Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144751 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #510 on: October 21, 2019, 06:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote
chris joslin just posted a pic on IG of a plan b board and said it was from dwindle
[close]

Cool stain though

Damn, guess losing Chris and Leticia hurt their bank account badly.

Also Alien Workshop, Habitat, Toy Machine (pro models), and Foundation (pro models) are all PS

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #511 on: October 21, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
I'm off the giant noses now but it seems as if even when FA/Hockey/Alien use BBS, they keep the same shapes at least...

Indeed. I usually try and find the Hockey 8.38's that are BBS, it's never consistent though between drops. Last Alien I had (Yaje I think), was very much a pointier nose and tail, sort of like a standard DLX shape, but that was a few years back.

Also Alien Workshop, Habitat, Toy Machine (pro models), and Foundation (pro models) are all PS

Pretty sure Alien has used BBS consistently since their relaunch, haven't seen an Alien PS board since GT was on the team, but if you have other info, do share. Habitat uses both, usually for different series (their NASA series used PS and had probably the biggest squarest noses I've seen).

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #512 on: October 21, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
Alien is all BBS for sure.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #513 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm off the giant noses now but it seems as if even when FA/Hockey/Alien use BBS, they keep the same shapes at least...
[close]

Indeed. I usually try and find the Hockey 8.38's that are BBS, it's never consistent though between drops. Last Alien I had (Yaje I think), was very much a pointier nose and tail, sort of like a standard DLX shape, but that was a few years back.

Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure Alien has used BBS consistently since their relaunch, haven't seen an Alien PS board since GT was on the team, but if you have other info, do share. Habitat uses both, usually for different series (their NASA series used PS and had probably the biggest squarest noses I've seen).

I actually might just be assuming since Habitat and AWS are under the same distributor. Next time my shop gets AWS decks I'll check.

CaptainCheeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #514 on: October 21, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »
I can attest to the width of the NASA habitats them shits felt like they tapered wider from tail to nose

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #515 on: October 21, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
How's the quality of DSM these days? I heard crailtap got their shit together at least. I used to love DSM shapes but the boards chipped like crazy. I wonder if the shipping process of moving the wood from NA to China and back to NA or wherever affects the quality significantly. I doubt there's good humidity control shipping overseas so maybe Girl and DSM boards skate better in China since they're "fresher?" Or I'm just totally off.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #516 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:55 PM »
I've seen some palace boards do weird things, like almost shatter.....I skated one and I just don't like the lay up, the kicks.  Not as good as a generator/BBS board, didn't stay as snappy but not a bad board.  Lots of people skate NHS without complaints...

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #517 on: October 22, 2019, 01:20:11 AM »
I've seen some palace boards do weird things, like almost shatter.....I skated one and I just don't like the lay up, the kicks.  Not as good as a generator/BBS board, didn't stay as snappy but not a bad board.  Lots of people skate NHS without complaints...

Yeah BBS has been my go to. I'm just biased because I grew up skating DSM boards so I like the shape, but I wouldn't be surprised of a decrease in quality. I doubt I'm gonna buy one anytime soon but interesting to hear about.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #518 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
Yeah, what is cool,is the DSM and girl have different dimensions and wheelbases that are hard to find with generator/BBS stuff...it's a bit of a trade off..

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #519 on: October 22, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah BBS has been my go to. I'm just biased because I grew up skating DSM boards so I like the shape, but I wouldn't be surprised of a decrease in quality. I doubt I'm gonna buy one anytime soon but interesting to hear about.

dsm/dwindle branded decks with resin are different in quality to palace oem decks built at dsm.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #520 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dsm/dwindle branded decks with resin are different in quality to palace oem decks built at dsm.

I’ve heard the palace boards are really bad, but never had one. And skate rumors are real silly.

Girl has always had great shape/dimensions. My latest girl board is for sure not the best board I’ve ever had, but it’s really really solid.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #521 on: October 22, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah, I didn't know that. I'd assumed they were all resin.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #522 on: October 22, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »

I'm in the same boat. Kinda over the blunty noses and shapes.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #523 on: October 22, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
I'm off the giant noses now
Yep. I'd probably buy only real twin tails if the wheelbases were just a little shorter

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2019, 11:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good info....I guess palace makes up for it by using lots of foil...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #525 on: October 28, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
Anyone know what wood shop the awaysted decks are using?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #526 on: October 28, 2019, 07:35:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can’t speak for palace but Evisen is DSM and I did not like it as much the last enjoi deck I had. The enjoi was a R7. Cant really put my finger on why.

And and somebody mentioned habitat was PS sticks but my embossed team logo board was BBS

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #527 on: October 28, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
Habitat mixes, the habitat I last had was a ps Stix bit it wasn’t laser etched it was printed

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #528 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »
Habitat mixes, the habitat I last had was a ps Stix bit it wasn’t laser etched it was printed

Current habitat I have is BBS.
Specifically made sure it didn’t have a stamp

If it helps my habitat is from the Harper series

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #529 on: October 29, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Can’t speak for palace but Evisen is DSM and I did not like it as much the last enjoi deck I had. The enjoi was a R7. Cant really put my finger on why.

And and somebody mentioned habitat was PS sticks but my embossed team logo board was BBS

Last Habitat I had was BBS, excellent board, never snapped on me. It only cracked on the bottom ply after doing a bunch of front lips more than a month into skating, held it's shape really well too.

As for the DSM R7 stuff. I'm bummed R7 isn't standard, I've seen shop decks in various East Asian countries use R7:

I mostly want DSM to be better/more consistent since I grew up skating their shapes so I'm heavily biased towards them.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #530 on: October 29, 2019, 07:11:49 PM »
Decided to venture off from BBS wood and set up a Crailtap deck (Chocolate) 2 weeks ago. Shit is pressure cracking like a mofo behind both trucks, and everytime I landed bolts today I could hear wood crackiling so now I'm paranoid that the next time I land bolts this deck is dead. I was actually digging the wood too..oh well, back to BBS.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Last Habitat I had was BBS, excellent board, never snapped on me. It only cracked on the bottom ply after doing a bunch of front lips more than a month into skating, held it's shape really well too.

As for the DSM R7 stuff. I'm bummed R7 isn't standard, I've seen shop decks in various East Asian countries use R7:

I mostly want DSM to be better/more consistent since I grew up skating their shapes so I'm heavily biased towards them.
what brand is that deck you posted?

hnnng

« Reply #532 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:02 PM »
I can attest to the width of the NASA habitats them shits felt like they tapered wider from tail to nose

forgive my ignorance... but when did this "tapering" become a thing?

i like a lot of the WKND/Quasi PS shapes for eg...
but for the life of me cant figure out why they're a 1/4" thinner at the tail...

can anyone shed some light on this?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #533 on: October 29, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Harper series I think is always exclusively BBS, collaboration boards I’ve always seen are PS

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: October 29, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but for the life of me cant figure out why they're a 1/4" thinner at the tail...

It accentuates unnecessary large noses.....

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2019, 08:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Harper series I think is always exclusively BBS, collaboration boards I’ve always seen are PS
This is good to know, I’m actually loving mine, a little bit of a bigger nose than I’ve been running lately but it’s actually been great. I think I’ve Zeroed in on my next few decks

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
what brand is that deck you posted?

It's a shop board from Timber skate shop in Seoul

Dayto

« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
Toy machine Europe pro decks are made in china? Toy Machine*(NA: price-point, EU: Pro Boards etc.)

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #538 on: October 30, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
Decided to venture off from BBS wood and set up a Crailtap deck (Chocolate) 2 weeks ago. Shit is pressure cracking like a mofo behind both trucks, and everytime I landed bolts today I could hear wood crackiling so now I'm paranoid that the next time I land bolts this deck is dead. I was actually digging the wood too..oh well, back to BBS.

Damn, I was curious if they'd improved much but that's a bummer

hnnng

« Reply #539 on: October 30, 2019, 05:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It accentuates unnecessary large noses.....

left myself open for that with my vague ass wording...

i was more asking if there are any "performance" benefits in regards to this shape.
do they skate/feel any different to a shape that is actually the same width across the whole length?

these PS shapes begin to taper near the middle of the board, its not just the tail that is significantly thinner.