Author Topic: New member, learning to drop in  (Read 6449 times)

dofrenzy

New member, learning to drop in
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
Hey all,

I turned 50 years old yesterday and I learned to "drop in" (sort of).  I was hoping to drop in on a quarter pipe but only worked my way up to a ramp. 

I have always wanted to drop in and tried once when I was about 15 years old but it didn't work out (I could drop in on a bike any day but not a skateboard).  So, it's always been a dream of mine, and although I count my ramp drop-in as a "real" drop-in, I won't be happy until I drop into a pipe (successfully) and also, I need to learn how to ollie.  I hope to own both of these tricks before I turn 51!!!! 

Anyway, old man alert.  I don't know anyone who skates or bikes so I feel like my only option is to crash the party here.  I hope to learn from you all and get some motivation. 

Of course, I did get some video.  I can't believe how EASY it looks.  I almost started crying as I got closer to a successful drop-in on the big ramp.  SUPER freakin' scary, but just trying to take baby steps. 

DanTheDoucher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
Re: New member, learning to drop in
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
Just gotta commit, dude.

The two drop-ins in the video weren't half bad.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Also, how big is the ramp you are hoping to drop into?
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

shit_for_brains

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
We should probably close this place down huh

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
Congratulations

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
FREE FALLIN'

dofrenzy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

Thank you for commenting Dan.  The ramp I want to drop into is the quarter pipe you see at the end of the video.  I know, it's practically the same as the big ramp.  I'll get there, I hope.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for commenting Dan.  The ramp I want to drop into is the quarter pipe you see at the end of the video.  I know, it's practically the same as the big ramp.  I'll get there, I hope.

First of all, don't pay attention to any of the people who try to get you down on this site. They do this to everybody.

Secondly, just keep practicing on the smaller shit and work your way up. Honestly, just go to the park and cruise around. Get comfortable on the board and once your balance improves it will all get a lot easier.
FUCK YOU

Suave

• Rep: -21
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
same basic body language. slap the tail on the deck, lean forward and that's it. little secret, if you can drop in on one thing, you can drop in on all things. it's just mental.
how to ollie will take a little more practice but you'll get it.
hang in there [cat stuck in a tree poster].

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
Post your drop in

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

dofrenzy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
Congratulations

This actually means a lot to me.  Thank you. 

dofrenzy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »

LOL.    Just keep your music down low and stay off my lawn and we should be OK. ;)

dofrenzy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »

First of all, don't pay attention to any of the people who try to get you down on this site. They do this to everybody.

Secondly, just keep practicing on the smaller shit and work your way up. Honestly, just go to the park and cruise around. Get comfortable on the board and once your balance improves it will all get a lot easier.

Thanks again.  No worries on the haters.  If it gets too much for me I'll leave, but I've been a member of online forums since before they were born.....crap....I just sounded like an old man.  Ya know, when I was a kid the Internet was all uphill at 9600 baud!

I appreciate the advice and I plan to commit to that quarter pipe drop in.

dofrenzy

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
same basic body language. slap the tail on the deck, lean forward and that's it. little secret, if you can drop in on one thing, you can drop in on all things. it's just mental.
how to ollie will take a little more practice but you'll get it.
hang in there [cat stuck in a tree poster].

Thank you Suave.  "Lean forward and that's it"....it doesn't seem like much but wow, what a hurdle.

bo golden

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
seriously, loosen your trucks a smidge, it will help.

Fred Savage

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
Learn how to push man. Jeez

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Definitely commit (falling forward > falling backward) and definitely wear a helmet!

dofrenzy

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »

What do you mean?

dofrenzy

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
Definitely commit (falling forward > falling backward) and definitely wear a helmet!

I never thought of it that way (falling forward being better than backward) but it does make sense.  I will keep that in mind for sure.

I am using my bike helmet right now, but there's a skate shop nearby (Civil Skateboard Shop) where I might get something more appropriate.

dofrenzy

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »
seriously, loosen your trucks a smidge, it will help.

Wow, gear advice already!  I have a Powell Peralta board I got from Amazon many years ago.  No mods, no maintenance.  It hasn't been ridden much; just a bit on the street and no tricks (yet).

I would have thought tighter trucks might help, so I am glad you checked in here.  Thank you.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
You got it! Thanks for posting.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you mean?

He means get comfortable cruising and pushing around the park before you get too involved with ramps and what-not.
FUCK YOU

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Another old guy here (43).  I'm terrified to drop in on vert.  About 8' is the highest I've ever done.  Like was said before, COMMIT!!  It's pretty scary at first when you are staring down from the top, even on a 4' ramp.  But like they said, falling forward is way better than falling backward!  You have to commit and make sure the front wheels hit.  We usually tell kids at the park that are learning how to drop in to really "stomp" it down.  Make sure you push the front down. 

Once you get over the initial fear, it will be easy.  You can do this. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

dofrenzy

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
Another old guy here (43).  I'm terrified to drop in on vert.  About 8' is the highest I've ever done.  Like was said before, COMMIT!!  It's pretty scary at first when you are staring down from the top, even on a 4' ramp.  But like they said, falling forward is way better than falling backward!  You have to commit and make sure the front wheels hit.  We usually tell kids at the park that are learning how to drop in to really "stomp" it down.  Make sure you push the front down. 

Once you get over the initial fear, it will be easy.  You can do this.

Thank you Elderly Gentleman!  Yes, I figured out the stomp yesterday (eventually).  In fact, I think a poor stomp is what puts me off balance at the beginning of the video I posted.  I was a little slow on the stomp and the back wheels started to roll forward a bit as I dropped.  I got the feeling yesterday that I want to minimize that roll.
Thanks for checking in.  It is nice to know I am not alone.

8' drop in is huge as far as I'm concerned!  Nice work.

dofrenzy

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you mean?
[close]

He means get comfortable cruising and pushing around the park before you get too involved with ramps and what-not.

Thanks for the explain.  It is excellent advice.  I know that a "drop in" was setting the bar a little high, so I was happy to get it done on the big ramp and will "learn how to push" and maybe some kick turns on the ramps (as the one other skater at the park also suggested) before I commit to a bigger drop in.  I just wanted something to show for my 50th I guess.

conqueso

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
welcome aboard good sir

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
ya definitely work on that push. the more comfortable you are pushing the more comfortable you will be in general. just work on that 

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »

U know it’s comments like those that make us all lose and therefore are not shalom. I hate this jock shit in skating, it’s so stupid. I don’t understand it from a pro perspective the most, like I’ve met enough pros where they have that mentality too and it’s kind of stupid. They limit the market and influence they have, which why would a company sponsor someone if they are gonna limit their market? Also why do companies want to limit their market by cool guying it? Like unless u have the clout of supreme with FA/Hockey u really are limiting yourself in terms of viability. The revive guys broke the code, yet have a horrible product, and some company needs to tap that market in a dope way and it’s depressing to see all these new companies try to “do it traditional” like those two, like do newer kids know their history? FA/Hockey are just world repeated, fuck all their graphics are tipoffs too. I love those guys, but if someone wants to do something revolutionary and really change the game they gotta go in the opposite direction. Personally I would rather read juicy details on the skate industry and hearing how people love things, but then don’t love things if they are exactly the same with different clothes. At the end of the day though I’m pretty juiced on a 50 year old dude who always wanted to drop in finally going for the commitment. I think every skater can relate to that, if you’ve never thought of a spot that scared you and going their on a mission to conquer it, then dare I say u have missed out on one of the greatest things skateboarding can bring you.

Shalom

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

shit_for_brains

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

U know it’s comments like those that make us all lose and therefore are not shalom. I hate this jock shit in skating, it’s so stupid. I don’t understand it from a pro perspective the most, like I’ve met enough pros where they have that mentality too and it’s kind of stupid. They limit the market and influence they have, which why would a company sponsor someone if they are gonna limit their market? Also why do companies want to limit their market by cool guying it? Like unless u have the clout of supreme with FA/Hockey u really are limiting yourself in terms of viability. The revive guys broke the code, yet have a horrible product, and some company needs to tap that market in a dope way and it’s depressing to see all these new companies try to “do it traditional” like those two, like do newer kids know their history? FA/Hockey are just world repeated, fuck all their graphics are tipoffs too. I love those guys, but if someone wants to do something revolutionary and really change the game they gotta go in the opposite direction. Personally I would rather read juicy details on the skate industry and hearing how people love things, but then don’t love things if they are exactly the same with different clothes. At the end of the day though I’m pretty juiced on a 50 year old dude who always wanted to drop in finally going for the commitment. I think every skater can relate to that, if you’ve never thought of a spot that scared you and going their on a mission to conquer it, then dare I say u have missed out on one of the greatest things skateboarding can bring you.

Shalom

What do you personally think the odds of me reading this are

somedudefromnj

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
This thread actually got me hyped. A 50 year olds first drop in is the shit I wish everyone I ever knew got to experience

to the guy saying we should close this place down- eat a dingleberry

Like someone said before get comfortable riding your board, and definitely pump the mini a bunch to get a feel for the ramp.

If its a quarter pipe and not a half pipe id say if you can drop in on one, you can pretty much drop in on them all. A rule ive always had is never put your board on the coping if you arent gonna drop in, so go to the ramp and put your board on the coping