Author Topic: Phelper's Eulogy  (Read 17709 times)

Colin Robinson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
  • energy vampire
Re: Phelper's Eulogy
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
Swans is the loudest band I ever saw, and when I saw them a second time I still didn’t remember to bring earplugs. Still fucking awesome both times.

Boris, Godflesh, Sleep and Lightning Bolt were all pretty goddamn loud too.

Also this later Fugazi hate can fuck off, The Argument and End Hits are their best records.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
The Dwarves play extremely loud

Hombreezy

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
This kush is loud

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 67
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2020, 08:06:33 PM »
I saw the Jesus Lizard about two years ago at a relatively small venue and it was deafening.
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2020, 08:24:03 PM »
Dwarves and Sleep are both definitely good picks. I’m ashamed to admit this but Death Grips might be the loudest show ive ever been to...

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
Dwarves and Sleep are both definitely good picks. I’m ashamed to admit this but Death Grips might be the loudest show ive ever been to...
why are you ashamed of that?

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like Death Grips but the whole meme/fan scene is pretty cringy, sort of like Rick & Morty. I love that show but the visible fan base is pretty awful.

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
Glad he's dead and the thrasher issue about him was lame

Tryhard all over

How do you REALLY feel?  Don't hold back this time.
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2020, 09:13:37 PM »
Swans is the loudest band I ever saw, and when I saw them a second time I still didn’t remember to bring earplugs. Still fucking awesome both times.

Boris, Godflesh, Sleep and Lightning Bolt were all pretty goddamn loud too.

Also this later Fugazi hate can fuck off, The Argument and End Hits are their best records.

nah. Steady Diet of Nothing takes the cake

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -142
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:34 PM »
i saw jesus and the mary chain this summer they were somewhat loud. it was outside though. loudest shows ive ever been to were all small bands playing bars and college spaces with their regular stack set ups like we're not right in front of them. first time was sunflower bean in the middle of the day and it didnt even fit their sound! just hurt

Must have been epic!

I can attest SWANS are loud as all hell when i saw them.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »
Oh yeah Jesus and Mary Chain were hilariously loud
unreadable trap logo

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »
Has anyone seen Neurosis live? I was so into them souls at zero, enemy of the sun tours.
Best show was at the Berkeley Square on two tabs of acid. My ears rang for 3 days.

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I like Death Grips but the whole meme/fan scene is pretty cringy, sort of like Rick & Morty. I love that show but the visible fan base is pretty awful.

Every Death Grips show I've been to has had the oddest clusterfuck of an audience I've ever seen

dr. radishh

• Rep: 78
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Every Death Grips show I've been to has had the oddest clusterfuck of an audience I've ever seen

seeing them open for ministry was a hoot, i tell ya what

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2020, 10:39:33 PM »
Rose Tattoo fucking destroyed my ears one night, but I think that may have had to do with the P.A being tuned badly.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2020, 12:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

seeing them open for ministry was a hoot, i tell ya what

That’s the tour I saw them on! Seattle SODO Showbox. I ordered a whiskey coke at the opposite end of the venue and the sound was so loud it rattled half my drink out before I could pay for it haha.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2020, 02:06:57 AM »
of the bands getting mentioned in this thread i've seen

mbv
death grips
jamc
and dinosaur jr

and that's the order of their loudnesses, but it should be noted that mbv were waaaaaaaay louder than the others

i saw thurston moore touring 'the best day' and i think that was probably second loudest after mbv.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2020, 02:14:28 AM »
fuck buttons were pretty loud too

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »
I saw the Shitty Beatles play and let me tell you, it’s not just a clever name

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:53 AM »
Katharsis is the loudest experience I've ever been to. It's so loud it's hard to breathe. The waves pound your chest

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »
I saw sunn 0))) play with dead in the dirt and it was so loud I got the hiccups.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Biggiemouths

• Rep: -43
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2020, 07:24:05 AM »
Los Hechizeros band are pretty fucking loud, and they always have hot jainas @ the show

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »
this thread is so mixed and i'm confused. so:

the loudest show i've seen was eyehategod, the feedback alone was excruciating

and as for phelps, if you hate on him i honestly think you just don't get it. as many have said he obviously wasn't a saint, but you would be hard pressed to find anybody who lived and breathed skateboarding like jake did. he wasn't just a skater, he was THE skater. talented or not, he embodied the ethos that made skateboarding what it is to me and many many others. if you don't like it go suck aaron kyros dick with ya soft ass
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 70
  • energy vampire
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
Eyehategod, Death Grips and Ministry were all pretty loud when I saw them too. Not as loud as Swans though.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2322
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2020, 12:14:01 PM »
Phelps was a dick & I loved him despite that fact. He would stay at my house when traveling through my neck of Southern Oregon w/ his (then) lady. Still never managed to remember who I was when I’d see him at a session, later on down the road. Drugs are one hell of a drug, ya’ know?
Anyway... Some needlessly loud shows I’ve seen... NoMeansNo, Nuerosis, Sleep, Shellac, High On Fire, Ministry, so many ear busters over the years. I owned a nightclub for a few years & as a result, saw some painfully loud shows in my painfully “intimate” (Read: SMALL) venue.
The single loudest thing I’ve heard at a show was a sound that Front 242 would trigger, seemingly at random & in conjunction with batteries of blindingly bright lights pointed into the face of the audience, sending fans scrambling for the lobby the 1st couple/few times it happened.
Downright cruel & abusive, it made an indelible impression on me. Clearly, I loved it; I still talk about it nearly 30 years later.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:10:12 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

conqueso

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
Phelps was a dick & I loved him despite that fact. He would stay at my house when traveling through my neck of Southern Oregon w/ his (then) lady. Still never managed to remember who I was when I’d see him at a session, later on down the road. Drugs are one hell of a drug, ya’ know?
Anyway... Some needlessly loud shows I’ve seen... NoMeansNo, Nuerosis, Sleep, Shellac, High On Fire, Ministry, so many ear busters over the years. I owned a nightclub for a few years & as a result, saw some painfully loud shows in my painfully “intimate” (Read: SMALL) venue.
The single loudest thing I’ve heard at a show was a sound that Front 242 would trigger, seemingly at random & in conjunction with batteries of blindingly bright lights pointed into the face of the audience, sending fans scrambling for the lobby the 1st couple/few times it happened.
Downright cruel & abusive, it made an indelible impression on me. Clearly, I loved it; I still talk about it nearly 30 years later.

SO O is nice

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2020, 02:57:19 PM »
Maybe do your research on Jay Adams before you start tossing his name round like he's some sort of angel in comparison to Jake Phelps.

I've been lurking for years but I created an account because I can't keep this in. I just read a 29 page tribute to Jake Phelps and it has to be the most preposterous eulogy in our history:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/jake-phelps-lifetime-retrospective/

Story after story unwittingly proves that Phelps was nothing more than a grown man who was still a schoolyard bully, literally. He harassed children - CHILDREN - who he deemed to be uncool. He'd burn down their halfpipes if they didn't let him skate it, and he bragged about it. He lobbed racist insults at middle schoolers. Take a step back and let that soak in: in what world is this ok?

The biggest insult is that I'm lucky to get a 3 minute read on someone that mattered, someone like Jay Adams, Phil Shao, Kit Erickson, Shane Cross, Ray Underhill, Shogo, on and on... but Thrasher puts together this epic memorial for a lowlife half-assed skater that people tolerated because they were afraid of the pull he had in the industry.

Fuck Thrasher for putting Phelps on a pedestal and fuck every dickless skater who kowtowed to this loser. I have nothing but respect for the tiny handful of skaters (Pepper, Rowley, etc.) that stood up to him, because they were more concerned about their integrity than getting their picture in a magazine. Everyone else should be ashamed of themselves.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been lurking for years but I created an account because I can't keep this in. I just read a 29 page tribute to Jake Phelps and it has to be the most preposterous eulogy in our history:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/jake-phelps-lifetime-retrospective/

Story after story unwittingly proves that Phelps was nothing more than a grown man who was still a schoolyard bully, literally. He harassed children - CHILDREN - who he deemed to be uncool. He'd burn down their halfpipes if they didn't let him skate it, and he bragged about it. He lobbed racist insults at middle schoolers. Take a step back and let that soak in: in what world is this ok?

The biggest insult is that I'm lucky to get a 3 minute read on someone that mattered, someone like Jay Adams, Phil Shao, Kit Erickson, Shane Cross, Ray Underhill, Shogo, on and on... but Thrasher puts together this epic memorial for a lowlife half-assed skater that people tolerated because they were afraid of the pull he had in the industry.

Fuck Thrasher for putting Phelps on a pedestal and fuck every dickless skater who kowtowed to this loser. I have nothing but respect for the tiny handful of skaters (Pepper, Rowley, etc.) that stood up to him, because they were more concerned about their integrity than getting their picture in a magazine. Everyone else should be ashamed of themselves.
[close]

I think the burning down a half pipe story was something he did once while he was young and was in school and that was it

Also, if you're gonna name off Jay Adams for people that have passed, there have been plenty of stories of him doing shitty things (significantly worse than Phelps) completely regardless of the impact he had in skateboarding so he might not be your best example to list out

this tho adams was a homophone and a murderer, phelps was just a dick. either way pretty messed up to disrespect the dead like this.

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
If you don't like him - don't look at/listen to him. It's not like he's personally terrorising your fucking computer.