Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43191 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2021, 04:15:57 AM »
Ive got 2 flight decks, a popsicle 8.75 with Indy 159s and a 9.125 pool shape with Indy 169s. Both have Bones SPF wheels, and the heft of the larger board makes it much easier for me to ram it into stuff, whereas i feel less confident on the lighter/smaller board.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »
I heard in sacto, guys would use wood screws to hold in rails all the way through the deck, then hammer off the pointy end.....

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »
Back in the day we used "sex bolts" or T-Nuts.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2021, 05:08:27 PM »
I heard in sacto, guys would use wood screws to hold in rails all the way through the deck, then hammer off the pointy end.....

Fairly common in general.

Others I know put the longer screws through the deck before they grip it and angle grind to tops off for a nice clean but well locked in.

Lock bolts or sex bolts are much harder to get and most people don't want a million things on the top of their boards.

I have seen some people put down double sided tape to lock the rails in place too, then screw them in.

Everyone can have their own deal with rails.

I prefer boards without rails, but I did use them when I was a kid and I can see the uses for them nowdays too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sketchyrider

« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
Reviving this thread because it is important slap material. Is there a favorite wheel shape when it comes to slappies? Would a classic shape roll on and off nicely? Or are you better off with a fat wide shape?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2021, 05:55:28 PM »
Skimmed thru and haven't seen anyone say this but soz if it's been mentioned
If anyone has trouble doing slappys riding a wide board with skinny trucks will help a lot.
Sucks for big transition and hills but if your just doing laps and hitting curbs in a parking lot it's pretty fun.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2021, 08:09:36 AM »
Back in the day we used "sex bolts" or T-Nuts.

last time i always use rat nuts for my trucks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2021, 08:13:18 AM »
Reviving this thread because it is important slap material. Is there a favorite wheel shape when it comes to slappies? Would a classic shape roll on and off nicely? Or are you better off with a fat wide shape?

for me, i find big classic shape the easiest to roll on to the curb.

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #278 on: September 12, 2021, 09:21:36 PM »
44 years old. Been skating since the late eighties, but just recently learned legit slappies bashing the front truck and fully standing up on extended grinds. It was a battle to learn them. Probably hundreds of attempts. Learned on an 8.5 popsicle with Indy 159s because that is what I usually ride. This also seems like a pretty typical current/slappy setup. Was skating with a friend the other day that still rocks 7.75. I tried his board and was surprised to find that it was absolutely not any harder to slappy on it than the wide board. Seriously, exactly the same. So, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on board dimensions from a performance perspective. Just ride what you enjoy riding.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2021, 06:26:45 AM »
managed to get the Heroin Curbkiller deck from Laststandskates..another slappy board for me..

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »
My slappy board is a 9.4" heroin mutant egg shortened to 14" wb for flip tricks. I look for a 9"+ board that has a 14" wb or a wheelbase that I can shorten to 14" wb. Trucks just fit the board, 54mm wheels and some lil jawn or rib bones deck rails. I like a wide board and short wheelbase but its all preference. I can slappy on my 7.75" board but more real estate with The wide board!

Srt32srt

« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2021, 06:46:50 AM »
My slappy board is a 9.4" heroin mutant egg shortened to 14" wb for flip tricks. I look for a 9"+ board that has a 14" wb or a wheelbase that I can shorten to 14" wb. Trucks just fit the board, 54mm wheels and some lil jawn or rib bones deck rails. I like a wide board and short wheelbase but its all preference. I can slappy on my 7.75" board but more real estate with The wide board!

I haven't noticed any wheel shapes being easier or harder. Same with wheel size. Ride what you like. I like 86a orbs pugs wheels because the are firm and slide but rolls over rough asphalt smooth as butter. Also like the spitfire charger 80hd for rough ground and  for any asphalt rough or smooth 95a oj nomads, and spitfire 97a for park & bowls. All 54mm

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: September 30, 2021, 08:23:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't noticed any wheel shapes being easier or harder. Same with wheel size. Ride what you like. I like 86a orbs pugs wheels because the are firm and slide but rolls over rough asphalt smooth as butter. Also like the spitfire charger 80hd for rough ground and  for any asphalt rough or smooth 95a oj nomads, and spitfire 97a for park & bowls. All 54mm

i've been leaning more towards the 56mm 92a wheels nowadays for slappies..

Lhotse

• Rep: -36
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »
My new slappy/pool board. 10x33 Moose blank, Indy 215s, a custom paint job that will cost MORE than the rest of the board, side rails and these 'trash' 53mm wheels with a huge radius on the inside and a small contact patch, along with cheap bearings for Slappy Grind Saturdays with the crew.
I swap out the wheels and bearings for 56mm Spitfire F4 Full Conicals with Bones Swiss 6 Balls for pool riding.

Srt32srt

« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2021, 07:12:09 AM »

thats how roger bagley explains how he does it on the nine club. i havent had any issues with using some trex super glue tape and pre drilling my holes. not a single deck rail has come loose or pulled out. i think when you start bending the rails you can have some issues, if you didnt heat them up and bend them before installing.

animalflesh

« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
I do the wood screw thing… takes like 2 seconds and you know your rails are never ever coming loose

I’ve had friends snap rails and not rip a screw out