Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785844 times)

Cxbvc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #20070 on: March 05, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
I have literally bought about 4/5 setups in the past couple months, failing to keep my madness under control.

Trying to size back down, been skating 8.5-9.5 for a while now as I mostly skate tranny but wanting to switch things up a little bit.

8.28 x 31.65 (14.12wb)
Ace 44 (first time)
Spitfire F4 Lock-ins 54mm 99a (still playing with wheel sizes)
Pig rail
Bronson Raws

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #20071 on: March 06, 2019, 03:05:48 AM »
how are the aces and what did you come from? toying with leaving my 3 year thunder commitment and jumping to aces.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #20072 on: March 06, 2019, 03:47:20 AM »
how are the aces and what did you come from? toying with leaving my 3 year thunder commitment and jumping to aces.

I know you asked him, but if I may

The classic ace 44 are pretty nice trucks when you break them in, they feel like a better version of trucks from back in the day when you had to really skate and break in a setup and just skate them until they really just dialed in to the way you skate

You have to get used to them a bit cause flip tricks on them feel controllable but floppy at the same time, yes “floppy”

They feel good but compared to thunders, thunders are lighter and easier to get use to for flip tricks
yes

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #20073 on: March 06, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »

i switched to ace from thunder after something like 3 years of skating thunders exclusively and it's a pretty easy transition, you should get used to them in 3-4 sessions.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #20074 on: March 06, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »

Thunders are way way easier to get the wheelbite with. Aces are difficult to get wheelbite with. Thunders extend the effective wheelbase, and the wheels rub the ledge in nose/tail slides. Aces shorten the wheelbase, significantly, and the baseplate touches on slides. They are fairly different. I think sometimes people thought they were similar because both turn quickly. Aces have a softer hanger as well, which makes grinding easier, and they have way better kingpin clearance. Both are good.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20075 on: March 06, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders are way way easier to get the wheelbite with. Aces are difficult to get wheelbite with. Thunders extend the effective wheelbase, and the wheels rub the ledge in nose/tail slides. Aces shorten the wheelbase, significantly, and the baseplate touches on slides. They are fairly different. I think sometimes people thought they were similar because both turn quickly. Aces have a softer hanger as well, which makes grinding easier, and they have way better kingpin clearance. Both are good.

to be fair i didn't really have any issues with the fact that they shorten the wheelbase, and i expected that to be the biggest problem. what bothered me the most at first was the height, it felt really weird to skate tall trucks after being on thunders for so long.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #20076 on: March 06, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

to be fair i didn't really have any issues with the fact that they shorten the wheelbase, and i expected that to be the biggest problem. what bothered me the most at first was the height, it felt really weird to skate tall trucks after being on thunders for so long.

Except for the fact that ACEs are 52mm tall...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20077 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »
Thunder to Ace was great for me, shortened the wheelbase so my pop/ timing got a lot better plus trey turn like old Indys used to. Yes, you’re more stable on thunders and I’ve still got a set lying around but just feel right to me

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

somedudefromnj

« Reply #20078 on: March 06, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
i too switched to aces from thunder recently. the bushings on the thunders just would not break in and there is decent grind wear from just trying to break them in. i watched that ben degros review on ace to see what the deal was and he called them "squirrely" and after setting them yp i could see that. Love em like that though.

Although this week i landed on my board funky and the bottom bushing (cushing?) opped off the little metal piece that hlds it in

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20079 on: March 06, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Truth. They don’t ‘feel’ as short as they are, they feel tall. Most likely due to the steep kingpin....and a bunch of geometry I don’t understand. I can catch wheelbite with indys way easier than ace. Tis odd. They can definitely feel squirrelly, and that can be fun.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20080 on: March 06, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
Although this week i landed on my board funky and the bottom bushing (cushing?) opped off the little metal piece that hlds it in
defs happend to me a lot while I was breaking them in, seems to have rectified itself now but for the first 2 sessions I had to be careful how hard I pushed them even though I only weigh 72 or kgs

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Cxbvc

« Reply #20081 on: March 06, 2019, 10:56:51 PM »

I’ve always ridden Indy 149 since the beginning, but switched to some thunder 149 just before ace for a month or two and I’m happy with them but they don’t have that nice deep carve I’m looking for. Ace after 3 skates are IMO the perfect truck geometry wise, but also going down wheelbase on my board AND truck it’s definitely very squirrelly which is fun honestly. I haven’t had any issues with wheelbite compared to Indy and thunder as well. Part of me wants to put them on my 8.5 hotel blue and be done with it though.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20082 on: March 08, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »

Ace Trucks are for people that like very loose trucks. If you like tight and stable trucks with less turning, Ace is not for you. But if you like a lot of turning, without giving up control, Ace Trucks are perfect.

I always had my Indy's very lose, to the point they were uncontrollable and I had to tighten them. But with ace trucks I remove both washers and loosen the shit out of them and they feel great. They turn perfectly and not as weird and uncontrollable as loose Indy's. Also they are pretty light.

The only downside is that the metal is a bit "softer" than for example Indy's. They break a lot quicker, but they're also slimmer than Indy's or thunder. Grinding also feels different since the metal is "softer"...

If you like loose trucks get yourself some Ace's, you wont be dissappointed.

Loose trucks save lives!

Shalom
support your local ramp-tramp

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #20083 on: March 08, 2019, 01:43:43 AM »
i've been running thunders just shy of 3 years now and i like the turn and responsiveness of them but sometimes i wish i could carve a little deeper/quicker without getting wheelbite. i'll probably give aces a shot sometime in the future as while the hangers etc on my thunders are still in pretty good condition the axle threads are pretty shot beyond repair in some cases and the rear bushings are blowing the fuck out.

Little Debbie

« Reply #20084 on: March 08, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
i let my friend skate my Ace 44s in return for his Indy 149s, and I immediately want to go back. Feels like I'm standing more "on top" of the truck vs. feeling like I'm more "in" the truck, if that makes any sense.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #20085 on: March 08, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
After pushing around on a 7.5 cruiser for the past week, I had to set up something else small. Threw this together with some stuff I had laying around. Ugly, but it feels amazing.

Habitat Janoski (7.88", ~4 years old, super flat)
Venture 5.0 (gifted by a friend who stopped, I can only assume that these are Streetcorner and not DLX)
Mini-Logo 50mm
Shorty's 1" allen
Jessup
Mixed Reds & Bronsons
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:34:06 AM by FrozenIndustries »

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20086 on: March 08, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »
triggered
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #20087 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »
After pushing around on a 7.5 cruiser for the past week, I had to set up something else small. Threw this together with some stuff I had laying around. Ugly, but it feels amazing.

Venture 5.0 (gifted by a friend who stopped, I can only assume that these are Streetcorner and not DLX)
Mini-Logo 50mm
Shorty's 1" allen
Jessup
Mixed Reds & Bronsons

love me some 7.88

Little Debbie

« Reply #20088 on: March 08, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
you better flip the hell out of that board

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20089 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »

Mini-Logo 50mm
Shorty's 1" allen
Jessup
Mixed Reds & Bronsons

Oh shit trill shit

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #20090 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
7.88 mega ramp size

Larry Dallas

« Reply #20091 on: March 08, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
Vert board.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20092 on: March 08, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
You both are right. Had the one homie who was all about 7.88 and his board looked huge compared to ours....

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #20093 on: March 09, 2019, 01:35:39 AM »

Gonna get weird on this thing. At first I thought this thing was stupid. Was kicking myself after passing. Scooped up 3 next chance I got

Zig Zogger 10.75 x 30
Independent 215s Chinese hanger/American baseplate
Formula Four 51mm 101 conicals
Reds
Shorty’s
Jessup
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #20094 on: March 09, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »

Gonna get weird on this thing. At first I thought this thing was stupid. Was kicking myself after passing. Scooped up 3 next chance I got

Zig Zogger 10.75 x 30
Reds
Shorty’s
Jessup
Not hating on this set up, but are the wheels kind of off? I don't like short boards (bad drunk experience that has me sworn off drunk or not), but I bet these are fun as shit.
The chillest1

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20095 on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i thought they were like higher than that, but still they definitely feel taller than thunders
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #20096 on: March 09, 2019, 05:15:37 AM »
Vert board.
7.88 mega ramp size
You both are right. Had the one homie who was all about 7.88 and his board looked huge compared to ours....

Got a 7.88 AWS John Drake in like 1997 and though it was a boat. We were also calling a friend's Venture 5.2 HIs "vert trucks".

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20097 on: March 09, 2019, 06:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Vert board.
[close]
Expand Quote
7.88 mega ramp size
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Got a 7.88 AWS John Drake in like 1997 and though it was a boat. We were also calling a friend's Venture 5.2 HIs "vert trucks".

Same year I bought a Gino Gza 101 board, at a mall shop, it’d been there for awhile, gripped it, went home and realized that it was just less than 8’’ and also almost 32” long: unskateable. Was a wall hanger for years, been moved so many times, had a 40 spilled next to it that splashed it....still got it tucked away. I guess I’ll skate it, I expect it to last about two kickflips. It’s super flat. So perfect. World boards were so rad during this era. I’d get one, land something new/better than before and break the board that day. They were lighter and poppier, but would snap easily. Sorry for the uncle Rico

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #20098 on: March 09, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Zig Zogger 10.75 x 30
Reds
Shorty’s
Jessup
[close]
Not hating on this set up, but are the wheels kind of off? I don't like short boards (bad drunk experience that has me sworn off drunk or not), but I bet these are fun as shit.

It’s the way I’m standing over the board taking the photo all my setups look like that. 14 inch wheelbase is a little small for me being 6ft but once I stopped thinking too much and and skated it felt great.

Its big but small if that makes sense. I might have to swoop up two more decks I liked it so much skating flat only
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Cxbvc

« Reply #20099 on: March 09, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »

Polar P9 8.625 x 32 [14.5 WB]
Ace 44
Spitfire F4 99a Kader Full Radial 58mm
Bronson Raws
Pig Rails

As I said in a few posts back I tried to downsize my board... wasn't quite working out considering I mostly skate transition it just felt unnatural so I went back to a board I had laying around and put the big wheels back on. Originally hated this board because of the longer wheelbase, but now that I'm skating ACE's its not really an issue.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:11:41 PM by Cxbvc »