Author Topic: Swastikas  (Read 5272 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
Swastikas
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »
This is not a thread about Jason Jesse or surf/skate Nazis. The swastikas they used were purposefully adopting Nazi swastikas for their own lame reasons.

What I want to do, if anyone actually cares, is discuss the history and cultural variations of the swastika APART from Nazi culture, as that is the only exposure most people in the ‘west’ have of it.

Swastikas have been used all over the world, in all different cultures with for the most part, positive meanings, and in the ‘east’, most people still see swastikas with that mindset, to the point where kids in Japan (where I live right now) can’t tell the difference between the two, and you can buy Nazi swastika patches at fashion shops here and no one knows the connection.

Let me get this straight, I hate Nazis and I’d i see that garbage around I take the patches off the rack and hide them in some dark corner of the store.

On the other hand, I had an artist acquaintance who was heavily tattooed in just swastikas, and taught me the difference. It was eye-opening, and if anyone wants to talk about something else than lame skate news, I’d be happy to accommodate.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Monkey_Mcpott

Re: Swastikas
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
No thanks

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »

If anyone wants to talk about something else than lame skate news

Go fuck yourself

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
The meaning behind it is too far drowned out by the German nazis. It would suck if you had that tattooed on you to explain to every single person you met what it actually was and you would cop way too much shit. Find another design that doesn’t have that kind of controversy...

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:21:51 PM »
What does this have to do with useless wooden toys?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
Nah, unfortunately they mean Nazi now

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »
This is not a thread about Jason Jesse or surf/skate Nazis. The swastikas they used were purposefully adopting Nazi swastikas for their own lame reasons.

What I want to do, if anyone actually cares, is discuss the history and cultural variations of the swastika APART from Nazi culture, as that is the only exposure most people in the ‘west’ have of it.

Swastikas have been used all over the world, in all different cultures with for the most part, positive meanings, and in the ‘east’, most people still see swastikas with that mindset, to the point where kids in Japan (where I live right now) can’t tell the difference between the two, and you can buy Nazi swastika patches at fashion shops here and no one knows the connection.

Let me get this straight, I hate Nazis and I’d i see that garbage around I take the patches off the rack and hide them in some dark corner of the store.

On the other hand, I had an artist acquaintance who was heavily tattooed in just swastikas, and taught me the difference. It was eye-opening, and if anyone wants to talk about something else than lame skate news, I’d be happy to accommodate.

I'll discuss watching paint dry, boiling water, anything but this.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
Not shalom.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
Nah, unfortunately they mean Nazi now
That’s the thing, only for the western world. If you talk about where the majority of humanity lives, in Asia, it means something very different.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Zom

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »

wompa_stompa

• Rep: -3
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
WOOOW cool thread dingus. You know this shit doesn’t belong here.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 10:20:56 PM »

Skate-related

http://www.confuzine.com/tag/little-swastika/

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »
shouldn’t this at least be in whatever if on the boards at all? kind of a random thread to start in uwtb.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
I’m fine if the mods want to move it there, but it’s a bit of a relevant topic lately with JJ and Jimbo, and the talk about problematic symbols in skateboarding (the iron cross, the rising sun)

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:41 PM »
I’m fine if the mods want to move it there, but it’s a bit of a relevant topic lately with 1010 and Jimbo, and the talk about problematic symbols in skateboarding (the iron cross, the rising sun)

There's only one JJ around here and he don't fuck with swastikas.

wompa_stompa

• Rep: -3
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skate-related

Stupid “eye opening” Swastika tattoos-related.

https://images.app.goo.gl/kzKDhJ3xLduZiunNA

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 10:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Skate-related

[close]

Stupid “eye opening” Swastika tattoos-related.

https://images.app.goo.gl/kzKDhJ3xLduZiunNA

Green is a terrible color for tattoos

thebunsman69

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 12:04:22 AM »
Despite the apologists in this thread, it's not a question of whether Nazi symbolism is in poor taste or not; it clearly is.
There's a difference between a Vedic Swastika and the one appropriated by Nazi Germany.

Aren't we writing from an overwhelmingly Western perspective?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 12:55:15 AM »
Despite the apologists in this thread, it's not a question of whether Nazi symbolism is in poor taste or not; it clearly is.
There's a difference between a Vedic Swastika and the one appropriated by Nazi Germany.

Who’s apologizing? No one is making excuses for people appropriating Nazi swastikas (as Jason Jesse clearly was).
It’s understanding that there is a larger cultural meaning behind the swastika for the majority of humanity, and will be apparent to anyone who travels to the ‘east’.

And not even that far, there are still lots of pre-WW2 swastikas around, like in the tilework in the entrance to an old Greek business in my university town. Hell, the Columbia logo is a swastika in negative space.

Mansymbols

• Rep: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 02:26:54 AM »
I never quite got why the Nazis adopted it, anyone know?
Doesn't Denver Airport look like a swazi from the sky or something?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »

i am German. Swastikas and various SS Logos are illegal here. You can only get away using them in Art. Of course the Nazis just appropriated an Old symbol, but since that Symbol means Nazi now, why would you want to wear that shit? It is Not that cool of a Symbol by itself anyways.

I was just in Panama. Off the caribean Coast of that Country is a small indiginous Community which is its Own Independent Nation. They have a Swastika on their flag. It is fucking weird as a German to Cross a boarder to a Country with Swastikas on the Flags everywhere. Apperently the Swastika on the flag of the guna Nation predates that of the nazis by a few years.
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Flag_of_Kuna_Yala.svg

Ocelot

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 03:14:04 AM »
slap obsessed with swastikas

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 03:27:17 AM »
I never quite got why the Nazis adopted it, anyone know?
Doesn't Denver Airport look like a swazi from the sky or something?

Cultural appropriation?

People were already acquainted with the symbol, it was probably as well-known as the “peace” sign is for us.

It was a good luck symbol for thousand of years, in Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist and Native American cultures, and up until the war it was used in daily life even in the US, woven into designs, made into tile mosaics and incorporated into architecture, and used as a logo for brands.

Coca-Cola has swastika-branded stuff, and there was a town in Canada called Swastika (that subsequently changed its name).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:31:00 AM by cucktard »

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 03:43:57 AM »
it is curious how uptight people have gotten around it. goes to censorship and how inanimate stuff can be villianized. i mean, is the star of david a symbol of hate? ask a Palestinean. should it be banned for their feelings? i don't think so. if i see a 6 point star in Chicago i don't think of Palestinean genocide.
i'm Irish, i don't see the British flag as offensive and they genocided my ancestors twice. some cultures just professional victims.
i'm more offended by man/woman than any geometric shapes.

Ocelot

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 05:29:08 AM »
it is curious how uptight people have gotten around it. goes to censorship and how inanimate stuff can be villianized. i mean, is the star of david a symbol of hate? ask a Palestinean. should it be banned for their feelings? i don't think so. if i see a 6 point star in Chicago i don't think of Palestinean genocide.
i'm Irish, i don't see the British flag as offensive and they genocided my ancestors twice. some cultures just professional victims.
i'm more offended by man/woman than any geometric shapes.

and now your country flies a Palestinian flag over its city hall, nice!

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2278
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
Of course it's going to be seen as a symbol of hate,and that's probably not going change. Navajo's use(d) it

whirling log was all positive,but no matter the angle it goes straight to nazism in a lot of people's eyes.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
I wrote a lymric...

There once was a man with two hats

One protected the other from gnats

Fakie ollies he'd do

On a vertical pew 

Until he was reckoned by SLAPs

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:01 AM »
I don't know if we'll ever be able to take it back in the west mate, the damage is done I reckon
When the whole 10/10 came out I posted this:
because Manji (the name of the character "卍") is experiencing somewhat of a boom in Japan at the moment (as I'm sure you're probably aware). So yes, you're right - people in Asia and especially the youth don't know what it means nor do they understand the implications of it. I love this guys tattoos and my son's kimono even had this pattern on it the other day:
but again, it's within the context of Japan (albeit the guy that got these sleeves isn't Japanese).

I think you sent me some info about the guy who had swazis tattooed all over him but as someone mentioned up there do you really want to be explaining that every time someone looks at your tattoos?

Another case in point is blade of the immortal (and I'm only bringing it up because I know you're a fan too); the main character's name is Manji (taken from one of Hokusai's later life name changes) so of course he has a big fucking 卍 on his back and for the period/ context that the story is set in, no one would have even blinked an eyelid. Did you see Takeshi Miike's adaption of it though? He knew that it would be seen by a western audience and thus changed the symbol to 万 (which is still read "manji") most definitely because he already anticipated the response if he went with the original character.

Idk, the tl;dr version is that I think for non-Asian people it's more trouble than it's worth to try and take anything back...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:28:20 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 03:20:05 AM »
I was in Lancaster PA jail one time and woke up to my two bunkies finishing a tattoo. This 20 year old was so scared to go to the joint and do his little 4 years, he got a swastika in county before he went down so the AB/WP would protect him.  Swastika ended up being backwards. Huge too. No way to hide it. Sometimes you can't stop stupid I guess.