Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 104231 times)

Wax Sniffer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -311
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1050 on: February 10, 2023, 11:40:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello twin friends. Is my assumption correct that all Ishod 8.3 twin slicks and Worrest 8.3 twin slicks are identical shapes, notwithstanding of the graphic?

I currently skate 8.3 shop blanks with the same specs as those Ishods/Worrests and also found a shop that has the BMW Ishods on sale so I figured I could stock up on those.

Who skates those, would you recommend them?
[close]

They are supposed to be. But in my experience they are not. I had an ishod 8.3 for a long time and it was really nice. But now I have a worrest one also 8.3 and it feels thin (more like a 8.25) and flatter. Also the tips seem to be a bit more pointy while the ishod was a bit more square. Both perfectly fine shapes, but I liked the ishod a lot better

This is false, that must have been an error. I've skated over 20 decks of this shape over the last 5 years and of course they're the same. The real/krooked 8.3 twin has never had square or full kicks either, that's actually a common criticism of the shape from people that prefer fuller kicks.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1051 on: February 12, 2023, 01:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What companies are currently making 8.0" Twin Tail/Nose decks??

Real (current choice)
Weekend (not a fan of the company)
Glider (not a fan)
[close]

I'm on the Welcome 8.0" twin (14.25 wb iirc) and really liking it.  BBS wood and kicks are more square than the Ishod/Worrest twin decks.
[close]

It says on Welcome site that 8'' twin has 14wb.
https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/clairvoyant-on-evil-twin-black-8-5

Weird.  I've just measured it again and it's just shy of 14.25. 

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1052 on: February 12, 2023, 01:37:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Real (current choice)
Glider (not a fan)
[close]

I'm on the Welcome 8.0" twin (14.25 wb iirc) and really liking it.  BBS wood and kicks are more square than the Ishod/Worrest twin decks.
[close]

I've the 8.5, but recently sized down; waiting on SSD sales to grab the 8.25. Love the kick shape.

Same, my 8.5 welcome has been relegated to cruising and curb duties now.  I think I'll stick with Welcome unless Primitive release a twin.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #1053 on: February 12, 2023, 02:08:25 AM »
does this make sense
Twin nose = both are 7"
Twin tail = both are max 6-3/4"? somewhere around there.. 6.5" twin seems like it would be stupidly short - surely no one makes this? i would guess these kind of boards would err on the longer size of tail in general?

I think the real 8.0 twin is 31.5, 14.3 wb and 6.55 tails. I hated it.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #1054 on: February 12, 2023, 03:26:22 AM »
I just thought of something. I know some folks rotate their wheels so they wear evenly, so shouldn’t a twin tail help your wheels last longer too since you ride it both ways? Seems like their are more pros than cons when it comes to them.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #1055 on: February 12, 2023, 05:01:55 AM »
I just thought of something. I know some folks rotate their wheels so they wear evenly, so shouldn’t a twin tail help your wheels last longer too since you ride it both ways? Seems like their are more pros than cons when it comes to them.

Absolutely. But it's still a good idea to regularly rotate your wheels. In my case, because I'm doing way more bs crooks than fs, leading to the "crook wheels" getting smaller faster.

If you're riding a twin and none of your axles are bent, rotating your wheels in a (anti-)clockwise direction is the same thing as just switching the wheels on each truck separately. So no need to remember in which way they need to be rotated

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1056 on: February 12, 2023, 01:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am using the Krooked twin board. 9.1.  It’s been a lot of fun.  Rolling on conical full 56mm.  It didn’t take long to appreciate how fun it is.
[close]

I can only find one with:
Nose: 6.75"
Tail: 6.5"
???
[close]

Yeah, I can’t find one either  :)
[close]

Maybe I’m wrong on whether it’s twin nose or twin tail, but here is the board I have setup.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/alternate-moonsmile-91-skateboard-deck/green
[close]

Pretty sure it's neither. It's just a deck with a short nose

I measured its identical

I’ve been skating it both ways switch etc trust me, it’s symmetrical
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1057 on: February 13, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Real (current choice)
Glider (not a fan)
[close]

[close]

I've the 8.5, but recently sized down; waiting on SSD sales to grab the 8.25. Love the kick shape.
[close]

Same, my 8.5 welcome has been relegated to cruising and curb duties now.  I think I'll stick with Welcome unless Primitive release a twin.

I'm waiting for that Prim Twin as well, tho I'm not sure about the small WB they usually use (14") on their 8.25s; not a big deal, would just have to switch to thunder/royal from what I'm riding now to kick that WB out a bit.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1058 on: February 13, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Real (current choice)
Glider (not a fan)
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm waiting for that Prim Twin as well, tho I'm not sure about the small WB they usually use (14") on their 8.25s; not a big deal, would just have to switch to thunder/royal from what I'm riding now to kick that WB out a bit.

Also waiting for 8” twin nose decks.  The “hybrid” and tail styles don’t look like I’ll do well on them.  The welcome looks tempting but I’ve been hating on that company (not the skaters) since Nolan and mango left. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1059 on: February 13, 2023, 09:49:55 AM »
The Welcome is the odd one out to me as I can't decide what type of kick it is 9hybrid I guess?); feels good tho.

Deathwish should take Foy's twin and make smaller sizes, and scale the WB correctly, unlike DLX.

IpathCats

« Reply #1060 on: February 13, 2023, 12:20:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello twin friends. Is my assumption correct that all Ishod 8.3 twin slicks and Worrest 8.3 twin slicks are identical shapes, notwithstanding of the graphic?

I currently skate 8.3 shop blanks with the same specs as those Ishods/Worrests and also found a shop that has the BMW Ishods on sale so I figured I could stock up on those.

[close]

They are supposed to be. But in my experience they are not. I had an ishod 8.3 for a long time and it was really nice. But now I have a worrest one also 8.3 and it feels thin (more like a 8.25) and flatter. Also the tips seem to be a bit more pointy while the ishod was a bit more square. Both perfectly fine shapes, but I liked the ishod a lot better
[close]

This is false, that must have been an error. I've skated over 20 decks of this shape over the last 5 years and of course they're the same. The real/krooked 8.3 twin has never had square or full kicks either, that's actually a common criticism of the shape from people that prefer fuller kicks.

True, and its a huge reason i love that shape. I skated the 8.5 with the fuller kicks for exactly one session and gave it away.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #1061 on: February 13, 2023, 12:30:08 PM »
What's the word on the Deathwish Foy twin? The Gator 8.5/14.25/32?

Been skating 8.38/14.25/32 boards lately. Seems it wouldn't be too much of an adjustment.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1062 on: February 13, 2023, 04:55:54 PM »

Been skating 8.38/14.25/32 boards lately. Seems it wouldn't be too much of an adjustment.

I skated one a year ago with old trucks and hated it. Set a new one up with new trucks a week or two ago and absolutely love it. I’m planning on buying multiple more as a result. Big fan.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1063 on: February 13, 2023, 07:13:53 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1064 on: February 13, 2023, 08:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated one a year ago with old trucks and hated it. Set a new one up with new trucks a week or two ago and absolutely love it. I’m planning on buying multiple more as a result. Big fan.

It's a great shape, just know that the length and WB measure just under what the official dims are.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1065 on: February 13, 2023, 10:53:00 PM »
OK so I measured the Foys.

I am European so I got metric measures but translated them to imperial - it appears that the sticker is not far from the truth:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 81 cm = 31.9"
WB = 36.25 cm = 14.27"

In comparison the Neen:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 83.1 cm = 32.7"
WB = 36.8 cm = 14.5"

Repost due to popular demand. References are to Foy and Neen 8.5 twins. There are pictures where this post came from as well.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: February 14, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »
I've had 2 Foy Exorcisms, one was def an 8.375 (not 8.5), the other was closer to the 8.46/8.5...really liked the narrower one.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1067 on: February 15, 2023, 07:04:18 AM »
Setup a Habitat Suciu Lone Wolf Twin 8.38, more of a twin nose than a tail since the kicks are very blunt (still less than FA), pretty steep (still less than FA) and long (6.75"). Paired with with Venture 5.8 Titanium w/ forged baseplates and it was a fun setup, not having a distinct nose / tail does take getting used to and I would ride the side with less wear to even it out.

The full "tail" felt good on kickflips because the wider area to pop made it more forgiving when your back foot isn't exactly in the center. The downside was steepness of the "tail" meant I had to pop a lot harder than normal to avoid ghost pop, but it did provide more yield on tricks where I wanted more height (lipslides on rails). And more room on the tail made tailslides feel more controlled, big plus for me since I love that trick.

360 flips needed more effort as well, given the steeper kick, but I've never had them consistently.

My biggest issue was finding the right truck tightness since I wanted both to have relatively similar tightness. I've been tightening my kingpin more recently for more stability before trick on taller obstacles, probably because my bushings are extremely worn in and the top ones have started to crack. And not having a distinct front (looser) truck made pinching on crooked grinds harder than normal. I couldn't tweak them and get a solid pop out when I needed to.

I'll try loosing both equally next session, failing which I'll swap both for spare I've accumulated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1068 on: February 15, 2023, 08:37:01 AM »
Heroin dropped a 9.9” symmetrical double shovel recently.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1069 on: February 15, 2023, 09:52:08 AM »
Heroin dropped a 9.9” symmetrical double shovel recently.

They dropped a few symmetrical shapes - I picked up the 8.75 symmetrical egg, might get to riding it in a few months if I get through the other deck I have on ice by then (chems twin), and will report back on both. I'm not super big and legs are old, so the 8.75 sounds like a good compromise on 149s.

TPB3333

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1070 on: February 15, 2023, 02:35:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I didn't necesarily mean that the ishod ones where blunt/square. They were pointy too, just this worrest one seems even pointier. But maybe it's where it was sitting in the press? More on top or more towards the bottom. That can alter the steepness/concave slightly and that can change a lot on your perception of a board. I also switched shoes with this deck, that might visually make it feel a bit smaller.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1071 on: February 17, 2023, 02:47:34 PM »
Anyone know why Welcome decks are so damn expensive? I kinda regret having three 8.5 Evil Twins. I like them a lot, but they’re hardish to find and cost $74 on most sites. Tactics sells them for $62, but you basically have to stalk the site to catch them.

Thinking about switching to the Ishod ones cause they’re ALWAYS in stock. My madness has been so out of control lately that I’m about to just skate the same shape for as long as possible.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1072 on: February 19, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »
Anyone know why Welcome decks are so damn expensive? I kinda regret having three 8.5 Evil Twins. I like them a lot, but they’re hardish to find and cost $74 on most sites. Tactics sells them for $62, but you basically have to stalk the site to catch them.

Thinking about switching to the Ishod ones cause they’re ALWAYS in stock. My madness has been so out of control lately that I’m about to just skate the same shape for as long as possible.
Actually, may go back to a popsicle lol. After skating my Toy Machine for months these twin tails don’t feel right. Like I think I like looking down and seeing a big nose 🥲

Also I had my front truck looser, and now I have both at the same tightness and I feel out of control. Fuck. Madness is returning.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1073 on: February 19, 2023, 05:13:29 PM »
Anyone get an Skateshop Day Ishod twintail? I got one to skate. High concave and all the dyed veneers makes it my favorite twintail DLX has made.

I loved when they didn’t make every 8.3 Ishod a slick. One of the main reason I got it to skate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1074 on: February 19, 2023, 07:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Actually, may go back to a popsicle lol. After skating my Toy Machine for months these twin tails don’t feel right. Like I think I like looking down and seeing a big nose

Also I had my front truck looser, and now I have both at the same tightness and I feel out of control. Fuck. Madness is returning.

I went back recently (8.25 real full SE), coming off the neen 8.25 twin (tiny tails/kicks) I'm liking a real nose again, krooks are so much nicer to sit on =D

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #1075 on: February 24, 2023, 11:10:26 AM »
Just got the skatedeluxe twin tail in 8.25.
The wheelbase isn't 14.25 but 14.33, just like the ishod 8.25. It's generally very similar to the dlx twin in terms of concave and fingers of flat.
It's symmetrical in terms of kick steepness and the kicks are almost exactly the same, with one being only 1mm longer. That should be good enough

There's a shiny sticker on top saying "Superply 100% canadian maple"

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1076 on: February 24, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »
I've had 2 Foy Exorcisms, one was def an 8.375 (not 8.5), the other was closer to the 8.46/8.5...really liked the narrower one.

The one I skated and hated was a Foy Exorcism. Something about it felt weird. I never measured it and it snapped in half kind of randomly after two weeks or so. It gave no indication that it was in the verge of breaking, and was the most symmetrical break I’ve ever had from a board, haha.

That said, I’m skating one of the orange gators now and I love it. It feels right. So much so that I’ve got another orange one on ice, and just bought 6 of the blue gators. I’m going pretty hard on this twin tail business for the foreseeable future right now.

We’re not going to discuss the giant stack of non-twins that are going to be sitting for the next who knows how long. I’ll get to then eventually (I hope).

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1077 on: February 28, 2023, 01:07:49 PM »
Don’t know if it was always the case, but you can now sort by twin tail in tactics when looking at decks

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1078 on: March 03, 2023, 10:34:07 AM »
Does Primitive have any twin shapes or are they planning on releasing any? Seems like with PRod riding them lately they would have some.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1079 on: March 03, 2023, 02:11:38 PM »
Does Primitive have any twin shapes or are they planning on releasing any? Seems like with PRod riding them lately they would have some.
It would be weird if that video with him setting up a TT was just bragging, and not some form of advertising. Since he’s about his paper, and TT are becoming more popular, it’s only a matter of time.

Heroin is killing it with options, and might get my money shortly if I don’t give in to getting a Huffer:
https://www.tactics.com/search/symmetrical

I wish DLX made TT slicks in an 8.18 or 8.25, but the 8.3 is good enough. Any idea why some shops are selling the latest Ishod TT slick for cheaper than the Worrest TT slick, considering they’re from the same drop?