Author Topic: "core" shoe companies stay blowing it by not sponsoring female skaters  (Read 9105 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Expand Quote
I also think we often over estimate how much Nike Addis’s cons pays their skaters.
[close]

Anyone "fully on" aka listed on the Nike/Cons/Adidas/NB#/Vans websites makes at least 6 figures, no question.
P Rod, Koston, Nyjah, Ishod, etc. are for sure making million(s).

Ishod deserves billions tho.
I can see some of the riders making 6 figures especially Nyjah but everyone listed on their sites?
That seems kind of unbelievable.
I could totally be wrong though.
Also kind of suspect that your response was a troll/sarcastic response.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Fro Doggy Dog

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lakai has Alysha Le, Osiris had a whole girl squad, and so did Globe with Gallaz. Who do you see on Emerica?
[close]

i've never seen lakai promote alysha le.

osiris ::)

gallaz doesn't exist anymore.

put stella on emerica. somebody would then be able join winkowski in the bowls at emerica demos.
[close]
Just gave some examples from the past,Lakai blows it so much she'll get hooked up by someone else soon too. Stella gets Adidas,she isn't grungy enough to be on stuck-in-the-early-2000s Emerica

thought about it some more. if it's grunge you want, put dutch skater candy jacobs on emerica. i think it's the hair and the fit of her clothes, but she's like a female version of figgy. looks like she's maybe nike flow at the moment. along with kevin baekkel, the two would make a fierce northern european contingent for emerica.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Only the return of Puffy Shoes can save the core skate brands. And they was the only reason that skateshoes got successful in late 90s. Simply shoes ever where made by sport brands and skaters used to rockin it. After 2003, when yeahright and Mosaic came out, most of the skaters started to rockin simply shoes. Nike and adidas just relaunched their classics.

Also, Janoski was the nail on the coffin.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I also think we often over estimate how much Nike Addis’s cons pays their skaters.
[close]

Anyone "fully on" aka listed on the Nike/Cons/Adidas/NB#/Vans websites makes at least 6 figures, no question.

[close]
I can see some of the riders making 6 figures especially Nyjah but everyone listed on their sites?

My dude, you're tripping if you think I am being sarcastic.
Have you seen this part?
Ishod should be the richest human on planet earth after making this.

P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

My dude, you're tripping if you think I am being sarcastic.
Have you seen this part?
Ishod should be the richest human on planet earth after making this.

Didn’t mean it about your ishod statement, I meant you could be trolling by saying anyone fully on their website makes 6 figures.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
The big 3 only sponsor girls so they can expand their market share. They are huge corporations, blah, blah, blah

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1952
Expand Quote
“If you look at what skater-owned shoe companies were making in the late ‘90s, right before Nike was able to successfully come in — these plastic and suede tanks of shoes with giant molded cupsoles and puffy tongues and all these bells and whistles — that, to me, killed the skate shoe industry more than Nike coming in,” Barrow said. “Looking at weird tech éS shoes is like looking at fourth century Rome having a decadent orgy while barbarians are at the gate… Am I supposed to feel bad for them? I’m the one that’s paying money. I’m the skateboarder here. They’re not doing me any fucking favors by making shitty shoes just because they skate.”
[close]

This is fucking naive it makes me want to vomit.
Social media has Ted's ego more inflated than a d3.

Wanna know why "core" footwear is gone? Capitalism you fucking idiot. Nike has absolutely endless capital and bought their way in--this isn't complex nor is it up for debate. It's so tiresome hearing everyone spout off their two-bit hypothesis' about why we have such limited skater-owned footwear options while never once even pondering the role of capital. That doesn't absolve core footwear from their past sins and financial fuck ups, but ultimately it's just victim blaming. These companies are basically nonexistent almost solely from the cut throat nature of capitalism and not their own undoing. Skateboarding was 100% fine without sports footwear. We did not need them. They saw a niche market and gobbled it up like they always do. When the bubble bursts, they'll be the first to leave.

Stick the museum tours Teddy.

Ok but if core companies made shoes people want to wear maybe they would do better? And maybe if core companies treated their team riders better, they would stick around a bit and give the brand an appealing image? Maybe if eS didn't lay off their whole team, including Bobby Worrest, Mike Anderson and Ben Raemers, and replace them with Kelly fucking Hart, people would give half a shit about them?

I concede that big companies and their large budgets give them an advantage, but at the end of the day markets change, and if you're not willing to adapt then you'll die like a dinosaur. I stuck with core companies up until VERY recently and I don't feel too bad about it. Most of the companies I sported had very inconsistent quality and made very few moves to actually make me excited about them as a brand. I'm the consumer, and I'll buy what I want.

Fro Doggy Dog

The big 3 only sponsor girls so they can expand their market share.

and it would be wise for the skater-owned shoe companies to start doing the same if they want to survive. i'm not asking them to sponsor women out of the goodness of their hearts. it just seems like good business at this point.

if anyone here is knowledgeable about tennis, just look to babolat as an excellent case study. growing up playing tennis, i never saw anyone play with a babolat racquet until seemingly overnight they flooded the junior market with racquets.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/38974329

Instead of spending big money to get veteran players to use their sticks, they decided to spend the money on grassroots marketing and get the rackets in the hands of the best young players...Babolat realized that if they seed the youth market and make good rackets, they will eventually get the big names that will help them achieve market share...Without any real buy-in from the mass sporting goods retailers, Babolat has made a significant dent in the business. The most serious consumers who go to tennis specialty stores now consider Babolat first.

this should be sole tech paying samarria to go to skateparks and flowing etnies to every little girl that rips.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 42
Expand Quote
The big 3 only sponsor girls so they can expand their market share.
[close]

and it would be wise for the skater-owned shoe companies to start doing the same if they want to survive. i'm not asking them to sponsor women out of the goodness of their hearts. it just seems like good business at this point.

if anyone here is knowledgeable about tennis, just look to babolat as an excellent case study. growing up playing tennis, i never saw anyone play with a babolat racquet until seemingly overnight they flooded the junior market with racquets.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/38974329

Expand Quote
Instead of spending big money to get veteran players to use their sticks, they decided to spend the money on grassroots marketing and get the rackets in the hands of the best young players...Babolat realized that if they seed the youth market and make good rackets, they will eventually get the big names that will help them achieve market share...Without any real buy-in from the mass sporting goods retailers, Babolat has made a significant dent in the business. The most serious consumers who go to tennis specialty stores now consider Babolat first.
[close]

I think this really is a smart way to go and there are some examples. Nike saw the opporotunity to flow crews like Johnny Wilson’s and get free promotion of off flow riders and now some of those guys are fully on like Cyrus and Touzery. Around the same time in general there are a lot more people in Nikes in NY than there used to be.  I think similarly, in Hufs earlier days, there were a lot of random IG flow guys in Huf classics and people in prominent crews like Bronze56k that help get brand exposure out there. People were actually buying huf classics for like a solid 2 years even though they’re somewhat garbage shoes. Lakai kind of did this too some extent via the Gx1000 guys with Yonnie, Manchild, Ben Gore for a time, James Capps etc... and I feel like as a result I did see more Lakais in the Bay Area here and there.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“If you look at what skater-owned shoe companies were making in the late ‘90s, right before Nike was able to successfully come in — these plastic and suede tanks of shoes with giant molded cupsoles and puffy tongues and all these bells and whistles — that, to me, killed the skate shoe industry more than Nike coming in,” Barrow said. “Looking at weird tech éS shoes is like looking at fourth century Rome having a decadent orgy while barbarians are at the gate… Am I supposed to feel bad for them? I’m the one that’s paying money. I’m the skateboarder here. They’re not doing me any fucking favors by making shitty shoes just because they skate.”
[close]

Wanna know why "core" footwear is gone? Capitalism you fucking idiot. Nike has absolutely endless capital and bought their way in--this isn't complex nor is it up for debate. It's so tiresome hearing everyone spout off their two-bit hypothesis' about why we have such limited skater-owned footwear options while never once even pondering the role of capital. That doesn't absolve core footwear from their past sins and financial fuck ups, but ultimately it's just victim blaming. These companies are basically nonexistent almost solely from the cut throat nature of capitalism and not their own undoing. Skateboarding was 100% fine without sports footwear. We did not need them. They saw a niche market and gobbled it up like they always do. When the bubble bursts, they'll be the first to leave.

[close]

Ok but if core companies made shoes people want to wear maybe they would do better? And maybe if core companies treated their team riders better, they would stick around a bit and give the brand an appealing image? Maybe if eS didn't lay off their whole team, including Bobby Worrest, Mike Anderson and Ben Raemers, and replace them with Kelly fucking Hart, people would give half a shit about them?

I concede that big companies and their large budgets give them an advantage, but at the end of the day markets change, and if you're not willing to adapt then you'll die like a dinosaur. I stuck with core companies up until VERY recently and I don't feel too bad about it. Most of the companies I sported had very inconsistent quality and made very few moves to actually make me excited about them as a brand. I'm the consumer, and I'll buy what I want.

Re: your first paragraph, I highlighted my original statement in regards to that.
Is what éS did fucked up? Yes.
To me, the more important question is why they had to do that in the first place.
It's because sports footwear put them in that position.

Again, we didn't need Nike, they saw an opportunity and they pillaged the market; adaptability has nothing to do with it.

edit: in fact I would argue that all the (admittedly extremely lame) collaborations Lakai has been doing is exemplary of their adaptability. You think they want to do that shit? They have to in order to broaden their market.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:04:53 PM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

bestdudever

• Rep: -14
aint gonna be no more core skate shoe brands in about ten years. like actually i care. core shoes fell off in 2000s, then fallen really dug the grave of core shoes.

bro most of these skate shoes are fucking wack, step up the style we aint 12 watchin spongebob no more buyin uggly ass lakais, yup all lakais where fuckin whack, succ it. california kinda behind the times in fashion since the 2000s too. out west is mad soft and corny.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Did no one here watch Love Child?

Adidas Gazelles

Puma Ligas

Puffy shoes were cool for a sec, but so were 38mm wheels.

Skaters always seemed to veer towards things that weren't totally meant for skateboarding. Remember when the Questionable Video came out and rugby shirts were a thing for a moment?

Hell, Neil Blender skated in Nikes waaaaay back in the day and I'd say that dude is about as core as it gets.

And the OP's point about women skaters not being seen by the "core" brands is pretty spot on.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
OFF TOPIC;

There was a good 3-4 years around 2010 where ALL i skated was Nikes Cons and NB and had a few of the Reynolds in between - When I saw the DC Tiago's its pretty much all i have skated as well as other DC cupsoles -

Point of this post is that there was a while where a lot of skate shoe brands like dc lakai emerica eS were ONLY MAKING FUCKING VULCANIZED shoes so I was heavily skating the Nike SB Koston 2s, Project BA, Cons KA2 and the NB 533- all solid cup soles that were widely available.

Im glad more brands are getting more cup soles  so i've gotten back to buying more brands
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Ted Barrow is like the Jordan Petersson if skateboarding academia and that’s not a compliment.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Re: your first paragraph, I highlighted my original statement in regards to that.
To me, the more important question is why they had to do that in the first place.

Again, we didn't need Nike, they saw an opportunity and they pillaged the market; adaptability has nothing to do with it.

edit: in fact I would argue that all the (admittedly extremely lame) collaborations Lakai has been doing is exemplary of their adaptability. You think they want to do that shit? They have to in order to broaden their market.
I don’t understand how “core” companies are victims for deciding to get involved in a capitalist venture and then failing for not giving the market what they want. They know the rules.

Also, this thread’s premise is extremely on point. Five, six years ago, you could have replaced “women” with “international” and the point would remain. “Core” brands live in the mostly straight, white, lowest-common-denominator-of-skateboarding Southern California bubble, and still refuse to acknowledge that this bubble has burst.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

soonbanned

I think just like gender inequality in general, the actual market for products used by girls in skateboarding is still, despite the illusion, a very small slice of the pie.
Nike can afford to pander to a market that almost doesn't exist.

SHIREFLIP

You can’t spell corporate without core.

(I have no valuable input.)

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I think just like gender inequality in general, the actual market for products used by girls in skateboarding is still, despite the illusion, a very small slice of the pie.
But is gender inequality a given in skateboard culture, or a result of the way the industry has been structured and how they market with their resources?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

soonbanned

Expand Quote
[close]
But is gender inequality a given in skateboard culture, or a result of the way the industry has been structured and how they market with their resources?
As far as market share? It will always be a given. And to add some anecdotal proof, we have a very nice park. Hundreds of skaters around here. How many girls are there that come to the park that can do anything more than barely push? ZERO. And our local culture is a very nurturing one, it's not a result of anything but lack of interest.

Why? Cuz it's an aggressive and potentially dangerous activity that does and will always attract far more boys than girls.

Also, still at least some percentage of female riplers are going to want the shit the highest profile pros (guys) have.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:46:37 AM by soonbanned »

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
I never have and never will wear a pair of nikes, that said, the exposure Nike and Adidas have given their women's teams and skateboarding in general has helped the skateboarding industry and community. Almost every small town has a skatepark now. That wouldn't have happened without the corporations, energy drinks and x games etc. The olympics will likely boost skating's popularity even more. Whether or not this popularity is good is another debate I guess. I like having all the skateparks as I am too old to be running from the police, but it does stifle originality. Most of these kids are really good, but they all have the same bag of tricks and it can get boring. I have gotten off topic. Core brands should definitely sponsor more female skaters.
No.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1952
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

With all due respect, I don’t buy this one bit.

They made a huge deal about shutting down only to return less than a year later. They rebranded into something that barely anybody wants, but only after soughting after “core sympathy” as an excuse to fuck over the people that stuck around in the first place. Look at Huf. What’s happening to them is unfortunate, but they’ve been very transparent about their intentions and they’re actually working with their team to make sure they’re taken care of and find new homes. Capitalism sucks, but that doesn’t mean you can’t operate fairly. Hell, even Fallen has made it a priority to get back the people who made the brand what it was in the first place. It’s dumb marketing, but hey, at least they’re trying. I bet someone out there has called Bobby Worrest a sell out for going to Nike even though he stuck with es until the end and then tried very hard to get on Huf only to be passed upon.

And regarding the “unwanted collaborations”, IE Lakai, how does that give them integrity as a skate shoe company over companies that are actually catering to their consumers? I LOVED Lakai. Then before I knew it, they became the brand known for neon colored cats, Hello Kitty shoes, and frankly racist collab commercials. They want new demographics? Fine. But they don’t get to be mad when their former demographic gets soured by them and moves on to something else. You don’t get to have both.

And to bring it full circle, in browsing Lakai’s Instagram looking for horrendous marketing plugs, most of the posts I encountered were women asking why their shoes are only sized for men. Their response? “Oh, anyone can wear them!” Yeah, no shit. Women are aware they have human feet. What an EASY accommodation to make for a potential demographic. But instead they’ll dig their ripped up heels into the ground and then women will flock to companies that will easily accommodate them.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -679
Core companies are hanging by a thread so they don't have the money to placate feminists and white knights by putting girls on.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

sms_b

Given that Skateism is distributed by Deluxe yet predominantly reps corporate interests related to acceptable and generic forms of "diversity" (AKA: palatable to the everyday consumer), their aligned interests with the corporate penetration (pun intended) of the skateboarding market runs part and parcel with the erosion of autonomy within the industry. If this wasn't driven by an ideological youth culture indoctrinated by the same basic behavioural shaping processes that Nike poached from Stacy Peralta during the 70s, I might find their point and purpose illuminating as opposed to indicative of a slow march to nothingness and unemployment once market saturation is achieved and the next uncolonized market reveals itself.

That and their print run is 10,000. I wish them luck. 

Dustwardprez

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Social media has Ted's ego is more inflated than a d3.

[close]
This.
[close]

What I find interesting about this is:

1) Ted seems to be equating style he doesn't like with the end of core companies. The D3 is ugly as balls, but it sold well. Is he upset that it sold well to none skaters (fashion rather than function) or is he upset that it was ugly and (some) skaters convinced themselves that it was good for skateboarding? I think of the JNCO jeans era where big pants were worn to "protect our ankles from the board" and the girl pants era where skinny jeans were worn because they "don't get in the way and allow us to see the board better").

2) Nike's 3rd attempt came in strong w/a ton of market research; associations with important people, shops, and companies; a ton of money to pump into the magazines (Does anyone remember Transworld Business's exposure meter? Nike's exposure via ad/editorial was off the charts); and exclusive deals that appealed to shoe heads and boosted the local shops' bottom lines.

3) Out of all the mistakes the core companies made, the D3 is not my number 1 complaint. There are plenty of other mistakes (and attempts at running their companies like corps) that lead to their downfall.

4) There is certainly an issue with the "core" not supporting women enough. However, I firmly feel this is being used as a wedge issue to break associations with the skateboarding we all know and create an opening for Olympic/Street League skateboarding who will pretend to give a shit about women. The core companies tried, but sadly as soon as they hit any economic trouble the girls sections were the first to get huge cuts.

Jenco era? Sounds like you made a lateral move from rollerblading

Fro Doggy Dog

Expand Quote
I believe Etnies (soletech) had a girl thing going on for awhile, because i knew a girl IRL who was getting free shoes from them, and was flown out to their HQ with a bunch of other girls for an event at the little park they filmed those videos of Herman in slowmotion at. Obviously they weren't putting them front and center but i guess they were trying to get something started. This would've been like 2009-10ish.
[close]

that's interesting to read. given the current state of women's skateboarding, i think etnies should try something like this again with samarria brevard as the face.

i think lakai should really go all in on allysha le. she's almost at 100k followers on instagram, is backed by dickies, already kills contests, and might be skating in the olympics. hell, she's even getting ads for kashi. and lakai is doing jack shit to promote her. they're no stranger to collabs that make you go :o, so they should be all over a kashi x lakai shoe.

from lakai's instagram stories last night:

they lurkin'.

good job though. hope to see her in an actual post soon. for now, i give you this, brought to you by one of the two women represented on your page. (the other is kylie jenner.)

soonbanned

they lurkin'.

Oh FFS. Again you see clouds, say it's gonna rain, then when it rains you say it's because you said it's gonna rain. Fucking silly.

Fro Doggy Dog

Expand Quote

they lurkin'.

[close]
Oh FFS. Again you see clouds, say it's gonna rain, then when it rains you say it's because you said it's gonna rain. Fucking silly.

fair enough.

but in my mind, this is like seeing clouds for years without any rainfall and not saying shit, then when you finally say "for fucks sake, rain already!" one drop falls from the sky. coincidence, perhaps, but it's like you said:

I won't disagree that slap does have some influence.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:12:19 AM by Fro Doggy Dog »

dissallusion

• Rep: -27
Skategirls is not interesting even to girls.

THIS. I just don't believe chicks are drawn to skateboarding as much as guys. Therefore the market is just too small to pursue and spend money doing so. And IT'S OKAY for a particular sport to be more gender specific than another. There are more women in gymnastics, ballet/dance, and equestrian pursuits. Do you think "core" companies in those categories are making a push for more men? Doubtful. Companies pursue their target demographic and there's nothing wrong with that. Corporate companies on the other hand can afford to pursue niche markets and push out the core brands by making them seem un-accepting/biased, portraying them negatively for their own benefit. Just like men don't care about getting more men into those sports; women don;t care about getting more women in skateboarding. It's all just marketing in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

rusty knees

• Rep: -11
  • I had a photo in SLAP
women don;t care about getting more women in skateboarding

100% false

seriously dude

• Rep: 19
Do people actually say "core" in the wild? I feel like that's some poser shit. If anyone actually described something as "core" to me in person I would immediately think they suck. Is it short for "hard-core"? Fuuuck. I fuckin hate that word. I'm so fucking old. Fucking internet.

But yeah, I agree. They should sponsor more female skaters.