Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109281 times)

WideFeet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #630 on: January 12, 2022, 09:05:43 PM »
Y’all ever get a twin tip and really look at the board and clearly tell what side is the nose and tail?
Got an Ishod 8.5 because it was the highest in the stack and there’s clearly a nose (steeper kick on one end).
Meanwhile I hade SC board and the nose and tail were clearly defined

SC= Santa Cruz?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: January 13, 2022, 01:30:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Y’all ever get a twin tip and really look at the board and clearly tell what side is the nose and tail?
Got an Ishod 8.5 because it was the highest in the stack and there’s clearly a nose (steeper kick on one end).
[close]

SC= Santa Cruz?

I think @Xen had found the Santa Cruz "twin" was not a real twin, maybe four or more pages back.

8.25 McCoy board...

There is the 8.25 Many Hands twin tip as well.  The graphic looks symmetrical - just different colour ends.

Deck Width: 8.25" Deck Length: 32.0" Wheel Base: 14.4"

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #632 on: January 13, 2022, 06:27:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know Ishod also has some regular shaped pro-model decks too so i would double check

Got my hands on the Coogi sweater series.
It even had the sticker but the nose feels sharper. It’s weird but on feet you can tell.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #633 on: January 13, 2022, 06:43:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I know Ishod also has some regular shaped pro-model decks too so i would double check
[close]

It even had the sticker but the nose feels sharper. It’s weird but on feet you can tell.

Those 'should' be twins. Obviously boards are not manufactured to space shuttle precision and the edges are all sanded by hand so maybe the person finishing it was texting while doing that one or it was done the morning after the office Christmas party so it's a bit out of the normal tolerances! ;D

Personally, all the DLX twins I have had were all bang on twins with the measurments all bang on too (apart from the overall length of the 8.5 Ishods that are a tad shorter than advertised), I have a Foy twin on ice that is a little off though, one end is maybe 1/32" longer than the other but I'm not sure I'll be able to feel it, visually I can't.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #634 on: January 13, 2022, 07:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can check the steepness of the kicks with a smartphone. The measure app on iPhone only gives whole number precision but you can get apps that provide decimals way more than you need.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #635 on: January 13, 2022, 08:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

SC= Santa Cruz?
[close]

I think @Xen had found the Santa Cruz "twin" was not a real twin, maybe four or more pages back.

8.25 McCoy board...

There is the 8.25 Many Hands twin tip as well.  The graphic looks symmetrical - just different colour ends.

Deck Width: 8.25" Deck Length: 32.0" Wheel Base: 14.4"

It wasn't, sadly. The KICKS were the same degree of 'kick' causing it to be symmetrical in that sense, but the nose and tail were different shapes AND lengths; this was the second VX and was called a twin in a video, I think the more recent versions were supposed to be real twins (but I've not checked). I will check out another one if they make the MCcoy VX slick in a twin.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #636 on: January 13, 2022, 08:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you want an 8.25" twin witha  14.25 WB, the DW Neen is what you need.

If the Chococrob twins were 14.25, I'd bite, as I like the feel of their wood; Baker Bros always feel too mellow and a bit flexy to me.
[close]

Or the Darkroom.

8.25" wide
14.25" wheelbase
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose
32" length

https://drkrminc.com/products/rabbit-hole-symmetri-tail-skateboard-deck-8-25
[close]

That's new!

It does seem that more and more companies are getting on to the twin shapes, but I also wonder if the interest also comes when a woodshop does actually have a twin mold too, with a lot more BBS brands doing them.

I also find it very interesting to see both the top and the bottom views, as some boards like this one look fairly stubby in the kicks from the graphic side, but from the top view, the kicks actually look really pointy, so I am curious to see it in person, or at least hear what others say about it after seeing it.

[close]

From our experience, majority of the US factories dont have a templated twin tail shape like how they do for the traditional popsicle shapes. You'll have to send over a CAD drawing with your dimensions...but a lot of the smaller brands (like us) are only allowed to work with the major US factory's default shapes anyway at the moment.
[close]

Yeah the options for anyone without significant industry clout are minimal.

The more I look at that Darkroom board, the more I think it is the same as the Deathwish Neen 8.25 - same woodshop, could be the same shape, so they might have jumped on that option if it became available.

@Xen could probably double check that though, but until you have both, it is hard to gauge.

Would need both, but I'll say this: most darkrooms are VERY long, so I don't feel it is the same mold as the DW neen, even the photos look very different.

FriedEggHotSauce

• Rep: -2
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »
Have the ishod comfy twin, absolutely hate the shape. for me, the board feels way to long nose/tail is too narrow and kicks are not steep enough.

have two mccoy twins waiting to be skated and the shape seems just right from carpet boarding, I feel like the nose/tail is somewhere in between a nose and a tail, leaning more to the nose side. And as for the comment saying the santa cruz decks aren't symmetrical, I think it is symmetrical. I feel like I would immediately notice it if it wasn't symmetrical, I could be wrong though.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #638 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You can check the steepness of the kicks with a smartphone. The measure app on iPhone only gives whole number precision but you can get apps that provide decimals way more than you need.

Just did one end is 24 degrees. The other is 22.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #639 on: January 13, 2022, 06:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That definitely sounds like the normal board concave as per most I have had from BBS, not the twin concave.

Were the kicks the same size and shape, or differences there too?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #640 on: January 13, 2022, 06:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If the Chococrob twins were 14.25, I'd bite, as I like the feel of their wood; Baker Bros always feel too mellow and a bit flexy to me.
[close]

Or the Darkroom.

8.25" wide
14.25" wheelbase
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose
32" length

[close]

That's new!

It does seem that more and more companies are getting on to the twin shapes, but I also wonder if the interest also comes when a woodshop does actually have a twin mold too, with a lot more BBS brands doing them.

I also find it very interesting to see both the top and the bottom views, as some boards like this one look fairly stubby in the kicks from the graphic side, but from the top view, the kicks actually look really pointy, so I am curious to see it in person, or at least hear what others say about it after seeing it.

[close]

From our experience, majority of the US factories dont have a templated twin tail shape like how they do for the traditional popsicle shapes. You'll have to send over a CAD drawing with your dimensions...but a lot of the smaller brands (like us) are only allowed to work with the major US factory's default shapes anyway at the moment.
[close]

The more I look at that Darkroom board, the more I think it is the same as the Deathwish Neen 8.25 - same woodshop, could be the same shape, so they might have jumped on that option if it became available.

@Xen could probably double check that though, but until you have both, it is hard to gauge.

[close]

Would need both, but I'll say this: most darkrooms are VERY long, so I don't feel it is the same mold as the DW neen, even the photos look very different.

Looking at that pic, everything just looks like it works, so no wonder you like it so much.

Funny sometimes you can look at a board shape and think "Yeah that is good" or "No that just won't work" and that rarely changes if you do set it up, but I have been surprised sometimes by some of the boards I have set up for people that I didn't want or like, but then it felt really good when I skated it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #641 on: January 13, 2022, 06:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Or the Darkroom.

8.25" wide
14.25" wheelbase
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose
32" length

[close]

That's new!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Looking at that pic, everything just looks like it works, so no wonder you like it so much.

Funny sometimes you can look at a board shape and think "Yeah that is good" or "No that just won't work" and that rarely changes if you do set it up, but I have been surprised sometimes by some of the boards I have set up for people that I didn't want or like, but then it felt really good when I skated it.

It's even better gripped (same for Foy).

Have the ishod comfy twin, absolutely hate the shape. for me, the board feels way to long nose/tail is too narrow and kicks are not steep enough.

have two mccoy twins waiting to be skated and the shape seems just right from carpet boarding, I feel like the nose/tail is somewhere in between a nose and a tail, leaning more to the nose side. And as for the comment saying the santa cruz decks aren't symmetrical, I think it is symmetrical. I feel like I would immediately notice it if it wasn't symmetrical, I could be wrong though.

Which graphic on those McCoys?

This is the one I have on hand still and I can assure you it is not symmetrical. Gripped you and clearly see a defined nose and tail due to shape and length (the front kick, going by graphic orientation) is 1/4" longer; it can't be skated like a true twin, your brain will justify a tail and nose. Hopefully the more recent one truly are, but I'm not forking out to find out.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:36:26 AM by Xen »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #642 on: January 13, 2022, 09:54:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That definitely sounds like the normal board concave as per most I have had from BBS, not the twin concave.

Were the kicks the same size and shape, or differences there too?

The shape is very similar.
Mrs. Jeff saw it and was trying to figure out one end to the other.

That being said, it’s been a fun board, I try not to but I’ll occasionally spin it around looking for a nose a few times. Even if I can only tell in action and it’s easier to ignore as both of my trucks are around the same looseness.

FriedEggHotSauce

• Rep: -2
« Reply #643 on: January 18, 2022, 11:52:05 PM »

[qoute]
Which graphic on those McCoys?

This is the one I have on hand still and I can assure you it is not symmetrical. Gripped you and clearly see a defined nose and tail due to shape and length (the front kick, going by graphic orientation) is 1/4" longer; it can't be skated like a true twin, your brain will justify a tail and nose. Hopefully the more recent one truly are, but I'm not forking out to find out.

[/quote]

I got the AfterGlow and the Transcend, although one of them got sent to me warped haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: January 19, 2022, 05:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Or the Darkroom.

8.25" wide
14.25" wheelbase
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose
32" length

[close]

That's new!

[close]

Gotta read the fine print: (taken from the top of the deck)....can't be symmetrical if the nose and tail are different lengths...buyer beware!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »

Nice find (and warning) there.

The Darkroom boards I got were different dimensions to what was listed from almost all the shops I checked into after I got them - they were correct to what was on the red sticker though.

Sometimes I wonder if people working for the brand just put something in the info / promo blurb without looking at the actual boards, which is then used by the shop people, again without looking at the boards, which then causes these sorts of issues.

At least you have the Deathwish twins, others have the DLX twins and the few other companies (like Glider) who have the true twins to keep people in this thread happy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: January 19, 2022, 11:52:42 PM »

The Darkroom boards I got were different dimensions to what was listed from almost all the shops I checked into after I got them - they were correct to what was on the red sticker though.

Sometimes I wonder if people working for the brand just put something in the info / promo blurb without looking at the actual boards, which is then used by the shop people, again without looking at the boards, which then causes these sorts of issues.

At least you have the Deathwish twins, others have the DLX twins and the few other companies (like Glider) who have the true twins to keep people in this thread happy.

No idea what's going on, but not sure how anyone could read the top graphic and think that sticker (if they read it), is correct.

Based on other standard shape Darkroom 8.25s we can assume that it's the 8.25" sticker that all 8.25s get, regardless of twin kicks or not as the nose and kicks are listed the same across all 8.25s", respectively.

It's all a mess:

"Rabbit Hole Symmetri-tail"

"This deck is designed to be symmetrical on both ends (double nose shape)"

Based on the sticker:
6.5875" tail
6.875" nose

Based on the website (for the twin):
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose

So they call it a Symmetri-tail, because it's using the tail dims (short tail), but has a nose 'shape', I guess?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:01:26 AM by Xen »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: January 20, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No idea what's going on, but not sure how anyone could read the top graphic and think that sticker (if they read it), is correct.

Based on other standard shape Darkroom 8.25s we can assume that it's the 8.25" sticker that all 8.25s get, regardless of twin kicks or not as the nose and kicks are listed the same across all 8.25s", respectively.

It's all a mess:

"Rabbit Hole Symmetri-tail"

"This deck is designed to be symmetrical on both ends (double nose shape)"

Based on the sticker:
6.5875" tail
6.875" nose

Based on the website (for the twin):
6.5875" tail
6.5875" nose

So they call it a Symmetri-tail, because it's using the tail dims (short tail), but has a nose 'shape', I guess?

So that one is a twin but it ended up with the usual 8.25 sticker on it, as they don't have a specific twin sticker.

That makes sense though.

I know some other boards don't have the usual brand sticker for a shape that is not in their existing catalog - looking at DLX and Polar as two examples here.

* The boards I got with the correct dimensions to red sticker were normal shapes, from last season or so, not twins, just to make that clear too.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #648 on: January 21, 2022, 11:44:23 PM »
Thank you everyone who reached out and were interested in trying out our twin tail shape in a 8.5. They're back in stock now, reach out if you'd like to test it out for 50% off (in exchange for a review here!) DM us on IG

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: January 28, 2022, 06:32:29 AM »
https://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/delfino-ego-825-skateboard-deck

https://socalskateshop.com/Santa-Cruz-Fabiana-Delfino-Ego-Skateboard-Deck-825x3183.html#!?cc_decks=116644&c=cc_grip-tape

Deck Specs:
Width: 8.25"
Length: 31.83"
Wheelbase: 14.22"
Nose: 6.71"
Tail: 6.71"

Probably misinformation on nose and tail length as I've not see this listed as a twin anywhere.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2022, 05:26:38 PM »
New Neen 8.25" twin, coming in .25" longer @31.75 (could be a typo)

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Deathwish_Neen_Hidden_Inside_Twin_Deck/descpage-DWNHDK.html

Dan Gerous

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: February 02, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »
Is that getting a shorter wheelbase every new release?

Deck Specs:
Width: 8.5"
Length: 32"
Wheelbase: 14.28"
Nose: 6.875"
Tail: 6.875"

Dan Gerous

« Reply #653 on: February 02, 2022, 07:51:26 PM »

Deck Specs:

No, the last release was just mislabeled, in reality it had the same numbers as this new one.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: February 02, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:
[close]

No, the last release was just mislabeled, in reality it had the same numbers as this new one.

Nope.

Foy

Deck feels thick (compared to the neen), shape is very similar to the 8.25 Neen Twin (bigger, duh) more hybrid than twin tail, but closer to a nose.

W: 8.5"
L: 31.9"
WB: 14.33ish
Kicks: 6.75 (6.5 usable from plates)

Was really hoping it was shorter than it is, but it's a nice shape and the kicks are full, like the DLX twin; it doesn't feel long tho, probably due to the width and fullness of the kicks. Coming off a 32" UMA (essentially a b16, regretfully I didn't care for it) it feels stubby.

Edit: it feels like the ishod but I like these kicks/kick shapes better; feels like the 8.3 dlx tt. Didn't skate it too long, as I am pretty sure I have food poisoning :P

Feels good being back on a twin and not caring which way the board is.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #655 on: February 02, 2022, 08:16:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:
[close]

[close]

Nope.

Expand Quote
Foy

Deck feels thick (compared to the neen), shape is very similar to the 8.25 Neen Twin (bigger, duh) more hybrid than twin tail, but closer to a nose.

Was really hoping it was shorter than it is, but it's a nice shape and the kicks are full, like the DLX twin; it doesn't feel long tho, probably due to the width and fullness of the kicks. Coming off a 32" UMA (essentially a b16, regretfully I didn't care for it) it feels stubby.

Edit: it feels like the ishod but I like these kicks/kick shapes better; feels like the 8.3 dlx tt. Didn't skate it too long, as I am pretty sure I have food poisoning :P

[close]

I bought two of the previous drop (Failed Exorcism) and they were both 14.28... The 6.875 tails were true too, but measured with the tape pressed down though, 6.75 measured straight across.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #656 on: February 02, 2022, 09:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:
[close]

[close]

Nope.

Expand Quote
Foy

[close]
[close]

I bought two of the previous drop (Failed Exorcism) and they were both 14.28... The 6.875 tails were true too, but measured with the tape pressed down though, 6.75 measured straight across.

I don’t know what to tell you man my measurements were spot on flat tape measure, someone else on the form has similar measurements to me…in this thread; I don't have mine anymore to re-measure or I'd check again.

One thing is for certain Deathwish can’t get their fucking dimensions right. Makes me not want to buy them anymore.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:52:32 PM by Xen »

Dan Gerous

« Reply #657 on: February 03, 2022, 05:52:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:
[close]

[close]

Nope.

Expand Quote
Foy

[close]
[close]

[close]

I don’t know what to tell you man my measurements were spot on flat tape measure, someone else on the form has similar measurements to me…in this thread; I don't have mine anymore to re-measure or I'd check again.

One thing is for certain Deathwish can’t get their fucking dimensions right. Makes me not want to buy them anymore.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that it's weird. They could have made a running change during the first drop? Maybe they decided mid-way to just only use the shorter WB Jamie rides instead of making some specially for him and others to sell? Or it's just another exemple that shows that, as a whole, the skateboard industry has some very sloppy manufacturing tolerances.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #658 on: February 03, 2022, 08:07:34 AM »
Consistency within runs of inconsistency...batches of boards that are close enough are used due to availability probably.

"so yeah, we have a few hundred but the dimensions aren't what you spec'd out but are  'close enough' and we still have all those unused stickers from the last run :P either that or we're going to give them to 'brand-x', who is next in line."

Take the neen deck for example...while possible, did neen go, you know, that +.25" in length will really make this deck sing. It's possible, but unlikely.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:05:17 PM by Xen »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: February 03, 2022, 06:52:34 PM »
I guess when you think about it too, all this stuff is going on in places where people don't actually skate, eg the manufacturing end is just what they get told to do, so who knows if anyone is actually measuring those boards, or they just get the deck lot number that has been matched up with the sticker lot number of XXX number of units each.

When I was in the warehouse of a massive retail production, the number of times I noticed the barcode stickers we were allocated to put on the stock were incorrect to the product, then was told to use them anyway as that is what we were given to put on and not ask questions that would slow down or halt production, I felt like quality control was almost out the window.

Sure it was still the right brand and price, but things like specific colours or other info were wrong, but that appeared to be my issue, not theirs and we just had to get them on and out as soon as we could.

As was said, if someone changed the request for different length, wheelbase or whatever, they would still have those stickers to put on the boards regardless, which could mean the dimensions were incorrect, which would bug me to no end, but maybe the general public would not have a clue and just buy the board for the graphic, for the pro dude or whatever.

Either way, it is interesting that there are repeated differences in measurements on a number of threads about boards more recently.