Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109275 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1350 on: December 08, 2023, 10:36:11 AM »
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-green-8-25-twin
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-blue-8-375-twin
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-white-8-5-twin

I'm probably the rare few who enjoys the Habitat Twin shapes, but they are now available in 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5
8.25 & 8.38 - L: 32.25, WB: 14.38
8.5 - L: 32.375, WB: 14.25, thought this was an off measurement but I just checked and it is actually that long

I'm on my last bigboyfoy twin and it's starting to get soft. Been skating bigger boards (8.5), bigger wheels (54mm) and bigger trucks (8.75") so fuck it - I bought the 8.5 habitat (was gonna bite on the 8.5 crail but can't commit to that 14" WB).

Usually I stick to twin nose or hybrids but I'm hoping the longer kicks will give me a bit more leverage popping out of stuff (especially with pop-over tricks).

Hopefully I like it now vs when I rode the 8.3 twin, just wasn't vibing with it back then as I was riding short/under 8.3 and small WB bloards.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1351 on: December 10, 2023, 01:53:29 PM »

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1352 on: December 10, 2023, 04:17:51 PM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg4127250#msg4127250

From the setup thread - 8.5 habitat apex
And is it really really 100% 14.25? I had one of the older habitat twins, expecting 14.25 and it ended up being 14.4 or something.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1353 on: December 10, 2023, 05:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
And is it really really 100% 14.25? I had one of the older habitat twins, expecting 14.25 and it ended up being 14.4 or something.

Up until recently, the only habitat twin was the 8.3 and it was always listed as 14.3x (same as it is for this recent drop).

The 8.5 measures true enough to listed manu dims (i'd argue it's a mm shorter on length, but w/e, there's always going to be some variance unless you are making your shit at DSM):

8.5 x 32.375 x 14.25 - I set it up with indys first and hated it (I dislike indy/ace on 14.25 WB boards); swapped to royals and it was spot on (they push out just a bit more than indy but less than venture, right around a thunder).

It's def longer compared to the DW Foy I was riding which was 31.875ish with short round tails vs long noses (and they are noses despite the official 'twin tail' description) on the apex (I don't have to angle so much with krooks on the apex with the longer kicks).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:56:08 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1354 on: December 10, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Up until recently, the only habitat twin was the 8.3 and it was always listed as 14.3x (same as it is for this recent drop).

The 8.5 measures true enough to listed manu dims (i'd argue it's a mm shorter on length, but w/e, there's always going to be some variance unless you are making your shit at DSM):

8.5 x 32.375 x 14.25 - I set it up with indys first and hated it (I dislike indy/ace on 14.25 WB boards); swapped to royals and it was spot on (they push out just a bit more than indy but less than venture, right around a thunder).

It's def longer compared to the DW Foy I was riding which was 31.875ish with short round tails vs long noses (and they are noses despite the official 'twin tail' description) on the apex (I don't have to angle so much with krooks on the apex with the longer kicks).

Setup a fresh 8.5 Apex just yesterday and the increased length (overall length and shortened WB) was very noticeable especially after riding the 8.38. Even on Venture Forged the kicks felt really long.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1355 on: December 10, 2023, 06:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Setup a fresh 8.5 Apex just yesterday and the increased length (overall length and shortened WB) was very noticeable especially after riding the 8.38. Even on Venture Forged the kicks felt really long.

It's weird to me they went with the longer WB on the narrower / shorter board (8.3) and vice versa on the wider longer one (8.5)....unless that's just a suciu thing since he's been riding the 8.3...the short WB with the 8.25" seems about right tho.

What trucks did you pair with it?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1356 on: December 10, 2023, 11:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's weird to me they went with the longer WB on the narrower / shorter board (8.3) and vice versa on the wider longer one (8.5)....unless that's just a suciu thing since he's been riding the 8.3...the short WB with the 8.25" seems about right tho.

What trucks did you pair with it?

Be nice if they scaled the dimension with width, 8.25 x 32 x 14.25 sounds like a good time.

Went with Venture Forged, could just be the cold start because after 20 minutes I was getting the timing, but the longer nose and tail was making flips tricky.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Micki Free

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1357 on: December 12, 2023, 06:28:22 AM »

Looks like Thank You and Toy Machine with some twin shapes now.

https://www.tactics.com/search/twin/skateboard-decks

Idk if old news but i went back a few pages and didnt see anyone else post

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1358 on: December 12, 2023, 08:34:02 AM »

That welcome looks sick! More like a twin nose(6.75). Been looking for an 8" twin to try. Also 14" WB! This is rare coming from welcome. Love the name "evil twin".
https://www.tactics.com/welcome/clairvoyant-80-evil-twin-shape-skateboard-deck/black
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1359 on: December 12, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »

Can anybody confirm that toy actually makes twins? Not gonna trust tactics on that one

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #1360 on: December 12, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Can anybody confirm that toy actually makes twins? Not gonna trust tactics on that one

Listed as symmetrical on Toy's website

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1361 on: December 12, 2023, 02:30:59 PM »

Good looks!

Thank you twin been out for a min….but it's thank you....

Now that toy machine...if the dims are true that's my next one to sample.

Micki Free

« Reply #1362 on: December 12, 2023, 04:33:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good looks!

No problem! I wonder if Daewon actually rides the twin given his truck setup is so funky.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: December 12, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good looks!

[close]

No problem! I wonder if Daewon actually rides the twin given his truck setup is so funky.

With his trucks, doubt it; just a board with his name on it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1364 on: December 12, 2023, 05:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good looks!

PS Stix so I'll pass, which other brands does PS Stix do Twins for?

I doubt Thank You is pressed at Clutch, the K mold is their standard shape. Could be Tactics recycling images.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1365 on: December 12, 2023, 06:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good looks!

[close]

PS Stix so I'll pass, which other brands does PS Stix do Twins for?

I doubt Thank You is pressed at Clutch, the K mold is their standard shape. Could be Tactics recycling images.

Not sure they do anything else twin; everything twin seems to come out of BBS (barring NHS twins which are just DSM boards; which they'd do something bigger than the 8.25" mold they use).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:20:00 AM by Xen »

Micki Free

« Reply #1366 on: December 13, 2023, 05:50:31 AM »

Whats the gripe against ps stix and clutch? Ive been on bbs wood for a while so not familiar with the others

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1367 on: December 13, 2023, 06:15:17 AM »

Whats the gripe against ps stix and clutch? Ive been on bbs wood for a while so not familiar with the others
In my experience PS lasts 2 weeks and then they became soggy. Clutch the same but that comes from day one.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 68
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #1368 on: December 13, 2023, 07:32:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That welcome looks sick! More like a twin nose(6.75). Been looking for an 8" twin to try. Also 14" WB! This is rare coming from welcome. Love the name "evil twin".
https://www.tactics.com/welcome/clairvoyant-80-evil-twin-shape-skateboard-deck/black

I skated one a few months ago and enjoyed it, however I hate the graphic and the glitter underlayer... the shape and concave was awesome, but since they can be hard to source from my local, I just skate the 8.0 Ishod twin or the shop twins they have

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1369 on: December 13, 2023, 08:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In my experience PS lasts 2 weeks and then they became soggy. Clutch the same but that comes from day one.

What he said about PS Stix, had a good time on my last Clutch deck which felt stiffer than a BBS but less than a DSM R7.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: December 13, 2023, 09:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

What he said about PS Stix, had a good time on my last Clutch deck which felt stiffer than a BBS but less than a DSM R7.

Yep, 2 weeks or so and PS sogs out...but if you are skating a lot/'every day then it's no big deal I guess...board is probably done anyway at that point.

If I remember right, clutch used to chip/razor tail easy; been a minute since I've ridden one.

Micki Free

« Reply #1371 on: December 13, 2023, 04:58:19 PM »

Good stuff, thanks yall. I actually like the mellowish kicks yet steep concave of the ishod 8.25 deck atm but maybe ill try somethin else next time

frank1175

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1372 on: December 14, 2023, 08:56:20 AM »
Hey guys, after using several Deluxe 8.3 Twins for quite a while, skating non-twin tail decks the past year, having some serious board madness along the way, it seems that a year later I am back on the Welcome 8.5" Evil Twin, it's one of the best shapes I've skated, they seem to last a long time and I am gonna try to stick with that one to get some consistency :D

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1373 on: December 14, 2023, 03:40:32 PM »
Hey guys, after using several Deluxe 8.3 Twins for quite a while, skating non-twin tail decks the past year, having some serious board madness along the way, it seems that a year later I am back on the Welcome 8.5" Evil Twin, it's one of the best shapes I've skated, they seem to last a long time and I am gonna try to stick with that one to get some consistency :D

Was it the twin shapes that Welcome are not doing in the next drop or so, someone else said?

Stock up on them while you can any which way, if you like that shape, cause you never know when you might get more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1374 on: December 14, 2023, 07:08:27 PM »
yeah was welcome...still some out there if you look hard enough...I usually buy more soon after if like the shape.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:51:41 AM by Xen »

frank1175

« Reply #1375 on: December 15, 2023, 11:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was it the twin shapes that Welcome are not doing in the next drop or so, someone else said?

Stock up on them while you can any which way, if you like that shape, cause you never know when you might get more.

Yeah, they told me somewhere in 2024. I’ve still got two on ice though 😃

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #1376 on: December 16, 2023, 12:32:33 AM »
Has anyone skated a Toy Machine twin?

https://www.tactics.com/toy-machine/bury-the-hatchet-825-symmetrical-shape-skateboard-deck

I've skated AWS, Welcome, Deathwish, Real, Santa Cruz, and Thank You twin tails but never any Tum Yeto ones. My favorites have been the Welcome, AWS, Deathwish, and Real decks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1377 on: December 16, 2023, 12:52:30 AM »

https://www.tactics.com/toy-machine/bury-the-hatchet-825-symmetrical-shape-skateboard-deck

I've skated AWS, Welcome, Deathwish, Real, Santa Cruz, and Thank You twin tails but never any Tum Yeto ones. My favorites have been the Welcome, AWS, Deathwish, and Real decks.

not yet most of us interested in twin tails just learned about it the other day; it’s next on my list!

frank1175

« Reply #1378 on: December 16, 2023, 12:59:09 AM »

another 8.25". Would like so see more 8.5" or 8.75" Twin Tail options. Would like to see an 8.5" Powell Flight deck (244 shape but symmetrical) as well

WideFeet

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1379 on: December 16, 2023, 01:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

another 8.25". Would like so see more 8.5" or 8.75" Twin Tail options. Would like to see an 8.5" Powell Flight deck (244 shape but symmetrical) as well

That Toy Machine deck he’s talking about is also available in 8.5. Don’t know if Tactics has it, but they did make them