Author Topic: when did being "core" finally become a bad thing  (Read 7444 times)

yeahfuckit

when did being "core" finally become a bad thing
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »
i know "core" doesnt really exist anymore, but why are people that aren't into nike/cons, nb, vf, adidas etc shat on so hard?  even people that arent into skateboarding being an olympic sport are called out. i guess street league is fully accepted now though

ScudMantels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -104
Re: when did being "core" finally become a bad thing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »
We woke up and realized that having core traditional skate values isn't gonna cut it to be successful in the future of skateboarding. We have gave in and accepted the progression. You can be a Olympic hater, Fred Gall fanboy wearing your core ES shoes but good luck getting paid and being somebody.

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:41:30 AM »
core is basically the same as out of touch. It’s some dude that listens to gg allin, wears a trucker hat and never went to college. If, on a political level, you think these cannabilising companies are too large and are taking away what you love, look at what’s wrong with capitalism. Maybe vote. Four wheels on asphalt and emerica shoes aren’t changing shit.

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 05:23:24 AM »
I’d like to think that “core” is changing as well as skateboarding. I think it’s more about supporting your local scene and just skating and not caring so much about what state the industry is in. What most people call “core” nowadays is more so becoming “bitter old man” syndrome.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:34:48 AM »
corporate propaganda has convinced skaters just like the general population that being sovereign and having dignity is a laughable thing. better to have big daddy money hold your hand and guide the way.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:15 AM »
I try being "core" when I can such as buying Lakai,  Emerica, or eS. I will never buy a pair of Nikes even though I do have a few pairs on Cons so it's hard sometimes.

If you're talking about pros, then they either sell out or be left out

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:54:01 AM »
nike sb has a pretty chill marketing team

shalom

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 06:10:46 AM »
We woke up and realized that having core traditional skate values isn't gonna cut it to be successful in the future of skateboarding. We have gave in and accepted the progression. You can be a Olympic hater, Fred Gall fanboy wearing your core ES shoes but good luck getting paid and being somebody.

aka. everything skateboarding is about

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 06:11:16 AM »
Gen X got left in the dust

Ocelot

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:11 AM »
"Core" fell ridiculously behind the times leaving corporate companies all too happy to capitalize on what skaters wanted

Companies like Nike, Addidas and Cons (Huf to an extension too) started making shoes that didn't look like your standard mid-00s skater shoe (ones that actually looked cool on their own) & the market ate it up.

Core is a dirty word in the sense that it usually relates to some fat dude in his 40s telling you why you should buy lakai.

But the values of core shouldn't be neglected completely because it can go too far in the other direction. I mean imagine if riders for core brands started advertising themselves wearing yoga clothes and shopping in whole foods?

sms_b

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
y'all dumb. the reason you don't like core is because the older skaters are core. When you get old the younger skaters will return to core because you all sold out. rinse and repeat. you're welcome.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 06:22:22 AM »
does any other sport have the idea of "core"

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
I held on to "core" for as long as I could. At first I boycotted everything Nike ect. I am a huge fan of Lakai. But the quality just isn't there anymore. I ended up getting some blazer xt lows for free from my local and that's when I started to question everything. Those shoes lasted longer than three pairs of Lakai and I noticed my feet didn't hurt nearly as bad after jumping down stuff. So I tried to support core brands in other ways. I recently bought some of the Riley 2s to chill in but I have had them for less than two months and the lining on the inside has completely worn away. It really bums me out because I really enjoy the core brands vibe and think they do a lot for skating (Stay Flared Tour) but I just can't throw my money away like that anymore.

bo golden

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »
im so core bro, yall dont even know.  got my suicidal tendencies patch on my acid wash jean jacket about to slash the edge of my driveway on my new duane peters with stage 3 indys. 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
   The core thing dosen't apply anymore cause its a different world. We're post post, everythings a cliche now.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
   The core thing dosen't apply anymore cause its a different world. We're post post, everythings a cliche now.

Except Cliche, Cliche isn't even Cliche anymore.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »
if you’re taking about sponsored skaters who are trying to make a living doing this shit, I don’t fault them for going for the money. Most dude’s careers are short. Let em get paid.

If you’re talking about the rest of us who pay to play... I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a bad thing to buy Lakai or Emerica and I don’t hear anyone say that. Not sure what you mean when you write that it’s become a bad thing.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 07:27:57 AM »
Is it time for the weekly core shoe thread already?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 07:29:10 AM »
im so core bro, yall dont even know.  got my suicidal tendencies patch on my acid wash jean jacket about to slash the edge of my driveway on my new duane peters with stage 3 indys.

this is exactly how I picture op

cockrabbit

• Rep: -29
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:15 AM »
y'all dumb. the reason you don't like core is because the older skaters are core. When you get old the younger skaters will return to core because you all sold out. rinse and repeat. you're welcome.
this is facts, its all a cycle

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »
As long as I can remember it’s more often used as a pejorative. Apparently supporting small businesses and independent retailers is juvenile and mindless consumerism is what savvy adults are all about.

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
cultural marxism

bo golden

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 07:47:14 AM »

Yu Dum

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
As long as companies like éS, Emerica, DC, and (to a lesser extent) etnies still exist, there will continue to be a sect of skaters who cling to what we call “core” values.
I’d like to add that if DC continues on their current path then they will receive all of my money.

But, the ideology behind being “core” is, as stated prior, transitioning from genuine care for the welfare of skateboarding to just another old man yelling at a cloud.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
As long as I can remember it’s more often used as a pejorative. Apparently supporting small businesses and independent retailers is juvenile and mindless consumerism is what savvy adults are all about.
First off, regardless of what kind of business you're supporting, buying shit is buying shit and, by your own definition, mindless consumerism, so let's drop the buzzwords, shall we? No one here is making their own shoes from banana peels or pressing their own decks or whatever.

Second off, as much as I stress the importance of supporting your local shop and skate scene, I'm much less concerned about the size of certain businesses and brands than how they give back and the way they treat their employees. Small businesses are not better or more ethical by default, they have to earn that status and a lot of "smaller" brands didn't do what they needed to do to support skateboarding on both a local and a worldwide basis; instead, they just flaunted "core" status as a way to guilt trip people into supporting their brands. Now, it's coming around to bite them in the ass, and I don't see how that's the consumer's fault.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

CarbonaNotWax

• Rep: -10
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:20 AM »
Damn.
Slap of Team Pup n Suds.
Slap on Team X Bladz.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »
you mean verbal contracts over a handshake arent a good idea?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
First off, regardless of what kind of business you're supporting, buying shit is buying shit and, by your own definition, mindless consumerism, so let's drop the buzzwords, shall we? No one here is making their own shoes from banana peels or pressing their own decks or whatever.

Second off, as much as I stress the importance of supporting your local shop and skate scene, I'm much less concerned about the size of certain businesses and brands than how they give back and the way they treat their employees. Small businesses are not better or more ethical by default, they have to earn that status and a lot of "smaller" brands didn't do what they needed to do to support skateboarding on both a local and a worldwide basis; instead, they just flaunted "core" status as a way to guilt trip people into supporting their brands. Now, it's coming around to bite them in the ass, and I don't see how that's the consumer's fault.

I think consumer ethics and business ethics are two related but separate things. As a consumer, I try to make purchases that will contribute to a diversity of choices and support what I see as companies run by real skateboarders. Whether the companies give back is mostly on them though I might be able to influence them in a way. If I buy just corporate stuff like most other skaters lately, I think eventually we will have a market dominated by a few large companies that have a desire to shape skating in their image. Look at the Olympics roster for instance: it’s all one corporation’s riders. That’s not representative of skateboarding.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -678
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think consumer ethics and business ethics are two related but separate things. As a consumer, I try to make purchases that will contribute to a diversity of choices and support what I see as companies run by real skateboarders. Whether the companies give back is mostly on them though I might be able to influence them in a way. If I buy just corporate stuff like most other skaters lately, I think eventually we will have a market dominated by a few large companies that have a desire to shape skating in their image. Look at the Olympics roster for instance: it’s all one corporation’s riders. That’s not representative of skateboarding.

Exactly. This is what core is about. If only corpo shit exists they will completely water it down and everything we ever loved will just be history.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 09:41:25 AM »
Until you sew your own skate shoes from tanned goat hide, don’t come at me with how “core” you are.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.