Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109170 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1200 on: June 12, 2023, 08:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone notice their kickflips are lower and less consistent with a TT. Started skating an Ishod 8.38 and its been 3 sessions and they feel far less consistent and more likely to rocket flip.
[close]

was on this shape for a while.

With a smaller nose than normal it helps to put more of your foot on the board for kickflips.

I would just barely cover my rear two front truck bolts, and my toe would be almost to the edge of the board (size 10 shoe)

even with all that foot on the board kickflips were effortless.

really like that shape, i just wish it was a bit longer and had a longer WB.

This worked for me as well. I would flick a bit too early and primo more by over flipping or the nose would dip too soon after the catch and ninja flip/hit the ground. The nose is both pointier and notably smaller so logically your foot will leave the pocket/nose a bit sooner. This actually made Tre flips a bit easier for me. What was a big issue for me was not airfooting my nollie tricks. They were really high, but I really had to push my front foot forward and get the timing precise.

The one thing that never felt great was boosting Ollie's honestly. It sounds dumb but I have a manhole cover in front of my house and I didn't like the feeling of my front foot when it would hit the top of the nose and I would level out. It's like a slight lack of positive feedback.

It takes some adaptation and I could gladly skate one again just fine. My main problem with it was I just never skated it like a true twin and discovered that I don't care about skating a board one direction.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1201 on: June 12, 2023, 10:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
On to another twin topic, I swapped from an Ishod 8.0 twin tail to a Welcome 8.0 Twin Nose this set up... definitely a big difference in board feel, and the welcome deck feels a lot more snappy... not sure it is because of the longer kicks or what, but starting to get used to it after 2nd session... seems like I can catch kickflips in the pocket better, but might just be the new grip as well...
[close]

hmm...I can't stand twin tail but I could be willing to try a twin nose.
I'd probably still assign one side as nose and the other tail due to my truck preferences.
Are they specifically marketed as "twin nose" or is it still called a twin tail but with bigger kicks?
[close]

Crailtap also has a twin tip, an 8.25 and an 8.5. The kicks are definitely more nose-esque but sit right in the middle between nose and tail shape/size. Nice and full, but also compact and light somehow. The 8.5 was my favorite deck in the past few years.

Note the WB is only 14" tho.
[close]

Currently maining their 8.25 twin. G069 if anyone is interested. The 8.5 is the G096. Their dims are identical save for width, with 6.84” tips and a 14” wheelbase. It’s definitely a specific feel, but if you want mellow and a lot of fingers of flat, short WB and still a fuller width I can’t recommend them enough.

Honestly it feels like the 69 was made specifically for me. Pop and flip tricks felt instantly effortless, and they skate like a lighter board.
I hear you brother. I'm also a massive fan of the G069
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

krisdt17

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1202 on: June 26, 2023, 10:06:28 AM »
Currently disappointed with the Ishod 8.25 twin. It's marked IV off the press so I totally understand that it's a flat deck. But oh my... it's really flat to my liking. Unfortunately there's no physical skate shop near my place so I have to order everything online. Now I'm about to move on in pursuit of another twin tail. The only twins available is the Crob and Neen twins. I like steep kicks and deep concave. Should I get the Crob or the Neen? Response is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1203 on: June 26, 2023, 11:18:42 AM »
Currently disappointed with the Ishod 8.25 twin. It's marked IV off the press so I totally understand that it's a flat deck. But oh my... it's really flat to my liking. Unfortunately there's no physical skate shop near my place so I have to order everything online. Now I'm about to move on in pursuit of another twin tail. The only twins available is the Crob and Neen twins. I like steep kicks and deep concave. Should I get the Crob or the Neen? Response is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

I've not skated the crail, but just based of their other boards, it's going to be steeper than the Neen, which is super mellow.

Check out the Santa Cruz twins if you want steep kicks (medium/mellow concave).

The steepest and deepest (and that's not saying much) was the Welcome Evil Twin as it has the most concave (medium kicks) of all the twins I've skated; plus it's more full/square than just about anything out there sans the hab/aws (which has good concave and steepish kicks); it's just a beast tho, but might be what you are looking for if you ride big/long/long WB boards.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:27:37 PM by Xen »

krisdt17

« Reply #1204 on: June 26, 2023, 06:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've not skated the crail, but just based of their other boards, it's going to be steeper than the Neen, which is super mellow.

The steepest and deepest (and that's not saying much) was the Welcome Evil Twin as it has the most concave (medium kicks) of all the twins I've skated; plus it's more full/square than just about anything out there sans the hab/aws (which has good concave and steepish kicks); it's just a beast tho, but might be what you are looking for if you ride big/long/long WB boards.

Thanks Xen. Much appreciated. I like how you described the Evil Twin as deep concave, steep kicks and full nose is my cup of tea. But I can't go past 14.25 wheelbase. 14 is my goldilocks WB. Seems I'm going to stick with the Crob GO69. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1205 on: June 26, 2023, 10:42:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks Xen. Much appreciated. I like how you described the Evil Twin as deep concave, steep kicks and full nose is my cup of tea. But I can't go past 14.25 wheelbase. 14 is my goldilocks WB. Seems I'm going to stick with the Crob GO69.
G069 is the best shape ever, at least for me. Sucks that here in EU is hard to find.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1206 on: June 27, 2023, 12:34:04 PM »

Thought I'd post this here, two 8.38 twins, the Ishod and the Henry. Ishod is a bit longer (I measured 31.6 vs. 31.7) and a hair more wheelbase (14,29 vs. 14.37). These are my measurements, converted from metrical to imperial, make of it what you will. Shape looks pretty similar, the Ishod is probably a bit more tapered. Steepness looks similar. Haven't skated a Quasi yet so can't compare. I will report back once I set it up.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1207 on: June 27, 2023, 04:09:29 PM »
Did you measure the width? My last two “8.3” quasi twins were in fact 8.25 :/

johnficenec

• Rep: -23
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1208 on: July 08, 2023, 12:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
for what it's worth:

-started riding TT with the Ishod 8.5" peacock board but wasn't the most hyped.

-immediately switched to the Foy 8.5" gator board and enjoyed it more.

for my next deck i really wanna try the Malto/Crob G096.
[close]

The G096 has been super fun, highly recommend if it seems to fit what you'd like. The tips are really nicely shaped - Nice wide surface, but rather mellow on the kicks.

14" WB makes it compact and agile, and the flatter concave, fatter tails seems to help with my consistency.

Only thing is the mellow kicks make scooping 360 flips really weird, they really don't want to work, but I'm terrible at them anyway.... Pop Shuvs and nollies feel amazing - shit just works for me

coming back to this post to say my third G096 is coming in the mail today! might be my favorite shape ever.

has anyone who has ridden the G096 shape tried the Krooked 8.3" Bobby TT slick shape? thinking of switching it up after i burn through this G096 coming today. feel like the 14.4" WB would be too much of a step up from the 14" WB.

i ride 149's and 56 conical fulls for reference. cheers!

frtzgn95

« Reply #1209 on: July 27, 2023, 05:40:27 AM »
i bought a 8.25 mini logo deck and it is actually 8.38. i gave it to my carpender friend. he sand the nose down. now i have a 8.38 twin tail. i don't know how it works. this is my first board, i barely do ollie and shuvit. i tried pop shuvs with my foot while i am not on the board but it looks like impossible for now. we'll see.

input

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1210 on: July 27, 2023, 06:32:13 AM »

coming back to this post to say my third G096 is coming in the mail today! might be my favorite shape ever.

has anyone who has ridden the G096 shape tried the Krooked 8.3" Bobby TT slick shape? thinking of switching it up after i burn through this G096 coming today. feel like the 14.4" WB would be too much of a step up from the 14" WB.

i ride 149's and 56 conical fulls for reference. cheers!

The 8.3" bobby is the same as the Ishod 8.3" if you've ever tried one of those. I purchased a Bobby one a few months back and it had the same Twin Tail sticker on it as the Ishod, but with Ishods name crossed out and Bobby written over it  ;D

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1211 on: August 12, 2023, 07:47:24 AM »
https://www.303boards.com/collections/skateboarding/products/303-boards-orbs-twin-tail-deck-black-8-5

303 has shop decks in the twin tail shape, last I heard they were using BBS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: August 16, 2023, 07:24:12 PM »
Anyone skate or had eyes on both the Welcome Evil Twins in 8.5 and 8.25?

I have the 8.5 and the shape is fantasticles but don't want to blind buy the 8.25 and have it be diff. I insta'd like a man, no response.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1213 on: August 17, 2023, 06:42:16 AM »
i want a twin 7" nose board with the hockey shape.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1214 on: August 17, 2023, 09:16:44 AM »

I have the 8.5 and the shape is fantasticles but don't want to blind buy the 8.25 and have it be diff. I insta'd like a man, no response.

I've had an 8.5 and a couple 8.0s, but I'm now on the 8.25 after a stint on a Santa Cruz twin.  One thing's for sure, I'll be on the 8.25 for as long as they keep making them...  I feel so at home on it.  If you're looking for something just bit more trim than the 8.5 then absolutely go for the 8.25, it's the same shape with the same wheelbase.  Fucking love that bloard.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: August 17, 2023, 10:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've had an 8.5 and a couple 8.0s, but I'm now on the 8.25 after a stint on a Santa Cruz twin.  One thing's for sure, I'll be on the 8.25 for as long as they keep making them...  I feel so at home on it.  If you're looking for something just bit more trim than the 8.5 then absolutely go for the 8.25, it's the same shape with the same wheelbase.  Fucking love that bloard.

Thanks my dude! I love the kick shape, very Manderson-like (if the evil came in 8.3...man, I'd be set).

At some point some site had the 8.25wb listed as 14" so I wrote it off in favor of the 8.5.

Even the 8.5" feels trimmer than other 8.5" - does the 8.25" feel 'small' for an 8.25?

Which SC twin were you on?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 01:02:08 PM by Xen »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1216 on: August 17, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »

You training for a high ollie contest?

In truth, I would love to try this on a 8.5 x 14.25 wb
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: August 17, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »

Get the Habitat/AWS twin. Closest you'll get right now (except it's A) longer and B) long ass WB compared to FA/HKY). It's way more full/square than the images suggest.

https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/kaos-twin-8-375

7" kicks

« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 01:20:39 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: August 17, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »
Seconded on the Habitat / AWS Twins, tried a twin from another woodshop and was disappointed. Squarish kicks that aren't boxy with the only downside being their length (32.25 tip to tip).

They used a mix of BBS and China for their twins, recent Suciu ones have been BBS. BBS ones feel snappier and more "alive" than the China ones which feel stiffer, but both lasted me a good long time (5-6 weeks).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1219 on: August 17, 2023, 11:12:39 PM »
I wanna try this AWS board, but none of my trucks fit it

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1220 on: August 18, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »
Today I've found my first (weak) argument against twin tails after skating them for years...
If you crack one tail without noticing, then switch to that tail, expecting it to have great pop, then clip the flatbar, get your foot stuck under the rail while falling over it and getting completely fucked, that's not so great.

Stay safe guys, check your tails. Time for a new deck as soon as I can walk again :/
Just wanted to do a fs lipslide on a rather high rail, as I've done hundreds of times before, and the board didn't come up the way I expected. This could have been 100 times worse though, I think I just pulled a muscle.
Still twin tail for life of course

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: August 18, 2023, 09:26:09 AM »
I like the Quasi 8.38 quite a bit after a few sessions.
why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: August 18, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »

It's great, I've ridden a few, shame they are not true 8.3s anymore (they all measure under, like 8.25).

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1223 on: August 18, 2023, 01:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's great, I've ridden a few, shame they are not true 8.3s anymore (they all measure under, like 8.25).

Mine‘s a true 8.38
why come?

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1224 on: August 21, 2023, 10:32:50 AM »
Thanks my dude! I love the kick shape, very Manderson-like (if the evil came in 8.3...man, I'd be set).

At some point some site had the 8.25wb listed as 14" so I wrote it off in favor of the 8.5.

Even the 8.5" feels trimmer than other 8.5" - does the 8.25" feel 'small' for an 8.25?

I was on the McCoy 8.25 twin.  Skated it longer than any other deck I've had in the past 3 years but it started to sound dull when I got through 3+ plys.  The shape and the weird abrupt angle from flat to tail/nose just didn't do it for me, though.

I didn't subjectively notice any difference between the widths between the two, and I didn't feel like I needed to adjust or anything after I set up the Evil Twin.  The evil twin just looks better to me when looking down at it during a session.  Got another two on ice just so I don't run out between drops.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #1225 on: August 21, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »
Any one on here a fan of the G069 or G096 shapes? Interested due to the 14 in WB.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #1226 on: August 21, 2023, 10:43:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Get the Habitat/AWS twin. Closest you'll get right now (except it's A) longer and B) long ass WB compared to FA/HKY). It's way more full/square than the images suggest.

7" kicks

has anyone skated one of these AWS twins?  looks great on paper
hardly art, hardly starving

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #1227 on: August 21, 2023, 11:36:42 AM »
Any one on here a fan of the G069 or G096 shapes? Interested due to the 14 in WB.

I’ve been skating the G069 8.25 for a few years now and love it. Best shape/ dimensions imo.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1228 on: August 21, 2023, 11:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

7" kicks

[close]

Yes.

32.25" long
7" Kicks
14.375" WB

It's a BEAST. I don't know (well we do know, he's amazing) Suciu does what he does on this thing.

I hated it, just too much bloard for me.

Still waiting on that Primitive twin tail 8.125"....

Expand Quote

[close]

I was on the McCoy 8.25 twin.  Skated it longer than any other deck I've had in the past 3 years but it started to sound dull when I got through 3+ plys.  The shape and the weird abrupt angle from flat to tail/nose just didn't do it for me, though.

I didn't subjectively notice any difference between the widths between the two, and I didn't feel like I needed to adjust or anything after I set up the Evil Twin.  The evil twin just looks better to me when looking down at it during a session.  Got another two on ice just so I don't run out between drops.

SC board shapes are weird, but I like them for a week or so...yes, very abrupt kicks.

Looking down on the 8.5" evil is so nice, waiting on a Labor Day sale to nab the 8.25...tho that's gonna be tough, very few places carry it that run good sales.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:13:50 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: August 21, 2023, 06:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

7" kicks

[close]

I liked them enough to skate 5 in a row, the kicks are pretty round but not square. The length is the biggest turn off for most like Xen said, I'd pair them with a truck that pushes the wheels out a lot like a Thunder forged or Venture forged.

Going back to a 32" felt short after the Habitat / AWS twins.

Got news that the it's coming in a 8.25 and 8.5 in the same 32.25 x 14.38 dimensions later this year.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m