Author Topic: ZERO - "DAMN IT ALL" 21/9/2019  (Read 43240 times)

honey island

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
Re: ZERO - "DAMN IT ALL" 21/9/2019
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2019, 02:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watched it last night and I thought it was pretty good. Brought me back to growing up watching new blood. Person above who said it was bland is just grumpy.
[close]

how is a video that is primary consisted with single tricks down stairs and rails, anything but bland? like what do personally get out of seeing a fs feeble or a fs board down a 11 stair for the 9th time in this video?
[close]

It's a Zero video you moron. I know you love FA and other trendy shit but you know exactly what you're getting with a Zero video. There will always be a place for that type of skating. Just because it isn't your thing doesn't make it bland.

i don't even really like fa that much tbh.

and nah, this shit sucks. bland as shit. take down that james brock man poster, son.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watched it last night and I thought it was pretty good. Brought me back to growing up watching new blood. Person above who said it was bland is just grumpy.
[close]

how is a video that is primary consisted with single tricks down stairs and rails, anything but bland? like what do personally get out of seeing a fs feeble or a fs board down a 11 stair for the 9th time in this video?
[close]

It's a Zero video you moron. I know you love FA and other trendy shit but you know exactly what you're getting with a Zero video. There will always be a place for that type of skating. Just because it isn't your thing doesn't make it bland.
[close]

I think being formulaic and lacking variety is the literal definition of bland lol.
[close]

I agree, you sound grumpy, it’s just a zero video. It’d be so weird if it was anything like Verso or something, Does that make it bad? Nah. Just watch it if you like that kind of stuff. Or don’t
[close]
It's not bad because it's a Zero video. It's bad because it's a bad Zero video. It's a slapdash mess of poor filming, unmixed sound, thoughtless editing, and lots of skateboarding of varying levels of mediocrity. I don't know why this is so difficult for people to grasp.
[close]

cos we fuckin enjoyed it man. i dont need a skateboard video directed by fuckin steven spielberg. a shitty bro cam pointed at a dude doing some cool shit is all I need. get off your high horse or go join the Verso circle jerk.
It’s cool dude, we’re free to enjoy whatever we want, it just means you have shit taste. No skin off my back.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »
You're right, I just watched it and it was very underwhelming as a big fan of zero videos. Music was pretty good from what I remember. The editing is the main problem. It seemed like a promo/unfinished video. The parts were short and sweet like in all zero videos. They definitely needed more time to film and create a cohesive edit. Cold War is my favorite Zero video. No cash value was good too. Chris Wimmer had my favorite part .

I was really looking forward to Gabriel Summers. His part was too short and I'd already seen his best tricks in Thrasher photos as I linked in the OP. Pretty bummed overall and im glad I didn't pay for it. Probably my least favorite Zero video.

At least there's still Baker 4, the Toy video and the Foundation video to look forward to.  Gabbers definitely won't be getting Soty. I respect the chief for still skating at that level at his age, with companies to run, and a family plus all his injuries.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

and nah, this shit sucks. bland as shit. take down that james brock man poster, son.

hahahaha I can picture him ripping his brockman poster off the walls in tears and a rage

euro tm

« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2019, 09:14:40 PM »
jonno, wimer and reggie were the only good parts. if it was just these and a few montages of everyone’s best shit it would be a really good video. should have done it like the 2006 promo.

winecrab

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

hahahaha I can picture him ripping his brockman poster off the walls in tears and a rage

I wish I had a Brockman poster, dude's the shit. He just disappears into the shadows and once the deadline for a video approaches, he pulls a part outta his ass. His part looked like it was filmed in a month or 2. Same fits throughout. Lannie said he waited till crunch time and filmed his cold war part in 3-4 months. I don't have posters on my walls but if I did it would be of Brockman shooting heroin into his dick at the pyramid at SPOT.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2019, 07:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think being formulaic and lacking variety is the literal definition of bland lol.
[close]

I agree, you sound grumpy, it’s just a zero video. It’d be so weird if it was anything like Verso or something, Does that make it bad? Nah. Just watch it if you like that kind of stuff. Or don’t

People can like whatever they want. I just think it's kinda funny to get mad at someone for calling something bland and saying "it's not bland, it's just the formula they always do!" Like cool, do whatever you want, but don't be like every other old skate company and blame your consumers for moving on while you're doing the same stuff you were doing in 2006.

I also hate the kneejerk reaction of someone automatically liking "trendy" (ie modern) skate companies if they don't like something like this, as if there's only two genres of skateboarding to pick from.

Freight Train

« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2019, 07:24:00 AM »
Okay it wasn't Misled Youth but it was still cool to watch

winecrab

« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2019, 08:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

People can like whatever they want. I just think it's kinda funny to get mad at someone for calling something bland and saying "it's not bland, it's just the formula they always do!" Like cool, do whatever you want, but don't be like every other old skate company and blame your consumers for moving on while you're doing the same stuff you were doing in 2006.

I also hate the kneejerk reaction of someone automatically liking "trendy" (ie modern) skate companies if they don't like something like this, as if there's only two genres of skateboarding to pick from.

I wasn't mad at all. Just because I called him a moron doesn't mean I don't like honey island. My point was that he's not into rail/stair skating so of course he'd find it bland. It's a zero video though so that's what's expected. After watching the video I agree with him though,  it was bland, and not because of the rail skating. It was everything else in the video.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2019, 11:04:28 AM »
Wanted to like it but pretty underwhelming overall. I agree with whoever said it should have been a promo-it would have stood better without the filler. I want to root for Jamie but he keeps blowing it.

Also, how is Tony Cervantes still on the team?

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #280 on: October 12, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »
Wanted to like it but pretty underwhelming overall. I agree with whoever said it should have been a promo-it would have stood better without the filler. I want to root for Jamie but he keeps blowing it.

Also, how is Tony Cervantes still on the team?

Because his ride the sky part was that fucking good, the kids style in that part is like next fuckin level.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Eastern Exposure 69

C Dash Money

• Rep: -10
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
Thrill of it All to Damn it All...someone is getting bummed out

burtreynolds.jpeg

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
Thrill of it All to Damn it All...someone is getting bummed out

Thrill of Some Things, Damn a Few Things...
doesn't work as well. Jamie Thomas seems like an all-or-nothing kind of guy.

I also noticed a lot of thanks in the credits to God/Jesus and was wondering if Zero is now the "Christian" skateboard company (kind of like the Firm used to be).

The video had some very impressive stuff. I've never skated big things and have always appreciated this kind of video, even though they make me feel intimidated. At the same time, I get bored because they are just minor variations on the same theme.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
Where can I watch this mamma jamma. Closest premier to me was in va I think
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:35:13 PM by Esmith5488 »

showbobs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
Mainly disappointed in the low level of video production on this one. From the whatever filming, to the bad slow-mo's, the bad transitions between parts, etc.

Zero/Blackbox videos always had a high standard with their videos and how they were put together, this looked worse than a homie video to me (granted homie videos are just as good as most pro videos nowadays) But you get the point. Had a weird thrown together feel to it.

Chris Wimer had the best and most re watchable part. I was surprised by Reggie Kelly and Gabriels part was fucked up as well. The rest was very boring, all the parts looked the same and just bled together.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2019, 06:10:34 AM »
Really liked the new guys and was surprised tommy Sandoval is still jumping down shit like that. Pleasantly surprised with the chiefs part too.

Decent video but I’m not sure if it’s going to get many rewatches besides maybe some of the newer guys. I honestly didn’t realize that many people were on.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #288 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
I watched it about a week ago. Going off memory, here are a few things I liked:

- The way Gabbers flew off the kink into the end of the boardslide for his last trick
- Heelflip crooked grind by Gabbers
- Colin Lambert's caveman backlip
- Jonno's part was fun
- Jamie's last trick
- Kickflip tailslide by Arunski
- Burman nollie heel

Things I wasn't too into:

- Music wasn't as epic as other Zero videos. A big reason why earlier Zero vids went off was because of the good music choices
- Reggie Kelly's push (sorry. He's very talented though)
- Is it just me or could these parts all have been shorter and sweeter? Like Misled Youth or Thrill of it All
- Was there a second friends section without a title screen? That was a little odd
- Very little Cervantes or Windsor. There was no older footage that could've been used?

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
Agree with you on music ^ One or two songs stood out but overall it didn't have the same effect as usual

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
Chief gave me skate video advice a few years ago.

After watching Damn it All... damn Chief, hop in my dms ::)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
Agree with you on music ^ One or two songs stood out but overall it didn't have the same effect as usual

The music felt a little lazy to me. Two Op Ivy songs, right? And Minor Threat Straight Edge? That's all I remember.

euro tm

« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The music felt a little lazy to me. Two Op Ivy songs, right? And Minor Threat Straight Edge? That's all I remember.

the patti smith song that wimer skated to has been one of my favorites for years. glad it got used, especially with him. other than the nick cave song, they used really underwhelming music by bands who have way better songs that would have worked a lot better.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2019, 12:42:52 AM »
can't lie, was pumped to see this vid but the filming and editing killed it for me. Whoever was shooting the vx tage doesnt know the first thing about white balance or general rules about filming into the sun. The shots were often out of focus, and had the red balance way out giving everything a soaked in urine look. I think the burning vx1000 at the start was quite appropriate, they may have officially killed the vx.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
now that I’ve had time to process, I really liked the video. I was gonna watch it right now but I forgot it got taken down. Hensley clips were cool. I enjoyed the whole
Bibe of this. Good job Jamie ThomASS
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1508
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
It's what I expected. Zero is still zeroing. I even enjoyed the gnarly slams. Titles and glitches were probably my only gripes. Gnar factor didn't straye.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yep and the only other song was the Patti Smith song that stood out that Euro mentioned, that was rad but the rest were so and so

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
now that I’ve had time to process, I really liked the video. I was gonna watch it right now but I forgot it got taken down. Hensley clips were cool. I enjoyed the whole
Bibe of this. Good job Jamie ThomASS

This got me.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2019, 04:16:35 AM »
So what's going on with this thing?

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »
It sucked and nobody cares about it anymore.