our board and see the quality!" The companies that are transparent and open with me go on my "to buy" list.

If you do the social media stalking thing it's important to note the date of the post. Companies change wood all the time (as evidenced by this thread) and a lot of companies use multiple shops.

If you're interested in trying Watson I think a good place to start is H-street, they have a lot of different sizes and styles to choose from.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
who makes Sour in the USA? or are they imported? any good?
I just got one, sticker said "made in europe."

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #487 on: October 08, 2019, 06:53:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice CSI work, the Watson website is dated 2006 and talked about Fibrelam boards, the ones with wavey texture on the underside of the board.
[close]

Ya unfortunately most woodshops don't have a lot of information on their actual sites. You kind of have to just follow them on social media and/or email board companies and ask them where they get their wood. I find most smaller companies will usually answer you but some will ignore you or give you a bullshit answer like "we use a top industry wood shop with 100% hard Rock Canadian maple wood, buy our board and see the quality!" The companies that are transparent and open with me go on my "to buy" list.

If you do the social media stalking thing it's important to note the date of the post. Companies change wood all the time (as evidenced by this thread) and a lot of companies use multiple shops.

If you're interested in trying Watson I think a good place to start is H-street, they have a lot of different sizes and styles to choose from.

I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I really liked that era of Status pro and team boards. My shop used to price them right between a blank and a graphic board, shape, weight and kicks were perfect. It was also a time when I was picking up a lot of new tricks on a regular basis.

The boards of today are probably a lot better than those from 15 years ago. Having information overload about wheelbases, truck heights, kicks, steepness and concave is a curse. Didn't think the difference (in say truck height) was so drastic until I rode my old board with Venture lows (currently riding 149s). Night and day difference. I guess the same would apply for boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #488 on: October 08, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I really liked that era of Status pro and team boards. My shop used to price them right between a blank and a graphic board, shape, weight and kicks were perfect. It was also a time when I was picking up a lot of new tricks on a regular basis.

The boards of today are probably a lot better than those from 15 years ago. Having information overload about wheelbases, truck heights, kicks, steepness and concave is a curse. Didn't think the difference (in say truck height) was so drastic until I rode my old board with Venture lows (currently riding 149s). Night and day difference. I guess the same would apply for boards.

I have more information now. I do not have a plan to apply this information. I haven’t hd a set up where stuff felt right for awhile. I know what the constant is in the sea of variables.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #489 on: October 08, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have more information now. I do not have a plan to apply this information. I haven’t hd a set up where stuff felt right for awhile. I know what the constant is in the sea of variables.

It's easy to get caught up in the minutia of your setup, especially as you get older and you get less time on your board than before. You want your setup to be perfect so you get the most out of your session, but for sure it's a rabbit hole that you don't want to get lost in. Regular folk like us probably wont feel the difference as drastically as the pros whose job it is to ride and skate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: October 09, 2019, 04:29:43 AM »
Anyone know what Business & Company is using? I think I remember hearing BBS but can anyone confirm or correct that?

Same question for Beer City, what woodshop do they use? Most of their stuff is outside my comfort zone in terms of size/shape but I really dig some of the graphics.

Also in the unlikely event that anyone was wondering, Weird Wood skateboards is using South Central now.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #491 on: October 09, 2019, 07:43:34 AM »

TL:DR; My previous report of Terror of Planet X being on Quincy now was incorrect. They're using Generator. Also the new ScumCo logo decks are Pennswood (and the fade/gradient logo ones are gorgeous) but the Pro models are still Control.

Pennswood: Troika, Play!, DNA, and they did the Trident deck for Street Plant

South Central: Super 8 (except for the Tie stick which is Pennswood)

Updated the list. Thanks for the info.

usedtostillskate

• Rep: -1
« Reply #492 on: October 09, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »
Anyone know what Business & Company is using? I think I remember hearing BBS but can anyone confirm or correct that?

Same question for Beer City, what woodshop do they use? Most of their stuff is outside my comfort zone in terms of size/shape but I really dig some of the graphics.

Also in the unlikely event that anyone was wondering, Weird Wood skateboards is using South Central now.
I'm not sure which shop Beer City uses but it's somewhere in USA. I can vouch for their quality since I'm a heavy guy and have landed hard on the tail a bunch without it breaking. Oddly the staining has rubbed off the bottom a lot but it's been crispy and tough. I'd recommend them if you can get them.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: October 09, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
I'm not sure which shop Beer City uses but it's somewhere in USA. I can vouch for their quality since I'm a heavy guy and have landed hard on the tail a bunch without it breaking. Oddly the staining has rubbed off the bottom a lot but it's been crispy and tough. I'd recommend them if you can get them.

Thanks for the info. They're definitely on my list to try but I might shoot them an email and see if they'll tell me what shop it is anyways.

If anyone is looking for a slightly cheaper Pennswood deck the dude at the Corner Store in Tennessee just got some really awesome shop decks in. They're 32.25" 14.25" wheelbase, silver spoon (medium) concave and they have a slight taper so like my 8.38 tapers to 8.25 around the trucks - its similar to the older Dave Abair ScumCo decks. I'm in love with mine right now.

https://thecornerstoreskateshop.bigcartel.com/product/corner-store-smoke-em-shop-board

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #494 on: October 10, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote

TL:DR; My previous report of Terror of Planet X being on Quincy now was incorrect. They're using Generator. Also the new ScumCo logo decks are Pennswood (and the fade/gradient logo ones are gorgeous) but the Pro models are still Control.

Pennswood: Troika, Play!, DNA, and they did the Trident deck for Street Plant

South Central: Super 8 (except for the Tie stick which is Pennswood)
[close]

Updated the list. Thanks for the info.

Hey I was actually also wrong about Troika, it was only their first run of boards that went through Pennswood so you can remove them from the list. I'm having to correct myself a lot lately, I should probably stop acting like such a know-it-all about this shit when I'm really as clueless as everyone else haha.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: October 15, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
Alright so Lurkville is not on Quincy anymore. They said some are bbs/Gen but they're also using Syndrome's woodshop (I don't know if that's a particular shop or they do it inhouse).

Quincy is in the process of moving their setup to a new location so they aren't making any boards at the moment. They said they should be up and running early next year.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
chris joslin just posted a pic on IG of a plan b board and said it was from dwindle

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
chris joslin just posted a pic on IG of a plan b board and said it was from dwindle

Cool stain though

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When I first started skating in late '99 I was in 5th grade my cousin who was in high school had a couple buddies next door that skated and one of them was fucking with Status heavy at that point. So same thing with the nostalgia maybe but looking back on it that company just really fit the era and had this cool kinda of underground feel to it which skateboarding had in general.So it felt like the "cool kids" brand of the time. Good times.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »

As much as this doesn't matter, I think it shows how PS has been having some problems ie. they can't keep up...there's now few brands that always use them...,

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #500 on: October 20, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

When I first started skating in late '99 I was in 5th grade my cousin who was in high school had a couple buddies next door that skated and one of them was fucking with Status heavy at that point. So same thing with the nostalgia maybe but looking back on it that company just really fit the era and had this cool kinda of underground feel to it which skateboarding had in general.So it felt like the "cool kids" brand of the time. Good times.

The guys I used to skate with loved them, we only had asphalt and rough concrete ground to skate so our nose and tails would get worn down really fast. Status boards were being priced right between blank and graphic boards, around $35 each with grip tape so they were a real value buy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #501 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As much as this doesn't matter, I think it shows how PS has been having some problems ie. they can't keep up...there's now few brands that always use them...,

The only brands I see with any frequency that still use PS is WKND, Quasi, and Welcome. If Quasi started using BBS I would not be mad.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: October 20, 2019, 11:11:18 PM »
Toy Machine too (pro models only), I think WKND uses generator too sometimes....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #503 on: October 20, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
Toy Machine too (pro models only), I think WKND uses generator too sometimes....

No shit? Good to know. Not many BBS offerings with big square noses. I'll keep an eye out.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No shit? Good to know. Not many BBS offerings with big square noses. I'll keep an eye out.

Is alien bbs? They have some large noses.
I think some of the fa/hockey is bbs, but I’m not sure which. I got the Sage board, nose almost comically large, but works well.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #505 on: October 21, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think some of the fa/hockey is bbs, but I’m not sure which. I got the Sage board, nose almost comically large, but works well.

Alien is BBS, big nose and tail. Currently running the Freddy reissue in 8.5 (32.38 overall, 14.125 WB).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: October 21, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Alien is BBS, big nose and tail. Currently running the Freddy reissue in 8.5 (32.38 overall, 14.125 WB).

I’m a little worried about the length, I’m way shorter than you, but the shapes/concave/their thing has me stoked right now. That’s my favorite wheelbase. It’s such high maintenance, finicky number, but.... I didn’t see that wb being used on any of their smaller shapes. The boards definitely stood out in person.
You like it?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: October 21, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
I'm off the giant noses now but it seems as if even when FA/Hockey/Alien use BBS, they keep the same shapes at least...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #508 on: October 21, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m a little worried about the length, I’m way shorter than you, but the shapes/concave/their thing has me stoked right now. That’s my favorite wheelbase. It’s such high maintenance, finicky number, but.... I didn’t see that wb being used on any of their smaller shapes. The boards definitely stood out in person.
You like it?

Yeah, it's long, lots of flat. The kick of those nose and tail don't seems as drastically different at the FA boards I've seen in the wild. Also seems like a lot of their smaller/shorter boards run a longer WB, so I don't know. I've skated 3 of them in the past year, running venture 5.8, Indy 149, and now Ace 44s (best combo so far by any measure). I wish the nose wasn't so blunt but that is mostly an aesthetic preference.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #509 on: October 21, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
is it common for brands to always use the same shape? even for different pro models?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.