Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4807217 times)

alex olsons back tail, Snappyfingers and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31560 on: July 21, 2022, 08:32:17 PM »

dlx skate shop 8.5
venture 5.8 w/ 98duro doh-dohs
f4 54 classics
quantum metallics
mostly jessup

We love Crushed!

And ‘Metallics’ are a great choice.  Often slept on.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #31561 on: July 21, 2022, 11:08:22 PM »

Full Christmas complete status on this one - someone broke a window in my car the other week and stole my last big boy set up so I wanted a fresh start. Got pretty much all of it on sale too.

Drkrm 9” with Jessup
Indy 169s
Spitfire classic F4s 56mm
Mini logo bearings

Sorry to hear you got jacked man that really sucks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 08:44:34 AM by FatGuy92 »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #31562 on: July 22, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »

DOA Standard 8.5 14.5wb
Ace 55 no washers on the inside
Spit F4 97 Conical Full
Quantum Isotopes
1/8” Minilogo Risers
Jessup

Had the wheel wells in the last one so I could ride 60mm NFG 95a but once the weather started hitting triple digits every day, they felt like they were softening up during the session so I swapped em with the 97s.

One thing to note, the wheel wells flattened out the kicks and concave a touch so may be an option for mellowing out a deck that feels too steep. I’ve never setup the exact same board after adding wheel wells before so I never had that direct comparison to notice the change. Sorry for the essay.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #31563 on: July 22, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »

DOA Standard 8.5 14.5wb
Spit F4 97 Conical Full
Quantum Isotopes
1/8” Minilogo Risers
Jessup

Had the wheel wells in the last one so I could ride 60mm NFG 95a but once the weather started hitting triple digits every day, they felt like they were softening up during the session so I swapped em with the 97s.

One thing to note, the wheel wells flattened out the kicks and concave a touch so may be an option for mellowing out a deck that feels too steep. I’ve never setup the exact same board after adding wheel wells before so I never had that direct comparison to notice the change. Sorry for the essay.

killer sticker jobs, makes me want to try harder whenever i see something like you're doing

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #31564 on: July 23, 2022, 12:03:00 AM »

Anti Hero Grimple Egg 9.12” x 32.0” 14.5” WB
Film 155
Spitfire f4 97a 54mm conical fulls
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen hardware
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #31565 on: July 23, 2022, 06:35:15 AM »

8.38 Manderson shape
AF1's
Spitfire 52's

I have been running this shape for a while now and keep having to stock up when I find some. My AF1's are super wheezy sounding when I'm turning sharp. Has anyone else had this problem?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #31566 on: July 23, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »

Film 155
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen hardware

Very sick setup

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #31567 on: July 23, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales
fuck you bama

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #31568 on: July 23, 2022, 04:36:19 PM »
Expand Quote

DOA Standard 8.5 14.5wb
Spit F4 97 Conical Full
Quantum Isotopes
1/8” Minilogo Risers
Jessup

[close]

killer sticker jobs, makes me want to try harder whenever i see something like you're doing
Thanks! Growing up in Houston, KTRU Rice University radio stickers were ubiquitous to the extent that people would get big stacks, chop em up, and make their own :

So ever since, I’ve been a fan of remixing stickers, especially if I can get enough of one sticker to keep the overall look the same. In this case, my kid got this huge bootleg pack of stickers with all sorts of weird logos and a bunch of familiar corpo logos so I have lots of letters to work with.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #31569 on: July 23, 2022, 04:42:19 PM »

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales

Very good.
How are the shoes?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #31570 on: July 23, 2022, 07:20:49 PM »
Expand Quote

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales
[close]

Very good.
How are the shoes?
They’re great chiller shoes but they feel a little floppy and the forefoot area feels pretty thin after coming off of Tiagos. I was still able to skate them without it annoying me too much. I’m sure they’ll be fine
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31571 on: July 23, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales
[close]

Very good.
How are the shoes?
[close]
They’re great chiller shoes but they feel a little floppy and the forefoot area feels pretty thin after coming off of Tiagos. I was still able to skate them without it annoying me too much. I’m sure they’ll be fine

Thanks!
Tiago’s are good, probably what I ‘should’ skate. Dunks have been working really well, probably Tyshawn’s next.
Annnnnyways, thanks for the response

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #31572 on: July 23, 2022, 08:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales
[close]

Very good.
How are the shoes?
[close]
[close]

Thanks!
Tiago’s are good, probably what I ‘should’ skate. Dunks have been working really well, probably Tyshawn’s next.
I forgot to mention that they don’t have any centering straps. The tongue on my pushing foot kept sliding down. That was maybe the most annoying thing. I had to tighten my shoe down a little bit more than I normally would. I could see that being an issue for some people

These supposedly have a midsole. It has to be super thin since the soles are thin. The treads are kind of bouncy though. It feels like it works to reduce impact. Not sure if that’s by design
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31573 on: July 23, 2022, 08:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 eagle
148 Thunder Titaniums
53mm f4 classics
Swiss ceramics

Adidas Copa Nationales
[close]

Very good.
How are the shoes?
[close]
[close]

Thanks!
[close]
I forgot to mention that they don’t have any centering straps. The tongue on my pushing foot kept sliding down. That was maybe the most annoying thing. I had to tighten my shoe down a little bit more than I normally would. I could see that being an issue for some people

These supposedly have a midsole. It has to be super thin since the soles are thin. The treads are kind of bouncy though. It feels like it works to reduce impact. Not sure if that’s by design

Anything for impact and old joints/back.
I mean I could be really diligent and lose some weight and do some strength training, but…fuck all of that I want to to just buy some shoes and feel like the 30 year old of myself (going back further, to a time when physical pain was fleeting instead of worn daily…seems beyond the pale of what could reasonably hoped for).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #31574 on: July 24, 2022, 02:11:54 AM »

Isle 8.38
Ace AF1 55 with ace hard bushings
Spitfire 52mm og classic 99a
Quantum Atoms

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #31575 on: July 24, 2022, 02:46:12 AM »

Isle 8.38
Quantum Atoms

beautiful, i love purple stains
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31576 on: July 24, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »

Lol going through gear crisis and last minute decided to take off that isle and set up this violet first instead.

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31577 on: July 24, 2022, 09:21:38 PM »

Lol going through gear crisis and last minute decided to take off that isle and set up this violet first instead.

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms

I am curious to see / hear if the dipped boards are all natural, stained at all or what, which will soon show easily enough once you skate it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31578 on: July 24, 2022, 10:26:22 PM »
Expand Quote

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms
[close]

I am curious to see / hear if the dipped boards are all natural, stained at all or what, which will soon show easily enough once you skate it.

I'll throw up some pics in the scrape report thread at some point. Want to skate my venture setup more again. I think the bottom ply is purple. Unsure about the top, but if I had to guess, maybe also purple? Playing off of the name lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:44:24 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31579 on: July 24, 2022, 10:48:37 PM »

Same, put some Thunder 148 Titanium on a 8.5 deck and I'm loving the combination. I thought I was an 8.25" and Venture man for life, what have I become. At least I know Indys are not for me (at this moment), satisfying pop but the weight makes them feel unwieldly on flips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31580 on: July 25, 2022, 12:09:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same, put some Thunder 148 Titanium on a 8.5 deck and I'm loving the combination. I thought I was an 8.25" and Venture man for life, what have I become. At least I know Indys are not for me (at this moment), satisfying pop but the weight makes them feel unwieldly on flips.

Ya I've been really liking my ace setup but skated my venture board again today and it felt so weird and I was struggling.

Mind you I've basically skated this exact setup, or very close variants of it, for like a year now and I thought it would feel like home but it was so strange even just a month off of it. Its definitely better for some things that I want to work on but just the overall experience feels so different to the ace setup that I've been running and have gotten used to.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31581 on: July 25, 2022, 02:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms
[close]

[close]

I'll throw up some pics in the scrape report thread at some point. Want to skate my venture setup more again. I think the bottom ply is purple. Unsure about the top, but if I had to guess, maybe also purple? Playing off of the name lol

Ha yeah, not a worry when, but purple stains definitely show a nice attention to detail I was not expecting.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #31582 on: July 25, 2022, 07:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DOA Standard 8.5 14.5wb
Spit F4 97 Conical Full
Quantum Isotopes
1/8” Minilogo Risers
Jessup

[close]

[close]
Thanks! Growing up in Houston, KTRU Rice University radio stickers were ubiquitous to the extent that people would get big stacks, chop em up, and make their own :

So ever since, I’ve been a fan of remixing stickers, especially if I can get enough of one sticker to keep the overall look the same. In this case, my kid got this huge bootleg pack of stickers with all sorts of weird logos and a bunch of familiar corpo logos so I have lots of letters to work with.

haha no way dude, i grew up in houston too. a ktru reference is the last response i expected to get, haven't had it come up in years so a huge thank you for the memory jog - it made my week.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31583 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ya I've been really liking my ace setup but skated my venture board again today and it felt so weird and I was struggling.

Mind you I've basically skated this exact setup, or very close variants of it, for like a year now and I thought it would feel like home but it was so strange even just a month off of it. Its definitely better for some things that I want to work on but just the overall experience feels so different to the ace setup that I've been running and have gotten used to.

To make matters worse, I landed a 360 flip in 2 tries on this 8.5 setup, usually takes me at least 40. I just hope the Big V in the sky can forgive me for my straying ways.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #31584 on: July 25, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms

Everytime i see your setups im always in like “damn, so beautiful”. Do you have any updates and stronger opinions on the ace af1 trucks? I would like you to go on indys next instead of ventures lol and see how those go for you.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31585 on: July 25, 2022, 09:22:57 AM »

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms

Nice set up. I couldn't help myself and picked up this violet deck but I've just got it wall hanging right now. Looking forward to your update in the scrape report to see how it looks.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #31586 on: July 25, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »

Film 155
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen hardware
Got the same exact deck (Only that its like a year old now and beat up) Only difference is that it has a blue top. Its so fun and skates like a dream! Enjoy!

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31587 on: July 25, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote

8.5 Violet
Quantum Atoms
[close]

Everytime i see your setups im always in like “damn, so beautiful”. Do you have any updates and stronger opinions on the ace af1 trucks? I would like you to go on indys next instead of ventures lol and see how those go for you.

Haha the reason I went with ace instead of indy (besides the fact that I got them for free) was because I didn't want to deal with the choice paralysis between cast/forged plates, hollows, solids, titaniums etc.

I've really gotten used to the aces. They grind far better on chunky stuff, and climb easier onto curbs for slappies and that has spoiled me, made skating the ventures again a lot more difficult. Also really used to the pop feel now, enjoying putting my popping foot in the pocket instead of on the tip of the nose/tail. I think my nollie and fakie game is noticeably better with the way aces + longer board pop. After tightening them, they feel plenty stable too, although sometimes I will still roll away at a big angle if I don't land square.

Ventures, as expected, are much better for backside flips, switch backside 180 nosegrinds, flip in tricks, and holding pinches. I can do all those fine on the ace setups too but those specific tricks for whatever reason, that I do very often, are much more predictable and feel more solid on ventures even though skating the venture board felt foreign and weird because its been a while.

I want to hopefully get to the point where I'm used to both, and skate either setup depending on what I want to do. At the very least I gotta grind my new/last set of ventures to the bone and kill the rest of my shorter boards.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #31588 on: July 25, 2022, 12:01:58 PM »

Isle 8.38
Quantum Atoms

haa the Squang sticker - I know JJ pretty well
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31589 on: July 25, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Isle 8.38
Quantum Atoms
[close]

haa the Squang sticker - I know JJ pretty well

ya same. Goes good with the purple graphic haha.

Alright since a bunch of you wanted to see the dipped violet skated, I took it out to one of my usual ledges and just did part of my usual routine

Paint is definitely thicker than on dlx boards, and has that white underlay. Dip on top looks kinda cool when its just the purple top ply showing. But as it gets more dinged up and the natural plys start showing more it'll get ugly, probably will sand it off then.

Shape is clunky, haven't skated a really full 8.5 in a while. Definitely a bit more nose/tail than I'd like even though I wear size 13s. But probably can get used to it. The full dip also makes the board feel slightly heavier. All in all I'm sure it'll feel chill after another session, but going to run my venture board a little more now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:52:22 PM by tzhangdox »