Author Topic: discuss: new bastien interview in thrasher  (Read 13304 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: discuss: new bastien interview in thrasher
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I never understood people hating on him, that kid is good as shit and always has been. What can he not do? Him combined with Ali Boulala and Mark Appleyard made Sorry one of the best videos of the 2000s.
[close]

people hate kids...even more so those that self cheer....
[close]

Isn't it a bit weird to have this international law, that if you self cheer, youre an asshole? I mean the kids from the Congo, moved to France in his early teens ( I'm pretty sure )... Isn't there a possibility that there are cultural differences... This is a kid from an entirely different up-bringing than almost any of us...  and we're going to shit on him, because he's "overly - glad" to have landed a trick...
[close]

in the forms of 'self-cheering' there's a huge difference in looking psyched about landing a trick and looking like 'im sooo much better than the rest of you'
[close]

Please show evidence of Bastien looking / feeling that way.
I've never been too bothered by it, but his tampa am run, kickflip the pyramid to frontboard down the rail
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

john

• Rep: 8
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Reynolds may have "frontside flipped bigger shit" but he does not have the tech shit that Bastien does... switch f/s 270 lip,  kickflip backtails, that kid is sick as fuck.
[close]
pretty sure reynolds could do both those tricks(... is me pointing out what you said didn't make sense)
[close]
1) he hasn't
2) those are examples of some of Bastiens tricks, not the list of tricks Bastien can do but Reynolds can't(...is you contradicting yourself)
3) I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, its just rediculous that people can call him monotonous and then be all over Reynold's balls.
[close]
1) I'm sure that in his 20 or whatever years he's been skating he's done a kickflip backtail and probably a sw 270 lip too.
2)that's basicly what you're impling in your first post
3)People are probably "all over Reynold's balls" because of the way he does his tricks, not the tricks themselves
[close]

Your a bitch. Get off Reynolds balls. They need some air. (... is you using a tired joke) "I bet he could do that! You don't even know! WAAAAAAAAAH!"
one thing you are right about though, I accidentally forgot to add the words, down a handrail.(...is you agreeing with me that what you said didn't make sense)Fuck man, even I can do kickflip backtails on ledges
[close]
Wow, what an original insult! Get off Reynolds balls! That's sooo funny! How did you think of that?

cunt.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
There's one Euro contest he entered where he's clearly off his tits with the self-cheer.  Full on Arsenio Hall fist pumping shit.

I went back and searched the older posts and couldn't find it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1206
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
zzzzzz
hardly art, hardly starving

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I never understood people hating on him, that kid is good as shit and always has been. What can he not do? Him combined with Ali Boulala and Mark Appleyard made Sorry one of the best videos of the 2000s.
[close]

[close]

Isn't it a bit weird to have this international law, that if you self cheer, youre an asshole? I mean the kids from the Congo, moved to France in his early teens ( I'm pretty sure )... Isn't there a possibility that there are cultural differences... This is a kid from an entirely different up-bringing than almost any of us...  and we're going to shit on him, because he's "overly - glad" to have landed a trick...
[close]

in the forms of 'self-cheering' there's a huge difference in looking psyched about landing a trick and looking like 'im sooo much better than the rest of you'
[close]

[close]
I've never been too bothered by it, but his tampa am run, kickflip the pyramid to frontboard down the rail

I can't come down on anyone for an opinion... but it just seems that this m-board is swayed way towards nothing but what it will except and nothing else ... and at the same time, will not apply the same critisisms to the m-boards own favorites... ( Puleo, Oyola, DLXSF - esque stuff etc.)

As to the idea of catering to fans... I have to say that is a great inconsistency with some of the other "banter" posted... Not by you "TurkeyLurkey", but just in general.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
i said this before, and im going to say it again.

fuck bastien.

yeah, he's super talented, but he's a self cheering jock.

skating does not need him.

there are so many guys i'd rather watch.

plus, when has talent <in the sence of you saying bastien has talent> been the end all be all in skating?

most of my friends are better than a guy like jeff pang from a technical stand point, but id rather watch pang!!!
I need a coffee

miff

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you don't see jb, lucas, or rousseau doing that shit, do you?

If you want to compare those dudes with Bastien... be my guest... That is exactly my point. Youre pointing out French connection? JB and Lucas and Rousseau are polar opposites to Bastien. CULTURAL DIFFERENCES...

otis b driftwood

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »

you don't see jb, lucas, or rousseau doing that shit, do you?

no but only becuase they don't enter contests and have smarter editors than bastien,  JJ is a cocky little motherfucker.

bastiens fakie 3 in plain and simple was one of the best i've ever seen down something.

sepänaukio

• Rep: 0
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In the case of people vs. mr. Salabanzi, the Jury has found him guilty of waving his hands, kissing the rail after landing a trick, kissing the ground for no good reason and acting like a total arse...

otis b driftwood

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
Oh, i thought it was an unwritten law in skateboarding to NOT be a douche bag... my bad.

ok, you can no longer like carroll, guy, gino, koston, mj, henry sanchez and a myriad of other skaters.

daboss

• Rep: -56
  • ollies r teh fun
    • olliemag avatar image
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »
I've met carroll... was a nice guy.
i've met mj... was a nice guy.
never met gino.
never met guy.
never met sanchez

My point is that in my own personal experience was that he was a douche.

miff

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In the case of people vs. mr. Salabanzi, the Jury has found him guilty of waving his hands, kissing the rail after landing a trick, kissing the ground for no good reason and acting like a total arse...

Corny? YES...

Cocky asshole? I don't know...

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
WHO CARES IF HE SELF CHEERS! SAL B DID IT A LOT. NO ONE'S HOLDING THAT AGAINST HIM.

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY IS A GUY WITH THIS MUCH SKILL  UNSPONSORED AND GUYS LIKE MUSKA AND
TK ARE RICH.

IF YOU REALLY THINK OF THE "BIG PICTURE" IT'S HARD TO TALK SHIT ON HIM.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:05:17 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

justafan

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »
muska? maybe because he s a fucking legend and payed his dues.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »
Feedback?

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »

I got it... Image sells!

kuman

• Rep: 5
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
Self cheering or not, HE IS GNARLY.

This was posted a while back but worth a look again!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:32:53 PM by kuman »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2007, 05:25:38 PM »
just wow... how the fuck is it possible to be that consistant? bs flip in to the QP was gnarly...

Bushsucks

• Rep: 3
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »
I know all the video evidence is supossed to make me hate on Bastien but it just makes me think he's even sicker. If I was as good as him, I would cheer for myself too. LOL!

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
whats so crazy about the hate on bastien is that

none of his shit is easy

none of it

for any pro anywhere

hes gotta be one of the most consistant skaters in the entire world

i mean damn

you got the muvafukkkin sanch

and

geoff rowley

the illest of tech and the illest of gnar

co signing this negro

that shit would be so annoying

if he signed every autograph and talked to everyone hed have no time for himself

hes a negrostar

soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much is expected of

just like lavar

those skategros were expected to perform above and beyond everytime they stepped on a board

and they came through every single time

of all the hate

you've never heard of either of them sukkking

ever

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2007, 07:05:54 PM »
rowley signed his release papers too
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

Raw!!!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
  • ackrite
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
Personally what makes me not like his skating is that every trick he does is basically the same as everything else he does. Everything is a backside turning kickflip trick, often fakie, or a switch heel, where as Reynolds who some of you are comparing him too does frontside flips but he also does back 3's and other tricks that have nothing to do with a frontside flip.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »
Boo fucking hoo. Everyone self cheers in some way. After throwing your board and all that bullshit would it be normal to just roll away expressionless?
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

immortal

• Rep: 1
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »
He was kicked off Flip because he'd turn up at Demo's on on filming trips and sit around and play the guitar all day and not skate, got Stupidly into the guitar, saw him in Paris last year, rolled up at Bercy in a suit, trilby, two guitars, no board. Borrowed a kids board, blazed across the spot doing loads of fast nailed flip tricks (I forget what though) , gave the kid his board back and said "Ugh that board feels like it has cancer." I like the new mad Bastien, better than the old jock Bastien.

doitswitch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »
I can see where people are coming from, he seems to like turning one way...
Backside, fakie backside, switch frontside, nollie backside.
Nollie backside heelflip, backside half cab flips(and cab of course), backside bigspins, switch frontside heels.
Even on ledges and rails, switch back board, regs front. It's as if he struggles to turn even 90 degrees his unpreferred way.
But there are always exeptions, frontside flip long 3 in Sorry (Flo switch tre I think), frontside halfcab flip MACBA Really Sorry, frontside nollie on flat in Really Sorry and a switch back tail in Really Sorry. But as far as skill goes, he's pretty unfuckwithable.
As far as the self cheering goes, I don't mind it too much but he did it real bad after a backside flip in Prague, Czech Republic. (Footage Playing in Traffic) Definately not 'personal stokage' cheering.

aguywhoskates

• Rep: -13
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2007, 10:59:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got it... Image sells!

muska and TK are rich cuz they actually still work hard at demos. Bastien is more into his guitars at the moment. nothing against him if thats what he wants to do but if you want to get rich off pushing a piece of wood around, you cant slack off.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I got it... Image sells!
[close]

muska and TK are rich cuz they actually still work hard at demos. Bastien is more into his guitars at the moment. nothing against him if thats what he wants to do but if you want to get rich off pushing a piece of wood around, you cant slack off.

nah, bastien was killing it during the feast tours and that was his last tours with flip, the dude has way more tricks then you think, in fact? he pretty much has every trick.

aguywhoskates

• Rep: -13
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2007, 11:11:03 PM »
But hes not trying anymore. he has more talent than muska and tk but doesnt try as hard and thats why hes not gettin payed. im just making a point toward henry's post about bastien.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »
very true man, but he might just be taking a break for a bit witch he definetly deserves. not to mention that its probablly really easy to get kicked off of flip.

illmatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • g'd up from the feet up
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2007, 12:43:24 AM »
...but damn!!!

that does happen to be a lot of cheering though...
ugh, thanks rupert, I have been looking for the adio myspace website for quite some time...