Author Topic: Queer Skating in LA  (Read 18896 times)

whorific

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Queer Skating in LA
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »

But, and it’s a big but - thinking back to my teenage years, it didn’t feel that way at all! It’s easy to forget how much of the skate scene is made up of insecure teenage boys acting like complete dicks. Sure, most of them grow out of it, but as a teenager I remember hearing so much relentlessly homophobic comments, and feeling utterly alone as a gay kid skating. After I came out I had to have endless awkward conversations with people trying to apologise for the things they’d said around me before they realised I was gay.

So yeah, as an adult I’m happy enough not seeking out any of these queer skate crews on the odd occasion I go out skating, and generally just hang out with the same bunch of middle aged straight men I’ve been skating, drinking, and generally getting old with for the last 20 years or so, but I still absolutely get why a lot of teenagers think they’re necessary. Sure, in an ideal world they wouldn’t need exist, but we’re sure as hell not there yet!

There is a difficult balance between the need for visibility, and the risk of LGBT folks isolating themselves from wider society, and I completely understand that people will have differing but equally valid opinions on this. But for now, as long as some kid skating in the middle of nowhere is able to see that these queer skate crews exist, and as a result not feel as alone as I did as a teenager, then more fucking power to them.
[/quote]

yeah kids are cruel so I can totes see at a younger more fragile age needing some solidarity the same kind a lot of us got by skating together in the 80's when just being a skater was dangerous now add being queer I totally get that, thanks for the perspective punch.
" I did not say this I am not here"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3388
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I dunno a queers only skate club sounds kinda gay
but hey whatever turns yer crank I guess
[close]

You think that sounds gay, you should see a queers only bareback sex party.
[close]

man as long as there aren't any bug-chasers and gift giving have the fuck at it but I gotta draw the line at ya know death and deathlike sickness

Well thank goodness you're willing to draw the line somewhere.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »
I have a Unity related question:

They used to have this guy who rode for them that went by Chad Powers CEO. He was like a candy raver that had a bear backpack and a pet rat. He made weird edits and skated in boxer shorts & lipstick, but from what I could tell, wasn't gay, just eccentric. I always kinda thought he was a bit of a trans/gay culture vulture (if he was in fact straight) but his clips were entertaining enough that I lurked here and there. He has since disappeared from the Unity page and his semi-famous Insta page has been deleted. Anyone have any info on what happened? I heard murmurs that he got run out of montreal for being a perv, but that was from an unreliable source.
lol i used to hate watch his vids and get pissed off at his wacky and RaNdOm antics, i’ve been wondering what happened to him too, i could def see him being a perv

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »
Hey there's nothing wrong with being a perv as long as everyone involved is consenting and of age.

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2019, 05:39:29 PM »
 y'all i'm just trying to be gay in LA

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Is it weird I have an attraction to feminine men? I could never date another skater, I have and it was pretty stupid.

theresnothinghere

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2019, 05:48:14 PM »
but in all seriousness, UNITY is really sick. A lot of folks shared about it possibly being segregating but you don't need to be gay or trans to skate with Unity, you just have to be an ally. As for the carrying around a banner comments, Unity isn't just Unity Skateboarding, it's also Unity press and I think the banner also helps out with the whole art scene (another reason why I like Unity).

I haven't experienced too much homophobia in skating because I've been careful about who I skate with since I picked it back up but have a lot of straight/male friends who skate (and whom i don't really skate with) and have heard sexist comments about how woman will never be as good etc.

P.S has anyone checked out Cher Strauberry (who rides for Unity?) I know a lot of folks won't like the way she rides, but it's so specific and quirky, i fucking love it and is a prime example why Unity is sick

theresnothinghere

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Is it weird I have an attraction to feminine men? I could never date another skater, I have and it was pretty stupid.

Not weird at all. My last two partners have been skaters and it's super weird how skate personalities go into relationships but it's pretty cool to have someone encourage you to shred the gnar.

PatoDuck

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not weird at all. My last two partners have been skaters and it's super weird how skate personalities go into relationships but it's pretty cool to have someone encourage you to shred the gnar.
I mean I like guys cuz at this point I’m about 90% done with women. I don’t really know who to talk about this with

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
Skateboarding needs gays.....

PatoDuck

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
plus I’m a touchy person so we’d probably do 10 mins of skating and 2 hours worth of me touching them. I’m very affectionate

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
but in all seriousness, UNITY is really sick. A lot of folks shared about it possibly being segregating but you don't need to be gay or trans to skate with Unity, you just have to be an ally. As for the carrying around a banner comments, Unity isn't just Unity Skateboarding, it's also Unity press and I think the banner also helps out with the whole art scene (another reason why I like Unity).

I haven't experienced too much homophobia in skating because I've been careful about who I skate with since I picked it back up but have a lot of straight/male friends who skate (and whom i don't really skate with) and have heard sexist comments about how woman will never be as good etc.

P.S has anyone checked out Cher Strauberry (who rides for Unity?) I know a lot of folks won't like the way she rides, but it's so specific and quirky, i fucking love it and is a prime example why Unity is sick

She fucking shreds, theres this other trans skater chick whose dope on ig her @ is is like technopagan or some shit

theresnothinghere

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
Yeah!! They're partners or v good friends I believe. They're both sick as fuck.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 12:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
IF I FOUND OUT MY CHILD WAS SKATING WITH UNITY!! >:( >:(
[close]

What if she came home and was like, "It's cool, mom! I'm not gay, I'm just a fag hag!"

I'd say "honey, your mother was a fag hag too, and we think your grandma may be a lesbian...the Unity thing was is all about pushing you towards an aggro scene."

plod

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
I really like Jeffrey Cheung's art

themeangreen

• Rep: -76
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2019, 12:46:52 AM »
 If you skate, we are homies (unless you're name is Todd Namernth and dating my X, then fuck you Todd!). I don't care what sex stuff you like. I don't ask my good home Mason if he likes anal with who ever he would do that do. He can do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't push mongo or call it a varial flip. If you like skating you belong at any park or any spot at anytime.

theresnothinghere

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »
I really like Jeffrey Cheung's art

He's for real one of my favorite artists of all time.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
Fyer/details are below for a mini California tour starting next Friday. Hope to see some of you there!:

"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
Fyer/details are below for a mini California tour starting next Friday. Hope to see some of you there!:

The doodles are awesome. That’s the same guy that does the vans story telling cartoons right? I recognize the face there used in his stuff for all the characters. Jay Howell I think?

We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »
Expand Quote

They used to have this guy who rode for them that went by Chad Powers CEO. He was like a candy raver that had a bear backpack and a pet rat. He made weird edits and skated in boxer shorts & lipstick, but from what I could tell, wasn't gay, just eccentric. I always kinda thought he was a bit of a trans/gay culture vulture (if he was in fact straight) but his clips were entertaining enough that I lurked here and there. He has since disappeared from the Unity page and his semi-famous Insta page has been deleted. Anyone have any info on what happened? I heard murmurs that he got run out of montreal for being a perv, but that was from an unreliable source.
[close]
lol i used to hate watch his vids and get pissed off at his wacky and RaNdOm antics, i’ve been wondering what happened to him too, i could def see him being a perv
From what I remember, I think it came out that he was an assaulter and people were cutting ties to him. Don't remember the details and I hope I'm getting the story right.

Chris

• Rep: 12
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
From what I remember, I think it came out that he was an assaulter and people were cutting ties to him. Don't remember the details and I hope I'm getting the story right.

A friend and me crashed at his place while doing a cross Canada trip while in Montreal. We all drank there had a good time but he got too blasted and he trashed his own apartment then freaked out on all of us the next morning and said we fucked his place up and his dads gonna be so mad, kicked everyone out, etc, etc.

Also lived in Montreal for 4 years and girls would tell me stories about him being super creepy and doing weird shit like following them home or phoning them non stop. The kid definitely has some issues, possibly some sort of mental illness and definitely puts out creepy vibes when it comes to women. 

I’m not sure but I’ve also heard stories from friends that he got run out of Vancouver for being a price of shit to one too many people.

TLDR; That guy is definitely creepy and definitely off.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:40:24 PM by Chris »

theresnothinghere

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The doodles are awesome. That’s the same guy that does the vans story telling cartoons right? I recognize the face there used in his stuff for all the characters. Jay Howell I think?

Similar style, Howell looks a little more Bob's burgers to me. Unity's art is made by Jeffrey Cheung (based in Oakland)

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »
Just go to the skatepark ya big poon. Idk if you are a transgender or a homosexual and are afraid of being judged or whatever, doesnt really matter to me. I feel like most skaters aren't really trippin either(from my experience) as long as you're following common skatepark etiquette and not being a flamboyant doucher.
youve never told a skater you thought was cool your sexuality and have them try and fight you lol.
Another thing, Unity welcomes all people of all lifestyles from what i could tell. Just be cool and be a good ally. It isn't segregation its a safe space. (I know you edge lords are gonna come at me for that one.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:21:36 PM by Spunkchild »
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Skateboarding needs gays.....

You rule j....soy.....

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
I think skateboarding has something inherently gay to it, so it's only natural that us homos gravitate towards it.

It's just important that the gayness associated to skateboarding does not become sanitized and middle class. Gotta be from the streets to the streets.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Similar style, Howell looks a little more Bob's burgers to me. Unity's art is made by Jeffrey Cheung (based in Oakland)

Howell did the characters for Bob's Burgers haha
He and Jeff are both great people

theresnothinghere

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Howell did the characters for Bob's Burgers haha
He and Jeff are both great people

My mind is blown, never bothered to look that up, fuck!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »
Skateboarding does not need Chad Powers.......

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »
Chad Bowers is a national treasure and must be protected. Chad Powers seems awful.

As lame as skateboarding is, I’m glad there is good shit like Unity (et all) to let people get involved in/stoked on it if they want to in a comfortable manner.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2019, 01:58:34 AM »
skateboarding is so gay now