Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 105050 times)

wax poetic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1410 on: January 01, 2024, 09:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Not a new shape but I'm liking McCrank's new Twin Tip graphic, I've swore off Crailtap decks but this could lure me back.

Also it's McCrank!
[close]

Anybody skated this shape on Indy's? I'm really curious but it feels like these kind of shapes are designed to work better on Thunders.
[close]

Skated a couple G096 (8.5 model) on Indy 149s. WB certainly felt small, but I wouldn't say cramped (i'm a short wheelbase lover tho so keep that in mind). I just kinda went wide stance and kept my feet closer to over the bolts for most tricks

Honestly, that set-up is one of my favorite in the recent past. Something about it just felt "right". Beautiful dims, strong wood that broke into a nice flexi-ness, super middle of the road concave.

FUCK i gotta buy another one now....
[close]

Is the 96 twin tail and the 69 twin nose?  I've skated a few 69's and they are my favorite shape I can remember by far.  I had commented on a crail post on the gram if they made a twin McCrank it would be all I'd buy and I really like that graphic but I need to look into the difference.  I didn't know crail had two different twins.  Also pissed it dropped right after I spent $$$ on the pop secret 69
[close]
Same shape but in 8.5
[close]

Thank you!  Would gnar if I still had pal status
[close]

I gotchoo

Thank you

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1411 on: January 01, 2024, 06:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Coming off the Foy, the DLX 8.3 twin is an easy jump, probably should have been skating these more.

Was able to see/step on the crail G096 today, wow, what a kick! the shape look amazing (and kinda big even for an 8.25...but that WB).

Those that have ridden the DLX 8.3 or even the foy, which is probably no one, how does the G096 really feel? The kicks are long compared to the foy and seemingly the DLX...is the 14" WB on it that noticeable? FWIW, the 8.25" primitives I usually skate have long kicks (tail being comparable to the G096's) and the 14" WB works just fine.
[close]

Ive actually ridden those 3 Xen and my thoughts are this..

Ive found i prefer mellow kicks but still steep concave, it just helps my flip tricks more, so the ishod/worrest decks are my fav. The foy was still mellowish kicks and slightly less concave, so it was pretty close actually behind the dlx ones. The girl twin i had definitely felt steeper with bigger kicks and mellow concave which is like the polar opposite of what i like so i struggled on it. But again thats just me. I actually pulled a Neen and tried to flatten the kicks out with my car wheel but it still didnt work for me lol.

I really like the foy, it was really mellow, but I've ridden others that were steeper (different number in the press I guess); the 14.28 WB felt fine, worrest wb feels fine (my non-twin chocolate - G057 at 15"wb feels very 'pop' heavy, don't like it).

Skated the worrest yesterday and today, it's just too narrow (it measures 8.28" so close enough)....guess I'm just an 8.5 rider these days.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1412 on: January 05, 2024, 02:42:47 PM »
Madness? What Madness...

Left to Right

DLX Slick (IV) 8.3" - Twin Tail (BBS)
Habitat 8.5" Apex Twin Nose (BBS)
Quasi 8.375" Twin Tail (BBS)
Foy 8.5" Twin Tail (BBS)
Toy Machine 8.5" Twin Nose (PS)

DLX/Foy/Quasi are pretty much the same overall shape but with slightly different kick/board lengths - Concave is damn near the same, quasi is a just a hair steeper - DLX being the longest WB @14.4, the other two at 14.25 (foy is listed at .28 but isn't). Quasi is more like an 8.28 x31.5" (vs the 8.375" x 31.75" listed. I like the Foy shape the best of the three (followed by the quasi); been riding 8.5s a lot so the DLX and quasi feel super small and cramped compared to the Foy and Habitat.

The Habitat is just a tank, big ass 7" kicks but too long @32.3", gives off longboard vibes even with a 14.25" WB. just hate it (liek the 8.375 version I rode ages ago).

Toy Machine (haven't skated will come back with thoughts).
8.5"x32"x14.25" / 6.88" kicks (but in RAILTY) 8.3875"x31.9"x14.25" / 6.75" kicks

It's is more of a traditional popsicle nose, i.e., long/rounded/full (whereas the habitat is that Sovereign Sect/Hab/AWS sorta long square shovel full); Reminds me of the Disorder board's nose I rode (and enjoyed).

It's also FLAT AS FUCK compared to any other deck, twin or not, I have on hand. Kinda excited for a flat concave (look at that above pic) and mellow kicks...little over 2 fingers of flat (so more than the others) I was going to slap indys on it but now I'm seriously considering Ventures (or even thunders).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1413 on: January 05, 2024, 07:57:40 PM »
Madness? What Madness...

Left to Right

DLX Slick (IV) 8.3" - Twin Tail (BBS)
Habitat 8.5" Apex Twin Nose (BBS)
Quasi 8.375" Twin Tail (BBS)
Foy 8.5" Twin Tail (BBS)
Toy Machine 8.5" Twin Nose (PS)

DLX/Foy/Quasi are pretty much the same overall shape but with slightly different kick/board lengths - Concave is damn near the same, quasi is a just a hair steeper - DLX being the longest WB @14.4, the other two at 14.25 (foy is listed at .28 but isn't). Quasi is more like an 8.28 x31.5" (vs the 8.375" x 31.75" listed. I like the Foy shape the best of the three (followed by the quasi); been riding 8.5s a lot so the DLX and quasi feel super small and cramped compared to the Foy and Habitat.

The Habitat is just a tank, big ass 7" kicks but too long @32.3", gives off longboard vibes even with a 14.25" WB. just hate it (liek the 8.375 version I rode ages ago).

The DW Foy looks interesting, managed to get the Quasi twin 8.38 over Xmas and I'm excited to add that to the line up. Riding the Habitat 8.5 twin now and it is beastly long, even with Venture Forged. Wish they stuck with the dimensions of the 8.25 / 8.38, or just made them in 32".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1414 on: January 05, 2024, 08:36:34 PM »
The Foy is def my fav 8.5 so far; it's super easy/comfy to skate (it measures a hair under 32 as well), it's perfectly middle of the road when it comes to concave/kicks and shape, and if actually skates more like an 8.3ish. But like the quasi and worrest the kicks do feel a bit short (but that might be the habitat talking). Does your quasi measure true?

I've ridden 4 Foys, the current one is on it's way out (but I've been skating it more directionally to make it last) with one left on ice I recently nabbed for free...should have grabbed a few since they are only available via baker bros site (at that $75 premium).

Hoping the Toy works out and they keep it in rotation (I'll grab a couple if I end up liking it).
It's also thinner/light feeling by comparison, but that's why it's gonna sog out in two weeks.

I cannot stand the Habitat twin...ideally I'd be 32"x8.5" with the longer wb and then scale down accordingly...having the 8.3 be as long but with the longer wb is just....weird...I blame Suciu. I did like the longer kicks, I felt more comfortable doing switch/fakie slappy/tricks with more kick room.

Now...149 Thunder Ti, 5.8 Venture Hollow or 149 Indy ti....with either cast hollow or forged hollow plates...leaning towards Forged thunder / indy as I don't want to push out the WB too much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 09:08:07 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #1415 on: January 06, 2024, 09:31:05 AM »
The new Ishod series is out, including the 8.75".

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #1416 on: January 06, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »
Where?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1417 on: January 06, 2024, 02:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?

Tactics has them up.

No pics on the listing, but you don't need a pic when you know it is a twin.

https://www.tactics.com/real/ishod-cat-scratch-875-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.61
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.68
NOSE (IN):   6.8
TAIL (IN):   6.8

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1418 on: January 06, 2024, 03:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

https://www.tactics.com/real/ishod-cat-scratch-875-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.75

LENGTH (IN):   32.61
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.68

NOPE

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1419 on: January 06, 2024, 06:04:48 PM »
Ordered the McCrank twin tip at 8.25". Does anyone know if the concave continues to the nose/tail, or are these completely flat? That would be a mega bummer.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1420 on: January 06, 2024, 08:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75

[close]

LENGTH (IN):   32.61
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.68

NOPE

Ha yeah, I could see some people would be stoked and others not so stoked on that upping the size, width, length and wheelbase.

Might have been best to go with a uniform length and wheelbase and just go wider, eg X, Y or Z wide, then all 32 long and 14.375 wb on all of them?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1421 on: January 08, 2024, 09:56:44 AM »
Ordered the McCrank twin tip at 8.25". Does anyone know if the concave continues to the nose/tail, or are these completely flat? That would be a mega bummer.

The board arrived today. I am devastated. This thing, although it has decent kicks and plenty concave in the middle, for some reason the concave completely stops at the tips. I mean that the nose and tail are fully flat so when the board sits on a noseslide, the entire surface of the nose touches. Otherwise, the board looks like it has an amazing shape and this ads insult to injury as I feel this would have been such a good ride. Nose/tail are perfect lengthwise (not too long or too short).

If there is anyone based in the UK who can skate this type of boards, you can PM me and I will send the board at a heavy discount. The board is fully sealed in original shrink-wrap with a girl sticker and will come with a sheet of Jessup.
Expand Quote
[close]

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1422 on: January 08, 2024, 10:01:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The board arrived today. I am devastated. This thing, although it has decent kicks and plenty concave in the middle, for some reason the concave completely stops at the tips. I mean that the nose and tail are fully flat so when the board sits on a noseslide, the entire surface of the nose touches. Otherwise, the board looks like it has an amazing shape and this ads insult to injury as I feel this would have been such a good ride. Nose/tail are perfect lengthwise (not too long or too short).

If there is anyone based in the UK who can skate this type of boards, you can PM me and I will send the board at a heavy discount. The board is fully sealed in original shrink-wrap with a girl sticker and will come with a sheet of Jessup.

I've had this deck before and didn't notice that, but something always felt off. How does the missing concave hinder your skating?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1423 on: January 08, 2024, 10:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've had this deck before and didn't notice that, but something always felt off. How does the missing concave hinder your skating?

It does not hinder the skating, just feels weird. It feels as if the tips are convex instead of concave  :)

Edit: I skated boards like this in the past and hated them. This is the first thing I check for when I buy a board at a skateshop, but I bought this one online (from a brick & mortar shop)

Edit2: To check, I place the board on a flat surface and try to rock the board as if I am trying to flip it. This board sits fully flat.
Expand Quote
[close]

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1424 on: January 08, 2024, 10:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It does not hinder the skating, just feels weird. It feels as if the tips are convex instead of concave  :)

Edit: I skated boards like this in the past and hated them. This is the first thing I check for when I buy a board at a skateshop, but I bought this one online (from a brick & mortar shop)
Well I'll start noticing it from now on. More to get mad about, but I don't think it actually bothers me. Are you doing noseslide to crook combos or something like that? I imagine that's where it would suck the most. As far as I know, all DLX (Or even all BBS?) decks have the concave on the tips.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1425 on: January 08, 2024, 10:18:42 AM »
Lots of skaters especially Pros like that really flat no concave feel. Especially crailtap boards. Old 90s boards were so flat I’m guessing that’s where they got used to it and just kept it the same.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1426 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:05 AM »
@goodatmeth   Yes, none of the BBS decks I have had came with flat tips. Recently I have seen it on Palace, Cafe, and Santa Cruz VX decks. I am not that crazy about noseslide to crook, but I can see how it might be an issue although only minor. For me it completely has to do with the feeling when I step on a tip to pop.

@Idk  I first noticed this "feature" on some very cheap boards at around the end of 2000's. Been skating since 1985 and never had this problem. I had heaps of crailtap boards that were not like this, but those were PS for sure.

Thanks both for engaging, I am gonna go crazy with the madness..
Expand Quote
[close]

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1427 on: January 08, 2024, 04:15:40 PM »
@goodatmeth   Yes, none of the BBS decks I have had came with flat tips. Recently I have seen it on Palace, Cafe, and Santa Cruz VX decks. I am not that crazy about noseslide to crook, but I can see how it might be an issue although only minor. For me it completely has to do with the feeling when I step on a tip to pop.

@Idk  I first noticed this "feature" on some very cheap boards at around the end of 2000's. Been skating since 1985 and never had this problem. I had heaps of crailtap boards that were not like this, but those were PS for sure.

This is exactly why I don't skate any other boards besides BBS, the one exception being a sample mold that was supposed to be made from a BBS board, but still felt off.

There are other woodshops and other people out there trying to make board molds with "spoon shaped" kicks, but they still don't compare to the usually comfortable "spoon shaped concave" on the kicks of BBS boards, so rather than trying to make any other board with flat faced kicks work, I know I just will not feel comfortable on them so don't try at all.

I can see this as something of a fault or even a weakness, but when it comes to skating, similar time frame to you, started mid 80s and rode a whole lot of whatever I could get my hands on in the past, the last twenty odd years, I have been really getting most comfortable on what I choose to ride, the right concave of a board being the main thing, over anything else.

Sometimes seeing a brand or even a good special on the right dimensions has been something to check, but I know if it doesn't feel right, I am not even going to set it up now - had too many, even from recently that I have tried to make work, but just ended up not enjoying it, so then pass it on to someone else or leave it in the stack of used boards maybe to come back to at some point, but really I should just let them go.

What have been your more recent boards you have skated - guessing they might have been BBS wood?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1428 on: January 08, 2024, 05:01:11 PM »
The Foy is def my fav 8.5 so far; it's super easy/comfy to skate (it measures a hair under 32 as well), it's perfectly middle of the road when it comes to concave/kicks and shape, and if actually skates more like an 8.3ish. But like the quasi and worrest the kicks do feel a bit short (but that might be the habitat talking). Does your quasi measure true?

I've ridden 4 Foys, the current one is on it's way out (but I've been skating it more directionally to make it last) with one left on ice I recently nabbed for free...should have grabbed a few since they are only available via baker bros site (at that $75 premium).

Hoping the Toy works out and they keep it in rotation (I'll grab a couple if I end up liking it).
It's also thinner/light feeling by comparison, but that's why it's gonna sog out in two weeks.

I cannot stand the Habitat twin...ideally I'd be 32"x8.5" with the longer wb and then scale down accordingly...having the 8.3 be as long but with the longer wb is just....weird...I blame Suciu. I did like the longer kicks, I felt more comfortable doing switch/fakie slappy/tricks with more kick room.

Now...149 Thunder Ti, 5.8 Venture Hollow or 149 Indy ti....with either cast hollow or forged hollow plates...leaning towards Forged thunder / indy as I don't want to push out the WB too much.

The Foy has been supplanted for the Toy.  Had to buy another toy to put on ice (they're selling out at most most places and selling at crazy prices already on ebay).

After skating so many BBS twins that are essentially the same shape (twin noses) sans the habitat twin nose, it's nice to have a thin, flat, flexi twin nose that has a regular nose shape; I love how flat it is.

Micki Free

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1429 on: January 08, 2024, 10:18:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Foy has been supplanted for the Toy.  Had to buy another toy to put on ice (they're selling out at most most places and selling at crazy prices already on ebay).

After skating so many BBS twins that are essentially the same shape (twin noses) sans the habitat twin nose, it's nice to have a thin, flat, flexi twin nose that has a regular nose shape; I love how flat it is.

I hated the habitat shape too, something about it feeling too long and narrow. Besides the concave are the kicks mellow too on the toy? Or on the steeper side.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1430 on: January 08, 2024, 10:55:08 PM »
The habitat is too long for me, I knew better as I prefer 32” down to 31.75”…

The kicks are super flat, check the pic ☝️

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1431 on: January 09, 2024, 01:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is exactly why I don't skate any other boards besides BBS, the one exception being a sample mold that was supposed to be made from a BBS board, but still felt off.

There are other woodshops and other people out there trying to make board molds with "spoon shaped" kicks, but they still don't compare to the usually comfortable "spoon shaped concave" on the kicks of BBS boards, so rather than trying to make any other board with flat faced kicks work, I know I just will not feel comfortable on them so don't try at all.

I can see this as something of a fault or even a weakness, but when it comes to skating, similar time frame to you, started mid 80s and rode a whole lot of whatever I could get my hands on in the past, the last twenty odd years, I have been really getting most comfortable on what I choose to ride, the right concave of a board being the main thing, over anything else.

Sometimes seeing a brand or even a good special on the right dimensions has been something to check, but I know if it doesn't feel right, I am not even going to set it up now - had too many, even from recently that I have tried to make work, but just ended up not enjoying it, so then pass it on to someone else or leave it in the stack of used boards maybe to come back to at some point, but really I should just let them go.

What have been your more recent boards you have skated - guessing they might have been BBS wood?

For the last 4-5 years I have been skating the Sour 8.18" (usually Daniels Spangs pro model but more recently Vincent Huhta). I am aware that Sour are pressed by HLC, and this shop makes shitty flat tipped boards but also decent ones like the one I usually ride. Other than that, During the last 5 years I have also skated Baker, Deathwish, Magenta, Girl, Chocolate. None of these decks had this flat tip issue where they feel like a cheap toys R us board.
Let me add that I like super mellow concaves, and the Sour 8.18 that I usually skate has waaaay less concave than this Girl twin. However, the Girl goes completely flat on the tips (which are also quite steeper than the Sour). I have a brand new Sour and checked them side by side.

I initially blamed the board designers, because it is much easier and lazy to design a board with flat tips Vs. a board with spoon nose and tail.
I now believe that it has to do with some manufacturing constraint (maybe cost? all China pressed decks that I have seen are flat tipped),because any product designer who repsects their work should be able to design a board with slightly spooned tips.
Expand Quote
[close]

Micki Free

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1432 on: January 09, 2024, 06:52:17 AM »
The habitat is too long for me, I knew better as I prefer 32” down to 31.75”…

The kicks are super flat, check the pic ☝️

Holy shit yea it looks like a piece of plywood!

OhioGuy

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1433 on: January 09, 2024, 09:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
$76!? Damn, prices keep going up. Feel like they were $65 last year.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1434 on: January 09, 2024, 10:15:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
[close]

They've gone up in price almost $7.50 year.

(priced from tactics; I didn't pay full price last year, got it for $66 but still)

2020 Krooked twin slick was $59.99
2023 Krooked twin slick was $82.95

Did DLX go to china to save us a few bucks? At this point only Crail is giving decent prices these days for MIC
decks.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 315
« Reply #1435 on: January 09, 2024, 10:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
[close]
[close]

(priced from tactics; I didn't pay full price last year, got it for $66 but still)

Did DLX go to china to save us a few bucks? At this point only Crail is giving decent prices these days for MIC
decks.

Crail used to... New boards are now $70 and $80 on their website.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #1436 on: January 09, 2024, 11:19:48 AM »
Still $65 for an Ishod twin from Cal Skate. I'm sure their rices will go up very soon.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1437 on: January 09, 2024, 11:24:38 AM »
Personally, I loved all the dims on Crails G096 - not sure how the mold compares to the G069 - honestly the flat concave and fingers of flat made the board work for me. 100% different than most decks I tend to like, but something just felt so perfect.

Made me realize I liked shorter WB, but 14" is def a bit tight, ultimately worked for me tho. other than a smidge longer WB, I don't think I would change anything about that board.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: January 09, 2024, 11:46:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
[close]
[close]

decks.
[close]

Crail used to... New boards are now $70 and $80 on their website.

All board co's seem to have high prices on their website, but when you go to some online retailers, the prices are lower than MSRP (Baker/DW do this was as well)..

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/search-skate.html?start=0&count=30&searchtext=girl

$60 girl decks @ SW - including the recent Sanrio collab drop
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:16:26 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1439 on: January 09, 2024, 02:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Where?
[close]

Tactics has them up.

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
[close]
[close]

decks.

The DLX boards up to 8.6 are a certain price, but anything over that, eg 8.7+ is into the higher price bracket now.

Same with wheels, to 56mm one price, then 57mm+ is the higher price.

Some shops don't pass on the price differences, but I think increasingly most have now included those higher prices for bigger boards in their normal prices.

That said, some drops seem to cost more than others too, but I don't know if the USA has any China boards, or if they will switch over to them, but on average the China made boards are significantly cheaper in all aspects.