Author Topic: "core" shoe companies stay blowing it by not sponsoring female skaters  (Read 9061 times)

Swithflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
You guys talkin about skategirl would say how many girls after 20's rocks their skateparks. Its a teen sport for them.

How many girls start skate in my local but after one year leave it. Its not about duficults and struggle, its about choices.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
I saw an all girl skate crew today. I was on the bus and saw them all at a spot and I was stoked for them. Shoes and brands don’t matter.

Fro Doggy Dog

I saw an all girl skate crew today. I was on the bus and saw them all at a spot and I was stoked for them. Shoes and brands don’t matter.

unless they're riding zoo york boards. in that case:

Good luck shaking off the mall brand stank.

SHIREFLIP

How many girls start skate in my local but after one year leave it. Its not about duficults and struggle, its about choices.

Life isn’t all duficults and struggle, man.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
I think a trend with these surviving shoe brands is they aren’t solely skate companies- they have other wide reaching programs (whether that be other sports or a casual line (Converse)). Even Etnies goes into other sports outside of skateboarding.

The only way skate-focused brands could survive is if everyone left Nike, Cons, Adidas and NB for them. At their prime, skate-focused brands thrived when Nike had 0 people on their roster and Adidas pretty much had Gonz and Busenitz. If everyone were to leave these brands, they would take a year+ financial hit but the money would ultimately come back into skate-focused brands and would readjust. I don’t see million dollar contracts being a thing with those brands but 6-figure salaries could easily be attained. Reynolds not taking the Adidas seems more like him assessing his life and understanding he’s financially “good” and doesn’t need to burn a bridge for a few extra bucks. Obviously, we all praise him for making that choice because he is essentially keeping emerica afloat.

Outside of that, as mentioned tons of times before, the marketing reach of CANN is unachievable by smaller brands. I’ve worked for two large tech companies with par/sub-par product(s) but rivals still couldn’t keep their head above water due to how aggressively these brands marketed themselves.

In regards to skateboarding, I don’t think “Core” and “financially rich” can live in the same house. Skateboarding is so big now that core brand owners are borderline philanthropic entities, lucky to break even after paying their riders. The field is so wide spread that every crumb of the pie is being accounted for. The large slices are on CANN’s plate. If Nike and Adidas start making wood and other hard goods, the whole industry will be turned upside down.

Regarding brands that should be sponsoring more women in skateboarding, yes, absolutely. Leave it to the Crail camp to not move on opportunities that could help them thrive. I think Nike and Adidas are more than happy to offer large contracts to female skateboarders because they understand how positively diversity helps a brand thrive. Outside of that, if you’re a female and starting to get into skateboarding, of course you’ll buy from a company that openly and acutely showcases their female riders. Some “core” brands are still stuck in trying to latch onto rail/stair hucking people because of decades of this being a successful business model for them.

To add to this, I would not be surprised if we see a massive surge of professional transgender men/women due to how much diversity helps brands. I definitely wouldn’t be shocked if CANN is the first to push these people into the spotlight. As much as I was to say that’s awesome, most of these pushes are simply marketing ploys to help a brand grow.

Edit(s): re reading parts of this thread and adjusted my rambling. Also, CANN is Converse, Adidas, Nike and NB.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:10:45 PM by fakie nollie »

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
Do people actually say "core" in the wild? I feel like that's some poser shit. If anyone actually described something as "core" to me in person I would immediately think they suck. Is it short for "hard-core"? Fuuuck. I fuckin hate that word. I'm so fucking old. Fucking internet.

But yeah, I agree. They should sponsor more female skaters.
the term core is short for the phrase "core values", not hardcore or corporate.

soonbanned

At their prime, skate-focused brands thrived when Nike had 0 people on their roster

There hasnt been a single minute since 1976 that Nike hasn't sponsored skateboarders. There seem to be a lot of you that refuse to accept that.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Expand Quote
At their prime, skate-focused brands thrived when Nike had 0 people on their roster

[close]
There hasnt been a single minute since 1976 that Nike hasn't sponsored skateboarders. There seem to be a lot of you that refuse to accept that.

Not to sound like a asshole but, to be an asshole about it... I genuinely did not know this, do you have any proof/ ads or team rosters of who they sponsored prior to 2001?

seriously dude

• Rep: 19
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Not to sound like a asshole but, to be an asshole about it... I genuinely did not know this, do you have any proof/ ads or team rosters of who they sponsored prior to 2001?

Choppy for sure, in like 95ish. I remember an add. And the shoe was called the Choad. It was a source of much derision for us "core-values" skaters. Even though Choppy is OG Burnside, and no one had ever used the term, it wasn't considered a very "core" move. That's the first I remember.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m interested in seeing this list as well. I had no idea they sponsored skating before their first attempted break into the scene in the 90’s

*edit*

I call bullshit. Skaters used Nikes, yes, but there don’t appear to be any sponsorships until Nike sponsored... the XGames.

https://surface.syr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context=ms_thesis

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:39:17 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
Expand Quote

[close]

u sir are a person
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

Beady

• Rep: 6
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I’d like to be enlightened with this list of Nike sponsored skaters - from ‘76 to Choad era will suffice.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
I’m sure companies like Nike employ sorry souls to guerrilla market their shit in the internet.

Between this and his feeble attemt to create the narrative that ‘Nike is the most core brand’ thread, I’m not sure if Soonbanned is one of these or  just a troll.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:06:55 AM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

soonbanned

You're all pretty ignorant on the topic apparently. No worries I will exit and you can have your little speculative circle jerk.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
Enlighten us, please.

I don’t mind being wrong, and if you provide evidence, I will genuinely apologize.

But until then, making a grandiose claim and then leaving without backing it up is bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:45:34 AM by cucktard »

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
The term core is meaningless. If you love to skate, you’ll probably skate forever. The skate products you buy means very little.

The shoe business is just that, a business, and the girl’s market is still in its infancy. When I was growing up, female skaters were rare. Skateparks were rare. Skate shoes were made in men’s sizes only, and the need to focus on women as consumers was minimal. Today things are much different, and the increasing number of female consumers caused brands to cater to their buying needs. Despite the double standard regarding skill level, most skate brands have at least one female on the team. Nike sponsors the most females. It’s dope that Elissa is getting her shine and the Gizmo vid Nike put out is sick. I’m glad that skate brands are hooking up girls who’s first love is skating, not Insta selfies and cute fits. The first skate company that sponsors Skate Moss or any of her kind, will forever kook themselves in my eyes.

Skateboarder X

Mar Dal has always and will always get Emericas. Best girl skater. Best core shoe brand. If you wanna get really really tech,  Marisa Dal Santo had last part in Stay Gold too...

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
i barely read half the first page so this might of been said but marisa dal santo had some footage in the credits of stay gold
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/skateboarder-magazine-archives/

Even in the late 70s there weren't any shoe ads, skate ads were focused on hardgoods heavily. Unless Farrah Fawcett's the first Nike SB rider...

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Fro Doggy Dog

Also, this thread’s premise is extremely on point. Five, six years ago, you could have replaced “women” with “international” and the point would remain. “Core” brands live in the mostly straight, white, lowest-common-denominator-of-skateboarding Southern California bubble, and still refuse to acknowledge that this bubble has burst.

es once had the sickest international team. more recently, the popularity of the accel in japan was one of the driving forces behind their comeback. they could have been flowing japanese female skaters shoes during all these years in anticipation of the 2020 tokyo games. and then on the 20th anniversary of menikmati, which will also be in 2020, release a video a la gizmo featuring nothing but women. womenikmati.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
Yes because forcing "diversity" instead of rewarding people based on performance isn't already enough of a problem in our country right now.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
Yes because forcing "diversity" instead of rewarding people based on performance isn't already enough of a problem in our country right now.

Yeah, god forbid an industry take steps to market themselves to THE ENTIRE OTHER HALF OF THE WORLD’S POPULATION.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Half of the people in the existing skateboard industry are rewarded not for performance, but for knowing the right people, not rocking the boat, and living in southern California. Check your selective outrage at the door, please.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, god forbid an industry take steps to market themselves to THE ENTIRE OTHER HALF OF THE WORLD’S POPULATION.
reminds me of a company a dude from high school started via The Shark Tank call Hair Ties For Guys. They didnt create a new product but rebranded an existing product and marketed it to the unserved half of the population.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
I’m not gonna go through all three pages but I’d just like to point out that many iconic “core” skate shoes throughout the years took elements wholesale from Nike/Adidas/etc designs to begin with.

Making athletic shoes is a crazy expensive business to get into. Core skate shoe brands thrived when the big corps weren’t involved. Well the corps jumped in and guess what... skateboarding isn’t really a trend. It’s still fucking going strong so these companies aren’t going to withdraw any time soon.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
i just wish more core brands actually made shoes that fit my girlfriends feet.

size 5 mens are difficult to find.. and impossible for us to find on sale for the core brands. and most of them don't even do ladies shoes... so we're left picking through the smallest sizes they have in mens. and it's not like she always wants to be wearing a dudes shoe.. it would be nice to have some more "girly" options. at this point we're basically left with DC, Vans, Nike, Adidas, Cons

as much as i want to see her skating some emericas.. its just way easier for us to find corpo shoes at a reasonable price that fit her.. and suit her style
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Fro Doggy Dog

so much vans, nike, adidas at dew tour. was never the biggest dc fan but seeing some variety is nice.