Author Topic: Back smith on tranny  (Read 4481 times)

slappyjoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Back smith on tranny
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »
Iv always like the look of back smiths on tranny they so satisfying. I can front smith and back feeble tranny fine and i can back smith ledges but i when i try back smiths on tranny they look and feel horrible. Whats the secret? Any help or tips? Iv tried looking it up but i can only find how to do it on a ledge.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Re: Back smith on tranny
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:17:26 PM »
I'd love to know. Bucket list trick for me also...

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:25 PM »
It's actually a lot like doing an over rotated backside 5050 grind. Try just stalling em first, go up like you're gonna do a back axle stall but the only thing you'll be doing differently is instead of aiming for the coping with your front truck to stall, aim for the tranny and kinda dip your front foot/nose and just lean into the tranny and you'll roll back in. Watch out for over rotating it too much cause you can end up unexpectedly in a back d and hang up and die.

slappyjoes

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:59:21 PM »
It's actually a lot like doing an over rotated backside 5050 grind. Try just stalling em first, go up like you're gonna do a back axle stall but the only thing you'll be doing differently is instead of aiming for the coping with your front truck to stall, aim for the tranny and kinda dip your front foot/nose and just lean into the tranny and you'll roll back in. Watch out for over rotating it too much cause you can end up unexpectedly in a back d and hang up and die.

Thanks senpai :) Over rotating is what i fear the most. Il try it out when im at my local next

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 02:20:52 AM »
its a weird trick to figure out and even when you think you've got it you probably dont. as said above just learn to stall them with it dipped into the tranny. the two biggest issues i'd say are either the front heel touching coping or grinding it and overrotating into back d. i find it helps to definitely lean into the ramp more, have your front foot in more of a 45 degree angle near the top to mid way down the board to keep it clear of the coping and also guide it, then have just the toes/ball of your foot perched on the rear to really push it up into the coping to keep it locked. if you watch enough back smith footage youll see people might have different front foot placement but the back one is always perched up:

slappyjoes

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 03:41:08 AM »
its a weird trick to figure out and even when you think you've got it you probably dont. as said above just learn to stall them with it dipped into the tranny. the two biggest issues i'd say are either the front heel touching coping or grinding it and overrotating into back d. i find it helps to definitely lean into the ramp more, have your front foot in more of a 45 degree angle near the top to mid way down the board to keep it clear of the coping and also guide it, then have just the toes/ball of your foot perched on the rear to really push it up into the coping to keep it locked. if you watch enough back smith footage youll see people might have different front foot placement but the back one is always perched up:

Thanks man appreciate the advice cant wait to try it now

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:03:34 AM »
All those photos make me want to get them more. Front smiths feel so good on pool coping I can only imagine what its like to lock into a back smith and go for a little ride...

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »
what i do is i i kind of approach the copping at a slight angle to start.  then i kind of do a slight back power slide in to the grind.  it makes your back foot fall right in to the pushing position. what the homie told me that helped was, point your front foot at the nose so your front foot is fully on the board no hang at all, toes pointing at your bolts and just pose it. next thing you know you are grinding from end to end hope this helps

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
I learned them by just carving backside and slashing my back truck as I’m “dipping” down, and then from there just worked on actually getting on top of the coping while maintaining momentum to do an actual grind.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »
fuck im in the same boat,i got em on ledges and rails but i cant even stall one on tranny

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »
I just do the worse backside grind and push my back heel down, stick my ass out and tell myself it was a back smith.....

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »
My problem is that to do it properly you have to have the whole truck up on top of the coping. This is fine frontside, but back fifty’s and 5-0’s I only have the heel side wheel on top, so when I try and renter the transition from a back smith I hang up and eat shit.

Any tips on getting out of them?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
I just do the worse backside grind and push my back heel down, stick my ass out and tell myself it was a back smith.....

I’ve definitely done this before

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 59
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
For some reason I learned these before proper 50-50’s. Over years they got more n more comfy but goin to backtail is hit or miss n reverting out isn’t even an option.

Really stoked on dudes who can stand up n grind em a looooonnnnngg ways.

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Idk if this has been said, but backside slashes aren’t smith grinds. Probably the biggest difference I can think of is that you are standing on the back truck during a smith grind.

Black Frycook

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »
Go fast

deacon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
Couple of tips with back smiths :
1) get the heel of the front foot onto the griptape. This feels a little unnatural particularly as you tend to use your heel when learning backside Smith stalls.
2) keep that back heel high. It helps to keep the back truck locked onto the top of the coping.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
Already been covered, pump hard, go fast. Jam your back toes into the pocket of the tail and make sure your front heel is clear of the coping.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »
Barker Barrett said it's just like when you roll a bowling ball.

slappyjoes

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 11:27:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help im starting to get the hang of them now i just gotta learn to trust it now

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
To be clear, the proper name is "Monty Grind" after Monty Nulder
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »

To be clear, the proper name is "Monty Grind" after Monty Nolder.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
So I relearned these on a corner in a small bowl with pool coping.

I pull my front foot heel back towards my bolts and I try to get my back foot on my toes over the heel side wheel to hold it longer.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To be clear, the proper name is "Monty Grind" after Monty Nolder.

HA! whoops
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes