Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4863222 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #23460 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Took advantage of DC and Elements big sale..

Element 8" (idc about the graphics for $14)
Indy 139 hollow
52mm wheels
Bones reds
Element grip tape (pretty questionable)
Another pair of Kalis S (love these zapatos)
[close]

Any idea of it was PS Stix (with the laser etching on the top with a serial number) or China wood?
[close]
I never looked on this deck before I gripped it, but I did look it up and I found a picture of a RedSox one that looked to be from the same series and it was PS Stix.

[close]

Good detective work. I have 2 Element boards I picked up from 2nd hand setups that I've cannibalized, 1 was from the MLB series and the other an Appleyard, guess I'll finally get to try a PS Stix board.
[close]
Thank you, I missed my calling..  ;D
[close]

The Element decks that I received were pressed by BBS. They are some of the nicest tapered shaped and mellow concave decks
I have rode in a while. Also, those element trucks ride great in stock form.

Yeah actually I meant to post this earlier but forgot....I can't read the text from that picture, but I know on the newer Element decks they have a similar engraving to what PS does except it says "pressed by BBS" and has the exact board measurements including the wheelbase and nose/tail. So basically what I'm saying is don't just assume because there's a laser engraving between the front truck holes that it's PS stix. I was under the impression that Element hadn't used PS for some time, but it's really not an a company that I keep super close tabs on either. Here's an example from one of the new bad brains decks.

https://img.skatewarehouse.com/watermark/rs.php?path=ELBBLSTNSDK-2.jpg

From comparing the blurry picture to the new one, they seem to be very similar so I'd bet on them being BBS.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:45:58 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

legion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #23461 on: March 31, 2020, 03:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
(partial) family portrait

fatties, eggs, popsicle
indys, thunder, venture, ace
But the one thing they all have in common: F4s
[close]
You hang with the curb crushers?
Nice quiver. Think 159's and wider wheels would work on that gonz? Thanks.
[close]
I'll see the crushers around and slap it up with them. I'm not in the club though.
I'd recommend 169s (or 66s like I have) on the gonz, no matter the wheel width.
Also depends what you mean by wider wheels. Are you talking conical fulls? Or Slimeballs or mini Juice? Those things are wide.
I happen to have another setup (shocking, I know) with 159s and 58 conical fulls.
Here are some photos to compare and see how the edges would line up:
Gonz on bottom. From the rear, you're looking pretty good.

Front view. It would work. But I prefer things more lined up.

Has anyone ever tried a 159 in the back, 169 in front? I wonder how much it would mess would the turning radius and feel. But it would line up with the edges perfect on some shaped boards.
Right on. I can remember seeing some of them around.. trying not to say back in the day.. Would love to know where their underground spot is!
Thanks for those pics, that is perfect. Seems flush enough in back and I was expecting to deal with some overhang up front.
I've been geeking pretty hard on wheel size/width. Slimeballs are too wide/heavy for my tastes, Teamriders are ok but too tall.
I've been thinking 54-56mm radials or conical fulls. So 34-36mm width vs 37mm for your 58's. Extra speedrings if I can..
I was thinking about Speedlab 97a Nomads but idk if I skate enough crust to justify softer wheels.

I thought about front 169, rear 159 too. Seems like it'd balance out the surfiness but cranking down the front would do the same. Being a lil cockeyed on locked-in 50-50's would probably bug me.
From a suspension standpoint, F1 cars have a wide rear track to help fight body roll since there's more weight back there. The front end is narrower but aero could be a partial reason. If wider helped with cornering they'd probably do it.
The arc a wider hanger carves should be different but I wonder if you could feel the change. Might not turn as tight up front?
And then there's the wheelbiting sooner thing..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:48:49 PM by legion »

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #23462 on: March 31, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »

Slave Pat Burke 8.5x 32 14.25WB
Indy standard 144 with Bones hard
53mm Spitfire F4 lock ins 101A
Swiss

AH 8.28 x 31.7 14.12WB
Indy 144 Hollow
52mm Spitfire Tablet 101A
Bronson Raw

Wino G6 slips

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #23463 on: March 31, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 hollow
52mm wheels
Bones reds
[close]

Any idea of it was PS Stix (with the laser etching on the top with a serial number) or China wood?
[close]
I never looked on this deck before I gripped it, but I did look it up and I found a picture of a RedSox one that looked to be from the same series and it was PS Stix.

[close]

Good detective work. I have 2 Element boards I picked up from 2nd hand setups that I've cannibalized, 1 was from the MLB series and the other an Appleyard, guess I'll finally get to try a PS Stix board.
[close]
[close]

The Element decks that I received were pressed by BBS. They are some of the nicest tapered shaped and mellow concave decks
[close]

Yeah actually I meant to post this earlier but forgot....I can't read the text from that picture, but I know on the newer Element decks they have a similar engraving to what PS does except it says "pressed by BBS" and has the exact board measurements including the wheelbase and nose/tail. So basically what I'm saying is don't just assume because there's a laser engraving between the front truck holes that it's PS stix. I was under the impression that Element hadn't used PS for some time, but it's really not an a company that I keep super close tabs on either. Here's an example from one of the new bad brains decks.

From comparing the blurry picture to the new one, they seem to be very similar so I'd bet on them being BBS.
Gotcha.. sorry about that guys!
Nevertheless I skated mine for about an hour and it's going in the pile of shame. I tried to like it but all my fliptricks with it were shameful.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1994
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23464 on: March 31, 2020, 05:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 hollow
52mm wheels
Bones reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Nevertheless I skated mine for about an hour and it's going in the pile of shame. I tried to like it but all my fliptricks with it were shameful.

Too mellow or overall sogginess?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #23465 on: March 31, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 hollow
52mm wheels
Bones reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Too mellow or overall sogginess?
I would say it was the perfect combo of both unfortunately.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #23466 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:47 AM »

Polar Paul Grund 8.12
Indys
Formula Fours

Last 3 boards have been Quasis and i've loved them, but i've always preferred a proper round tail and a bigger nose so thought I'd switch it up. Haven't skated a Polar board in maybe 3 years so excited to break it in.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:22:53 AM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #23467 on: April 01, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »

Polar Paul Grund 8.12
Indys
Formula Fours

Last 3 boards have been Quasis and i've loved them, but i've always preferred a proper round tail and a bigger nose so thought I'd switch it up. Haven't skated a Polar board in maybe 3 years so excited to break it in.
beautiful board my man

I also prefer boards to have a round and not as square shape as a lot of brands are putting out now. Don't like them super pointy either, a nice in between is the sweet spot for me.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #23468 on: April 01, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
Still working from home, so I still don't know how to fucking embed...

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a
5 year old Swiss 6 that still kill

Pretty much equates to the pre-144/148 error of riding 8.25 decks on 149's.

Really surprised I haven't had any issues of the bushings sticking to the side.  I just waxed the pivot cup and they feel really nice.  They don't carve as fast as Ace or Indy, but they don't feel like they're fighting you and have a nice, stable feel.

Edited for technophobia...

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #23469 on: April 02, 2020, 03:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Polar Paul Grund 8.12
Indys
Formula Fours

[close]
beautiful board my man

I also prefer boards to have a round and not as square shape as a lot of brands are putting out now. Don't like them super pointy either, a nice in between is the sweet spot for me.

Thanks mate, had a flatground session earlier and felt good! Yeah this one is a decent inbetween, with a fairly steep concave too.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #23470 on: April 02, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a

Really surprised I haven't had any issues of the bushings sticking to the side.  I just waxed the pivot cup and they feel really nice.  They don't carve as fast as Ace or Indy, but they don't feel like they're fighting you and have a nice, stable feel.

Never realized Orchard was here in Massachusetts, i may have to drive up there one day to check it out.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #23471 on: April 02, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
Expand Quote

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a

[close]

Never realized Orchard was here in Massachusetts, i may have to drive up there one day to check it out.
They are in the process of moving to new location, when they get set back up, ya gotta go support them! I wish I was still close enough to go to the shop.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #23472 on: April 02, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a

[close]

[close]
They are in the process of moving to new location, when they get set back up, ya gotta go support them! I wish I was still close enough to go to the shop.

Me too! I went to music school in Boston, and the Orchard guys are the least "cool guy/vibe out" shop I've been too.  I split that complete up amongst them and a shop here in MI.

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #23473 on: April 02, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »

antihero green giant 9.56
ace 66
spitfire f4 99duro 60mm
1/8 krooked riser
indy GP-S bearings
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:46:44 PM by shpongle »

thinlizzy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #23474 on: April 02, 2020, 04:37:33 PM »

ace 66
spitfire f4 99duro 60mm
1/8 krooked riser
indy GP-S bearings

looks like a mega fun board, respect

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23475 on: April 02, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #23476 on: April 02, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a

[close]

[close]
[close]

Me too! I went to music school in Boston, and the Orchard guys are the least "cool guy/vibe out" shop I've been too.  I split that complete up amongst them and a shop here in MI.
That's awesome man. Definitely no shiity vibes there! Great shop in a great city!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1367
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #23477 on: April 02, 2020, 07:35:49 PM »

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics
What's good with Film Tucks. I've seen some US pals riding them lately and I know they're expanding the brand but what are they like?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #23478 on: April 03, 2020, 05:40:16 AM »

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics

Haven’t had a quasi in years but if I did it would 100 percent be this graphic

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23479 on: April 03, 2020, 06:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics
[close]
What's good with Film Tucks. I've seen some US pals riding them lately and I know they're expanding the brand but what are they like?

I love them. They have the tight wb and turning of an Ace or theeve but the interlocking bushings makes them more stable on center and let's you really lean into turns without wheel biting. I've never actually measured the height but I think it's around the same as a Thunder team, or at least that's what the pop reminds me of. Between them and the Tensor ATG I'm starting to wonder why interlocking bushings aren't standard on all trucks.

They're great for curb bopping too.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #23480 on: April 03, 2020, 06:23:09 AM »
Agree love the interlocked bushings in the tensor atg. Broke in really nice.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #23481 on: April 03, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »

bored as hell so I cannibalized some other boards to string this one together

Heroin Curb Crusher 10.25
Ace 55s
Spitfire OG Classics 54mm
bones risers
santa cruz rail

gonna be slashing the 10 X10 slab of concrete in my courtyard for the next several months i guess
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23482 on: April 03, 2020, 02:52:30 PM »

bored as hell so I cannibalized some other boards to string this one together

Heroin Curb Crusher 10.25
Ace 55s
Spitfire OG Classics 54mm
bones risers
santa cruz rail

gonna be slashing the 10 X10 slab of concrete in my courtyard for the next several months i guess
I laughed so bad with the "cannibalized".
I found the classic (?) 9" curb crusher, anybody tried it?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #23483 on: April 03, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics

I read somewhere(tactics I think?) that these 8.25 protos are 8.5 at one end and taper down to 8.25 at the tail. Is that the case? If so, how is that?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23484 on: April 03, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Quasi 8.25
Film trucks
F4 54mm classics
[close]

I read somewhere(tactics I think?) that these 8.25 protos are 8.5 at one end and taper down to 8.25 at the tail. Is that the case? If so, how is that?

Nah man, it’s just a regular shape, no crazy tapers.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #23485 on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »

ace 66
spitfire f4 99duro 60mm
1/8 krooked riser
indy GP-S bearings

gotta kick flip on that large Marge?

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #23486 on: April 03, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
I keep it on the ground most of the time :D

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #23487 on: April 04, 2020, 01:14:59 AM »

Santa Cruz 8.8
Krux 9.0
OJ 54mm
Mob
Diamond Allen bolts

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23488 on: April 04, 2020, 02:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

WKND 8.5
Venture 6.1's
F4 Conical 52's 99a

[close]

[close]
[close]

If you don't mind me asking, what's the length and wb on that bad boy? I love the shape of my black wknd logo deck but my first wknd deck was a Jordan Taylor that was a little shorter (31.5) with a crazy ski ramp nose and that ended up being one of my favorite decks ever so I've been trying to find something else on that mold ever since

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #23489 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »

Santa Cruz 8.8
Krux 9.0
OJ 54mm
Mob
Diamond Allen bolts
I want that board so bad 8.8 with a 14.25 must flip so nice!