Author Topic: Phelper's Eulogy  (Read 17710 times)

Rick_Kane

Re: Phelper's Eulogy
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »
How did this turn into an "Ian MacKaye won't let kids mosh" thread? I feel like I'm back in 6th grade.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »

Chet was the worst and deserved to be turned into a turd. And leave Lisa out of this.

Yonnycage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -109
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
I just wanna know how the fuck Phelps got broken the fuck off all those times and managed to pay for the hospital bills. Someone tell me the secret and I’LL be the next Phelps rolling into what the fuck ever and suffering the consequences but getting outta the hospital with no worries and screaming nonsense at everyone all the while. What the fuck.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
My advice for anyone seeing Dinosaur Jr is to stay out of the direct line of J. You can't hear shit otherwise. Just J. No vox really, hardly any drums and Lou's majesty is totally lost. Always stand in front of Lou.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
i saw jesus and the mary chain this summer they were somewhat loud. it was outside though. loudest shows ive ever been to were all small bands playing bars and college spaces with their regular stack set ups like we're not right in front of them. first time was sunflower bean in the middle of the day and it didnt even fit their sound! just hurt
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

dr. radishh

• Rep: 78
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Lightning Bolt when they used to play on the floor in small clubs. The bass rig was something like 3,000 watts. My skin felt loose after I saw them the first time and I could barely hear for 2 days.
[close]

The absurd mixture of that garbage pile of too-loud amps and the fact that they set up on the floor and play.

I stuffed a cigarette receipt in my ears to perservere three feet from the drums. I can't hear anything higher than James Earl Jones but they played '13 Monsters' twice because my friend was too loud and drunk to notice they opened with it.

easily one of my favorite live acts ever. they played on the 7th or 8th or 9th floor of a run down building in baltimore. couldn’t believe the place was still standing when it ended

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
What's the deal with these bands playing so incredibly, remarkably loud anyways? I love music and consider myself somewhat of an audiophile.  I love hearing music played loud over PA and car audio sound systems and bass that shakes buildings.  But I don't get the "playing so loud that it stops making sense, since my ears and brain can't possibly process what the fuck I'm hearing outside the wall of distortion", thing.  Leaving me in the dilemma of choosing between losing one of my most prized senses or stuffing a foreign object (cigarette butts I think one guy said) in my ears as a protective measure, only to miss out on 92% of the notes and frequencies being played.  It just seems like nobody really wins with it THAT loud.  But what the fuck do I know?
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »
I just wanna know how the fuck Phelps got broken the fuck off all those times and managed to pay for the hospital bills. Someone tell me the secret and I’LL be the next Phelps rolling into what the fuck ever and suffering the consequences but getting outta the hospital with no worries and screaming nonsense at everyone all the while. What the fuck.

He had a full time job as the editor of a fairly large publication that makes millions off merchandising...

Not exactly rocket science to figure out how he had enough money for health insurance.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone check out pailhead ? Ian with the Al Jorgensen
[close]

Great fucking EP.

Loudest show I ever saw was Dinosaur Jr. Once again as everyone else mentioned, painfully loud. Painfully loud to the point that sometimes I stuck my fingers in my ears. I respected their loudness. Until Lou Barlow screamed into the microphone inbetween songs for no reason.

This was 10 years ago only. Just googled the show to find out the date and the title for the article I found was "Earplugs Mandatory: Dinosaur Jr. Head Out Across North America, Play Pile of Canadian Dates."
[close]
Seen Dinosaur Jr five times and they are unbelievably loud. I fucking love it. They'd take the trophy for loudest show attended had I not had the opportunity to see My Bloody Valentine last year... bought earplugs specifically for the occasion and even while wearing them, the band was still deafening. The show was so intense, I walked outside afterwards and immediately threw up. 10/10 would see again.
[close]
MBV is without a doubt the loudest show, and I can't think of anyone else that was even close.  It's like a physical force.
[close]

Physical force is a good term.

I've seen Dinosaur Jr. a pile of times and they're definitely up there. Swans are deafening but the two bands that stepped to a whole new level were Sunn O))) and The Body. Sunn was more a band that I physically felt and The Body actually shook the building visibly from outside. It's not always my thing but it's integral for some bands.

Goddamn I'd kill to see the Body. Saw Sunn O))), wasn't as loud as I thought it'd be. I could see Gira being loud just to literally hurt people. I saw Neurosis awhile back and that was loud. My clothes were rustling like I was standing in a strong breeze. Oh, and Meek is Murder were fucking loud but then again I saw them in a living room size venue

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've never met Jake, so I can't speak to his character, but I guess he's always struck me as the type of guy to really hype up a session and bring out the best in people, also,  sort of like skateboarding's big brother.  The one that stuffs your head in a toilet and gives you wedgies.

If this was Weird Science, Phelps would be Chet.  Now, Chet's approach to things may have seemed abrasive to some, but let's ask ourselves, did it make him a bad person?  What I see, is a guy who runs a tight ship and has no tolerance for slackers.  He's rough on Wyatt because he cares about him and wants to help motivate him.  He cares about the strength of his family and its standing in the community and he knows that Wyatt is the weak link.  At the end of the day, Chet is only out to protect his little brother, his grandparents, and the integrity of his home.  Should he be strung up or paraded through town with his head on the end of a spear because his approach was controversial?  It's pretty clear to me that he was coming from a place of genuine caring and good intention and I say for that, he should be given the benefit of the doubt.  Was he an Angel?  Of course not, but who among us is?
[close]

Phelps would be Lisa. She pushes them both, with both positive and negative reinforcement. Makes them confront a bunch of 10/10's at a party and after she helped the boys become men, she returns to Shermer High School to teach self esteem to the whole boy's gym class while Chet becomes a turd.
[close]

Huh, I hadn't considered the Lisa as  Phelps angle, but you do make some good points.  Perhaps it's two different approaches to the same problem and both have the boys best interests at heart.  I still think Chet is the better fit though.

The main reason is Lisa's intentions were never questioned, misinterpreted, or chalked up to her just being mean spirited.  We always knew that she intended to make men of the boys and that all would benefit accordingly. 

In Chet's case, he's misunderstood from the start.  We see him as being motivated only by the power of being the Alpha Male, when in fact, his motivations are coming from a higher place that Wyatt and Gary (and some here on slap) as children, have not grown to comprehend yet.

That's why it is so unfortunate that Chet was turned into a turd at the end.  I think it sends the wrong message about personal responsibility and doesn't give credit to Chet's integrity.

If anything, Lisa should have taken the high road and gotten Chet laid to mellow him out a little.  Should have found a chick (or dude, wouldn't that have made an interesting twist) at the party that matched his intensity.  After they worked one out, Chet would emerge a new man, smiling, give Wyatt a giant bear hug, and say "I Love You, Bro" as he stuffs him head first into a trash can.

I WILL NOT:  Agree that Chet deserved to be turned into a turd.

I WILL NOT:  Be lured into besmirching Phelps over some things he may or may not have done or said to get people a little butt hurt, here and there. 

It's not like like Phelps was Ian or Max in Weird Science, where they were only motivated by the pleasure they took in humiliating the boys.  Although, for some people, it sounds like he may have dumped one too many milkshakes over someone's head and rightfully "lost the girl" to his antics.

We should meet in Chicago and have some coffee and really get into this. It could be quite fun.

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »
Wait, people don't like latter Fugazi?

Weird.

They never put a bad record out.

The Argument was great. Even if by then you could tell they'd gone all Beatles/Spaceman 3 and Ian and Guy were definitely writing their own songs without input from the other, and probably recording their parts separately too.

Love all the loud show stories. Black Eyes is up there. Tiny pub, two drum kits, two guitars, two "singers", sometimes two bass guitars and a saxophone.

Shellac go loud as fuck too.

Also, fuck a pit.

Oh yeah, and Happy Go Licky rule forever.

Reese

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Glad he's dead and the thrasher issue about him was lame

Tryhard all over

thefriscokid

• Rep: 8
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
Fuck anyone who thinks Phelps is wack or any bullshit like that
Phelps was authentic, and he didnt give a fuck about what you thought. He mightve been a little gruff but only if you earned it and otherwise he was a class act

Ill miss seeing him around potrero, everyone is so similar these days its almost as if people dont have personalities, everyones soft and bland especially san francisco. fuck yall talking about someone you dont know

long live thrasher
two times

Skeeter

• Rep: 8
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »
The OP of this thread should have got bullied more as a kid. Would have toughened him up a bit.
We don't take kindly to scooter kids in these parts

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:12 PM »
Fuck anyone who thinks Phelps is wack or any bullshit like that
Phelps was authentic, and he didnt give a fuck about what you thought. He mightve been a little gruff but only if you earned it and otherwise he was a class act

Ill miss seeing him around potrero, everyone is so similar these days its almost as if people dont have personalities, everyones soft and bland especially san francisco. fuck yall talking about someone you dont know

long live thrasher

phelps probably thought you were a kook

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2019, 05:20:51 AM »
Everyone else should be ashamed of themselves.

Damn even in the grave phelps has posers mad

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've never met Jake, so I can't speak to his character, but I guess he's always struck me as the type of guy to really hype up a session and bring out the best in people, also,  sort of like skateboarding's big brother.  The one that stuffs your head in a toilet and gives you wedgies.

If this was Weird Science, Phelps would be Chet.  Now, Chet's approach to things may have seemed abrasive to some, but let's ask ourselves, did it make him a bad person?  What I see, is a guy who runs a tight ship and has no tolerance for slackers.  He's rough on Wyatt because he cares about him and wants to help motivate him.  He cares about the strength of his family and its standing in the community and he knows that Wyatt is the weak link.  At the end of the day, Chet is only out to protect his little brother, his grandparents, and the integrity of his home.  Should he be strung up or paraded through town with his head on the end of a spear because his approach was controversial?  It's pretty clear to me that he was coming from a place of genuine caring and good intention and I say for that, he should be given the benefit of the doubt.  Was he an Angel?  Of course not, but who among us is?
[close]

Phelps would be Lisa. She pushes them both, with both positive and negative reinforcement. Makes them confront a bunch of 10/10's at a party and after she helped the boys become men, she returns to Shermer High School to teach self esteem to the whole boy's gym class while Chet becomes a turd.
[close]

Huh, I hadn't considered the Lisa as  Phelps angle, but you do make some good points.  Perhaps it's two different approaches to the same problem and both have the boys best interests at heart.  I still think Chet is the better fit though.

The main reason is Lisa's intentions were never questioned, misinterpreted, or chalked up to her just being mean spirited.  We always knew that she intended to make men of the boys and that all would benefit accordingly. 

In Chet's case, he's misunderstood from the start.  We see him as being motivated only by the power of being the Alpha Male, when in fact, his motivations are coming from a higher place that Wyatt and Gary (and some here on slap) as children, have not grown to comprehend yet.

That's why it is so unfortunate that Chet was turned into a turd at the end.  I think it sends the wrong message about personal responsibility and doesn't give credit to Chet's integrity.

If anything, Lisa should have taken the high road and gotten Chet laid to mellow him out a little.  Should have found a chick (or dude, wouldn't that have made an interesting twist) at the party that matched his intensity.  After they worked one out, Chet would emerge a new man, smiling, give Wyatt a giant bear hug, and say "I Love You, Bro" as he stuffs him head first into a trash can.

I WILL NOT:  Be lured into besmirching Phelps over some things he may or may not have done or said to get people a little butt hurt, here and there. 

It's not like like Phelps was Ian or Max in Weird Science, where they were only motivated by the pleasure they took in humiliating the boys.  Although, for some people, it sounds like he may have dumped one too many milkshakes over someone's head and rightfully "lost the girl" to his antics.
[close]

We should meet in Chicago and have some coffee and really get into this. It could be quite fun.

Absolutely.  Just curious, why Chicago?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Because it's where this wonderful timeless saga took place my guy! We could hit up that bar. Cause I was crazy insane for this girl!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great fucking EP.

Loudest show I ever saw was Dinosaur Jr. Once again as everyone else mentioned, painfully loud. Painfully loud to the point that sometimes I stuck my fingers in my ears. I respected their loudness. Until Lou Barlow screamed into the microphone inbetween songs for no reason.

This was 10 years ago only. Just googled the show to find out the date and the title for the article I found was "Earplugs Mandatory: Dinosaur Jr. Head Out Across North America, Play Pile of Canadian Dates."
[close]
Seen Dinosaur Jr five times and they are unbelievably loud. I fucking love it. They'd take the trophy for loudest show attended had I not had the opportunity to see My Bloody Valentine last year... bought earplugs specifically for the occasion and even while wearing them, the band was still deafening. The show was so intense, I walked outside afterwards and immediately threw up. 10/10 would see again.
I still have my Dinosaur branded earplugs that I got at one of their shows. This was the Mike Johnson era when they were playing pretty large size venues and it was still loud as hell. I wore the plugs half the time since I had them so I can't say it was the loudest show I've ever been too. I think oddly enough Link Wray wins that contest.
unreadable trap logo

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Because it's where this wonderful timeless saga took place my guy! We could hit up that bar. Cause I was crazy insane for this girl!

Duh!  How the hell did I miss that one?  I tell ya, some Weird Science buff I am, haha.  That would definitely be awesome, though.  Lisa was super hot, but honestly, it was dear old Granny that I was crazy insane for, like, purely sexual though.  Always pictured her shining up the ol' family jewels, nahmsayin?
 Unfortunately, the chances of me being anywhere near Chi-Town to chop this up any time soon sit somewhere between slim and nil.  Rain check?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great fucking EP.

[close]
[close]
MBV is without a doubt the loudest show, and I can't think of anyone else that was even close.  It's like a physical force.
[close]

Physical force is a good term.

I've seen Dinosaur Jr. a pile of times and they're definitely up there. Swans are deafening but the two bands that stepped to a whole new level were Sunn O))) and The Body. Sunn was more a band that I physically felt and The Body actually shook the building visibly from outside. It's not always my thing but it's integral for some bands.
I saw Beach House at the Fillmore in SF and it was really really fucking loud. Probably the loudest show I've ever been to. My teeth were vibrating. I had to step back by the end because I couldn't handle it. I feel my ears clogging now just remembering it.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 06:05:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Duh!  How the hell did I miss that one?  I tell ya, some Weird Science buff I am, haha.  That would definitely be awesome, though.  Lisa was super hot, but honestly, it was dear old Granny that I was crazy insane for, like, purely sexual though.  Always pictured her shining up the ol' family jewels, nahmsayin?
 Unfortunately, the chances of me being anywhere near Chi-Town to chop this up any time soon sit somewhere between slim and nil.  Rain check?

You got it!

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »
I've been lurking for years but I created an account because I can't keep this in. I just read a 29 page tribute to Jake Phelps and it has to be the most preposterous eulogy in our history:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/jake-phelps-lifetime-retrospective/

Had you ever met him in person? Almost asking rhetorically...

Story after story unwittingly proves that Phelps was nothing more than a grown man who was still a schoolyard bully, literally. He harassed children - CHILDREN - who he deemed to be uncool. He'd burn down their halfpipes if they didn't let him skate it, and he bragged about it. He lobbed racist insults at middle schoolers. Take a step back and let that soak in: in what world is this ok?

The biggest insult is that I'm lucky to get a 3 minute read on someone that mattered, someone like Jay Adams, Phil Shao, Kit Erickson, Shane Cross, Ray Underhill, Shogo, on and on... but Thrasher puts together this epic memorial for a lowlife half-assed skater that people tolerated because they were afraid of the pull he had in the industry.

Fuck Thrasher for putting Phelps on a pedestal and fuck every dickless skater who kowtowed to this loser. I have nothing but respect for the tiny handful of skaters (Pepper, Rowley, etc.) that stood up to him, because they were more concerned about their integrity than getting their picture in a magazine. Everyone else should be ashamed of themselves.
Rotate your wheels regularly.

peptobismol

« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2020, 12:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been lurking for years but I created an account because I can't keep this in. I just read a 29 page tribute to Jake Phelps and it has to be the most preposterous eulogy in our history:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/jake-phelps-lifetime-retrospective/

Had you ever met him in person? Almost asking rhetorically...

Story after story unwittingly proves that Phelps was nothing more than a grown man who was still a schoolyard bully, literally. He harassed children - CHILDREN - who he deemed to be uncool. He'd burn down their halfpipes if they didn't let him skate it, and he bragged about it. He lobbed racist insults at middle schoolers. Take a step back and let that soak in: in what world is this ok?

The biggest insult is that I'm lucky to get a 3 minute read on someone that mattered, someone like Jay Adams, Phil Shao, Kit Erickson, Shane Cross, Ray Underhill, Shogo, on and on... but Thrasher puts together this epic memorial for a lowlife half-assed skater that people tolerated because they were afraid of the pull he had in the industry.

Fuck Thrasher for putting Phelps on a pedestal and fuck every dickless skater who kowtowed to this loser. I have nothing but respect for the tiny handful of skaters (Pepper, Rowley, etc.) that stood up to him, because they were more concerned about their integrity than getting their picture in a magazine. Everyone else should be ashamed of themselves.
[close]

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2020, 12:45:39 AM »
I just remembered...Jucifer was loud as fuck. That may actually be the loudest show I've been to now that I've had more than a year to reflect on the subject. Tiny club, two people, wall of amps, flapping pants.
unreadable trap logo

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2020, 12:59:09 AM »
Is Hellride a social club for racist, smack addicts who by the time they are in there 50s can barely put a sentence together?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2020, 05:50:52 AM »

Fuck Fugazi. My lil cousins first show ever and Fugazi was all he listened to. But no they gotta stop every song cuz someone bumped up on someone else. He said they barely got 3 songs in an hour long set

They can jump around and hang from basket ball goals, but NO ONE ELSE MOVE

My first show was Fugazi too.  I was in 7th grade.  It's rad how all their shows were all ages and $5 tickets.  I was in the back b/c I was scared of the older punks up front.  Michael Stipe was in the back just chillin'.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2020, 06:45:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Fuck Fugazi. My lil cousins first show ever and Fugazi was all he listened to. But no they gotta stop every song cuz someone bumped up on someone else. He said they barely got 3 songs in an hour long set

[close]

My first show was Fugazi too.  I was in 7th grade.  It's rad how all their shows were all ages and $5 tickets.  I was in the back b/c I was scared of the older punks up front.  Michael Stipe was in the back just chillin'.

In the corner?  In the spotlight?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In the corner?  In the spotlight?

I don't know, but he seemed like a shiny happy person.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2020, 11:40:15 AM »
Bardo Pond was very, very loud live