Author Topic: Skating after broken fibula  (Read 3497 times)

Lennylowelltattoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Skating after broken fibula
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
So the after reading a million posts about sprained ankles I’d like to get some advice from people who’ve actually broken their ankle and returned to skateboarding.

I’ve been back on my board fror a little over a month and have been skating with an ankle brace on my right(front) foot. I’ve been getting pumping and carving tranny back pretty quick, but when it comes to lip tricks, ollies, kickflips, or even shove it’s (which I scoop with my back foot) I’m absolutely garbage.

What are some things I can do or expect to encounter or possibly have to approach different to get these back?

rusty knees

• Rep: -12
  • I had a photo in SLAP
Re: Skating after broken fibula
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
I dislocated my ankle and broke my leg at the same time, two screws to hold my ankle together and missed a whole summer. just take it easy and let it heal completely. I don't even think about mine anymore when I'm out skating, I just avoid doing the trick that I originally fucked my shit up on. you'll be fine, it just takes time

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
I dislocated my ankle and broke my leg at the same time, two screws to hold my ankle together and missed a whole summer. just take it easy and let it heal completely. I don't even think about mine anymore when I'm out skating, I just avoid doing the trick that I originally fucked my shit up on. you'll be fine, it just takes time

I have a plate and two screws holding together my fibula and it's on my pusher popper foot so I hope to fuck I can get back to 100% cause I need to skate it's all I got.

[EDIT]

Holy shit the plate is a lot longer with like 5 or 6 screws in it , just saw the x-ray today fuuuuuuuuck
and I just found out its gonna be another 6 weeks before I'm walking with full weight this really sucks I had no business that low in the bowl with my trucks that tight should of had my Ace setup was just gonna stick to street that day fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:02:37 PM by whorific »
" I did not say this I am not here"

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
I still have a plate and eleven screws in my fibula. I had one screw that went through the ball of my ankle and stuck through the other side. Once that was taken out I was able to move my ankle around and walk again, but had to go to PT to realign my hips and then relearn to walk. All in I did about six months of PT before they told me my range of motion would never be the same. I couldn’t push and I definitely couldn’t pop my board. I started skating again last year after dealing with it for four years. One day I realized it didn’t hurt anymore and I couldn’t remember the last time it did hurt. Every now and again the muscles and ligaments around the plate get sore, sometimes my Achilles gets sore, and I occasionally walk with a limp

The elliptical machine at the gym works wonders with stretching and getting your ankle moving. I think I worked my way up to 90-95% mobility. A lot of it is getting over the mental aspect of it, but I would suggest not rushing back into things too soon. You don’t want to get hurt again
fuck you bama

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 392
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
I broke my flicking ankle a couple years ago, partially dislocated my tibia, dislocated by syndesmotic ligament, and ended up with a plate and seven screws. After I started walking again it still took a few months for my mobility to fully get back and to even ollie. Time is the biggest factor honestly, the muscle memory is still there. If you're not doing it already, you should definitely take at least 10-20 mins a day to exercise it a bit.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:30:35 PM »
Broke my right fibula in November of 2007. Doc didn't send me to physical therapy after i was done with my casts, and my leg has never been the same since. If you haven't done or been to PT, do it.  I'm regular foot and it took several months to get enough flexibility so i wasn't quarter flipping my board on nollies and eating shit.  The thing is i always took care of my body and stretched everyday before the injury, so it was hard to deal with.  I've gotten a lot of flexibility back, but it will never be the same and i can't ollie as high as i used to.  My hip and knee also experience stiffness regardless of how much i stretch my right leg, which is every day.   

Stretch and take care of your body. If you can't get back to how you were, try to make peace with it and enjoy the fact you can still skate.  That's what i've done.  Good luck, man.
"Give it a name."

rusty knees

• Rep: -12
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a plate and two screws holding together my fibula and it's on my pusher popper foot so I hope to fuck I can get back to 100% cause I need to skate it's all I got.

this is actually a good thing, mine was too. its also your stronger leg and foot so it has that advantage when healing.
because its your pushing foot, once you start pushing again it will help alot. (I got real good at pushing switch when I couldn't use my still healing ankle)