Author Topic: Turf toe?  (Read 4719 times)

TopCat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Turf toe?
« on: March 27, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
Does anyone else get that pain in the knuckle of your big toe. I've had this pain going on and off for ages and it never fully goes away. It's weird because I can still skate fine but anything outside of skating like running is supper painful.

ungzilla

Re: Turf toe?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »
i've had turf toe and basically couldn't walk when it was bad, i stopped getting it when i stopped skating shoes that got too floppy and worn in

you might also consider sesamoiditis which is more of a chronic toe pain, i have this too and it sucks but doesn't really prevent me from skating except maybe ending the session an hour or two sooner than otherwise

TopCat

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:17 AM »
i've had turf toe and basically couldn't walk when it was bad, i stopped getting it when i stopped skating shoes that got too floppy and worn in

you might also consider sesamoiditis which is more of a chronic toe pain, i have this too and it sucks but doesn't really prevent me from skating except maybe ending the session an hour or two sooner than otherwise

Thanks man. What shoe do you normally skate? Cup soles better for it?

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
I used to think I had arthritis in my big toes because they felt stiff/inflamed and made a popping sound when I bent them past a given angle.

Turns out I had tendonitis from tensing my feet too much near the end of my stride.

I was walking wrong.

The shame.

(Try stretching.)

shit_for_brains

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
I have it on my pushing foot from, gasp, pushing for 26 years or however long it's been. It hurt constantly which is pretty par for the course with it, but I tape it up to keep the bones where they should be while I skate and that keeps it from getting much worse. My doctor was wholly uninterested in it and said that's pretty much how it goes because he is a shitty doctor.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
search YT on how to tape it. I have been cursed with foot problems - 3 breaks/1 surgery and I need another one. I have sworn off vulcs. I also go big on tiger balm before and epsom salt after. Quality shoes are key.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »
 I got it from slipping inside my shoe and jamming it not unlike jamming your thumb in basket ball but problem is you cant just not use your foot or be tender with it and I'm a carpenter by trade so yeah , sucks big time.  I tried putting an insole in a NB numeric and it wouldn't fit so I cut it a bit too small and after a pretty good sesh at a DIY I popped a 180 in a parking lot waiting for a dude to grab beers and "CRACK" to the dismay of my bros I had to limp to a bust stop immediately. Now a lot like my Trucks and Bushings I run my shoes and insoles totally stock , cant risk missing a month of work all time spent on it made it worse so I finally had to give in and just stay off it for a couple weeks.
" I did not say this I am not here"

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
It could be gout.  Check your diet and see if it goes away.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TopCat

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
I have it on my pushing foot from, gasp, pushing for 26 years or however long it's been. It hurt constantly which is pretty par for the course with it, but I tape it up to keep the bones where they should be while I skate and that keeps it from getting much worse. My doctor was wholly uninterested in it and said that's pretty much how it goes because he is a shitty doctor.

Yoo that might be it. I commute by skating so I'm always pushing. It's the best thing bombing down the road busting big ollies

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
I thought I was getting turf toe a while ago. The pain fortunately hasn't been as frequent recently so I don't really know If I actually have it. I do know I have corns near my pinky toe and these fuckers are worse than my arthritis pain

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks for making the thread. I had some toe pain last summer in my pushing foot that I thought was just a fluke. It's back after skating more for the past couple weeks and it sounds like turf toe. I'm interested to see what's helped other people.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »

My doctor said come back when it's worst. He told me he had to joint the toe bone to the feet on one pacient recently due to pain, so my shit it's not that bad for him to treat.

Also I think when i was using FP gamechangers i didn't suffer much from it, gotta get some good insole again.

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
Skating in classic vans over w/o padding look and feel great, but there's a huge price you'll pay. 

Now I wear cupsole shoes with double the insoles, anything to negate the pain.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »
I'm hobbling around with this, my Doc has been on hoildays, going to see her next week finally. It's also my right foot (pushing foot). It's the first time I've ever had any problems with it.
I'd say i'm glad i'm not alone, but i'm not. Fucking sucks.
For the guy asking about shoes, I wear etnies fader or kingpins.
I had no idea this was even a thing till now.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3383
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
I walked on my tip toes for years as a kid. Makes me think the phrase "light in the loafers" is fully legit.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »

I was adjusting forks on a powered fork lift and didnt move my foot quick enough. For two years my toe would just not cooperate, freeze up and crack when fully bent so I'd have to bend it with my fingers and fuck did that hurt. I did it enough times that it started working again and doesnt freeze up at all anymore. You gotta do some of that stretching and physical therapy
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

TopCat

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »

I was adjusting forks on a powered fork lift and didnt move my foot quick enough. For two years my toe would just not cooperate, freeze up and crack when fully bent so I'd have to bend it with my fingers and fuck did that hurt. I did it enough times that it started working again and doesnt freeze up at all anymore. You gotta do some of that stretching and physical therapy
Damn that's gnarly. Thanks for the advice

belt

• Rep: -16
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »

Every time a friend of mine has claimed Turf Toe it ends up being The Gout!!!!!
see if you have a family history of gout and follow the dietary restrictions

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
oh hell yea i have that. jammed the fuck out of my toe bombing a hill in 2016 and the pains stuck around for years. since then just the slightest jam or stub would hurt so much. 3 years later it's finally starting to feel better. i've been really careful not to re-injure and only skate in stiff cupsoles.
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 01:29:17 AM »
I am finally getting an injection in my toe tomorrow. Tried insoles, anti-inflammatory gels/pills and so on. No luck. Was tested (negative) for gout and all sorts of shit. Its just arthritis. Getting old sucks. Haven't hardly skated this year under several docters orders. Hope this sorts it.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 01:59:09 AM »
Inflammation is a fucker. I do have mild arthritis but staying away from foods and drinks that exacerbate inflammation will help.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 02:30:06 AM »
Try this:
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.