Author Topic: Phelper's Eulogy  (Read 17552 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: Phelper's Eulogy
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2020, 11:57:06 AM »
Has anyone seen Neurosis live? I was so into them souls at zero, enemy of the sun tours.
Best show was at the Berkeley Square on two tabs of acid. My ears rang for 3 days.
I have but it honestly got to be a bummer so I left. I knew what I was in for but it turned out to be more depressing than I expected. To each their own though

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone seen Neurosis live? I was so into them souls at zero, enemy of the sun tours.
Best show was at the Berkeley Square on two tabs of acid. My ears rang for 3 days.
[close]
I have but it honestly got to be a bummer so I left. I knew what I was in for but it turned out to be more depressing than I expected. To each their own though
When I was 16 my parents enrolled me in some language arts program in Beijing China where a bunch of kids from all over the world would come and study Chinese; I went and stayed there for three months, and when you’re 16 three months seemed like an eternity. The whole thing was set up like a college, and I ended up staying in a dorm. I remember one day after class I went exploring the Beijing streets and ended up going into some random CD store and found a copy of “eye of every storm” of all things, and ended up buying it and playing the hell out of that CD my entire stay in Beijing; it was so gloomy and depressing sounding, and I loved it; it was pretty much always grey and gloomy out, so it was the perfect soundtrack for those grey and gloomy Beijing days and me just being homesick and missing my friends back in the US as well. The whole stay actually ended up being really rad though after I became more accustomed to being there; it was one of the best times of my life actually; got to explore a whole new world and meet kids from all over the world and make some really rad friends and get into some pretty crazy teenage hijinx with them as well, but I’ll always have a special place in my heart for neurosis and specifically that CD for getting me through the homesickness and those gloomy days. Even now when I listen to that CD it automatically brings me back to those times. Fuckin nostalgia.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »
Wait, people don't like latter Fugazi?

Weird.

They never put a bad record out.

The Argument was great. Even if by then you could tell they'd gone all Beatles/Spaceman 3 and Ian and Guy were definitely writing their own songs without input from the other, and probably recording their parts separately too.

Love all the loud show stories. Black Eyes is up there. Tiny pub, two drum kits, two guitars, two "singers", sometimes two bass guitars and a saxophone.

Shellac go loud as fuck too.

Also, fuck a pit.

Oh yeah, and Happy Go Licky rule forever.

As someone who grew up outside of DC and got the Dischord Box Set for Christmas when he was 14. And has listened to Fugazi's entire discography multiple times.. I can honestly say the best two Fugazi records are their last two: End Hits and the Argument

Also, I saw Black Eyes twice in High School and ended up going to their last show at the Black Cat...what a incredible Dischord Band

I also stood in front of J Masics triple amp stack without earplugs and could barely hear Murph playing drums...but that is not the loudest show I've ever been to. The loudest show ever...believe it or not was Ted Nugent opening for ZZ Top.

Nugent played so loud that when he soloed all you could hear was weird buzzing

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »
The Argument has always been my favorite Fugazi record, but I do always hear a lot of hate for that record from fans of their more punkier older stuff. There’s just this mood that I can’t really describe that comes from listening to that record that I love. I’ve always thought “Full Disclosure” would be such a good song for a part too.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
The Argument has always been my favorite Fugazi record, but I do always hear a lot of hate for that record from fans of their more punkier older stuff. There’s just this mood that I can’t really describe that comes from listening to that record that I love. I’ve always thought “Full Disclosure” would be such a good song for a part too.

The sound and vibe of The Argument is definitely unique and always stood out to me as well.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
When I was 16 my parents enrolled me in some language arts program in Beijing China where a bunch of kids from all over the world would come and study Chinese; I went and stayed there for three months, and when you’re 16 three months seemed like an eternity. The whole thing was set up like a college, and I ended up staying in a dorm. I remember one day after class I went exploring the Beijing streets and ended up going into some random CD store and found a copy of “eye of every storm” of all things, and ended up buying it and playing the hell out of that CD my entire stay in Beijing; it was so gloomy and depressing sounding, and I loved it; it was pretty much always grey and gloomy out, so it was the perfect soundtrack for those grey and gloomy Beijing days and me just being homesick and missing my friends back in the US as well. The whole stay actually ended up being really rad though after I became more accustomed to being there; it was one of the best times of my life actually; got to explore a whole new world and meet kids from all over the world and make some really rad friends and get into some pretty crazy teenage hijinx with them as well, but I’ll always have a special place in my heart for neurosis and specifically that CD for getting me through the homesickness and those gloomy days. Even now when I listen to that CD it automatically brings me back to those times. Fuckin nostalgia.
That’s cool I should give them a listen it’s been years. I liked the band it was the live show that wasn’t my thing

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »
Your gonna be crying for the gatekeeper when Nyjah takes SOTY. and when that dam wall falls...FUCK!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2020, 04:13:52 AM »
Mogwai was the loudest gig I've been to. Full wall of sound
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots