Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4851694 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #25470 on: August 28, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »

AW 8.3
Indy 149 hollows (from a pal on here) bones bushings
50 mm classics
Swiss
Jessup
Nike AF 2
I messed around on sub 8 to 8.1 for a month or two and had way more fun giving them all to some kids at a park than I did skating them. I haven't skated 8.3 in a while and after one lunch break session, I remembered I really like this size.

coneklr

« Reply #25471 on: August 28, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »

Killing Floor
Thunders
F4's
Swiss
Bronze

Busenitz Vintage

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25472 on: August 28, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »

FA Gino "World" 8.18 x 31.73
Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm
Diamond Carroll 7/8" allen

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #25473 on: August 28, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »

Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm

That Gino board is tight, I wanna see that embossed ply gripped. Is it noticeable at all? I’d imagine a month of wear would make it super noticeable but that’s just my baseless assumption.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25474 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »

About to change the bushings cause they cracked. Thinking about trying Bones bushings.

Hockey 8.125
Indy 144 with aftermarket bushings and baseplate
Spitfire Demonseed 99d 54mm
Indy hardware
Bones China Reds
Mob Grip

This will always be my favorite Hockey graphic. I'm still bummed I never picked one of these up, but least I have the shirt of it.

Anyways, set up the new deck. Trying out a slightly smaller size.

- Quasi Skin Mauve 8.125" x 31.25" (website says 31.75" but they measure decks by bending the tape measure) with 14.125" WB
- Thunder 148 Standards with stock bushings
- Spitfire F4 Radials 52mm 99a
- Bones Swiss
- Thunder 1" hardware
- MOB

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #25475 on: August 28, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »

Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm
8.18 FA & Venture low combo is the shit

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
« Reply #25476 on: August 29, 2020, 02:17:39 AM »

18 Yinzer 8.55 x 31.62, 14.125wb
Indy 149s w/Bones Hard
F4 Conical Full 53mm
Hard Luck Six Balls
Shortys Silverados
Shop grip

A bunch of gear that got repurposed and turned into a covid complete. The Indys are a USA pair that I had been sitting on and the deck was on a cruiser set up that I wound up not really using. For a scrounger set-up, I really like it.

You're a brave man skating a Yinzer shape. I have one I've skated a bit, one that's gripped but unskated, and one thats staying wrapped (have all 3 of the versions of that graphic in Shrink) and I baby them so bad because I'm afraid they're not going to release another board on his shape haha. Those boards did sell like hotcakes (especially the 8.28) though so maybe they will.

Its easily my favorite shaped deck and not just because he's from the burgh. The main complaint I have with 8.5 decks is they're usually longer than l like, so 8.55 x 31.6 14.12wb is right up my alley and thankfully the tail isn't super steep. My setup is basically the same except with big wheels - Indy 149 standards (Steve Olson ones), hard luck 6 balls, and some old plan b 58mm 101a wheels.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
« Reply #25477 on: August 29, 2020, 02:32:09 AM »

Yes man, thank you. I really appreciate that. I will try my best again, yes, even though I still feel pain in my ankle after 2 hours of playing ..

Just stick with it dude. I was in the same situation a year and a half ago. Take it easy and don't overdo it (recovery is very important when you're older) but as you skate more your other leg muscles will start to get stronger and adapt to your ankle being weak. Be realistic about your goals too - you're not going to be laser flipping after a month and it's going to be harder than it was when you were young, but you can still progress and learn new tricks. Slappys are always fun and a good way to get used to the feeling of grinding something and keeping your board under you again.

You picked what is in my opinion one of the best shapes available right now for your comeback, so good job on that. I skate mine on venture 5.6 hollows, so if you end up not liking the thunders I'd recommend trying any of the venture 5.6 with forged baseplates (V hollow, v light, or V titanium). That combination is the perfect balance of pop, stability, and flickability for me.

goingapelikenigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #25478 on: August 29, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »
Expand Quote

About to change the bushings cause they cracked. Thinking about trying Bones bushings.

Hockey 8.125
Indy hardware
Bones China Reds
Mob Grip
[close]

This will always be my favorite Hockey graphic. I'm still bummed I never picked one of these up, but least I have the shirt of it.

On the off chance that you live in Sweden, I'll give it to you man. :)

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
« Reply #25479 on: August 29, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hockey 8.125
Indy hardware
Bones China Reds
Mob Grip
[close]

[close]

On the off chance that you live in Sweden, I'll give it to you man. :)

Unfortunately I don't, but thank you.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #25480 on: August 29, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »

Enjoi Deedz 8.375
Indy 144 with aftermarket soft bushings
OJ Elite Mini Combo 54mm 101a
Bones Big Balls

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #25481 on: August 29, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm
[close]

agreed on the combo. and can we see what this looks like gripped?

sadnocomply

• Rep: 160
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #25482 on: August 29, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
Y’all really never had an embossed top? You really don’t notice it until your grip is absolutely donezo. Can’t see/feel it under fresh mob that’s for true.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25483 on: August 30, 2020, 07:42:20 AM »

Enjoi Deedz 8.375
Bones Big Balls

How are you liking it? Just got the bigger Thaynan version of that board. Not going to get to skate it for a bit but was very into the graphic and shape.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25484 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »

Quasi 8.5”
Thunder mids
Indie risers (they don’t match the thunder base plates and I kinda hate it)
Spitfire f4 conical full 56mm 99a
Jessup
Reds

Second quasi 8.5” deck with this wheel/truck/riser combo, which I put together because I wanted to roll over crust more easily. It definitely DOES blast over crust but I can’t nollie for shit anymore. Not sure if it’s the height or if these quasi decks have a kinda long nose. I like their art, concave, and tails tho

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #25485 on: August 31, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm
[close]
[close]

agreed on the combo. and can we see what this looks like gripped?

I'm gonna try to set it up tonight. Whole weekend was spent re-doing dirt/grass in my yard.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #25486 on: August 31, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »

Quasi 8.5”
Thunder mids
Jessup
Reds

Second quasi 8.5” deck with this wheel/truck/riser combo, which I put together because I wanted to roll over crust more easily. It definitely DOES blast over crust but I can’t nollie for shit anymore. Not sure if it’s the height or if these quasi decks have a kinda long nose. I like their art, concave, and tails tho

Acidply??? What’s the scoop on those?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #25487 on: August 31, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »

update/ bump: so I took the polar out for a proper skate yesterday and all I can say is that it is a tonne of fun. Sure you don't have nollie pop (at least not with 56mm wheels) but you can get around that by doing a quick shove-it before doing nollie tricks. Other than that though, it rides like a dream and if loophole can come out with some more shapes/ sizes, I'd honestly have no problem supporting them over the bigger brands. Looks like Polar is also coming out with a bigger version of the surf shape too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #25488 on: August 31, 2020, 08:46:37 PM »
do loophole and spitfire f4's ride the same? would be down to try loopholes but f4 is just sooo good

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #25489 on: August 31, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
do loophole and spitfire f4's ride the same? would be down to try loopholes but f4 is just sooo good
easily some of the most comparable wheels, you won't be disappointed (and this is coming from a huge F4 fan), they are dreamy!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ariy Joo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #25490 on: August 31, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Yes man, thank you. I really appreciate that. I will try my best again, yes, even though I still feel pain in my ankle after 2 hours of playing ..
[close]

Just stick with it dude. I was in the same situation a year and a half ago. Take it easy and don't overdo it (recovery is very important when you're older) but as you skate more your other leg muscles will start to get stronger and adapt to your ankle being weak. Be realistic about your goals too - you're not going to be laser flipping after a month and it's going to be harder than it was when you were young, but you can still progress and learn new tricks. Slappys are always fun and a good way to get used to the feeling of grinding something and keeping your board under you again.

You picked what is in my opinion one of the best shapes available right now for your comeback, so good job on that. I skate mine on venture 5.6 hollows, so if you end up not liking the thunders I'd recommend trying any of the venture 5.6 with forged baseplates (V hollow, v light, or V titanium). That combination is the perfect balance of pop, stability, and flickability for me.

whoaa, thanks for your advice. every day I skate 2-3 hours (if in 2 hours I don't feel pain I keep playing). back in my skating I was still traumatized to pop on my deck (I was a goofy skating, and the one that broke was the left ankle) but the day I tried to fight my trauma. praise god the day i can be more agile.
Oh, ya? I'm also actually curious about the venture. my friend had recommended, maybe the next setup or later if I want to have a spare truck, I will buy venture.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25491 on: September 01, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
Expand Quote

Quasi 8.5”
Thunder mids
Jessup
Reds

[close]

Pretty sure it’s just a funny marketing term they made up for their decks with day-glo color dip. More info in this writeup:

We reached out to Quasi to ask them about his new Acid Ply collection and what it really was all about. Q at Quasi told us verbatim “Acid Ply is a technology unlike any other, it doesn’t rely on any novelty materials or any sort of special production. It solely relies on VIBES.” So what we can decipher from that is there really isn’t any new technology put into these decks per se
Source: https://thedrop.com/featured-drops/trip-out-on-this-acid-ply-collection-from-quasi-skateboards/

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #25492 on: September 01, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Enjoi Deedz 8.375
Bones Big Balls
[close]

How are you liking it? Just got the bigger Thaynan version of that board. Not going to get to skate it for a bit but was very into the graphic and shape.
Love how snappy it is but definitely takes time getting used to after pretty regular shape.

JB77

« Reply #25493 on: September 01, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Quasi 8.5”
Thunder mids
Jessup
Reds

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure it’s just a funny marketing term they made up for their decks with day-glo color dip. More info in this writeup:

Expand Quote
We reached out to Quasi to ask them about his new Acid Ply collection and what it really was all about. Q at Quasi told us verbatim “Acid Ply is a technology unlike any other, it doesn’t rely on any novelty materials or any sort of special production. It solely relies on VIBES.” So what we can decipher from that is there really isn’t any new technology put into these decks per se
[close]
Source: https://thedrop.com/featured-drops/trip-out-on-this-acid-ply-collection-from-quasi-skateboards/

Far out! 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #25494 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
My AcidPly had some pretty good vibes, to be fair.

FROTHY

« Reply #25495 on: September 01, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »
I'm not sure how I'd feel riding something with good vibes. I'm so used to normal boards.

thespacewolf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #25496 on: September 01, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »

Polar 8.38″ Arigato Shape
Thunder 148 Team Hollow Lights
Fresh Spitfire Tablets
Bones Bearings

Ft. Obi the pug

Banned from the room

« Reply #25497 on: September 01, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »

Venture LO 5.2
Swiss
Spitfire F4 52mm

Wow. That graphic is so sick.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
« Reply #25498 on: September 01, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »

Fresh Spitfire Tablets
Bones Bearings

Ft. Obi the pug

That's a nice looking set up and shout out to Obi.....

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1134
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25499 on: September 01, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Fresh Spitfire Tablets
Bones Bearings

Ft. Obi the pug
[close]

That's a nice looking set up and shout out to Obi.....

Something’s telling me there’s not a whole lot going on upstairs for ol Obi.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.