Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4814870 times)

Safariferrari and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #29190 on: September 30, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
That thing looks fucking crazy haha
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #29191 on: September 30, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »
Expand Quote
It's like you guys are trying to exacerbate my big wheel addiction
Expand Quote
Here's my most recent setup. As I've said in some wheel threads I was curious about Mini Cubics so I got some. I already tried riding them inside out on some Aces, that was fun but the grinding area on my trucks was way too small as I kinda knew it would so I set this bad boy up. I had to do some math comparing Mini Cubics to wheels I'm already riding to determine how wide my trucks would need to be for a somewhat normal sized board (I didn't have any interest in making another Powell 80s setup, I have a Mountain with some Rat Bones that I like), and found that if I used trucks with a 7.625" axle, the wheels would jut out past a 9" deck just a little bit, so I dug around my garage for old trucks and found some Orion "SP1"s painted white from the early 2000s. I fucked up the grip job by underestimating how much grip I would need and since I was at the park (I noted to myself to not waste time setting up boards at the skatepark for a number of reasons, but in this particular instance I don't have my stash of skate shit to use when I need it) I had to improvise with the scraps that I had, and managed to get this rainbowish thing in the middle.

Anyways, I was kinda making this setup because I knew it would look and probably skate ridiculous and stupid and to my surprise the thing actually skates really well. It's about as heavy as my East Coast street setup inspired by mid 90s big wheel renaissance in Philadelphia, goes way faster, can crack higher ollies and has more room for error on manuals because of how high the wheels and risers make it. My biggest surprise is that flip tricks don't feel too bad on this thing, I can switch flip it just as good as any of my other boards. A couple of weak points to the setup are that either the trucks are too tight or I overestimated how big the risers needed to be, however I still need to break in the Bones mediums that I put on the Orions (they fit really well by the way, that took me by surprise) so I'll give myself a week or two to let the bushings break in before I decide to mess with that more. Additionally, I have to aim my trucks onto whatever I'm grinding or I will do an edger and potentially eat some major shit, which is turning out to be a bigger issue than I originally suspected it would be.

EDIT: image embed isn't showing the images for some reason and I don't have the time to resize the photos I took of my setup to what the fucking shitty ass attachment thing demands each file size to be so I'll provide photos later but you're just gonna have to use your imagination for now, I have a 9" Red Curbs shop deck with the firecracker company ripoff logo as the graphic. Board's honestly not meeting my expectations: the truck holes are not in the middle of the board and it's pretty easy to tell, it's very mellow (and I like mellow boards normally, but not this time) and it came with a small chip in the nose which I didn't notice at the shop when I picked it up

EDIT #2: so the image attachment thing gave an error, but when I looked at the post the attachment made it through, so idk wtf is going on anymore
[close]

These things are fucking monstrosities and I really appreciate that you had the follow-through to use them
[close]

Lol thanks man yeah they indeed are monstrosities. I've been buying useless skate shit my whole life so these weren't too different, of course I had the follow through

that thing looks fun for bombing hills..95a mini-cubics?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29192 on: September 30, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here's my most recent setup. As I've said in some wheel threads I was curious about Mini Cubics so I got some. I already tried riding them inside out on some Aces, that was fun but the grinding area on my trucks was way too small as I kinda knew it would so I set this bad boy up. I had to do some math comparing Mini Cubics to wheels I'm already riding to determine how wide my trucks would need to be for a somewhat normal sized board (I didn't have any interest in making another Powell 80s setup, I have a Mountain with some Rat Bones that I like), and found that if I used trucks with a 7.625" axle, the wheels would jut out past a 9" deck just a little bit, so I dug around my garage for old trucks and found some Orion "SP1"s painted white from the early 2000s. I fucked up the grip job by underestimating how much grip I would need and since I was at the park (I noted to myself to not waste time setting up boards at the skatepark for a number of reasons, but in this particular instance I don't have my stash of skate shit to use when I need it) I had to improvise with the scraps that I had, and managed to get this rainbowish thing in the middle.

Anyways, I was kinda making this setup because I knew it would look and probably skate ridiculous and stupid and to my surprise the thing actually skates really well. It's about as heavy as my East Coast street setup inspired by mid 90s big wheel renaissance in Philadelphia, goes way faster, can crack higher ollies and has more room for error on manuals because of how high the wheels and risers make it. My biggest surprise is that flip tricks don't feel too bad on this thing, I can switch flip it just as good as any of my other boards. A couple of weak points to the setup are that either the trucks are too tight or I overestimated how big the risers needed to be, however I still need to break in the Bones mediums that I put on the Orions (they fit really well by the way, that took me by surprise) so I'll give myself a week or two to let the bushings break in before I decide to mess with that more. Additionally, I have to aim my trucks onto whatever I'm grinding or I will do an edger and potentially eat some major shit, which is turning out to be a bigger issue than I originally suspected it would be.

EDIT: image embed isn't showing the images for some reason and I don't have the time to resize the photos I took of my setup to what the fucking shitty ass attachment thing demands each file size to be so I'll provide photos later but you're just gonna have to use your imagination for now, I have a 9" Red Curbs shop deck with the firecracker company ripoff logo as the graphic. Board's honestly not meeting my expectations: the truck holes are not in the middle of the board and it's pretty easy to tell, it's very mellow (and I like mellow boards normally, but not this time) and it came with a small chip in the nose which I didn't notice at the shop when I picked it up

EDIT #2: so the image attachment thing gave an error, but when I looked at the post the attachment made it through, so idk wtf is going on anymore
[close]

These things are fucking monstrosities and I really appreciate that you had the follow-through to use them
[close]

Lol thanks man yeah they indeed are monstrosities. I've been buying useless skate shit my whole life so these weren't too different, of course I had the follow through
[close]

that thing looks fun for bombing hills..95a mini-cubics?

that's correct, 95a 64mm dia 57mm wide. I'm not much of a hill bomber these days but I'd be open to try one out on this thing

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #29193 on: September 30, 2021, 03:52:24 PM »

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 215
« Reply #29194 on: September 30, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »
Please post a clip of you rolling on that thing!!

Fhk

« Reply #29195 on: September 30, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
Please post a clip of you rolling locking onto a rail on that thing!!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29196 on: September 30, 2021, 04:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure thing folks! I'll whip something up and have it to y'all tomorrow

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29197 on: September 30, 2021, 11:19:32 PM »

Promade 8.0 - Steep kicks and concave, the nose is just a hair longer than the tail, so its almost twin tail in length, steepness goes well with Venture Forged, 8 x 31.8 x 14.25
Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo - Has an itch that needed to be scratched, more about that below, I usually do 3 washers on the inside but I may need to go back to 2
Autobahn 52mm Street Slims - Didn't feel like cracking open new F4s and had these lying around, Autobahn is definitely underrated
Assorted Bearings
Assorted Hardware - Couldn't find s set of matching hardware in 7/8" (2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 silver, 3 black), so I stuck the 2 reds at the nose and used a paint marker on the rest
Jessup griptape

First time riding an 8.0 in over a year, sized down because I wanted to get the legendary Venture Lo pinch back. Width was the easier to get used to, dimensions were tougher, usually avoid WB longer than 14.125. Sizing down did make the pop much easier but my timing was off for 1/2 the session, definitely felt less confident on rail tricks. Flips were also easier, but I had to shorten by drag and flick off faster.

On to the trucks - while the rest of the setup was a nightmare for the first 2 hours, the pinch on Venture was INSANELY GOOD. Coupled with a smaller wheel (I'm not riding 54mm wheels on a 8.0), I felt like I could hold my Crooked grinds much longer and exit much more confidently, Slight Nollie out beats flopping off the end. Also felt confident enough to do some BS Smiths on the ledge, something very hit and miss for me.

Setting up the board had a sense of foreshadowing - if the setup process ain't feeling right (with the hardware), prospects aren't looking good for the setup. But once I stopped whining it and got adjusted it was fine. Not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze - all that adjustment just to ride Ventures.

1 3-hour session isn't enough to pass judgement, so we'll see how the weekend goes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #29198 on: September 30, 2021, 11:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hell yeah shout out Red Curbs. Such a good shop. Love those guys

Global Moderator

« Reply #29199 on: October 01, 2021, 06:40:16 AM »
Got re-hyped on Alien after watching that Puleo video.

7.875 Spectrum reshaped to a 7.5.
Venture Low 5.0
BoardyCakes 44mm Fat Bundts

bennduko

• Rep: 0
« Reply #29200 on: October 01, 2021, 06:50:51 AM »

Venture Low 5.0

Did you reshape that by yourself?

Global Moderator

« Reply #29201 on: October 01, 2021, 07:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Venture Low 5.0
[close]

Yes… I’ve been shaping boards for almost a decade now, around when most brands stopped making 7.5/7.625

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #29202 on: October 01, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture Low 5.0
[close]

[close]

Yes… I’ve been shaping boards for almost a decade now, around when most brands stopped making 7.5/7.625

This is the type of shit I love to see here! I humbly request progress pics when you start your next project

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #29203 on: October 01, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »

Venture Low 5.0

I skated 3 of these back to back and it was so much fun. I love the fatter nose makes slides come a lot easier. I wish I had venture lows to try with this deck I ended up mainly skating it with venture light 5.2 highs. Great job on reshaping it man it looks sick

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #29204 on: October 01, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »

Venture Low 5.0

Siiiiick
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

nevrwasben

« Reply #29205 on: October 01, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »

Venture Low 5.0
2 bolts per truck?!!
Pure psycho shit right there

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 468
« Reply #29206 on: October 01, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture Low 5.0
[close]
2 bolts per truck?!!
Pure psycho shit right there

Looks like all four. Grip over two? Still, pure psycho shit :)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #29207 on: October 01, 2021, 06:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

as promised, here's some clips

If anyone could let me know how to embed instagram posts I would appreciate it.

Edit: figured out embedding, you have to keep the slash at the end of the url I guess
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:31:16 AM by dr.prestige »

Fhk

« Reply #29208 on: October 01, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUgilfoFyaT

That was incredible. It died an commendable death.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #29209 on: October 01, 2021, 08:08:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

At least it died a warrior's death. You are officially the big wheel god

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29210 on: October 01, 2021, 08:58:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

sic skating..

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #29211 on: October 02, 2021, 12:49:20 AM »
8.8 unknown blank
Venture 6.1 (Krux bushings)
Swiss
Speedlab 58mm (56mm now)
tba credit union

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #29212 on: October 02, 2021, 01:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

sic skating..

Yeah man sick

Dam can't believe the tail went on that Tre
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #29213 on: October 02, 2021, 05:18:41 AM »
Bday Deck

Hockey 9" (15"wb)
Ace AF1 66
Spitfire F4 Classics 60mm 99d
Minilogo bearings
Mob Grip
1" Indy hardware

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #29214 on: October 02, 2021, 05:55:09 AM »

Love Frank so I grabbed his guest board

8.28 x 14.1 x 31.7 mason shape
53 f4 seasons Collab classics
Super Swiss 6
Venture 5.6 with the Ti hangar cast plate combo. Riptide cups and supercush bushings

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #29215 on: October 02, 2021, 06:09:24 AM »
9" Polar
169 Titaniums
54mm F4 99a
Super Reds

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29216 on: October 02, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
9" Polar
169 Titaniums
54mm F4 99a
Super Reds

what a beaut
hardly art, hardly starving

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29217 on: October 02, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
9" Polar
169 Titaniums
54mm F4 99a
Super Reds

wheelwells looks great..

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29218 on: October 02, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »

Love Frank so I grabbed his guest board

8.28 x 14.1 x 31.7 mason shape
53 f4 seasons Collab classics
Super Swiss 6
Venture 5.6 with the Ti hangar cast plate combo. Riptide cups and supercush bushings

I’m fucking with this
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fhk

« Reply #29219 on: October 02, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
9" Polar
169 Titaniums
54mm F4 99a
Super Reds

Clean! I love the Polar 9" pops too. I finally gave in after waiting two drops for one w/o wheel wells. I hope they line up with Ace 66s..if that's how ww's work  :-[