Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 143922 times)

switchbs180

Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 16, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
Anyone know who does Alien Workshop Decks in Europe? Think I read something about HLC for the pricepoints, are the pro-models better quality?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #661 on: December 16, 2019, 03:15:31 AM »
Anyone know who does Alien Workshop Decks in Europe? Think I read something about HLC for the pricepoints, are the pro-models better quality?

I don't know who does them but if it is HLC then I'd definitely give them a shot. I've heard they used to have a reputation for for crappy wood but I got my first Jart/HLC deck a few months ago (sour black Jesus 8.5) and was pretty happy with the quality. Mine is really solid and stiff, has good pop, and seems pretty much impervious to damage. Only negative is that it's heavy, but it's manageable and with the right pair of trucks I won't even notice it until I get a shinner or drop it on my foot.

Turtle Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #662 on: December 16, 2019, 04:02:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know who does them but if it is HLC then I'd definitely give them a shot. I've heard they used to have a reputation for for crappy wood but I got my first Jart/HLC deck a few months ago (sour black Jesus 8.5) and was pretty happy with the quality. Mine is really solid and stiff, has good pop, and seems pretty much impervious to damage. Only negative is that it's heavy, but it's manageable and with the right pair of trucks I won't even notice it until I get a shinner or drop it on my foot.
I know for sure Habitat Europe was/is made by HLC, but I don't think Alien is made by HLC

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #663 on: December 16, 2019, 04:03:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also backing HLC, had a couple nationals and they were great as are Jart's old stuff.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #664 on: December 16, 2019, 04:26:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also backing HLC, had a couple nationals and they were great as are Jart's old stuff.

Rode a Jart board when I restarted skateboarding this year. Steep concaves but too many fingers of flat for me which made the nose and tail feel very short. This was on a 7.75  x 31.2 x 14.2; coupled with Venture 5.0 Lows and I suffered from lots of ghost pop.

This board is at least 5 years old, hopefully the shapes and dimensions have gotten more aligned with current needs.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Threat
« Reply #665 on: December 16, 2019, 04:38:09 AM »
I had a Sour board and I loved to but yes, is in the heavy side but nothing unmanageable.
Regarding Jart I have mixed feelings. I really liked but I felt that it lasted 2 good weeks and after that wood felt soggy and weak.
2 weeks awesome, 1 week like "ugh, but I can do this" and in the fourth is was a big no no.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Threat
« Reply #666 on: December 17, 2019, 02:23:17 AM »
I had a Sour board and I loved to but yes, is in the heavy side but nothing unmanageable.
Regarding Jart I have mixed feelings. I really liked but I felt that it lasted 2 good weeks and after that wood felt soggy and weak.
2 weeks awesome, 1 week like "ugh, but I can do this" and in the fourth is was a big no no.

Same as it ever was.

Regarding Alien workshop in Europe, some are Bareback but some older ones made in China. I would just contact the shop and ask.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #667 on: December 18, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
Just saw scumco got a shipment of ps for their new run. Not 100 percent sure how I feel about it though.

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #668 on: December 18, 2019, 06:36:49 PM »
Just saw scumco got a shipment of ps for their new run. Not 100 percent sure how I feel about it though.
Just saw that too, 100% disappointed.
I’m sure they have their reasons but I loved the Pennswood boards.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #669 on: December 19, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I can assure you of this.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #670 on: December 19, 2019, 03:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why disappointed?
What are the reasons?
Will they still have wide boards with short wb?
When I look at their site am I reading it correctly to assume the 8.62 logo board is 14” wb?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #671 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Why disappointed?
What are the reasons?
Will they still have wide boards with short wb?
When I look at their site am I reading it correctly to assume the 8.62 logo board is 14” wb?

Can’t speak for 8.6 but the 8.5’s had a 14 wheelbase and it was fantastic

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #672 on: December 19, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Yo what's the deal with this Creature Hard Maple shit?

They advertise it as being different from their normal decks and specifically call it NHS wood.  Is it still Dwindle?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #673 on: December 19, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »

They advertise it as being different from their normal decks and specifically call it NHS wood.  Is it still Dwindle?

Not a ton of evidence but it looks like the same old shit,
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104378.0

Probably as innovative as "shieldless bearing technology."

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #674 on: December 19, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks.  I actually was just reading that thread.  I'm skeptical with Dwindle period so I'll be sticking with PS, BBS, and Chapman... they've treated me best.

I'm just looking for an 8.3-8.4 x 32-32.375" with a 14.5-14.75" WB and there aren't a ton of options.  Looks like I'll be going with Polar which is cool, I'd love to support the company but they have a tad bit too much concave for me.  I normally ride Quasi's but I'm setting up a board for a bit of transition and some curbs and I have some Ace 44s to throw on it.  I can't imagine using the 8.375 Quasi shape with anything other than Thunder/Venture trucks due to the amount of flat they have between the bolts and kicks.

If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: December 19, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There definitely are reasons. He did use them for the last run of logo decks (which are still available), and it's not like this is the first time he's done runs through other wood shops. We should all be happy that they listened about the last ones not being great though.

I'm 100% in on PS, I was kind of skeptical after some of the stuff I read on here but the last few I've gotten (2 tumyeto and a WKND) have been fantastic and I'm a big fan of their tendency to have full shapes and wide kicks. Definitely hyped about this. Best company.

I can. They're all 14" wb. I've had them from 8.125-8.75 and they're all the same. If you're freaked out about it being too short you can kind of stretch it out with Ventures, or if you're a sadist like me you can try skating one with Theeves and feel like you're going to die every time you get near a hill. Personally, I like them best with Ventures or Thunders.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:06:31 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: December 19, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks.  I actually was just reading that thread.  I'm skeptical with Dwindle period so I'll be sticking with PS, BBS, and Chapman... they've treated me best.

I'm just looking for an 8.3-8.4 x 32-32.375" with a 14.5-14.75" WB and there aren't a ton of options.  Looks like I'll be going with Polar which is cool, I'd love to support the company but they have a tad bit too much concave for me.  I normally ride Quasi's but I'm setting up a board for a bit of transition and some curbs and I have some Ace 44s to throw on it.  I can't imagine using the 8.375 Quasi shape with anything other than Thunder/Venture trucks due to the amount of flat they have between the bolts and kicks.

I got one of the "hard rock maple" creatures a while ago, it was ok for about a week or two and then just sogged right out. It was bad enough that when I gave it away to a kid who needed a board I felt guilty about it so I gave him a blood wizard deck too. Dwindle/DSM has been good for me if its r7/impact, good pop and durability but if you're not a fan of super stiff decks then they might not be a great choice for you. Sometimes when I land weird on them it hurts my feet the same way your hands hurt when you foul a ball off the tapered part of an aluminum bat.

That being said, if you're ok with kinda weird shapes then I think madness has a deck or two in that range. I think Welcome does as well. Not sure about the length but Heroin does some really long wheelbases as well. Try using SPOT's deck size search or if all else fails, take the old school DIY approach and drill your wheelbase out yourself.

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #677 on: December 19, 2019, 05:18:28 PM »
Makes sense sales wise to switch to PS, has to be the most popular current shop/shapes, just for someone who prefers Penns, it’s a bit disappointing to lose one of the handful of brands using their wood.

I’ve got a nice little stack of the 8.6 logos though so I’m good for a bit

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #678 on: December 19, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Can't go wrong with those woodshops.

And understood. Only thing that popped into my head was any of the DLX full 8.3's. Everything sort of in the middle of your spec range, and if you get the higher number (IV I think?) it should be reasonably mellow. I had a Krooked 8.5 full with the flattest press number and it's equal to a Quasi concave (maybe a smidge steeper in the tail and nose).
https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/cardiel-oblivion-838-full-shape-skateboard-deck
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:41:35 PM by palelight »

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #679 on: December 19, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
I'm just looking for an 8.3-8.4 x 32-32.375" with a 14.5-14.75" WB and there aren't a ton of options.  Looks like I'll be going with Polar which is cool, I'd love to support the company but they have a tad bit too much concave for me.
Baker OG Shape 8.38" has 14.5" wb and mellow concave. BBS.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: December 19, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

There definitely are reasons. He did use them for the last run of logo decks (which are still available), and it's not like this is the first time he's done runs through other wood shops. We should all be happy that they listened about the last ones not being great though.

I'm 100% in on PS, I was kind of skeptical after some of the stuff I read on here but the last few I've gotten (2 tumyeto and a WKND) have been fantastic and I'm a big fan of their tendency to have full shapes and wide kicks. Definitely hyped about this. Best company.

Expand Quote
[close]

I can. They're all 14" wb. I've had them from 8.125-8.75 and they're all the same. If you're freaked out about it being too short you can kind of stretch it out with Ventures, or if you're a sadist like me you can try skating one with Theeves and feel like you're going to die every time you get near a hill. Personally, I like them best with Ventures or Thunders.

I want the 14” wb for ventures.
Ps gonna be the same?
Stuff that is on their site is penns or ps? (Like ps, haven’t skated penns)
Thanks for help and answers

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #681 on: December 20, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »

Is shit. Ubershit. Cheap and crappy Chinese maple grade C.
Stay away from that.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: December 20, 2019, 04:34:11 AM »

Ps gonna be the same?

None of the PS boards are up on the site yet and I don't know what the measurements are but if I get my hands on one I'll check.

If you click on the board it will tell you where it's done but the Pennswood boards available right now are the cruisers and the logo board. Definitely recommend trying one of the logo boards if you've never tried PW.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #683 on: December 20, 2019, 06:32:21 AM »
Speaking of creature and nhs gimmicks. What’s up with the cold press stuff? I’m sure it’s bullshit but are the boards/wood better than normal nhs decks?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: December 20, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Ps gonna be the same?
[close]

None of the PS boards are up on the site yet and I don't know what the measurements are but if I get my hands on one I'll check.

If you click on the board it will tell you where it's done but the Pennswood boards available right now are the cruisers and the logo board. Definitely recommend trying one of the logo boards if you've never tried PW.

Thanks bfrd

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: December 20, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
I heard the new boards have a variety of sizes, lengths, and wheelbases. I guess they've got some standard PS dimensions in addition to some stuff you don't see that often. Looks like there's really something for everyone in this run. 

Few more details - It's a 6 board set with graphics that stretch across the set. Team board and then pro models of Nicholson, Beall, Downey, KT, and Abair. Some interesting variance in shapes and sizes too. This is ScumCo's 10th year and they're starting it off with a bang. Apparently there's some other cool stuff in the works as well.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:10:03 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #686 on: December 22, 2019, 06:54:15 AM »
Speaking of creature and nhs gimmicks. What’s up with the cold press stuff? I’m sure it’s bullshit but are the boards/wood better than normal nhs decks?

Cold press is standard among woodshops I believe, maybe the DSM or pricepoint boards are warm pressed in China. The board brands under NHS are Creature and Santa Cruz from the DSM woodshop in China. Haven't skated one in a few years but I think the safer bet would be to go with DLX or PS Stix boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #687 on: December 22, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cold press is standard among woodshops I believe, maybe the DSM or pricepoint boards are warm pressed in China. The board brands under NHS are Creature and Santa Cruz from the DSM woodshop in China. Haven't skated one in a few years but I think the safer bet would be to go with DLX or PS Stix boards.

Yeah, Paul Schmitt goes over it in his Nine Club. Cold press takes longer to cure but is superior in that it doesn't damage the structure (nanotubes) of the wood and utilizes a more durable glue, whereas heat pressing damages the integrity of the wood and utilizes a different glue process that is far more brittle. Heat pressed boards can feel great new but will be less durable.

When Dwindle talks about each board being individually pressed, they can probably do that and keep the price point because of heat pressing. Kind of funny that they're advertising cold press as some kind of special construction when it is standard for Gen, PS, SC, etc.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #688 on: December 22, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »
This makes sense but what about when the graphic is applied? I heard that boards that boards get put through high temperatures during the heat transfer process. Any truth to this?
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: December 22, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
This makes sense but what about when the graphic is applied? I heard that boards that boards get put through high temperatures during the heat transfer process. Any truth to this?

Yeah it is but its not quite the same thing. Not as hot and not as long as curing, think of it like iron-on patch vs baking a cake. That being said, some old-school purists will tell you that any heat at all is bad for the board but coincidentally a lot of them seem to own or work for screen shops.

I managed to get 5 of the 6 new ScumCo decks. Missing the Abair one but I'll definitely be grabbing it. If you guys are curious I can post some dimensions and notes I took about them for another member.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:34:55 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »